• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aviary Attorney |OT| Caw and Order

Sölf

Finished Act 2.
I had the pen, but nothing else or I just was plain stupied. I had no evidence to prove the judge was at the scene, so Cygne got convicted. Can I somehow avoid that? It seemed like that. Also, with case 4 having multiple endings, do the triggers for those start as early as Act 1?

Sölf;190301463 said:
Finished Act 2.
I had the pen, but nothing else or I just was plain stupied. I had no evidence to prove the judge was at the scene, so Cygne got convicted. Can I somehow avoid that? It seemed like that. Also, with case 4 having multiple endings, do the triggers for those start as early as Act 1?

Right, when
you explore the Louvre, there's one room with Roman artifacts you can check out. There's an amphora you can investigate that will give you a lead towards what you're trying to find.

As for the ending triggers, iirc they only are in Act 3.

Sölf

Right, when
you explore the Louvre, there's one room with Roman artifacts you can check out. There's an amphora you can investigate that will give you a lead towards what you're trying to find.

As for the ending triggers, iirc they only are in Act 3.

Well, I got the chocolate wrapper, went to the chocolate shop but didn't ask the owner if the judge went there (tried with Cygne, Howl and Juan, after that I checked other locations). So, that would be the only thing I could think of, to get a sort of testimony from him.

Sölf;190302600 said:
Well, I got the chocolate wrapper, went to the chocolate shop but didn't ask the owner if the judge went there (tried with Cygne, Howl and Juan, after that I checked other locations). So, that would be the only thing I could think of, to get a sort of testimony from him.

You have to ask the chocolate salesman about the judge, he'll give you another piece of evidence.

Sölf

Well, I'll do that tomorrow then. The time limit stuff is actually really interesting in that regard, as that you actually really can "fail" cases. I basically only missed this because after asking about 3 people I was told to come back another day - for which I had no time after that. xD

Saprol

i fumbled the hell out of act 2 just now. wasted so many days in the investigation lol

edit: noooooo the incomplete ending. what are the odds. blue balling myself and everybody watching my stream LOL

Tizoc

i fumbled the hell out of act 2 just now. wasted so many days in the investigation lol

edit: noooooo the incomplete ending. what are the odds. blue balling myself and everybody watching my stream LOL

That's one for the ages huh :p
Do we have an ETA on Chapter 4C?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm having trouble getting 4B.

I got the detector thing.

I got the glass.

I got the pamphlets.

I even talked to Croc Monsieur.

What am I missing?

I'm having trouble getting 4B.

I got the detector thing.

I got the glass.

I got the pamphlets.

I even talked to Croc Monsieur.

What am I missing?

At some point you need to go to the library and ask the librarian about the catacombs. He will tell you that the Church closed the entrances to it, which will give you a new dialogue at Notre Dame.

Saprol

At some point you need to go to the library and ask the librarian about the catacombs. He will tell you that the Church closed the entrances to it, which will give you a new dialogue at Notre Dame.

oh damn. i ran out of days before i could do that last one

Sölf

So, Chapter 3.

"Hell yeah, chapter 4 incom-" - "Please come back in 2 days when 4C has been released." - "AAAAHHHHH!!!"

So, back to the drawing board I guess... xD

petghost

Banned
the concept of having a limited number of days and therefore getting different outcomes based on what you figured out is a really cool way to move the AA genre forward a bit.

tomtom94

So I got ending 4B.

As an Ace Attorney veteran I have to say the length (or rather the lack thereof) of the cases was a disappointment. Learning that it's a MUCH smaller budget does help explain that, admittedly. It was also clearly rushed, judging from the proofreading (a patch for which I hope is forthcoming - I was particularly disappointed that the word showing which ending I received had a typo in)

I never really felt like I had to do more than press a couple of statements or present one crucial piece of evidence, which means the logic is never especially complex. This is definitely a game which prioritises style over substance. Fortunately, the style is great. The artwork is gorgeous and the music is well chosen (special points to the use of Faure's Requiem for the trial in Act 3), and the dialogue is punchy and hilarious (with a clear Ace Attorney influence).

The fact that you can miss evidence due to the time limit is obviously the game's main point and I like the urgency it imbues it with (as well as the time skip allowing you to go back easily and efficiently if you do mess it up, which you are pretty much guaranteed to do at least once). That's what they could build on if they ever made a sequel, I think, along with just a bit more of everything. Also, making it so you can't search irrelevant things streamlines the investigation process (even if you're going to want to search everything for the flavour text)

All in all I'd say it's a solid 7/10 and I'll be trying to convince people to pick it up just for the premise, but it could have been more. I will hunt down 4A and 4C when I get the chance.

Oh, and one final question (Act 4 spoilers):
Does anything change if you do the King's trial flawlessly? I messed up on the second charge and presented the coin instead of the fisherman's statement, but Severin seemed to imply that there was nothing I could have done.

So I got ending 4B.

As an Ace Attorney veteran I have to say the length (or rather the lack thereof) of the cases was a disappointment. Learning that it's a MUCH smaller budget does help explain that, admittedly. It was also clearly rushed, judging from the proofreading (a patch for which I hope is forthcoming - I was particularly disappointed that the word showing which ending I received had a typo in)

I never really felt like I had to do more than press a couple of statements or present one crucial piece of evidence, which means the logic is never especially complex. This is definitely a game which prioritises style over substance. Fortunately, the style is great. The artwork is gorgeous and the music is well chosen (special points to the use of Faure's Requiem for the trial in Act 3), and the dialogue is punchy and hilarious (with a clear Ace Attorney influence).

The fact that you can miss evidence due to the time limit is obviously the game's main point and I like the urgency it imbues it with (as well as the time skip allowing you to go back easily and efficiently if you do mess it up, which you are pretty much guaranteed to do at least once). That's what they could build on if they ever made a sequel, I think, along with just a bit more of everything. Also, making it so you can't search irrelevant things streamlines the investigation process (even if you're going to want to search everything for the flavour text)

All in all I'd say it's a solid 7/10 and I'll be trying to convince people to pick it up just for the premise, but it could have been more. I will hunt down 4A and 4C when I get the chance.

Oh, and one final question (Act 4 spoilers):
Does anything change if you do the King's trial flawlessly? I messed up on the second charge and presented the coin instead of the fisherman's statement, but Severin seemed to imply that there was nothing I could have done.

Nope, just different text in the response (he says (paraphrasing, super minor spoilers for the joke))
"That's hardly evidence of supporting local businesses, and more importantly - THERE'S NO WAY HE CAUGHT A FISH OVER 2METERS LONG IN THE SEINE!" Falcon responds "Not even if he had great bait? Like maybe fancy chocolates?" (I traded a chocolate for his string in the previous chapter)
, the ending is the same.

I had the same problems with the game - after the great ending to the tutorial chapter, I felt like the rest of the game had a lot of promise. I loved the style and characters and the jokes, but the trials always felt very simplistic, and the entire thing was over very quickly (Steam says I beat it in 4 hours). I was worried about not finding enough evidence to successfully defend, but that was never a problem aside from a little save scumming when I found out on a Saturday in the game that I could only meet with someone on Friday.

Also, the money never really becomes an important part of the game. I had done a bit of work to save all of my francs, so I was kinda disappointed that I had ended up with over 100 francs for no reason.

I really liked the game, I just wish that there was more of it. It has a solid foundation, but at the end of the (incredibly short) 4th chapter, I was just left going "Wait, that's it?" I'll try chapter 4A later and see if it's any different, but I was disappointed that there was really only 3 trials in the game, and chapter 4 was more of an epilogue than a real chapter.

Corpekata

Banned
Just got a really annoying bug in chapter 3.

During the catacomb trial, after the bullet scanner scan doesn't show any traces on Remus, you're supposed to suggest alternatives with the Face Book. However the game would not let me scroll past the first page. And since the first page has a bunch of people involved in the first case, I can't pick any suspects.

LiK

Well, this is disappointing. I ended up on an incomplete chapter during my playthrough. Didn't even know there were branching paths until this popped up. Kinda sucks I have to go back and try a different way to see one of the other endings now. I always liked seeing what I get on my own the first time. Oh well.

faridmon

How long was this in development? Hope they crank out as many games in this style as possible because I can never have enough of this type of games.

hitsugi

i5zkSkD.png

had to..

I cannot continue playing. I'm on the second day of the first case and when I resume the game I get the map to choose where to go and a textbox from "blank". Can't click anything besides the settings gear. :(

I cannot continue playing. I'm on the second day of the first case and when I resume the game I get the map to choose where to go and a textbox from "blank". Can't click anything besides the settings gear. :(

That sucks! May be a corrupt save or something, try "restart from day" from the main menu (I forget what they call it) and see if you can load from day 2. It should give a fresh day 2 with all the info from you day 1 save.

Is there truly a character named Croc Monsieur? That's genius.

There's also a horse named Neighthan.

