• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Infinity War Day One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I hated Vision picking up the hammer too. I'm not a hardcore comic book reader or anything, I just thought that sort of thing should have been saved for a better character at a later time.
They prematurely blew their wad.

The Kree

Banned
There was hope last year that since Fox needed Marvel's approval for any X-Men TV series, that there'd be something tied to Fox geting to do Legion and the X-Men/mutant show they're working on in exchange for the rights, but that never amounted to anything.
I think James Gunn already said who they traded those for and it wasn't those characters. I think it was Ego.

Anth0ny

What.

What.

It was awesome.

What should have been THE moment to "Cap" off the MCU was wasted on fucking Vision, a character no one gives a fuck about.

It was worth it for the collective audience reaction alone. Whedon set that shit up perfectly.

it was a swerve for the sake of a swerve

of course everyone reacted

then you think about it for 2 minutes and realize just how dumb it was

what was the follow up for vision in civil war? the moment was totally wasted

I know. It should've been saved for CAP against Thanos.

ding ding ding

Phased

Ubm3wg8.png

One of the better characters right next to one of the most boring.

I guess that's one way to make Thor more interesting: by association.

I know. It should've been saved for CAP against Thanos.

I mean they still teased in AoU that Cap has the potential to fully lift it. Maybe Thor goes down and Vision tries picking it up and can't in IW (Since he's no longer just an innocent child.....robot man) cue "Oh no the hammer is useless!" from the audience and then BAM good old Captain America can finally pick it up.

- J - D -

I saw Age of Ultron twice in theaters and both times, the scene with Cap making Mjolnir budge got a way bigger reaction than Vision lifting the hammer. People are way more invested in Cap, and seeing him be the only other character in the MCU be able to lift the hammer in Infinity War would have been an iconic moment. But as it is, the impact's already lost because some other character (offputting sweater robot man) has already done it.

I mean they still teased in AoU that Cap has the potential to fully lift it, maybe Thor goes down and Vision tries picking it up and can't (Since he's no longer just a innocent child.....robot man) cue "Oh no the hammer is useless" from the auidence and BAM good old Captain America finally can pick it up.

I'm okay with this.

I think James Gunn already said who they traded those for and it wasn't those characters. I think it was Ego.

The Ego trade was his rights for letting Fox change the powerset of Negasonic Teenage Warhead (in the comics, I believe she can see into the future or something like that).

gimmmick

Does this movie really have a half a billion dollar budget?

It's a 2 part movie. Disney is probably putting all it's marbles with infinity war making bank. I hope to god it delivers. We have been waiting for 9 - 10 years for this build up.

Anth0ny

Did there need to be a follow up in Civil War? Thor and his hammer wasn't in it.

For a character worthy enough to pick up Thor's hammer, he didn't seem worthy enough to have more than 10 minutes of screentime or any significant role in the story.

what was the follow up for vision in civil war?

ding ding ding
Being at the airport fight doing fuck-all, until he'd reappear to laser things, then disappear and not be involved in the fighting at all until.they used him as a plot device to hurt rhodey.

The Kree

Banned
For a character worthy enough to pick up Thor's hammer, he didn't seem worthy enough to have more than 10 minutes of screentime or any significant role in the story.

OK, you're just bitching to bitch. If you payed attention to the words between the explosions, his role in both movies is fine.

BLACKLAC

He was a brand new being, for all we know he was just an innocent infant deemed worthy because of the stone and Jarvis combination. His opinion on the Accords was wise, his dialog in AoU was wise, and he was mostly neutral in the Airport fight.

Being at the airport fight doing fuck-all, until he'd reappear to laser things, then disappear and not be involved in the fighting at all until.they used him as a plot device to hurt rhodey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwbpK8TQ3vY

Anth0ny

Yup. And with everything going on in Infinity War, I don't expect him to have much of a role in those films, either.

Hoping Cap gets the moment in Infinity War, but man it would have been sweet if someone other than Thor hadn't already picked it up.

czcj4g26m57v73lp9gc8-aps5l.gif

:)

- J - D -

Thanos is a simple man. He likes his evening workouts, a glass of the finest wine and the rarest collection of Infinity Stones in the entire universe.

Simple farmer man Thanos is my favorite Thanos.

eOfj0qN.jpg

I want the Avengers to roll up on him in his garden and he's just planting vegetables.

Blader

Interesting that Tom Holland has mo-cap balls on his hands. At first glance I thought the location was

They just did a Facebook Live Q&A with Downey, Pratt, Holland, and the Russos, and Holland had those same mo-cap balls on his face, too. Maybe it's for molding the mask's facial expressions?

