• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back to the Future Debut Trailer released

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Another for fixing the lip syncing. Graphics and voice acting are really good. I was worried about the style from some of the art shown, but it looks fine. 1931? Citizen Kane reference? Awesome.

EDIT: I forgot I had got the first episode free thanks to GAF. Even better! :D

TheExecutive said:
Best part of the trailer.

I know people think that, I don't, that would be why I said "personally." It's just a bit much to me.

But there's no way that was the best part of the trailer anyway. Too many other cool things in it. :D

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Tbh I'm glad they went on a stylized route, something they're clearly comfortable and experienced with, rather than a crappy attempt at realism that would have only made the limitations of their engine more apparent.

the lip synching is bad, but that's not going to stop me from getting it day one. I just hope the writing is up to par with the movies.

Jocchan said:
Tbh I'm glad they went on a stylized route, something they're clearly comfortable and experienced with, rather than a crappy attempt at realism that would have only made the limitations of their engine more apparent.

But it makes me fear for the Jurassic game.

JodyAnthony said:
the lip synching is bad, but that's not going to stop me from getting it day one. I just hope the writing is up to par with the movies.

People from the original trilogy is involved, so that should mean good stuff.

Jocchan said:

This isn't an either/or, I'm perfectly happy with stylization, I just don't prefer some of the ways they toon'd them up a bit.

That being said, who knows if their attempt at realism would've been crappy? The game would have to be designed with it in mind, but if they had chosen that route, they probably could've pulled it off fine. I'm not arguing for it, but I don't know why you're assuming it'd be crappy.

Dipswitch

Looks neat. IIRC, I get the first episode free (I signed up for something or other a month or so ago) so that should give me a good sense whether the rest of the episodes will be worth the cash.

Zeal

Banned
i appreciate what they're trying to do with the stylized approach, but the look just isn't working.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Making the characters all cartoony and then giving them the world's most basic and wooden facial animation is, uh, sort of dumb. The style could be great, but you've got to go all in. You don't exaggerate the anatomy and then stop there, you exaggerate everything.

That early dev video that juxtaposed Christopher Lloyd delivering his lines in the recording booth next to his character in the game doing the same sums it up. The real-life guy looked a million times more animated than the cartoon version. Little backwards there.

rezuth

Why does that trailer say "TallTale"? Did they really spell their own name wrong?

Oh it morphes, my player must have lagged at that or something.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
rezuth said:
Why does that trailer say "TallTale"? Did they really spell their own name wrong?
That was their original name and logo. Then it fades into their current ones.

Back to the Future. Get it?

giggas

The BTTF in me loved it, but yeah the animation needs help. Then again, this is an episodic game most likely being made somewhat on the cheap and in a hurry, it's not an animated film. Which leads me to believe that I'd love to watch a film version of something like this with Dreamworks or Pixar behind it, but that'll never happen ever.

Anyway, looking forward to it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kulock said:
This isn't an either/or, I'm perfectly happy with stylization, I just don't prefer some of the ways they toon'd them up a bit.

That being said, who knows if their attempt at realism would've been crappy? The game would have to be designed with it in mind, but if they had chosen that route, they probably could've pulled it off fine. I'm not arguing for it, but I don't know why you're assuming it'd be crappy.

Do you live in a fantasy land, or do you actually truly believe Telltale could pull off photorealism? Because it sounds like you have no clue what you're talking about.

Infinity

Needs a little work, but even so, I'm really looking forward to the PC version.

The Huey soundtrack is icing on the cake. After all, my parents took me to see this in the theater when it was first released!

FoneBone

thetrin said:
Do you live in a fantasy land, or do you actually truly believe Telltale could pull off photorealism? Because it sounds like you have no clue what you're talking about.
Well, they've done a realistic style in their CSI games, but I don't think it's at all their strength.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Kulock said:
I can understand not digging the specific artstyle, but that's not what I was talking about.

Kulock said:
They would have been trying a style that's completely different from the ones they're used to (Telltale has awesome artists, but being good at stylized art doesn't mean you're automatically good at pulling off realistic artstyles and vice versa), with an engine that - while updated constantly from game to game - is definitely weaker than most of the engines currently powering more realistic games. So, yeah, it would have definitely been likely to be a crappy attempt noticeably below the standards currently accepted, and I'm glad they didn't choose that route.
You don't make games with magic and fairy dust. There is no "make game" button that turns concepts into reality.

FoneBone said:
Well, they've done a realistic style in their CSI games, but I don't think it's at all their strength.
A realistic BTTF game would probably have a higher budget and look better, but their CSI games prove my point.

FoneBone said:

CSI games has always been the C-Team in terms of production, which I think Jake confirmed on an Idle Thumbs a while ago.

Oh hey, look, someone on GAF is treating me like shit for being optimistic. Big surprise.

thetrin said:

I've hardly seen them seriously try, honestly. Most of their work has been with pre-established licenses that feature specific character stylization. It's certainly what they're comfortable with, and they chose a cartoony look for this intentionally to play to their strengths, but maybe they could pull it off a more realistic take if they set their talents to it. Who's to say it'd turn out crappy for sure? They've made CSI games with a more realistic look to them, I have no idea if they've turned out that well, but they're up to their fourth one according to Wiki, so it sounds like they're doing something right with them.

Plus, none of this changes the fact that I don't mind the characters being stylized here, I just don't like the particular way they're stylized. I'm not whining that they should've been realistic, I wasn't even the one to bring it up in the first place.

Also, way to be a fucking ass for no good reason. That certainly made me see the validity of your point, that you didn't justify in any way whatsoever.

Looks so great :D

The lip-syncing in previous Telltale stuff has been fine so I'm not worried. Plus since it's episodic, they're able to address concerns of the player for future episodes.

Can't wait to play it!

Tampinha

2w5q6ht.png

petethepanda said:
I'm still not sold. Imo, the only time Telltale has been truly great was the last two eps of Tales of Monkey Island.
i call shennigans. you didn't think 3 was great too?

i think they've been great since halfway through Monkey Island, and that that continued through sam and max season 3.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I really want to see what the iPad version will look like. Do they have any iPad games out now?? I hope its optimized for the iPad 2.

thefil

I decided this time, I wasn't going to pay $35 for a Telltale release. I would wait for the Steam sale, I said!

They decided to price this at $25. Well played.

Pagusas said:
I really want to see what the iPad version will look like. Do they have any iPad games out now?? I hope its optimized for the iPad 2.

Sam & Max and Wallace & Gromit is out on it right now.

FoneBone

Vinterbird said:
Sam & Max and Wallace & Gromit is out on it right now.
And not very well ported, from what I've seen. Heavy framerate issues and none of the higher-end graphical bells and whistles.

Ledsen

Will probably be pretty awesome, but it looks... bad. Usually it doesn't matter with Telltale games, but the more realistic look makes the wooden look very apparent :/

AniHawk

Marty sounds a tad too nerdy. The premise is kinda dumb, but I expect it leads to something better whenever we get to OUTATIME.

But it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

JoshuaJSlone said:
It seems pretty strange that the video still can't get anymore specific than December 2010.

I'm thinking they're saving the announcement for the VGA Awards to get a bigger exposure to the masses.

Celine

thefil said:
I decided this time, I wasn't going to pay $35 for a Telltale release. I would wait for the Steam sale, I said!

They decided to price this at $25. Well played.
You can actually buy it ( and Puzzle Agent ) for 17-18 $ ;-)
So awesome :D

Top Bottom