• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Awesome" Fan Art |OT2| James can see everything

Weiss

Banned
I know Kirrahe is one of those really popular minor characters but jesus christ

captain_kirrahe_sexy_times_by_thesaladbutter-d4ue0eh.png

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
You know that infamous fan-art of the dude drawing a picture for Princess Peach with the "it's a map of your eyes!" line?

Anyone have a real-life pic of that guy, because I saw someone the other day carrying around a Princess Peach doll and wearing an awkward Pikachu shirt, and I'm convinced it was him.\

So this is now a general thread for human degeneracy brought about by the internet, including, but not limited to, "awesome" fan art, right? Because if it is,

We should really let the pics that make you laugh thread know.

At any rate, that guy's got some "awesome" fan art there on his wall.

CorvoSol

So this is now a general thread for human degeneracy brought about by the internet, including, but not limited to, "awesome" fan art, right? Because if it is,

I have discussed several times with Ronito doing an "Awesome Cosplay" thread in which we all laugh at tragically overweight Yunas or something, but I've never done it because I feel like it crosses a line from laughing at their terrible drawings to laughing at them, and I don't know that I have it in me to make a thread dedicated to laughing at people doing something (relatively harmless) that they love.

Retro

I have discussed several times with Ronito doing an "Awesome Cosplay" thread in which we all laugh at tragically overweight Yunas or something, but I've never done it because I feel like it crosses a line from laughing at their terrible drawings to laughing at them, and I don't know that I have it in me to make a thread dedicated to laughing at people doing something (relatively harmless) that they love.

Um, yeah, that'll get you banned pretty quickly... It crosses a line, honestly. It's one thing to make fun of the weird, depraved shit people come up with, and another to post pictures of people and laugh at their physical appearance.

The "Awesome" fan art thread flirts with "mean-spirited" often, but because there's rarely a face or even a name behind the madness, and we often mock the subject matter (which is bizarre) rather than the artistic skill, I don't think it's particularly nasty.

/shrug.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Oh look, it's Richard Kuta. There's a lot of pictures (and even video) of him in diapers. He's even got an Encyclopedia Dramatica article showing that and so much more (mostly related to Sonic the Hedgehog).

He's also infamous for his video reaction to the Sonic 4 teaser trailer where there was a second of footage and following it with a long rant about Sega ruining the franchise... in tears. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DMtSDDF2Do Thankfully, no diapers.

CorvoSol

Um, yeah, that'll get you banned pretty quickly... It crosses a line, honestly. It's one thing to make fun of the weird, depraved shit people come up with, and another to post pictures of people and laugh at their physical appearance.

The "Awesome" fan art thread flirts with "mean-spirited" often, but because there's rarely a face or even a name behind the madness, and we often mock the subject matter (which is bizarre) rather than the artistic skill, I don't think it's particularly nasty.

/shrug.

Well there you have it, then. No mocking the nightmare pony costumes.

Retro

Well there you have it, then. No mocking the nightmare pony costumes.

Well, no, I think if they're as bizarre as that full-on outfit that looks like something from Silent Hill, that's fine.

I also think guys I just think a full cosplay mockery thread is going to draw a lot of heat, even the Cosplay thread we have now (which has been suspiciously quiet, I wonder if it was locked) has gone off the rails a few times with people ripping on less-than-perfect cosplay. I think it's probably part of GAF having a very militant anti-misogyny bent and cosplay tends to bring out a lot of "Look at the fat/ugly/whatever woman trying to get nerd attention" and it's just... a mess...

Grown men dressed as ponies / wearing diapers / animal tails / etc. is okay, I guess. They should know better. Maybe ask a mod.

I feel like the truly "awesome" fan art like all the sonic pony diaper inflation stuff, and other things posted in this thread like comments on Deviantart, Pamperchu and that guy above are essentially one in the same, or at least come from the same source. They're phenomena that we never imagined could exist, behaviors we never thought people could have, trends we never could have predicted, and we are fascinated by them. I never got the feeling, in this thread, at least, that we were mocking them or belittling them, but instead standing with our mouths wide open upon seeing at what the internet has produced, in shock and curiosity.

An "Awesome" Cosplay thread, though, I feel like that'd be different thing. If we're just posting dumpy people in bad costumes to laugh at, there's no longer any shock and curiosity, just some losers with poor social skills to laugh at, and we see those all the time.

That guy above, with the diapers and ponies, isn't cosplay, but is a real, tangible part of trends we've seen throughout the thread. We've seen drawings with similar themes, but to see a real person act it out adds to the shock and curiosity we've already been experiencing throughout the thread, and that's what keeps us coming back here.

CorvoSol

To be fair, I originally conceived of the idea as a thread for actually awesome cosplay, then I realized it would go off the rails toward "awesome" and thought maybe I should embrace it. Then I realized that even THAT would go off the rails, and it was just too meanspirited a thing to endorse.

Retro

To be fair, I originally conceived of the idea as a thread for actually awesome cosplay, then I realized it would go off the rails toward "awesome" and thought maybe I should embrace it. Then I realized that even THAT would go off the rails, and it was just too meanspirited a thing to endorse.

We have a Cosplay Thread already though. Granted, most of the older pages are non-loading images and it is nothing but images followed by half a page of people oggling/describing various attributes of the cosplayer, but still...

demidar

Posting bad cosplay and laughing at it is definitely crossing a line, and it's really mean spirited as well. They're just dressing up as something they love, why you gotta put them down for that?

Top Bottom