(one of my friends from college was on set shooting that Q&A. What a crazy, small world.)

Faustek

It's not a comprehensive list. Spidey, Falcon, and War Machine will also likely appear, as will Mantis, and if they're including Captain Marvel, they should probably include Wasp, too.

Ugh, I still can't believe their going with thought Police Danvers. That character has never been anything of interest and to force that crap in Civil War II? Yeah, only movie I ain't looking forward to and will probably not bother to watch until it hits a Netflix or something similar I have.

What should have been THE moment to "Cap" off the MCU was wasted on fucking Vision, a character no one gives a fuck about.

ding ding ding

Have you read the latest Vision series? Because I didn't give a crap about the Vision either until then. He got interesting with his damn psychotic breakdown and "family".
But yes, that would have been so much better if Cap managed to actually really lift it and not just scuff it. Then again I'll think we'll see it now. Cap jumping in, with Mjolnir, slamming Thanos as he just shrugs it off.

GET. FUCKING. HYPE!!

10 YEARS BOYS, 10 FUCKING YEARS AND ITS ALMOST HERE?!?@!@

Heh, wonder how long some people have waited for this. Me myself I was totally content with Lou Ferrigno and never did I dream that my damn geeky comic books would get movies that made mad money.

The Argus

So is the whole Thanos build up really going to be spoiled on one movie? Or are we expecting Avengers 4 to continue the story, but they're just keeping the title secret to avoid spoilers. I'd love 3 to end with
everyone dead or completely defeated

cj_iwakura

Simple farmer man Thanos is my favorite Thanos.

eOfj0qN.jpg

I want the Avengers to roll up on him in his garden and he's just planting vegetables.

They look like they got that look down.

Still wish he didn't have pupils.

Also, Adam Warlock is a must. Still surprised they aren't using him in GotG2. So he just up and left after his major role in the first one?

So is the whole Thanos build up really going to be spoiled on one movie? Or are we expecting Avengers 4 to continue the story, but they're just keeping the title secret to avoid spoilers. I'd love 3 to end with
everyone dead or completely defeated

I'm pretty sure they're setting the character up to have The Avengers take him on in the second part of the Infinity War's (aka Avengers 4). At least that's what I imagine will happen anyway.

Faustek

I now want this film to be filmed as a documentary with Thanos giving the narration and account.

Yes David, it's true that I had slaughtered half of the population in the universe and presented the souls as a gift to Lady Death. She was still not content so I might... Well yes I better just come out and say it. I erased everything in existence. Not my most favourable moment but I did set it right afterwards.

ZeoVGM

Banned

ding ding ding

The moment wasn't wasted. It will still be just as impactful when Cap does it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Did there need to be a follow up in Civil War? Thor and his hammer wasn't in it.

They could have at least not made Vision a cunt/fuckup in Civil War.

Faustek

Just hit me, they changed the origin of the Soul Gems. Weren't they presented as the remains of a being that existed before the Universe? Or am I miss remembering my comics.

But they're not.

Hope so because last time I heard it was the Civil War II Danvers we where supposed to get. And yes I'm taking your username into account. So you better not be tricking me Kree.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Just hit me, they changed the origin of the Soul Gems. Weren't they presented as the remains of a being that existed before the Universe? Or am I miss remembering my comics.

That's how they were explained in Thanos Quest, yes.

People keep saying this like they seriously expected 12 straight movies of Thanos squashing superheroes. LOL None of these movies have been about him yet.
I mean, he's been pulling the strings for a lot of shit in the universe and he's failed hard at it.

This movie is about him, so if he doesn't murder some Avengers he's gonna look like a bitch like every other inept MCU villain. Really, outside of some plot contrivance to save the day, the whole team should be getting destroyed, especially once he has the gauntlet.

TAJ

If an asgardian with mjolnir can't beat thanos, how the hell did Captain America with mjolnir can beat thanos?

He can't. It's still a great moment.

BLACKLAC

I mean, he's been pulling the strings for a lot of shit in the universe and he's failed hard at it.

The only strings he has pulled is in Avengers 1 and Guardians 1 and guardians was close with Ronan fixing to bring Thanos the stone (thinking he had Thanos beat) until the guardians wrecked his shit.

Ithil

The Ego trade was his rights for letting Fox change the powerset of Negasonic Teenage Warhead (in the comics, I believe she can see into the future or something like that).

I want to see one of these haggling sessions between Marvel and Fox execs.
"We will trade you three mutants and Annihilus, for a Celestial and two Inhumans"

"Throw in Doctor Doom and we have a deal"

"No dice, Feige!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom