• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Defunkled

Hey Kevin, any chance that Klonoa will be the focus of your next episode? I've adored the game ever since I was a kid and I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Keep up the awesome work! So glad that the podcast is back.

Hey Kevin, any chance that Klonoa will be the focus of your next episode? I've adored the game ever since I was a kid and I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Keep up the awesome work! So glad that the podcast is back.

The next episode is Gimmick! We record tomorrow.

Also I am teaming up with CJ and Greg to do E3 podcasts on Monday and Tuesday night to recap the conferences and give our opinions.

Teknoman

Guess they are working on Megaman Legacy collection. Get the inside scoop lol :p

EDIT: Buy Splatoon. Its got a pretty good story mode that builds in difficulty too.

SuperPac

Shenmue music to open the show!

I started playing it as my daughter and I were headed out the door this morning and she says, "What is that, daddy?" and I said "Shenmue music." And then she said, "I like Shenmue music. It's my favorite." ha.

A new episode will be coming this week.

Chris Johnston and Peter Brown will be joining me to remember the joyful game Kirby's Adventure.

FUZCk4v.jpg

Here is a clarification on the tweet:

http://backinmyplay.com/update-on-future-production/ (includes images)

Right now I have no plans to produce more episodes of the show. Part of it is because I don’t think the show has caught on like I thought it would, but more so I do not have the drive/time to to produce the show at a quality level I think it deserves. From NeoGAF to twitter, even the recent kirby episode didn’t get much attention (still 4,000 downloads which is regular). One of those “Is anyone even listening to this show” thoughts came into my head. It isn’t the Patreon support, but with The FitCast I am driven to put out quality shows each week because the show literally pays my rent now. I have to admit that.

With the little game time I do have these days, I have been trying to play through some of the games I have purchased the last few years and put off like Dragon Quest VI and currently Etrian Odyssey Untold. And it has been a lot of fun to talk about current game stuff with the guys at Player One Podcast. Nice to have some place to campaign for the smaller New 3DS coming to the United States. How the hell is it not offered on Nintendo.com at least? It makes not sen… Not the time or place for that discussion…

I do still want to do shows on Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, Thunder Force III, Shinobi, a few Saturn games, and some N64 stuff, but again, the drive isn’t there.

A part of me feels like that 60+ episodes I have produced has said what I wanted to say with the show. I got to meet some great people in and out of the industry, and promote my belief that these shows shouldn’t be a pessimistic negativity fest like some of the games media today.

With all that being said, episodes may pop up here and there. I am still dead set on doing two movie episodes for the show for fun with “Flight of the Navigator” and “Hackers” (which has it’s 20th anniversary next week!). Also last night I got an email from friend of the show Mike Mika to talk about some cool stuff going on with him including the Mega Man Legacy Collection.

I really want to say don’t expect regular episodes, but keep that podcast subscription active because you may get surprised with a new episode in your download queue.

Thank you so much for everyone that has supported the show, especially the ones supporting the show through Patreon and/or being vocal on Twitter/NeoGAF/Etc.

Here is a clarification on the tweet:

http://backinmyplay.com/update-on-future-production/ (includes images)

Fair enough

Sorry the number of listeners never got to where you would have liked, but I can tell you that you definitely produced one of my all time favorite podcasts for precisely the reasons you stated (lack of Negativity, earnestness, etc.) and I will for sure continue to keep the subscription up.

and thanks again Kev for the response :)

Jibbajaba

Neo Member
tl;dr - Only 4,000 people were listening to the show, and he was only getting about $150 per episode from Patreon so he decided to quit.

Haha, precisely. Spend some time on something more positive then two negative comments in a thread of a podcast that clearly you shouldn't listen to or support.

I love this gif :)

BvYPTJf.gif

It'd be wonderful if BIMP comes back some time, but even if it doesn't, it had a good run. Really enjoyed what you managed to put together with the series, Kevin!

ultimos

Neo Member
Sad to see this more or less go. Seconding that a show just once a month would still be awesome, plus it could give you time to talk about some RPGs. Thanks for all the great content either way Kevin!

Got some good news. I am doing two episodes this week, a little different.

One with Mike Mika talking about what they are doing with game preservation and one with Mohammed Taher of Brave Wave to talk about some vg music.

Look for that soon.

zmet

Some good news indeed! I hope Mohammed gives us a release date for that Street Fighter II soundtrack he's working on.

Top Bottom