• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aviary Attorney |OT| Caw and Order

After beating the game I'm rather impressed with the writing. Case 2 and 3 had me at the edge of my seat, for one. Case 4 was... (opinion spoilers) basically a cutscene without any actual sleuthing or anything of the like involved.
Sort of like an extended epilogue, since Case 3 had a "finale" kind of feel to it.

Honestly overall I was impressed but rather disappointed since the whole thing start to finish took a bit over 4 hours, which is about average for a single PW case for me. Granted it's a cheap game, but one can argue you're not getting your money's worth. The impressive part is how good the game looks and how the writing is genuinely suspenseful yet comedic. Would love to see a longer work by the developers.

petghost

Banned
i was looking at the cases list and ep 4 is separated into three small sections with one that says "coming soon". are they gonna release dlc or are they continuing to work on this game as its out or something? anybody know about their future plans?

i was looking at the cases list and ep 4 is separated into three small sections with one that says "coming soon". are they gonna release dlc or are they continuing to work on this game as its out or something? anybody know about their future plans?

one of the endings isn't finished. they made a post about it on the steam forums on release day. They're planning an update to be released in the next few days to address the problem.

sketchy logic said:
A warning about the endings...
You may notice that one of the current endings just brings up a "coming soon" screen. We intend on posting an update to rectify this within the next few days.

The good news is that the other two endings work just fine, so feel free to play through those in the meantime!

Man, just beat Act 1.
Never has a game made me feel so terrible for winning. I guessed her father because "his claws" and I was close!

FluxWaveZ

Alright, Positive impressions and Ace Attorney structure means I'm getting in on this. If only to support more games like it.

After beating the game I'm rather impressed with the writing. Case 2 and 3 had me at the edge of my seat, for one. Case 4 was... (opinion spoilers) basically a cutscene without any actual sleuthing or anything of the like involved.
Sort of like an extended epilogue, since Case 3 had a "finale" kind of feel to it.

Honestly overall I was impressed but rather disappointed since the whole thing start to finish took a bit over 4 hours, which is about average for a single PW case for me. Granted it's a cheap game, but one can argue you're not getting your money's worth. The impressive part is how good the game looks and how the writing is genuinely suspenseful yet comedic. Would love to see a longer work by the developers.

4 hours? damn you went through it fast. glad to hear it's a good gm.

I think the game's biggest weakness is just how short it is.

The writing is absolutely superb with twists everywhere, I love the anachronisms and references to especially Ace Attorney games.

Just finished the first case and already think that this game is worth every penny. Good humor, good (terrible) puns as expected and the
ladder/stepladder joke reference to Ace Attorney
was just great. Also
the twist at the end of case 1
gave me high hopes for what may come in the next cases. I'll probably take my time with it to taste it properly and will definitely try other routes after finishing.

Desi

Backed this: can't wait to give it a try sometime tomorrow. My girlfriend is looking forward to it as well!

Dinjoralo

I'll give this a try after Christmas. It's about time we got the Wondermark game we deserve!
Whaddaya mean it's not a Wondermark game?!

I think the game's biggest weakness is just how short it is.

The writing is absolutely superb with twists everywhere, I love the anachronisms and references to especially Ace Attorney games.

Yeah, was surprised I beat half of it in 2 hours. The different endings should add replay.

Tizoc

Guess I'll stop After Ch. 3 ndwait for the game to updated, but otherwise it's a GotY contender for me and I've played well enough to enjoy it.
I get what people mean by it being short though, still it offers replayability and hey at least it's less investigating than the AA games :p

How long does it take to finish the game 100%? I want to know if I can fit it between two big games.

I didn't play all the endings, but with the "best" and longest ending route my playtime was around 4 hours. If you know the unlock criteria for all the endings, going only by the chapter select size, I would expect 5 hours, maybe 6 at most for completionist since the routes change only how the final chapter plays, and the final chapter is a very short chapter.

This game looks amazing, and its artstyle is extraordinary. Or very ordinary. Either way I bought it and hope I don't have to refund it! Last purchase of the winter sale for me.

Sölf

I am in the middle of Act 2, probably the halfway point. So far, I really like this game. The writing is really good and even though most characters are by far not as over the top as many Ace Attorney characters, they are still unique and funny enough. The story also slowly unfolds and I like where this is going.

MrBadger

On a scale of Turnabout Serenade to Turnabout Goodbyes, how does the writing in this game compare to Ace Attorney? I'm interested in it and the art style looks like something that will grow on me.

Just beat Case 3 and heading toward Case 4B. I won all cases in case you are wondering.
Was actually much easier than Case 2. I assume if I did not go on that fetch quest Cocotrise would have died.

I tried everything except reinstalling already, might refund and check this game out later.
Oh, that is a shame. The game was definitely rushed missing an ending and such.

Tizoc

Well damn
tumblr_mdp9474kWD1qac76ro1_1280.jpg

http://hostilities.tumblr.com/post/36184620276/lion-from-paris
Is the use of this particular artwork allowed for any form of medium being sold?

Shizuka

aren't you working on the review for Trails of Cold Steel =) jk, looking forward to your review :)

Yup, halfway through the game. That one is massive, glad to know you're looking forward to it!

I didn't play all the endings, but with the "best" and longest ending route my playtime was around 4 hours. If you know the unlock criteria for all the endings, going only by the chapter select size, I would expect 5 hours, maybe 6 at most for completionist since the routes change only how the final chapter plays, and the final chapter is a very short chapter.

That's a nice length, I'll definitely give it a go as soon as I finish Cold Steel.

Impressions through the end of act 2:

I daresay that the investigation sequences are a fundamental improvement with the non linearity and the potential to miss evidence. It makes me much more seriously consider my lines of questioning and makes the resulting trial that much more engaging. I also like that they've simplified some of the more broad aspects of the investigation sequences, not having to trawl through heaps of profiles and objects just to get the next dialog trigger. It feels more fluid, more real.

And the editor stretch goal shows. Easily in the same conversation as PA's wit and twists when it comes to dialogue and characters. Have bust out laughing on more than one occasion, and yet it still has the tonal flexibility to reach those same depths of both drama and tension. It undoubtedly owes a great deal to PA, but it's a fantastic entry in the genre and more than able to stand on its own . My only complaint is that I'm already through half of the game in a single morning, but considering the quality on display for just shy of $20k budget I can overlook it for the price.

Randdalf

I enjoyed the first Act, interesting twist on the usual "first case tutorial", although I noticed a few spelling mistakes here and there.

I just finished and I have to say I really enjoyed the game. I hope there will be more entries into the series in the future. I absolutely adored the art style and the music. Also Sparrowson has definitely gone onto my list of favorite characters.

Someone thinks Desfunny.

I want this but having animals as characters kinda turns me away from this :x

I think the animal characters really worked for the game. It's more in the vein of Animal Farm than say Disney.

Making a guide for the game. Will edit post once more is known...

Case 4A
Unlock Condition:
Stay silent.

Case 4B
Unlock Condition:
Speak up, find Silivius and use bullet detector to prove him guilty.

Case 4C
Unlock Condition:
Speak up and lose the case.

Neol

Was about to ask about those conditions myself so I thank you very much.

Thought it was more complicated then that so I'm glad it was just the choices in that area.

Top Bottom