• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aviary Attorney |OT| Caw and Order

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
f1ycg01.jpg

SoulUnison

Banned
It looks like there's definitely some effort and love put into this, but it's a little *too* derivative, for my liking.
Also, while the art style is amusing for a bit, it begins to feel a bit claustrophobic. I need some color and animation to make things more...approachable.

jjasso21

This sounds amazing. I misread it as Ace Attorney and behold it is a parody of it. The premise of it does seem interesting though, so I'll probably pick it up.

Any word on when backers will get their steam key ?

Can't wait to play it, it will be my Christmas game. Provided I can download it quickly as I'm moving out of my current apartment by wednesday.

I like the choice to use this art style. Also, this just reminds me that I still need to try at least one Ace Attorney game. Oh, and I love the screenshot with the line about the Cult of Reason.

Sölf

Man, I should play Xenoblade Chronicles X. That game will just end in my backlog with 50% mainstory completed. But I REALLY need this! D:

Nzyme32

A little more expensive than I was anticipating, but chances are I'll cave during the sale anyway. Still need to work out what other Ace Attorney type games there are around Steam / Mobile, since I doubt I'll be picking up a DS anytime soon

Seriously, this dialogue is straight up my alley. Lots of animal puns, jokes, and references. A bit into ACT 1 and there's even the iconic
ladder/stepladder
Phoenix Wright joke.

Only a bit in, but honestly it already feels like a must buy for anyone that enjoys PW and its style of humor.
The only thing that feels missing is more detail on the evidences - I'd like to look at the photograph again and it doesn't seem to let me.

ACT 1 SPOILERS
It was pretty easy, and the fact that, at least for now, can only present evidences after pressing statements makes it easier, but I like the 'questioning paths' and the jury system. It's super interesting, to be honest, and it should get harder anyway. Feels a bit more like Harvey Birdman than PW in gameplay, but the style is very much PW.
The case was pretty straight-forward with the missing silverware, missing clockhands, and heck, even the 'red herring', which was a great joke by itself. I also did NOT expect the twist in the end which is giving me high hopes for the rest of the game. The visual style and sound choices are really really good too. Outright loving it, even if it feels a bit short at the beginning.

Makonero

Downloading it now! For the record, according to the backer email:

It feels fantastic to finally launch the game, but there is a small caveat: one of the three endings is currently unfinished. We have resolved to release an update that completes this ending (and any inevitable bugs and spelling mistakes we find) within the next two to three days.

So if you want to wait a few days while the sale is still ongoing ($12.74 instead of $14.99 in the US til Dec 28) that's probably a good idea.

So would this be worth checking out for someone who never played an Ace Attorney, but enjoyed LA Noire and Her Story? The art looks wonderful

petghost

Banned
i think this game is amazing so far. very charming dialogue, lovely art and great music by Camille Saint-Saëns. definitely something that ace attorney fans should try.

So.. How are the investigation phases?

Seriously. If Phoenix Wright games were just 20% investigation and 80% trial, it would be my favorite series ever.

Also, is this just a PW-esque game? Collect evidence, present evidence at trial to crack witnesses and win a case?

If so, I might actually pick this up.

I backed this game a while back, and I got my Steam code a little while ago.

I'm very eager to play this once I get back home from work. I love Ace Attorney, so I needed to back this game's Kickstarter.

petghost

Banned
So.. How are the investigation phases?

Seriously. If Phoenix Wright games were just 20% investigation and 80% trial, it would be my favorite series ever.

Also, is this just a PW-esque game? Collect evidence, present evidence at trial to crack witnesses and win a case?

If so, I might actually pick this up.

im only one trial in but it is virtually identical to a PW game in all things relating to gameplay so far. there are some nice little conveniences though like instead of having to listen to a witnesses testimony over and over again to pick which phrase to follow up on you are simply given a transcript with underlined words to indicate what line of questioning that phrase will lead to.

but yeah its a PW game in everything except presentation and the presentation (writing, art and music) are all great. the tone is very light hearted and silly like a PW game too.

I actually like the investigations here more. I'm in Act 2 and the day system is really interesting - you can actually lose days, setting you back in your progress, which makes so you can't go doing everything randomly.

I don't remember how long it took me for the first case, but I think it was around 40 minutes, with fast text speed. I did just finish Act II in a little over 3 hours, since the investigation style stimulates replaying, though. (I lost 3 days through stupidity in my first go and probably would not have been able to have beaten the case).

Act 3 seems to be around double the size of 2 too.
Considering the smaller price the overall story seems really worth it so far as well, and I love basically every character. It's really really good.

ACT 2 SPOILERS
Love the Mouse and the Fox <3

I am definitely replaying it again tho, because I already noticed some dialogue flair I missed.

Makonero

I beat Act 1. I'm probably going to replay the last day because I missed out on the flavor text from questioning the witnesses, because the language suggested I'd be punished for inquiring about things that didn't matter. Even though I love Phoenix Wright and they also say that exact same thing in those games, I was scared of ending the court case prematurely because I asked questions about every underlined word. But it doesn't seem to punish me after all, so I'm going back.

Other thoughts: the writing is spot-on! I'm glad they were able to afford an editor because it clearly paid off. Characters are charming, funny, and not rip-offs of Phoenix Wright and crew.

Act 1 spoilers:

That is an excellent way to subvert traditional Phoenix Wright tropes! Already this world is more gray ethically (combined with breaking in to the photographer's house) than anything in Phoenix Wright

Also, Bird-Jesus reference! Praise Helix!.

Sölf

I also finished Act 1. That was pretty good and I love the characters. Especially Falcon and Sparrowson are just awesome. And all those references and gags, god, I really didn't expect that many when I first started it, but it's great! xD

And all praise Bird-Jesus!

Finished the first case, nice
turnabout
. Overall, by contrast, the game offer a pretty convincing demonstration of the brilllance of Shu Takumi in characters and dialogues in PW; still a good visual novel thought, with a great classical soundtrack and the endearing animal gravures of Granville.

Tizoc

Just beat the first case
wot in the name of Bird-Jesus...
I feel like I should've taken the painting in the Artist's house, but everything seems to point at the Baron being the murderer although I COULD see the girl being the murder instead with her planting evidence.
This is quickly going into my GotY list

georly

So is this basically bird ace attorney or is it really different? Like, it looks like bird ace attorney... but does it play like ace attorney? How are they the same? How are they different (gameplay-wise)?

For those of you that have now played both - worth getting as an AA fan?

Tizoc

So is this basically bird ace attorney or is it really different? Like, it looks like bird ace attorney... but does it play like ace attorney? How are they the same? How are they different (gameplay-wise)?

For those of you that have now played both - worth getting as an AA fan?

I say yes, if you particularity like the dialog and wording in the AA games, that can be seen in this game as well.
IF YOU want something to scratch that AA itch, def. get this game.

Tizoc

Just finished Act 2
Now that was a nice case, Romulus' 'breakdown' would've been a lot better if there was more animation or we had a shot of the crowd as they end up agreeing with Jayjay.

Also Cocorico manages in 1 chapter, what took Edgeworth 3 chapters of AA1 to realize :p

'Prince Jaun' was a great character too,
really loving all the characters in this game so far
This is amazing.

Shame it will be largely ignored because of the christmas sale ;(

TBH I am rather tempted to make a giveaway of a copy, even though I am a backer :X

Top Bottom