• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Community |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

I honestly prefer the fanart where Kuvira looks like an actual human being and not a humorless bitch.
tumblr_nqx0jo2luJ1tibkx1o1_1280.jpg

http://kuvirasenpai.tumblr.com/post/123148694144/sleepysenshi-commission-for
3434_by_agussw-d8l1ivi.jpg

http://agussw.deviantart.com/art/Kuvira-The-Uniter-519072462
There is so much legit swag in that one.
tumblr_nqflu50wrQ1sgp36no1_500.jpg

Hana-Designs is legit.
http://hana-designs.tumblr.com/post/122310907857/wow-wowowow-so-much-kuvira-angst-i-have-piling-up

Toa TAK

Banned
Yeah yeah whatever. It's funny that Satch has revived the thread for today.

I hoe they give me my soundtrack soon. :(

Ray Down

Banned
Any word on who is writing these? Will Yang and Gurihiru stick to the ATLA side of things?

Thanks for posting the news here btw!

Don't know, I'm just getting info from my brother who is there.

All I know is that they are both helping though both have there own projects going on.
From the panel Mike is helping at least for the first three.

Will probably hear who else is working on it soon.

More Korra via comics is fine I guess, I'm just kind of bummed that they are practically expanding on events of the finale that should've just been in the damn finale.

Toa TAK

Banned
You mean bisexual adventures in the spirit world?
Lesbi honest, it's what most of the fandom wanted anyways, right?

I admit it.
Book 4 Artbook cover:
CJkbMVtWgAEqA7A.jpg
Where's Kuvira
The fuck Nick train still goes on.

It's vindictive at this point
It must be.

It's a bigger bummer considering Zuckerman was contacted about trying to release it not too long ago and he's frustrated with it, too.
funny!!!!
<3

Ray Down

Banned

I admit it.

Where's Kuvira

It must be.

It's a bigger bummer considering Zuckerman was contacted about trying to release it not too long ago and he's frustrated with it, too.

<3

Not on the cover anymore but here something from the artbook.
CJkk7pBWoAQw4Fw.jpg

He must have made an enemy there or something.

Can't imagine how frustrated he is, having such great music and not being able to official release music to his fans I'd be heartbroken.

Especially after the Book 1 soundtrack sold well.

You mean bisexual adventures in the spirit world?

Well, from the description it sounded like it was going to cover stuff that happened in the finale that they spent no time on because they had to get to dat sweet sweet Korrasami ending. Things like, what the fuck is gonna actually happen to the city and what the other characters are going to be doing, etc.

I just thought the ending seemed a bit rushed and they glosses over a lot of things. Just kind of weird for them to sort of go about it this way, but hey at least it's something!

Huh, I hope Dimartino steps up his writing game. The beautiful fight choreography, animation, and score won't be around to carry the series this time.

Hamlet

Yay at the Korra comics. Also the Book 4 Artbook cover look great.
A few tidbits from the panel from jennyatsdcc.
The focus of the first three volumes will be focusing on Korrasami and the aftermath of the finale, no big time jumps.
As Bryan mentioned earlier it’s hard for him to let go of the characters to another team, so he was hesitant because he didn’t think they’d find another dream team, but then Mike was like “Oh, I want to write them” and now he’s super excited. Still finding an artist!
Mike will be scripting, but Bryan will consult on art and story.
People might be disappointed they’re not doing an animated series, but Mike points out it gives them the freedom to do other things they wouldn’t have been able to otherwise. Very excited for what’s to come!

Jacob

Huh, I hope Dimartino steps up his writing game. The beautiful fight choreography, animation, and score won't be around to carry the series this time.

What we really need is some Aaron Ehasz-authored comics!

Well, they shouldn't be more meh than the Avatar comics I guess.

I kinda envy you for having even this bare minimum of optimism about the future of this franchise. I haven't felt that since the one-two punch of The Search and TLOK Book 2. :p

What we really need is some Aaron Ehasz-authored comics!

I'm sure he's doing valuable work at Riot Games, but, fuck, what I wouldn't give to have him working on the Avatar franchise again. I would buy those comics in a heartbeat.

I kinda envy you for having even this bare minimum of optimism about the future of this franchise. I haven't felt that since the one-two punch of The Search and TLOK Book 2. :p

Was The Search really that bad? I've been on the verge of buying it for like a year-and-a-half now, but the negative opinions always stop me.

animation isn't an issue anymore, give Kuvira her goddamn braid back
This, I don't care how many animators it would've killed she should've never lost it in the first place.
Book 4 Artbook cover:
CJkbMVtWgAEqA7A.jpg
They had one fucking job...

I admit it.
They better break Kuvira out of prison or give her a rehabilitation arc, she's actually pretty popular with the Tumblr fandom so they shouldn't ignore her.

Jacob

Was The Search really that bad? I've been on the verge of buying it for like a year-and-a-half now, but the negative opinions always stop me.

Objectively it's probably a little bit better than The Promise, but I absolutely hate the explanation they give for where Ursa is. Zero foreshadowing or relation to anything that happened in the show itself. Don't wanna give too many spoilers if you're thinking about reading it but I found it utterly unsatisfying from an emotional perspective. It had plenty of nonsensical plot points as well and they tie the Spirit World in in a way that contradicts the spirit of some statements in ATLA Book 1, if not their literal meaning. It also retcons some of the Fire National royal family's dynamics in a way that puts a very different spin on events in ATLA.

Basically I just pretend the comics don't exist most of the time, because I've read actual fanfics that do the same thing better. If this was really Bryke's plan for Zuko's mom all along, then all I can say is thank god they didn't include that in the ATLA finale like they had initially planned.

EDIT: because I know some people feel differently about The Search I'll elaborate on specifics behind spoiler bars. Seriously, don't click if you want to get the reveal yourself.
So it turns out that Ursa was in the Fire Nation the whole time; she went back to her home village and eloped with her old teenage sweetheart. But Ozai knew about this guy so Ursa and bae went to some spirit with face powers and Ursa's physical appearance was altered. She agreed to do this even knowing that it would erase her memories of much of her life, including her children. This is like a few weeks at most after she left and told Zuko to "never forget who you are". Her husband keeps all of his memories and knows that Ursa was the Fire Lady but she doesn't know anything and doesn't recognize Zuko when he meets her later on. Also, the face spirit they meet is not Koh but his mother, despite the whole reason for Aang seeking out Koh in the Book 1 finale being that he was one of the oldest spirits around. Dunno why he couldn't have visited Koh's mother, particularly since she's a lot less evil. Also, spirits reproduce like humans and have children? No, this is never elaborated on. Anyway, there are also a number of flashbacks to before Ursa disappeared and it turns out that she was NOT banished because she killed Azulon ... Ozai did that. All Ursa did was brew up a batch of poison for Ozai to use, because apparently the ability to make poisons that can simulate death by natural causes is known to only a tiny handful of people and there weren't any other people with this knowledge in the Fire Nation Capital. I guess? But also, Ozai knew that Ursa was staying in touch with her old lover and he thought that Zuko wasn't his son, which is why he favored Azula. And even after Ursa leaves he doesn't treat Zuko poorly because (as ATLA stated) Zuko wasn't as competent as Azula and Ozai was a sociopath who valued his children purely for their usefulness to him, but rather he did so as a way of spiting his ex-wife.

Yo book 2 may have blown hot chunks, but the finale blew my mind.

Much as I respect your persistence in pulling for the Book 2 finale, I still think it was the diarrhea icing of the shit cake that was Book 2. Not just cause of the kaiju battle but Asami being shoved off to the side, Jinora powers out of nowhere, etc...

Trey

Book 2 finale was really hype in spite of the Jinora ex machina and it capping off a mediocre at best season.

Wanderer5

Least the comics been improving heh. I like Gene Luen Yang a lot (I definitely recommend his American Born Chinese and Boxers & Saints) alongside with Mike & Bryan, but man was the Promise quite crappy heh. Hope Smoke and Shadow and now whatever with Korra will keep the ball rolling.

Also hi Korra statue, and eh lol. Those eyes, and wish they did a better pose heh, like the one on the book 3 artbook cover.:p

Top Bottom