• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bane vs Batman in TDKR is one of the worst fight scenes in modern cinema, isn't it

People can knock BvS as much as they want (including me) but Nolan is horrible with action. It all comes across as silly. BvS Batman fight scene in the warehouse is unquestionably the best batman fight ever put on film.

I prefer the Penguin fight from Batman Returns, or the waltz to the death myself.

Shauni

It doesn't have anything to do with being deep. Batman is being toyed with, the dialogue throughout the scene indicates that.

I find it funny how NeoGAF seems to think things that are regarded as generally very high quality "suck" after it's been out for awhile.

Eh, I actually don't dislike TDKR. It's my least favorite of the three, but I still find it enjoyable enough. But the fights look like shit. I don't even think that is a new thing people say. One of the common criticisms of Nolan's Batman films is the poor action sequences, and TDKR's takes the cake.

Chumley

Banned
I even really like Rise but I can still admit the fight scenes aren't well done. Nolan should've gotten a second unit director to help him.

That's what the BvS fight is but they actually made it pretty goddamn great.

The tone of that BvS fight is entirely different and wouldn't fit in the Nolan trilogy.

I think the choreography complaints are probably somewhat valid but not even close to the extent people here make them out to be. I just can't believe anyone really gives that much of a shit about the hits not looking like they fully connect, thats something I only noticed maybe the third time I saw the movie. If I have to pick that over atmosphere and cinematography, I'm taking atmosphere and cinematography every time.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I like how most of the "critique" in these threads winds up just being zoomed, cropped gifs on repeat that hyper-exaggerate every flaw, because that's clearly how we all watch movies.
The gif I posted wasn't zoomed in at all actually.

Besides the weak backbreaker I actually kind of like it. It's tense and dramatic despite not being choreographed that well. You kind of feel bad for Batman because you know he's utterly fucked. Bane just looks so fucking imposing, it makes the whole thing look like a child trying to fight a man.
Like a Brock Lesnar match. Which isn't much of a wrestling match, it's just a beat down.

But I also liked Bane's voice, so whatever.

The fight scenes in the Dark Knight weren't any better, its just they weren't as much a focus as The Dark Knight Rises. Hell that entire convoy chase totally falls apart under any scrutiny.

I mean, I don't even get how this is a fuckin' question though. Like, how do you even arrive at this particular question, much less posing it more or less rhetorically because you're already fairly certain the answer is yes?

It's not even that bad a goddamned fight. It's not great or anything, but "one of the worst fight scenes in modern cinema?"

Like... wha?

Where are we and by what indiscernable from magic technology did we warp to this destination

That fight could have been so hype but the choreography is just atrocious. Imagine Snyder directing a Bane vs Batman fight. It’d be a shit movie for sure but the fight would be awesome.

Mael

No, the main issue is that it looks like shit all around. That part really isn't even that important.

But that's clearly not the issue this gif is highlighting.
It wasn't so hard to just either cut the guy falling for no reason or include something to show that the movie is telling you why the guy is falling.
This gif is misleading and weakens the point it's trying to make.

jett

D-Member
batmanflop.gif

I actually kinda like the action bits in Batman 89, aren't too shabby for its time. I can dig the silliness, and this is probably better choreographed than anything in Nolan's trilogy, lol.

Litan

You chose poorly. That's the best fight in the movie.

The most disappointing fight for me in the TDK trilogy was the warehouse fight in BB.
It starts off really well with Batman dropping down on dudes and dragging them into the shadows. The kind of thing I've always wanted to see in a Batman movie. Then he jumps in the middle of the group and...the camera starts spinning and shaking while the lights flash and everybody grunts.

All of the action scenes in the films are awful. Go back and watch the chase scene in TDK - - it's edited and staged so badly that it's hard to believe a major director was at the helm.

See also the ski chase in Inception. I'm not worried about Dunkirk, though. WWII brings out your A game.

Chumley

Banned
I mean, I don't even get how this is a fuckin' question though. Like, how do you even arrive at this particular question, much less posing it more or less rhetorically because you're already fairly certain the answer is yes?

It's not even that bad a goddamned fight. It's not great or anything, but "one of the worst fight scenes in modern cinema?"

Like... wha?

Where are we and by what indiscernable from magic technology did we warp to this destination

Things can only be the best of all time or the worst of all time.

You know you can also comment on the actual comments about the many issues with the fight scene if you want.

You're like the last person who should be trying to backseat moderate this thread.

I love how they light and frame Bane in this sequence. He looks like a goddamn monster, which goes a long way to selling the physicality in the fight.

tumblr_mzh1phG9Ej1rpr5lvo1_500.gif

Isn't there another famous gif with bats & cat woman fighting goons? It looks awful. Lots of phantom punches and extras flopping everywhere.

Felt so blah after seeing this movie(tdkr) in theaters. Felt like a crazy person when everyone I knew said they like/loved it.

It's a beatdown, not a fight, on that it works even with it being PG-13 violence the hits Bane lands on Batman's face really hit.
The rest I won't really comment, Batman was done dirty with that bullshit martial arts they made him do for three movies.

Shauni

The tone of that BvS fight is entirely different and wouldn't fit in the Nolan trilogy.

I think the choreography complaints are probably somewhat valid but not even close to the extent people here make them out to be. I just can't believe anyone really gives that much of a shit about the hits not looking like they fully connect, thats something I only noticed maybe the third time I saw the movie. If I have to pick that over atmosphere and cinematography, I'm taking atmosphere and cinematography every time.

A fight, man, what is it?

People can knock BvS as much as they want (including me) but Nolan is horrible with action. It all comes across as silly. BvS Batman fight scene in the warehouse is unquestionably the best batman fight ever put on film.

Nolan was terrible with action but great with story. Unfortunately Snyder is the complete opposite.

That fight could have been so hype but the choreography is just atrocious. Imagine Snyder directing a Bane vs Batman fight. It’d be a shit movie for sure but the fight would be awesome.

I'd give much less of a fuck about the characters, (and I already didn't care about Bane). So, it would be even more pointless.

It's like, the warehouse fight in BvS is nicely shot, but every goddamn character in that movie sucks. Why should I even care?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Things can only be the best of all time or the worst of all time.

You're like the last person who should be trying to backseat moderate this thread.

Ok? I also posted comments about why its a sloppy mess and you can comment on those unless character attacks are all you have to offer. Nolan has never been that great an action director.

Shauni

But that's clearly not the issue this gif is highlighting.
It wasn't so hard to just either cut the guy falling for no reason or include something to show that the movie is telling you why the guy is falling.
This gif is misleading and weakens the point it's trying to make.

I'm pretty sure it very much is. Even if you want to take out the banana peel man, the rest of it looks terrible, so you're trying too hard.

I'd give much less of a fuck about the characters, (and I already didn't care about Bane). So, it would be even more pointless.

It's like, the warehouse fight in BvS is nicely shot, but every goddamn character in that movie sucks. Why should I even care?

I dunno, I can still enjoy a bad movie if it has some cool sequences. TDKRises is just a bad movie and even the “cool” sequences suck.

Yeeeeesh. TDKR smacks of Nolan not really giving a shit and doing the film so the trilogy can end on his terms.

Based upon any interview, I seriously doubt Nolan enters a film "not giving a shit". In fact thematically TDKR fits into his trilogy quite well. His Batman has a beginning, middle & end.

Firemind

I love how they light and frame Bane in this sequence. He looks like a goddamn monster, which goes a long way to selling the physicality in the fight.
i mean he's better than b&r's bane but that's still not bane

people don't fight like that

Mael

Er no, Batman & Robin's fights were actually done much differently, more in a comedic "OMG sort of way!"

They were but all choices made for Batman & Robin were shit, every single thing is crap in that movie.
No one is making a thread about badly choreographed scene for that movie because everyone want to forget about it.
It also suffers from the Metroid Other M syndrome : other parts were so incredibly memorably shitty that no one can focus on any issue without falling back to the shitty stuffs everyone remembers.

btrboyev

I quite enjoyed that fight scene. Much more than all the fight scenes in the Snyder films.

I also think that even with all its flaws, TDKR still shits on MoS/BvS/SS.

It really doesn't though TDKR garbage straight up.

Nothing about it makes any sense at all

HStallion

On the contrary, I enjoyed it more viewing it like this.
Bane is the no selling hoss, Bats is the ring rusted veteran who can't go anymore.
Bane cuts promos while he squashes Batman clean, would somebody stop the damn match!

This... makes a lot more sense than it should.

Chumley

Banned
I mean, it was a ridiculous claim to try and justify what he was, so that number was disconnected.

Right, so explaining the filmmaking process and creative decisions behind films is "justification".

And you seemingly have nothing to add to this thread beyond insults and attempts at being witty. You're getting close to that point I press the ignore button.

tomtom94

Nolan was simultaneously burnt out and trying to beat Dark Knight with Rises and the results suffer. (Also having to work from a hastily rewritten second draft)

That said... perspective, people, please.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

The sound design isn't doing the scene any favors when it comes to the oomph of the punches from either Bane or Batman.

I mean, it was a ridiculous claim to try and justify what he was, so that number was disconnected.

Huh I'm not sure I'm following? He was claiming that Nolan shot and edited the scene in a specific way to make it feel like a scary and brutal beat down of Batman...that's literally what the scene is and what everyone involved was trying to achieve, regardless if it succeeded for you or not. How is that ridiculous?

Firemind

Nolan was simultaneously burnt out and trying to beat Dark Knight with Rises and the results suffer. (Also having to work from a hastily rewritten second draft)

the fights in begins and tdk sucked too bro

Mael

I'm pretty sure it very much is. Even if you want to take out the banana peel man, the rest of it looks terrible, so you're trying too hard.

But because of banana peel man it looks like a disingenuous edit made to make a point over being honest.
Just cut banana peel man from the gif, it's weakening whatever point the gif is trying to make.

Fbh

As much as I like the Nolan Batman movies...the fights and choreography in them are really really bad

HStallion

Ledger's death threw a gigantic wrench into everything that Nolan wanted the final movie of the trilogy to be or at least it feels like it. The third movie just feels so off compared to the earlier movies, like they were never quite sure where to go with it without the Joker.

Top Bottom