• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bane vs Batman in TDKR is one of the worst fight scenes in modern cinema, isn't it

Daft_Cat

I always saw it as intentionally anti-climactic. I was expecting more of a "fight" given Bruce's preceding "back in action" montage, but instead Bane almost casually beats the shit out of him. To me, that worked as an effective subversion of expectation.

It's not a great movie, but that's one of its better scenes. It works dramatically, if not in terms of the choreography.

Mael

3666356-138689442368.gif

Am I actually seeing an extra throw a fight in the front row because they were too lazy to do a proper reshoot?
TELL ME THERE IS A REASON FOR THAT!

Chumley

Banned
Am I actually seeing an extra throw a fight in the front row because they were too lazy to do a proper reshoot?

A dudes gun went off on the right side of the screen that took him down.

But hey, who needs context and sound effects when you want to make some bullshit case about Nolan being a bad director, right?

- J - D -

I really do think the second fight was more egregious. At least you can rationalize the sloppiness of the first fight as "Batman's rusty ass has been out of action for 8 years".

Alienous

I always saw it as intentionally anti-climactic. You expect some semblance of a confrontation given Bruce's preceding "back in action" montage, but what we get instead is Bane almost casually beating the shit out of him. To me, that worked as an effective subversion of expectation.

It's not a great movie, but that's one of its better scenes. It works dramatically, if not in terms of the choreography.

Yeah. It isn't really supposed to be a fight. It's a beatdown to demonstrate how thoroughly outmatched Batman is. And it conveys that well, I think, even in the choreography. Its just different ways of Bane exerting physical dominance on Batman.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't agree at all with the overblown criticisms on this forum. I don't really care about perfect choreography because the emotion, atmosphere, and cinematography was all pitch perfect. You could feel the desperation in everything Batman was doing, and the lack of music made it even more terrifying.

Give me this over Batman v Superman fight scenes all day.
I mean at least Batman vs Superman shows that you can nail a tone while also making a fight look more like a fight:

Shauni

You mean the guy who just flies backward closest to the camera? Yeah, the guy Batman hits shots his gun as he's falling, so it's less random than it appears without sound.

But it's hilarious to see people try to dismiss stuff like that because of the music and 'emotion.' There may be good elements there, but those fights all look terrible no matter how much Zimmerman score you through at it.

I like that fight mostly because it's intense and Hardy's Bane is fantastic. Plus seeing Batman get the beat shit out of him made sense within the context of the story.

Chumley

Banned
or it could look like an actual fight is happening

It isn't supposed to be a fight. It's supposed to be a completely one sided ass beating with exaggerated movements and sound effects to illustrate that.

I really do think the second fight was more egregious. At least you can rationalize the sloppiness of the first fight as "Batman's rusty ass has been out of action for 8 years".

What was egregious about the second one? It was thrilling. Were people actually nitpicking the fucking choreography in the theater the first time they saw that?

Mael

A dudes gun went off on the right side of the screen that took him down.

But hey, who needs context and sound effects when you want to make some bullshit case about Nolan being a bad director, right?

Ok that makes sense, it's just a badly edited gif.
that kind of stuffs is usually what you would expect from a Batman&Robin sequence!

Shaanyboi

Banned
Nolan sucks ass at hand to hand fights. He should hire The Raid guy for it.

No choreographer would've made that costume easier to move in.

It's a bad, limp-dicked fight, but there are good things about it. Some of Bane's lines are great, I liked how it played without music, the sound design makes the hits sound hard, and Batman just exhaustedly throwing hits helps sell how ineffective he is against this guy.

But as an actual fight, it's bad. Nowhere near "the worst in modern cinema" though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Crappy choreography, poor physicality in the fighting from the actors, overly dark filming that seems to like it wants to mask how bad it is and give it some "mood", and even the back breaker was weak as hell. It was a muddled poorly paced mess with a lot of silly dialogue. Then again the whole movie is a train wreck and this fight is just one of the "high lights".

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It doesn't have a ton of cuts and shakycam so it must be bad, see.

Message board posters have been desperate to undercut Nolan for years now.

I even really like Rise but I can still admit the fight scenes aren't well done. Nolan should've gotten a second unit director to help him.
It isn't supposed to be a fight. It's supposed to be a completely one sided ass beating with exaggerated movements and sound effects to illustrate that.
That's what the BvS fight is but they actually made it pretty goddamn great.

Alienous

I mean at least Batman vs Superman shows that you can nail a tone while also making a fight look more like a fight:

The tone of the Batman v Superman scene was 'out of practice'. The tone of The Dark Knight Rises' scene is 'hopelessly outmatched'.

They both do a good job, I think. The Bane fight is engaging, from the first caught punch, to being kicked over the railing. Batman's desperation, Bane catching Batman out of the darkness and lifting him up by his throat. Monologuing mid-fight because he's so in control. It works, imo.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
I thought It was quite effective but then again I'm not a nit picky little bitch about fight sequences in superhero movies.

4Tran

The fight scenes in that film are terrible but you can make out what's going on, so they're not in the conversation when it comes to really bad fight scenes. The winners there will be the ones where the director abuses shakycam so they don't have to have proper choreography.

Oh man, Nolan is just so deep.

What? That's not an attempt at "being deep", that's a director doing his job. Like, that's the bare minimum. Literally every creative choice in film is thought out in regards to the specific effect it's trying to achieve.

Lulubop

What was egregious about the second one? It was thrilling. Were people actually nitpicking the fucking choreography in the theater the first time they saw that?

That makes it even worse, the shitty editing and choreography lessen the impacts and brutally here.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The tone of the Batman v Superman scene was 'out of practice'. The tone of The Dark Knight Rises' scene is 'hopelessly outmatched'.

They both do a good job, I think. The Bane fight is engaging, from the first caught punch, to being kicked over the railing. Batman's desperation, Bane catching Batman out of the darkness and lifting him up by his throat. Monologuing mid-fight because he's so in control. It works, imo.
Again the tone is perfect, it's just the Christian Bale fighting that takes me out of it. Cause he tends to fight like that in every scene anyway lol.

Mael

You mean the guy who just flies backward closest to the camera? Yeah, the guy Batman hits shots his gun as he's falling, so it's less random than it appears without sound.

As presented here, it literally makes as much sense as any choice made for Batman&Robin.
The guy is in front of the camera and fall for no reason.
If the point was that the fight sequence is badly made, it's useless as the most glaring issue is from the how badly the gif is cut from the film.

But it's hilarious to see people try to dismiss stuff like that because of the music and 'emotion.' There may be good elements there, but those fights all look terrible no matter how much Zimmerman score you through at it.

I dunno, the 1st Bane fight actually makes sense with Batman looking like a fool getting dismantled like he's nothing.
What doesn't work is how it's supposed to show that Bane is really good at fighting though :/

I like how most of the "critique" in these threads winds up just being zoomed, cropped gifs on repeat that hyper-exaggerate every flaw, because that's clearly how we all watch movies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
it's especially bad in a post BvS world

for kinetic, weighty action shots - Snyder is among the very best

zoukka

Nah I watched the video just now and the fight is fine. Sure there isn't any technically demanding coreography in it, but the pacing is fine, the drama is fine and the dialogue is more than fine for the source material.

There are much worse flaws in this movie.

Dr Bass

Oh man, Nolan is just so deep.

It doesn't have anything to do with being deep. Batman is being toyed with, the dialogue throughout the scene indicates that.

I find it funny how NeoGAF seems to think things that are regarded as generally very high quality "suck" after it's been out for awhile.

Shauni

...You think that's deep?

Everything happens as lord Nolan wishes it. It can possibly be that a good filmmaker filmed some crappy scenes here and there.

What? That's not an attempt at "being deep", that's a director doing his job. Like, that's the bare minimum. Literally every creative choice in film is thought out in regards to the specific effect it's trying to achieve.

I thought within context to Chumley's fanboy worship the /s was implied lol, but my bad

As presented here, it literally makes as much sense as any choice made for Batman&Robin.
The guy is in front of the camera and fall for no reason.
If the point was that the fight sequence is badly made, it's useless as the most glaring issue is from the how badly the gif is cut from the film.

No, the main issue is that it looks like shit all around. That part really isn't even that important.

I dunno, the 1st Bane fight actually makes sense with Batman looking like a fool getting dismantled like he's nothing.
What doesn't work is how it's supposed to show that Bane is really good at fighting though :/

Man, look at those gifs people posted of that fight on the first page. It doesn't even look like Bane is fucking hitting him half the time lol.

People can knock BvS as much as they want (including me) but Nolan is horrible with action. It all comes across as silly. BvS Batman fight scene in the warehouse is unquestionably the best batman fight ever put on film.

Lulubop

It doesn't have anything to do with being deep. Batman is being toyed with, the dialogue throughout the scene indicates that.

I find it funny how NeoGAF seems to think things that are regarded as generally very high quality "suck" after it's been out for awhile.

Batman being toyed with means a poorly choreographed fight scene is ok?

Ok that makes sense, it's just a badly edited gif.
that kind of stuffs is usually what you would expect from a Batman&Robin sequence!

Er no, Batman & Robin's fights were actually done much differently, more in a comedic "OMG sort of way!"

Nah, that honour comes later in the movie. Their second fight is worse. It also doesn't even benefit from the badass "born in the dark" speech. Instead we get:

"So you've come back to die with your city."
"No... I came back to stop you!"

Worst pre-fight trash talk of all time.

Yeeeeesh. TDKR smacks of Nolan not really giving a shit and doing the film so the trilogy can end on his terms.

The scene in question is awful, but I would tie it with the fighting you see at the start of TDK, with Batman in the parking lot with the extremely stiff fighting against the goons. The other action in the scence is great but the hand to hand combat always struck me as stiff, poorly choreographed, lacking in impact and poor in execution. In the trilogy it felt like batman was always fighting against himself when he was in the suit using his hands.

Nolan would really benefit with an action director.

sans_pants

avec_pénis

oh shit, now i see

it was bad on purpose

nolan da gawd

Top Bottom