That sucks! May be a corrupt save or something, try "restart from day" from the main menu (I forget what they call it) and see if you can load from day 2. It should give a fresh day 2 with all the info from you day 1 save.
tried this several times already. I guess I need to start all over :/

LiK

Finished the game with 4B Ending. I really loved the writing and characters. Super sharp and funny. It's a shame some parts feel really rushed. They could've spent much more time developing the mysteries of the story rather than moving us along on its own pace. I'm also a bit disappointed how the game forces you to play a certain way because there's an actual time limit on how many days you can investigate before the game forces you down the story path. That's no fun and completely pointless. It makes you skip a lot of optional dialogue.

anyway, maybe they'll improve upon this with an update or sequel. i was surprised that 4C path is not even done. not sure how this is considered a complete game if not all paths were included.

pretty good effort. the way they used the art and music was well done.

FluxWaveZ

Just finished Act 1, and the ending already blew my mind, given one who's familiar with Ace Attorney and expected the case to resolve the same as any in that series. I REALLY didn't expect that, and that's amazing.

Some neat ideas here I'd like to see the Ace Attorney series use. Notably, the fact that this game actually uses a jury system that AA4 was teasing towards. Though, I can imagine it'd be a bit weird if you got to the end of a case in an AA game only to find out you lose because you didn't gain enough influence.

Not entirely a fan of the artstyle, but it's grown on me. It has the levity of an Ace Attorney game, which is nice. I wished there was an "Objection" theme playing at a certain point during the first trial, but there was just silence, which was a bit of a bummer.

Really looking forward to playing more of this. I was uncertain going in, but this has confirmed it: we need more Ace Attorney games out there other than AA and Danganronpa. It's a fantastic formula, and it's crazy how this is, like, the only other standout example there is since the AA series started 15 years ago.

FluxWaveZ

Oh... ew, so this game is indeed totally unfinished. I just encountered a big "this part isn't finished!" screen, and that's really not cool. I was enjoying it until that point, but that really removes the game's momentum in an unfortunate way.

Ah well, I'll try another path eventually. The relatively open-ended format of Aviary Attorney compared to Ace Attorney is a fresh take on the formula.

Bumped because they updated the game with bug fixes and Ending 4-C.
I feel conflicted because while the bad guys do not get away, their plan was still effective because Beck is an idiot.

FluxWaveZ

Bumped because they updated the game with bug fixes and Ending 4-C.

Ah, guess it's time for me to jump back in. Thanks.

So how does this game compare to an Ace Attorney game? Nearly as good?

There is very little that touches Ace Attorney. But this game's writing does a surprisingly good job at emulating the levity in the dialog AA games have. If you like Ace Attorney, it's probably worth checking out.

So how does this game compare to an Ace Attorney game? Nearly as good?

If you liked Ace Attorney, there is almost no reason you wouldn't like this. Very good, I prefer the aesthetic of this vs. Ace Attorney, even.
I just wish it was finished on release, and that there was more! There's a bonus chapter coming, though.

Gvitor

Just started this and finished case 1.

I was NOT expecting the twist, Jesus. The way she nonchalantly said it all, even though her father was charged with murder was so great.

A bit short, but great all the way through. Loved the references to AA and TPP, and "you might want to work on being less of a... how to put it... "fils de pute"." slayed me.

MrBadger

Just started this and I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed with case 1. The writing is great, the art style is really unique and
the way the case ended had me really shocked. I thought it'd just be a by-the-numbers AA1 first case but instead it was a By-the-numbers-until-that-part AA4 first case.
I'm excited to see more. My only real criticism so far has been the music. It's great, but it feels really empty to point out a big contradiction and just have the music go away entirely. I always expect some triumphant Ace Attorney objection theme to kick in.

Also it was nice of the game to not punish me for pursuing the red herring

FluxWaveZ

Finally made time to play ending 4C. It was unfortunate it wasn't prepared when the game first came out, but that was an alright conclusion.

I liked how, overall, this game is a bit more grounded and somber in tone than the Ace Attorney series usually is. It's a nice difference, while still managing to preserve the campy dialogue.

A very good effort for a game emulating Ace Attorney, with fundamental differences that set it apart in a good way.

Nohar

So, I finally found the time to buy and play it. Only played Act 1 so far. I really like Sparrowson and the little nods to the Ace Attorney series (and the fact that half the stuff we do in AA is completly illegal - like "borrowing" evidence from private houses). I absolutly love how they animate the drawings. The game kinda lacks music sometimes though.

I'm also proud to say I won the first case easily (well, it was a first case after all):
... Well, kinda. My client was found not guilty and the lion was taken by the police, but the reveal at the end caught me by surprise. I guess AA spoiled me: I'm way too used to innocent clients. Damn, and she is so unrepentant. No wonder my aviary attorney doesn't show up at work the next day.

Shizuka

Wow, I've managed to play the game flawlessly on my tablet today while I was working, I'm really glad. Finished the first act, it was more fun than Ace Attorney. I can't wait to get some time off and finish the other acts.

Top Bottom