• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banshee - The 4th and final season - Fridays on Cinemax

Status
Not open for further replies.

KonradLaw

Rapidly running out of either fun or interesting shows to watch, another one has gone without anything new coming up to take its place.

Well, it looks like Banshee's legacy will live on, not just in Quarry, but of the main producers is doing Scalped.
Also, if anyone is missing incredible action set pieces in TV go watch Preacher pilot, because Jesus Christ. It looks like Cinemax show :D

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Preacher was already on my to do list, glad it's good.

Zaph

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11613973

Guess that explains a few things about S4, perhaps more so than the cited lack of budget.

That's unfortunate - hopefully nothing was permanent and he's recovered well. It's just a shame that he signed up for a pulpy action show, then checked out on the final season. Similarly to this season of Vikings, when you slow down what is a fun, fast-paced ride, suddenly the weaker elements are far more obvious.

That said, the writers and producers could have easily worked around it with less hand-to-hand combat and using other characters more. But they didn't, so I guess the show's budget and production changes allowed this to be a convenient happenstance.

mekes

Well, it looks like Banshee's legacy will live on, not just in Quarry, but of the main producers is doing Scalped.
Also, if anyone is missing incredible action set pieces in TV go watch Preacher pilot, because Jesus Christ. It looks like Cinemax show :D

Thanks so much for the knowledge! Saved info pages for both of those to my internet favorites so I'm aware when they start :)

[Fugo]

[Fugo];200032012 said:
I think Burton killed Rebecca, as a "punishment" for finding Hood. Her reaction points up to that. And Burton never liked the influence she had on Proctor

I called that!

Audioboxer

Started Fargo, looks like it might scratch some Banshee itches. However I didn't know it was self contained seasons. While that won't put me off good TV I prefer something that creates characters and lives over multiple seasons.

Preacher looks interesting but just starting. Damn me and my enjoyment of binge watching.

Finally marathoned the last season over the past 2 days.

What a disappointing run of episodes. I was never as in love with the show as some others (no where near the love I had for Strike Back anyway), but I did expect them to deliver an exciting and ridiculous final season, but neither of those descriptors apply. Was just slow fallout from S3 with a bit of boring new plot mixed in. It picked up in the final few eps, and the finale itself did its best to close the show out proper, but man the season as a whole was just bleh.

The more pressing issue is that I've gone from having an abundance of entertaining action series' to being starved for new ones.

Bleepey

What a disappointing run of episodes. I was never as in love with the show as some others (no where near the love I had for Strike Back anyway), but I did expect them to deliver an exciting and ridiculous final season, but neither of those descriptors apply. Was just slow fallout from S3 with a bit of boring new plot mixed in. It picked up in the final few eps, and the finale itself did its best to close the show out proper, but man the season as a whole was just bleh.

The more pressing issue is that I've gone from having an abundance of entertaining action series' to being starved for new ones.

What shows have you seen and what shows do you like?

Decado

Yeah, fourth season was disappointing even though it was clear after s2 the show blew it's load in s1.

S1 is near the pinicle of action tv, but it never regained that form. S3 was the second best season. The other two need barely have happened.

Yeah, fourth season was disappointing even though it was clear after s2 the show blew it's load in s1.

S1 is near the pinicle of action tv, but it never regained that form. S3 was the second best season. The other two need barely have happened.

So true.

bro between this and penny dreadful it's like genre tv wanted to shit on my hype this year.

and yeah there is literally no cool action series left right now. i don't watch network shows like Hawaii 5-0 either.

I remember it felt like we were swimming in it a few years ago with weekly Strike Back and Banshee too. Then Strike Back ends and this decides to turn into a mediocre murder drama. there's a void right now and something needs to fill it soon. what are the strike back or spartacus producers up to. I always found Strike Back to be more solid action TV, they really nailed the formula where every episode felt like an action film. This had better fight scenes though but that just went away completely after the first season.

KonradLaw

and yeah there is literally no cool action series left right now.

They even canceled Player and the poor Stonebridge has to play a damn lawyer now :( And damn Amazon didn't pick up Edge to series. The pilot had awesome action
It's pretty sad that this year the best action scenes on TV are in a damn Preacher, where they are just a nice side dish for the show, intead of being the main treat.

As always, all hope lies in Cinemax now with Boys and Rain.

KonradLaw

It's still so hard to find good action to watch. Oh well, guess I'll just go through Nikita again.

If you're starved watch Transporter series. Pretty damn nice, with good action scenes and beautiful locales. More fun than the recent movie reboot easily.

They even canceled Player and the poor Stonebridge has to play a damn lawyer now :( And damn Amazon didn't pick up Edge to series. The pilot had awesome action
It's pretty sad that this year the best action scenes on TV are in a damn Preacher, where they are just a nice side dish for the show, intead of being the main treat.

As always, all hope lies in Cinemax now with Boys and Rain.

is that Rain thing still happening? if so that is exactly what we need right now.

Decado

is that Rain thing still happening? if so that is exactly what we need right now.
Slim pickings for action shows now. I doubt anything will best 2013 when we had the holy trinity of s1 Banshee, s3 Spartacus, and Strike Back.

Would Quarry scratch the action itch?

I found Into the Badlands to be very enjoyable low-brow action. I think it is getting s2 next year.

Really want it to Rain, though...

KonradLaw

It's still in the works, but no news on anything precise. Barry Eisler (the writer of the novels) said those things take time, so I wouldn't expect anything soon.

Cinemax seems to have picked up HBO's habit of developing shows very slowly. It will take Quarry over three years from the moment they've ordered a pilot to premiere

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
what are the strike back or spartacus producers up to.

Spartacus: Steven S. DeKnight was working on the new Transformers movie but is now directing Pacific Rim 2. Rob Tapert is working on Ash vs. Evil Dead and the Xena reboot for NBC.

Strike Back: Frank Spotnitz recently did Man in the High Castle for Amazon and is now working on a miniseries called The Indian Detective. Dan Percival is still working on Man in the High Castle as an exec producer. Tony Saint is developing a reboot of Das Boot. Michael J. Basset is working on a horror movie called Saint Mary's.

Blitzed through this show on Amazon. Incredible. Final season sucked a bit, seems like the showrunner's decision to end it early backfired spectacularly since the season felt stuffed to the gills with shit that didn't matter like the serial killer storyline. Left me wanting more, though, which is always good for a series.

I miss Banshee :( This series is fucking awesome and I hope Antony Starr doesn't fade, he was fucking incredible as Hood, both with a spectacularly subdued yet emotional acting (
his last talk with Carrie holy shit I needed a hug afterwards
) and especially in the fight scenes punching dudes twice his size. I suspended my disbelief in the first episode and the whole ride since was just all around FANTASTIC.

I also quite liked Into the Badlands for reasons beyond me. I thought it got kind of underrated, but then again I understand why it did. Still missing the Justified/Banshee combo of greatness.

I actually thought Season 1 was a lot better than 3. Its drawn out at this point, and

there are a couple of gut wrenching deaths, but its dissapointing that none of the four inner circle characters have died.

By the end of season 3:

I think that by now, after a billion close calls, either carrie, sugar, or job should have died. The show would sustain more of its edge and appeal that way. The feel too immune at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom