• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Teknoman

Outrunners: Saw the arcade version on youtube and it looks great! There isnt a home port version aside from the watered down Genesis version? I guess theres always Power Drift.

EDIT: Was that a Neo Geo Pocket version of Persona 4 Boss fight?

Outrunners: Saw the arcade version on youtube and it looks great! There isnt a home port version aside from the watered down Genesis version? I guess theres always Power Drift.

EDIT: Was that a Neo Geo Pocket version of Persona 4 Boss fight?

It was on the Persona 4 Golden soundtrack cd I bought.

Best way to get super excited about retro games is to talk to awesome people about them.

Great to meet Mohammed from Brave Wave and Jason from Youtube Games. And always great to get John talking about retro stuff, wish they did that more on 84 Play.

Posting a new @BackinmyPlay soon with @MikeJMika, hope we can get a few more Patreons to support the show before! patreon.com/backinmyplay

Yeah the latest was a great episode.

I've been buying PlayStation 1 and saturn games lately and it feels like were on the verge of finally hitting that mid 90s 32 bit nostalgia wave.

Some games that have been dirt cheap for years are starting to creep up in price.

I love the system and have been buying for ps1 for years, especially longboxes. How do you feel about the ps1 library? Is the early 3d too hard to go back to?

Some of my all time favorites are jumping flash, suikoden, mega man legends, wipeout, time crisis, and ridge racer type 4.

Teknoman

What the. lol I just bought your copy of Power Drift, and had no idea it was you (was just browsing ebay on my phone for games i'd been keeping an eye out for). Didnt know it was you until I got an email from paypal with your name :p

I'd buy that space harrier but i already spent too much this week on PS1 games.

Got alundra for $30 complete though. It seems to be going up in price. One game i missed back at the time and always heard good things about.

What the. lol I just bought your copy of Power Drift, and had no idea it was you (was just browsing ebay on my phone for games i'd been keeping an eye out for). Didnt know it was you until I got an email from paypal with your name :p

Haha, cool to see it is going to a good home, game just didn't click with me.

Teknoman

Its pretty hard to top outrun, but I've always been curious about it since it's one of the other super scaler(?) games I haven't played. Still wish out runners got a better home port.

picked these up thanks to the latest episode. never played both. I sold my N64 early when FF7 came out. Had to sell the N64 if I wanted a playstation, that was the deal from my parents. I only played games like Ocarina and Banjo from borrowing a system from my cousin or way later in the early 2000s when I bought one finally.

UOLh3FUl.jpg

Also hope I did some good picks for J-saturn games. Cheesemeister here on GAF is a good connection to get stuff sent to you from japan at a good price.

3M7QhKfl.jpg

DTU

Banned
Begging for money to buy a product for your show? $25 for a "shout out"? C'mon, man. Why don't you emulate it like every other game you talk about?

Begging for money to buy a product for your show? $25 for a "shout out"? C'mon, man. Why don't you emulate it like every other game you talk about?

The only game that have been done on the show that can be considered under emulation is Symphony of the Night as I played it on the Vita. Everything else was original hardware and cart.

But I hear you about "begging" for money. I have wanted to do the game for a while and some people have asked how to support the show outside of Patreon. For some people a one time PayPal donation makes a lot more sense for them. Just want to give people options and provide some extra benefit for their support.

DTU

Banned
To be fair, I also consider Patreon to be "begging". There are hundreds of thousands of people that record, produce, and distribute podcasts without taking a dime from their audiences.

To be fair, I also consider Patreon to be "begging". There are hundreds of thousands of people that record, produce, and distribute podcasts without taking a dime from their audiences.

Sure, but the super cool thing is that Patreon is a way for people that enjoy the show a lot and value the production of it to support the show.

And at the end of the day, it is still 100% free for anyone. You can download those MP3s and never pay a cent. I don't hold the episodes hostage, they are free and ready for download.

Totally respect your thoughts on it and hope you enjoy the latest episode.

Edit: Also I returned the Apple Watch, just got it to test out the fitness tracking features for my other show and for work.

stewy

Because we all know that time and hosting is absolutely free. How dare those people who provide this free entertainment, hosting paid for out of their own pocket, even consider accepting help from those who listen to their shows?

Worse than Hitler.

SuperPac

Podcasts are not free to produce - there's time, hosting, equipment, and other expenses. If you like the content being put out you should find some way to support the show - via donation, telling others about it, participating by sending in a question, writing a positive iTunes review, buying merch if they produce any, or supporting the advertisers if they've got them.

Many podcasters that have a large audience are able to sell ads or become part of an ad network like Midroll to help fund the expense of their shows. But - to get advertising you need a pretty large audience (20k+ weekly, really). When a media company (IGN, GameSpot, Polygon) does a podcast that doesn't have ads it's more about audience engagement for a site/product that does.

No one's forcing you to support a podcast (monetarily or otherwise). But if the alternative is no more episodes, isn't it worth it?

dperrin

Podcasts are not free to produce - there's time, hosting, equipment, and other expenses. If you like the content being put out you should find some way to support the show - via donation, telling others about it, participating by sending in a question, writing a positive iTunes review, buying merch if they produce any, or supporting the advertisers if they've got them.

Many podcasters that have a large audience are able to sell ads or become part of an ad network like Midroll to help fund the expense of their shows. But - to get advertising you need a pretty large audience (20k+ weekly, really). When a media company (IGN, GameSpot, Polygon) does a podcast that doesn't have ads it's more about audience engagement for a site/product that does.

No one's forcing you to support a podcast (monetarily or otherwise). But if the alternative is no more episodes, isn't it worth it?

Well said CJ. Couldnt have said it better.

IGN has started putting ads in their podcasts ._.

I completely disagree that Patreon is begging. Yes, there are lots of people who can take time out of their lives to prepare for, record, produce, host and promote their own podcasts, but I feel like Patreon is a friendly way for users to *optionally* give back to a creator for their work.

When we expect our creativity and culture to be generated for free, there will be fewer and fewer people making creative work.

Patreon means that content is given out to everyone for free (unless you count a ten second 'hey we have a Patreon if you want to help out' mention as a cost), but it also means that people have the option to contribute. Quit complaining :3

I disagree that Patreon is begging. I can see how some may see it that way, as a few Podcast and You Tubers spend a lot of time mention their Patreon page. Same with how You Tubers say please like, favorite, subscribe and cover the video with annotations. It just needs to be mentioned, not shoved in our face. For the record I'm not calling Kev out just making a general observation.

Thanks for all of the support everyone!

If asking for Patreon support or asking for help to fund a Gimmick! episode puts you off, you can always skip the show.

Right now I get about $120 for each episode I produce through the Patreon funding after they take fees and all of the declined payments. $120 for about 4 hours of work not including if I need to fit game time in an already super busy schedule with my real job. Especially now that I travel and am gone every other weekend for work.

Back in my Play is a hobby and with the little free time I have these days it comes at a higher personal cost.

Again, the podcast is free to download. You get all of that work I put into it for free if you want it. At most I mention the Patreon support twice on the twitter account each week and 1-2 times on the show. If that is begging in your mind, then maybe the show isn't worth downloading and listening too. Plenty of other retro game shows out there.

I don't do the show for downloads, I am not in the press, I don't do it for money. But it means a lot when 64 out of the 4,000 people that download the show (1.6% of the audience) thinks it's worth supporting.

I am not ashamed to ask for support. I work hard to make a great show each episode, I think the fans can back me up on the production quality.

dperrin

Thanks Kevin for all you do to make this podcast. Your hard work doesnt go unnoticed and you deserve any support monetarily or through fan support!

$55 away from the funding goal ($200) for the Gimmick! episode!

And now I will actually be producing two episodes based off of the game.

One will be with Mohammad from Brave Wave about the game's music and composer Masashi Kageyama.

The Second will be with Peter Brown of Gamespot and Kurt Kalata of HG101.

If you want to support the show this would be a great way to do it!
http://backinmyplay.com/lets-fund-a-gimmick-episode/

Teknoman

Damn missed the stream. But...finally got around to ordering a Gimmick and Hebreke repro. Been meaning to do so since last year.

JEKKI

awwwwwwww yeay~!!!!

I'm listening to BIMP and I'm always inspired by when Coach Kevin talks about going to Japan and making pickups!!

so inspired, I had to go to Japan myself and do a pickups of my own:

3MbRO5e.jpg

#gogocurry

aye real talk tho, Coach Kevin, Coach Kevin!!

GoGo Curry is maaad good, but I hate to say this, aint that much more better or worse than other curries in Japan, let alone the stuff you can get here in the USA.

what you gotta do is head over to Sapporo and try their specialty, mother frikken soup curry!!

z9iWWIe.jpg

Ecuf2nK.jpg

next time I'm in the mood for curry, I can easily go to Coco Ichi, Curry House, or any other japanese restaurant that serves the stuff (we aint got GoGo here in the west coast ;_;)

but woe is me if I ever find myself fiendin for the soup curry... I'm SOL til I get another opportunity to visit Sapporo :(

Just wanted to chime in with everyone else and say thanks again for your work Kevin. Definitely gonna get around to hitting up your Patreon in the near future.... will be a first for me actually :)

Top Bottom