• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baffling The Dark Knight Rises moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
How long did Bruce make Selena sit at that dumb cafe? All day every day for days, weeks, months? Why didn't he tell Alfred, the man who was essentially his father, that he was alive instead of pulling this dumb, emotional stunt?

You could argue the cafe scene was never real and just part of Alfred's delusions.
Bruce died that night; Alfred went to murder his father and a bat streaked out of nowhere, Alfred fired. He shot the mother and father an instant later and ran.

Locked inside that house hes gone mad.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Someone told me they thought it would have been better if, in the scene at the end where Alfred sees Bruce sitting in the cafe, Alfred had just looked up and smiled before cutting to black, instead of actually showing Bruce and feline girl having a blast. I would have liked that better as well.

Sapiens

Why do they all come out from the sewers after months and look like they all just got out of the shower and put on fresh clean uniforms?

THIS. A THOUSAND TIMES, this. TDKR was just a giant pile of shit all around. Cast and crew going through the motions because they knew nothing would top Heath.

Windam

Scaley member
They didn't handle the depiction of passing time very well.

For sure. I thought the whole movie took place over a matter of a few weeks, or a month at max. It's confusing the crap out of me to think about right now; I'd probably have to watch it again. Ugh.

How long did Bruce make Selena sit at that dumb cafe? All day every day for days, weeks, months? Why didn't he tell Alfred, the man who was essentially his father, that he was alive instead of pulling this dumb, emotional stunt?

Bruce probably returned and stealthily found/contacted Selina after the explosion. He didn't suddenly lose all Batman gear and abilities after faking his death. He had time to do whatever.

Because Alfred specifically said that's what he wished would happen.

Minus_Me

Talia wanting to avenge the father she hated always ticked me off. If I'm wrong about this it would change my opinion about the movie slightly.

Raguel

I really think that Nolan and co had to change their plans for The Dark Knight rises because of Heath Ledger's death. And, judging from the movie, it looked like Nolan just wanted to give his films a conclusion. Because it was such a departure from what was set up from the previous films. It's as if Nolan didn't have the heart to finish it properly because man, The Dark Knight Rises was such a hot mess.

JB1981

Someone told me they thought it would have been better if, in the scene at the end where Alfred sees Bruce sitting in the cafe, Alfred had just looked up and smiled before cutting to black, instead of actually showing Bruce and feline girl having a blast. I would have liked that better as well.

Same here. Or I would have preferred that it had been like 8 years later and Bruce is there with a wife n kids. Selina being there killed the scene for me. She shouldn't be there

jaxword

For sure. I thought the whole movie took place over a matter of a few weeks, or a month at max. It's confusing the crap out of me to think about right now; I'd probably have to watch it again. Ugh.

The start of the movie takes place during a nice summer where people go to open-night gatherings at Bruce Wayne's manor and bright football matches.

The revolution takes place when it starts to snow.

The rivers freeze and the exiled walk across them.

The finale takes place as Batman is flying out to find thawing water.

Enough detail is there to suggest around six months at least.

Like Monsters Inc?

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep

Knowing that it all takes place over a long period of time kind of takes away from what little tension they had in the movie.

EDIT:
Like Monsters Inc?

Nolan needs to go back to Monsters University to learn a little something about film-making.

They didn't handle the depiction of passing time very well.

Also, good job to the people above ground getting those poor officers some shaving kits and dry cleaning machines. Would have been a disgrace to the police force if they looked as if they had spent a few months underground when they finally got out of there.

Bingo.

If they had put a simple "3 months later" that would have fixed the problem of the timing confusion.

Of course the movie is paced really poorly, as it jumps from a matter of months in like 10 minutes without informing the viewer.

Talia wanting to avenge the father she hated always ticked me off. If I'm wrong about this it would change my opinion about the movie slightly.

Talia was an absolutely worthless "twist" that added nothing to the movie except another fan service moment. "Holy shit, her name is Talia! Like in the comics!!!!!!"

jaxword

So did Bruce know if or when Alfred was going to show up? He just happened to be there? I think Bruce took Selena to Italy and made her sit with him and wait 24/7 just in case Alfred showed up.

Alfred: Remember when you left Gotham? Before all this, before Batman? You were gone seven years. Seven years I waited, hoping that you wouldn't come back. Every year, I took a holiday. I went to Florence, there's this cafe, on the banks of the Arno. Every fine evening, I'd sit there and order a Fernet Branca. I had this fantasy, that I would look across the tables and I'd see you there, with a wife and maybe a couple of kids. You wouldn't say anything to me, nor me to you. But we'd both know that you'd made it, that you were happy. I never wanted you to come back to Gotham. I always knew there was nothing here for you, except pain and tragedy. And I wanted something more for you than that. I still do.

Bruce knows where he goes and when he goes (it would literally take 30 seconds to check the manor's paperwork to check when Alfred's holidays were). "Hey, waiter, does a British older gentleman order this exact thing every night? Great, when does he come? Great, thanks, see you later tonight, reserve this table for me."

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So did Bruce know if or when Alfred was going to show up? He just happened to be there? I think Bruce took Selena to Italy and made her sit with him and wait 24/7 just in case Alfred showed up.

Bruce Wayne's the world's greatest detective. He probably knew the moment that Alfred left his hotel to go to the cafe.

You don't think he'd keep tabs on his most loyal friend/caretaker?

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Bruce Wayne's the world's greatest detective. He probably knew the moment that Alfred left his hotel to go to the cafe.

You don't think he'd keep tabs on his most loyal friend/caretaker?

That's how they could do a good new Batman movie, have him actually doing some detective work. And make it realistic, too.

What bothered me was how bruce got his back fixed. WTF Nolan

I still wonder if that would actually work.

BadAss2961

Talia is often written to have a love/hate relationship with her father. In TDKR, she specifically says that she couldn't forgive him for Bane until she found out that Bruce killed him.

thefro

I like how everyone gets "trapped" in Gotham once they close off the bridges/tunnels, when the last movie established that there's all sorts of docks and harbors and boats.

I know the harbor freezes later in the movie, but that's a couple months later.

jaxword

Children having a twisted love and hate relationship with their parents, in that they'd want to simultaneously wish them dead but at the same time wish for their approval, is the most realistic part of the movie.

Aurongel

When I saw the film opening day in theaters, I thought FOR SURE it could cut to black with him smiling and when it didn't I was initially disappointed.

The argument against that ending though is that after three films, the audience deserves to see the hero get a happy ending that had a sense of true finality to it (which Inception did not). Besides, having a similarly ambiguous ending like that would have probably led to more GAF backlash than what we ended up getting.

jaxword

I like how everyone gets "trapped" in Gotham once they close off the bridges/tunnels, when the last movie established that there's all sorts of docks and harbors and boats.

I know the harbor freezes later in the movie, but that's a couple months later.

Bane's plot specifically requires the rest of the US to isolate Gotham's citizens, so as soon as the CIA realized the nuclear bomb was legitimate, they had to keep the populace in while they worked out infiltration plans. This would include blocking shipping routes.

Maybe a few small boats got away, Cuba-style, but overall the populace was quite trapped.

BB is the best, you mean? Of course.

Agreed, the dark knight is a good film that was made amazing due to joker/harvey's performances. As good as Bane/Catwoman were he couldn't carry the silly plot. Batman Begins still stands as the best film for me. It had some cheesey moments like the TDK and TDKR but much less and the plot was just more logical.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
One thing that Irked me for the whole series is what Gotham City was

Batman Begins - Chicago/London
The Dark Knight - Chicago
The Dark Knight Rises - NYC

Stick to one fucking city please

In TDK you had the draw bridges going up to segregate the population, in TDKR, they now are suspension bridges being blown up

FUCK THIS NOISE!

In TDK you had the draw bridges going up to segregate the population, in TDKR, they now are suspension bridges being blown up

FUCK THIS NOISE!

This is why I love the Old batman films. Gotham City felt unique and not just random American Big City X.

Ridley327

FUCK THIS NOISE!

I guess Nolan's poor sense of geography isn't limited to just the fight scenes.

I'm always surprised at how much love this movie gets. Personally I can't stand it. Gotham feels like some movie set.

And it's the best representation of Gotham too. Grimy, Dark, Gross. Definitely nailed the down trodden aspect better than TDKR was supposed to after the riots occur.

Gannd

Banned
I'm always surprised at how much love this movie gets. Personally I can't stand it. Gotham feels like some movie set.

it gets love because it's the first Batman movie that wasn't horrible. It's not that great of a flick. The Amazing Spider-Man is better.

Blader

nhlducks35 said:
Bingo.

If they had put a simple "3 months later" that would have fixed the problem of the timing confusion.

Of course the movie is paced really poorly, as it jumps from a matter of months in like 10 minutes without informing the viewer.

The viewer was informed, you just weren't paying attention. Like a million other nitpicks of this movie can be attributed to.

THIS. A THOUSAND TIMES, this. TDKR was just a giant pile of shit all around. Cast and crew going through the motions because they knew nothing would top Heath.

Agreed, cops with no facial hair is fucking bullshit!!! Where's my refund Nolan!!!

Did it occur to anyone that maybe the cops went home first? To, y'know, see their families for the first time in months before marching to their deaths?

Mr. Sam

Why did the police charge at Bane's men, who were armed with assault rifles, head on? What's more, how did that not get most, if not all, of them killed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom