• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bane vs Batman in TDKR is one of the worst fight scenes in modern cinema, isn't it

jett

D-Member
Especially considering the movie, the budget, the people involved and the context behind it.

There was a discussion recently in another thread about fighting scenes in Batman's movies, so I felt like revisiting this fight, which I hadn't watched in several years.

https://youtu.be/rDuetklFtDQ?t=18

Bah gawd, it's WWE-tier choreography paired with some of the most forgettable and lame camerawork implemented in a major set piece. Is there anything salvageable about it? Every hit feels weak and looks dumb and/or useless. Then there's Batman throwing baby powder at Bane for some reason, or Tom Hardy's godawful voice acting, but that's another discussion.

Can anything beat it in awfulness? Do we have to go back all the way to Shaq's STEEL?

p.s. I've never seen Steel.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I was less of a fan of the second fight between the two, with all the hilariously limp fight choreography from the sea of extras in the background.

Alienous

There are scenes in that same movie that are more deserving of that accolade. Even the second Bane fight.

The first one did quite a few things right - staging, the lack of music, the use of water. My biggest complaint is the weak backbreaker, honestly.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I like it just because it's Bane and Batman finally going at each other but yeah, it could've been much better if the actual fighting was well done.

The first one did quite a few things right in - staging, the lack of music, the use of water. My biggest complaint is the weak backbreaker, honestly.

Yeah, all that stuff is pretty awesome. It's all the Nolan goodness but with the Nolan shitty action.

3666356-138689442368.gif

I thought it was the highlight of the movie actually. (Not to say it was excellently executed, but it worked for me at the time).

h1nch

I quite enjoyed that fight scene. Much more than all the fight scenes in the Snyder films.

I also think that even with all its flaws, TDKR still shits on MoS/BvS/SS.

Nah, that honour comes later in the movie. Their second fight is worse. It also doesn't even benefit from the badass "born in the dark" speech. Instead we get:

"So you've come back to die with your city."
"No... I came back to stop you!"

Worst pre-fight trash talk of all time.

Pizza

Honestly I've never been a big fan of the Nolan movies. TDKR turned everything I disliked about em up to 11.

The part where Batman whisper-screams "WHERES THE DETONATOR" and bane retorts something dumb in his terrible voice and then they roll around on the floor had me giggling like an idiot in the theatre on opening night to the point where people shushed me

Chumley

Banned
I don't agree at all with the overblown criticisms on this forum. I don't really care about perfect choreography because the emotion, atmosphere, and cinematography was all pitch perfect. You could feel the desperation in everything Batman was doing, and the lack of music made it even more terrifying.

Give me this over Batman v Superman fight scenes all day.

- J - D -

It's bad on a technical level and worse in how it fails to show how Batman has grown or changed allowing him to physically beat Bane. It's a poor scene all around.

edit: Oh you meant the first fight, not the final fight. Well, that one's not great either but at least Bane has some decent lines.

I quite enjoyed that fight scene. Much more than all the fight scenes in the Snyder films.

I also think that even with all it's flaws, TDKR still shits on MoS/BvS/SS.
and 90%+ of the Marvel movies.

That fight was great. Nolan needs to do more takes for these segments to clean it up though. He just moves on despite finding issues which sometimes can be infuriating. -_-

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yikes this could've used a reshoot or at least some semblance of editing.....
GWVwjDQ.gif

I think the sound design is good but everything else is weak and uninspired in that scene. I don't think I've ever seen a great fight scene in a live action Batman movie which is a shame since the Captain America movies show that just plain fisticuffs in a comic book movie can work wonders when done well.

It's probably the best scene in the movie dude. Some of the choreography is a little rough, but pretty much everything else about it captures the pure menace and power of Bane.

Yikes this could've used a reshoot or at least some semblance of editing.....
GWVwjDQ.gif

Yeah it's too obvious they're standing like 5 feet away from each other, but with the sound effects it's not so bad. The shot looks cool as hell, too.

Sulik2

It's the best scene in the movie. Bane deconstructing Batman with ease. Rises has lots if bad fight scenes, this one I don't get calling bad.

Jombie

All of the action scenes in the films are awful. Go back and watch the chase scene in TDK - - it's edited and staged so badly that it's hard to believe a major director was at the helm.

Chumley

Banned
It's the best scene in the movie. Bane deconstructing Batman with ease. Rises has lots if bad fight scenes, this one I don't get calling bad.

It doesn't have a ton of cuts and shakycam so it must be bad, see.

Message board posters have been desperate to undercut Nolan for years now.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
it would be really nice if we could get a batman movie where the batman(master detective and fighter) could detect anything or fight worth a damn

Alienous

I rewatched Batman Forever.

The fight choreography was actually ok for it's time you know.

I think I recall a really stupid spin Batman does in that movie (on his feet, not the one through the skylight) during a fight, but otherwise it's pretty good. Batman uses fighting stances. He kicks people. Not great but it works.

Shauni

But with Zimmer's score it actually becomes the best fight sequence ever?

That scene in the gif, or the scene referenced in the OP? Because if it's the former, your standards are disturbingly low, friend.

EDIT: I missed the question mark, my bad. Lol.

Top Bottom