• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banshee - Season 3 - Fridays on Cinemax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cinemax confirmed that season 4 would be the last.
"To the lost".

giphy.gif

Foggy

Is it a full on action series like Strike Back and Banshee? They are so few and far between it is always hard to let them go.

Hard-boiled hitman pulp. Plenty of violence and sex to go around, but I wouldn't expect rocket launchers or anything :)

To put it in perspective, the books are written by Max Allan Collins who also wrote Road to Perdition.

Decado

Not even close. Hood can take Burton. He will look like utter mess after it, but if Nola got close then Hood can definitely take Burton down.
She is an assassin and probably above hood...not to mention the guy was hit square with a throwing axe, which would slow anyone down.

Hell, for whatever reason hood and proctor seem about equal and burton is proctors body guard.

Holy fuck, i just might've been spoiled big time. And i mean BIG FUCKING TIME :(
In one of the casting calls there is a major spoiler, but i'm not sure it's really true, it's too specific.

Over-Run

Most depressing news I've seen in a while, this was my favourite show.
I think the worst part is that we all thought it would be 5 seasons.
Sucks even more its only 8 eps.

Don't see why it would be cancelled if it was the highest rated show on Cinemax? Unless it was false reporting and they decided to finish it on season 4

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I mean, it's only 8 episodes and they have three bosses to beat: Dalton, Nazi leader and Proctor.

I don't think the writers view Proctor as a "boss" that needs to be beaten. I think they view him as a sort of quasi second protagonist.

Holy fuck, i just might've been spoiled big time. And i mean BIG FUCKING TIME :(
In one of the casting calls there is a major spoiler, but i'm not sure it's really true, it's too specific.

D:

Don't see why it would be cancelled if it was the highest rated show on Cinemax? Unless it was false reporting and they decided to finish it on season 4

It was a creative decision to end the show.

I don't think the writers view Proctor as a "boss" that needs to be beaten. I think they view him as a sort of quasi second protagonist.
Makes sense since Proctor gets a lot of character development. I don't think we're made to feel for the actual bosses like the way we feel for Proctor. I was actually legit pissed at Hood when he fucked with Proctor the night his mother died.

Rehashing what's been said already, but here's Tropper's tweets on making S4 the final season:
Hey #Fanshees. I will try to get online this afternoon to tell you what's really going on.

As we planned out season 4 of Banshee in the writers room, it became increasingly clear to me that the story was reaching its natural end.

I felt pressure to come up with a 5th season, but to me there is nothing more disappointing than a show that doesn't know when it's over.

We have a very passionate fan base, and if we handed them a contrived season 5, they would feel it. And we would feel it.

So we made the gut-wrenching decision to end our run rather than risk a sub par season 5. It hurts, but I know it's the right move.

We are shooting the insane finale right now, and I believe it wraps up the show in an emotionally satisfying way.

Also want to thank @GregYaitanes @adamtargum @MadsenOC and without whom there would be no Banshee.

I am grateful to our phenomenal cast and our fantastic fans. I say again, there is nothing like Banshee on television.
Anthony Starr said:
@Jtropper 100% JT.this season is the best yet- our little show is all grown up in season four. The best is yet to come guys...

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
my shows are all ending... Banshee, Strike Back, Hannibal... this world. this cruel cruel world.

- Lengthy interview with producer Adam Targum about S4
Buffa- One of the things you do with the show is push the limits of normal storytelling and keeping it fresh. Does Season 4 continue that?

Targum- I think Season 4 is going to be the best season yet! Season 3, we did our best to create the most action packed, over the top, heart pounding adventure that we possibly could. That was our goal. In the offseason, we realized we were never going to top that and there was no reason to try. In season 4, we took a different approach to the storytelling in trying to maximize these incredible characters. We found the perfect balance between action, character and story. This season is more serialized than ever with each episode fitting very snugly with the narrative. Instead of bringing these different antagonists for Lucas Hood to deal with, we wanted to used the existing characters and turn it all inward. The story lines intersect, thus making a more richer, more thought out story line.

Buffa- The move from Charlotte, North Carolina to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania must of been a little rough.

Targum- It was a culture shock in a lot of different ways. In the end, we found a good balance of the old and the new. There are things that will look different, and we explain very effectively why they do. It will look like a fresh show, but also feel like Banshee. In a pragmatic sense, we had to build new sets and bring in 75% of a brand new crew. What we found was that the new Pittsburgh crew came in with a lot of enthusiasm. A lot of the crew were fans of the show and went out of their way to get hired onto the set.

I walked around on set, feeling this energy from these 200 people who were fans of the show now working to make it new. When we wrapped the show and speeches were being made, there were a lot of tears and melancholy but also a huge sense of pride in what we had made. We screened the first episode and they were blown away, saying that this was the Banshee they always wanted to make.

Buffa- One of the things I am most looking forward to is more of the Bunker brothers, played by Tom Pelphrey and Chris Coy. The end of Season 3 really started something there.

Targum- Yes it did. Pelphrey has brought an incredible amount of heart and humanity to Kurt Bunker, the neo Nazi, which I will say is not an easy thing to do. When we came up with characters for season 3, what an interesting notion to have a reformed hate mongering neo nazi who has given up the hate and ideology but still has the exterior signs on his body. What better place for him to come to than Banshee. Tom is unique talent, and has so much range and soul. That's where we came up with the idea of his brother, played by Coy.

I've known Chris for 6 or 7 years. I cast him in a small film called Rogue River, a little horror film we shot in Oregon in -12 degree weather. Chris refused to get warm throughout the shoot because he knew the character didn't need to get warm. I knew he was the real deal right there. He's a true method actor who immerses himself in the role. We really advance that story line of the two brothers in this Neo-Nazi brotherhood. We explore the backstory of these two brothers. How Kurt was recruited by the brotherhood and how he brought his brother Calvin into it later on, leaving him with tremendous guilt. We throw real conflict between these two and from beginning to end, it's explosive.

Buffa- So now, you guys go into post-production?

Targum- From the moment we start shooting, the post-production team and editors start on the assembly. Half of the episodes have already gone through director cuts, producer cuts and gotten notes from the network. Sound is mixed. Things are cut together. Now the intense post-production begins. We also shot origins this year, and they focused heavily on Sugar Bates, played by Frankie Faison. Matty Rauch(aka Clay Burton), got to write and direct some of the origins. He gives 100% and it was gratifying to give him the room to explore the other creative needs he has.

Buffa- If you had to pump fans up with one line about Season 4, what would it be?

Targum- Whatever expectations you have, we are going to exceed them. We are going to shock, surprise and take the fans on an emotional roller coaster ride. I truly believe this will be the most memorable and mind blowing season yet. We are going out with a bang!
Much more via the link.

Decado

We will see. While s3 didn't reach the highs of s1, it was hella better than s2. Disappointed to hear s4 won't be as action packed as s3.

No more awful shaky cam like what was used in s3 pls.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Aw yeah.

Maybe one of these days I'll find the time to finish Strike Back so I can get on with Banshee's final season before it ends...

YESSSSSSS. Awesome trailer. Someone gif that amazing Hood car jump.
Did they show
dead Brock
?
Also, January 29th? That's later that usual. Wonder if they want to pair it with Quarry and waiting for it to finish post-production? But i would think they'd want to spread their shows over the year. Or they want to launch it with Banshee's final episode as a lead in? Would make sense.

But the end of January is so far away :(

Still looks good. A pity it's the last season but well 4 seasons is a pretty good run and I expect some great fight scenes so can't wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom