• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bane vs Batman in TDKR is one of the worst fight scenes in modern cinema, isn't it

I like to shit on nolans fight scenes.... but that bane gif is being horribly misrepresented.

It looks slow motion and i believe by that point bats had already messed with his mask and him busting up that column was a great way to show the rage that came from the pain he was in.

You know, I was watching the gif thinking "I legitimately don't remember this part" and that might be why. In context its completely different, he lets out an angry yell when he punches the column making it clear he's just raging and hitting it was intentional. It's effective, making Batman's dodge more daring because you can see how hard Bane is swinging. Like a "Oh shit, his head was right there a second ago" sort of thing while also communicating Bane's frustration and pain. Without the sound it makes him look like he's trying to punch someone who isn't there.

sam777

3666356-138689442368.gif
I hate this gif as it doesn't show the gun going off, which is the reason the other guy falls.

jett

D-Member
Theres and gun shot that takes the front guy out. I know I know, "the fight scenes though are the worst".....Carry on.

Even if the gun is supposed to be what kills Slippin' Jimmy, there's no muzzle flash, and the alleged gunshot sound so weak it might as well be the sound effect of Batman's kick making contact with the guy. What's funny is that a few seconds later there's another gunshot that actually sounds like a proper gunshot.

So, you know, still bad for not making it clear.

Obviously, what would really make it is a little red mist, but Nolan is weaksauce like that.

Then you have stuff like Daredevil which constantly has amazing fight scenes, love the responses *Oh but you FEEL the fights when you can hear it* I don't need to hear this GIF to feel how fucking brutal it looks.

giphy.gif

That head butt was terrible or was he attacking with a sneeze?? Need audio for final review.

zoukka

I still maintain that TDKR is a half assed movie that Nolan didn't want to make because he was still shook over Ledger

It is clear. And I don't even hear or see any gunshots from that gif-scene, but in the movie it's over so fast that most people won't notice.

Not that Nolan is that great in hand to hand combat scenes, but as a whole his fights have more emotion, clarity and impact than most action movies which just goes to show how important it is to have solid filmmaking skills even in action scenes and movies. People post stuff from video games and movies where CGI-actors smack each other and while these scenes can be cool for a few minutes, they don't work in a context of a full movie.

Reminds me of people wanting full length movies by studios that make 60-second opening cinematics for games lul.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I hate this gif as it doesn't show the gun going off, which is the reason the other guy falls.

But there is no gunshot noise either. No muzzle flash. If this was their intention when choreographing this, clearly not everyone in post-production was informed.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Then you have stuff like Daredevil which constantly has amazing fight scenes, love the responses *Oh but you FEEL the fights when you can hear it* I don't need to hear this GIF to feel how fucking brutal it looks.

giphy.gif

Who's fighting in this scene and why?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Who's fighting in this scene and why?

Punisher was snuck into a cell block to kill a crime boss. He tries to get out once it`s finished, is betrayed and left inside. Then all the crime boss` goons are let out of their cells, find their boss dead, and immediately go after Frank.

Xero

I think your missing the point that even with a mech suit you aren't going to destroy those pillars spinning a dude around on a wire either with the Man of Steel or weaker Man of Steel.

Alien versus Predator did the same thing and it's stupid in both.
I know people hate the argument but at some point for a non grounded sci fi movie you have to let things go and just flow with it. Suspension of belief is always asked of viewers with these films. Nothing in that gif really counters anything in the movie, so its more of a your fine with super man flying with no reason given, but batman in an enhanced mech suit smashing auper man through pillars is too much really comes across like you are searching for things to have a problem with, and with that movie you dont have to dig that deep.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Punisher was snuck into a cell block to kill a crime boss. He tries to get out once it`s finished, is betrayed and left inside, then all the crime boss` goons are let out of their cells, find him boss dead, and immediately go after Frank.

Cool! Thanks!

Dopus

Banned

giphy.gif

Someone make a gif of the headbutt and let's all discuss why it's the worst fight scene ever for a couple of pages. Maybe slow it down and zoom in for emphasis too.

Axiology

I know people hate the argument but at some point for a non grounded sci fi movie you have to let things go and just flow with it. Suspension of belief is always asked of viewers with these films. Nothing in that gif really counters anything in the movie, so its more of a your fine with super man flying with no reason given, but batman in an enhanced mech suit smashing auper man through pillars is too much really comes across like you are searching for things to have a problem with, and with that movie you dont have to dig that deep.

The problem with this kind of reasoning, though, is at a certain point you end up just letting creators off for lazy writing. I guess it's a given that the suit makes him as strong as Superman, or somewhere near as strong at least, since they're punching each other all over during the fight. But that's a much bigger problem than just something that looks wildly implausible.

How did Batman make such a crazy suit? If they wanted to lampshade the ridiculousness they could have explained that he used ancient Kryptonian tech to make it or something, but there's nothing like that. It cheapens Superman a whole bunch, and even then doesn't explain how Batman survives being thrown through thick brick walls. Also, he should be wearing it all the time if it's that good.

As for that particular clip, though, they don't sell it well at all. It's not like he swung him around a few times to gain momentum, or pulled Superman towards him to build up speed. We're supposed to believe that he broke 4 pillars with only one swing? With 50 feet of slack?

It's much sillier than anything you see in Nolan's stuff, even crazy shit like Bane punching through that pillar with his hands in tact, or Bruce's leg brace allowing him to kick through bricks.

Someone make a gif of the headbutt and let's all discuss why it's the worst fight scene ever for a couple of pages. Maybe slow it down and zoom in for emphasis too.
I'd rather rewatch
motherfucking™
Snakes on a Plane over TDKR. At least the snakes had interesting fight scenes.

Top Bottom