• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome logos no longer in use. Or: wtf Gamestop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at some mall in Tampa and just came across this.

lHf7kzy.jpg

Is it an old logo? Is it a new logo? I got no fuggin' idea. But it looks miles ahead of what they have now.

What are some other examples?

Is it an old logo? Is it a new logo? I got no fuggin' idea. But it looks miles ahead of what they have now.

Might be new, considering all the recent ads they got on display (GTA V for example).

Regardless, looks pretty nice. Much better than the current logo.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Really old logo. I remember that one from the GameStop in the mall near me opened up, which was the area, about 10 years ago.

Their current logo could probably use an update, but as clean as the one in this pic is, it's also pretty bland.

Current logo is more memorable.

That's a crap logo. The little arc thingie and the font treatment scream 1997 to me.

eshwaaz

There's a strip mall near me that has a GameStop, a SmashBurger and a Sport Clips, and they all have white/red logos. Maybe GameStop is changing theirs to try and differentiate themselves.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://i.imgur.com/6z5a4EM.jpg

Wow you had a Software ETC. in 2006? I thought they all died since the one here was closed in like 1999-2000. EB was a few stores down and that replaced it.

I remember getting strategy guides for $.01 there.

meijiko

jd5smaL.jpg

This thread is a sad reminder of all the stores that aren't around anymore because of Gamestop.

This store is actually still called Funcoland on the outside, but inside it's all fucking Gamestop.

Magnus

The store used to have a brand called "EBX" too. I bought my Warcraft I+II Battle Chest there like 10 years ago! haha

Google image search gives me this, lol:

image6.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Wow you had a Software ETC. in 2006? I thought they all died since the one here was closed in like 1999-2000. EB was a few stores down and that replaced it.

I remember getting strategy guides for $.01 there.

If the store didn't get shut down, many kept their logo for quite a while. Most of them have switched over to the Gamestop logo though.

The original Software ETC logo was boss:

B._Dalton_Software_Etc._logo.png

EBX, Babbages, electronics boutique, FUNCOLAND

nostalgia up in this thread, haven't heard those names in years.

i think i never bought anything in my funcoland cause the manager/boss was a asshole to me when i came in to play the games :/ then why have a game demo station.

EbakLFW.jpg

RIP

Actually that's a pretty recent photo, what with the Dead Rising 2 sign. I remember Babbage's being THE shit when it came to PC games. Eventually their PC selection dwindled to one display case, and now the store is just a shitty Gamestop. Which all have the same vomit-inducing red/grey decor inside.

MIMIC

Banned

HOLY FUCK! I was just at this mall 2 days ago (went to see "World War Z")

I saw that GameStop logo as well and thought it looked really....strange

Was Babbages it's own thing? I had one in my mall for a long time but it seems like they always used Gamestop bags. Maybe I'm just not remembering whatever came before it they weren't just an offbrand of them. Those were the days. Had a Babbages and an Electronics Boutique (Before EBGames) at each end of the mall.

Gamestop is such a silly name.

It's like...stop gaming.

Or stop in for some games?

Was Babbages it's own thing? I had one in my mall for a long time but it seems like they always used Gamestop bags. Maybe I'm just not remembering whatever came before it they weren't just an offbrand of them. Those were the days. Had a Babbages and an Electronics Boutique (Before EBGames) at each end of the mall.

Yeah, Gamestop bought up Babbage's, Funcoland, and EB. I think EB bought up Software Etc. before Gamestop ate them. So now we have one big, bland chain (unless you're lucky enough to have a mom & pop or a regional chain around).

I used to stare at Funcoland mail-order ads with price lists in old video game magazines. Their prices were ridiculous, and they would list titles that didn't exist/weren't announced yet ("Sonic 4", before S3&K was announced), but those ads were so fun to read for a 13-year-old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom