• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banshee - Season 3 - Fridays on Cinemax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

One of my friends put me onto this show this weekend and I just finished binge watching S1-3. Really fun watching the show and then reading the GAF comments after each episode.

Despite how good Season 3 was, I think I enjoyed Season 1 much more because it felt more focused and better planned, except I wish they had killed Rabbit in the first season vs letting him live and really serve no purpose in Season 2. One random thought when I first started watching the show was when I first saw the character Burton. I immediately thought of Wesley from Daredevil because of how "similar" the characters are in regards to bad ass assistants (Burton is definitely superior here). Surprise surprise when Wesley's actor shows up a few episodes later giving Deva drugs. Now I'm wondering if he was inspired by Burton in regards to how he played the character.

Season 2 was all over the place, particularly the Kai Proctor "take down" that went no where (that happened again in Season 3, couldn't they have least gotten him to trial?), Rabbit's return, and Emmet's death that served no purpose other than getting the character off the show (same Gordon's death in Season 3). Alex's death felt premature but I'm glad they didn't go with the storyline of him teaming with Rebecca.

Season 3 was definitely much better than 2 and there were some great fights with Chayton and Burton, but it still felt like it wasn't as focused as Season 1. IMO Chayton should have been the focus of the season and the military robbery should have been handled prior to the final showdown with Chayton. Like others in the thread, I didn't like them killing Siobhan the moment she knew Hood's secret, although I wasn't really attached to the character either. It just would have been better if Chayton had killed her without her knowing Hood's secret so her death would have been more of a surprise and less of a trope. Brock however was definitely an improvement overall though and I'm glad they gave up on making his character "by the book". I really hope this is the last season having to deal with Deva's "lashing out" stories.

Overall though I like the show and how they handle Hood character wise (only giving bits and pieces of his backstory but not everything). I just hope the entire back story is great vs something we can all guess from how the character behaves.

dead souls post if you are okay

As a regular of the Dollhouse threads when it was on TV, this was hilarious. Thanks.

Season 1 is now on Amazon Prime for streaming in case anyone wants to rewatch or tell some friends to check it out. S2/S3 are available for purchase or rent.

Photo of Ana Ayora's character with Burton from set of season 4.

CII2qQGWcAAQRdo.jpg

Frog-fu

Banned
I got into this show and caught up with it in like a week during my exile. Very addictive. Action sequences are really topnotch.

Job is my favourite anything atm.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Damn, this hurts. Luckily enough the showrunners knew it was going to be a short run, which is probably better given the nature of Banshee. Better this than turning into another Sons of Anarchy-like disaster.

Go out with a bang, I say.

Banshee Season 4 will be the last one. Damn. Losing both this and Strike Back really hurts.

http://tvline.com/2015/07/28/banshee-series-finale-ending-cinemax-cancelled/
Fuck.
I love this show. Going out on top in important, but i would love to see a couple more seasons of Banshee. I was just thinking about season 5 and ending the other day.
This sucks. First Boardwalk, now Banshee. I'm losing all of my favorite shows.
Rock 'n' Roll drama from Terrence Winter and Martin Scorsese is coming next year to HBO. Maybe even this year if we are lucky. So that should replace Boardwalk.
As for Banshee, Quarry from Greg Yaitanes is coming sometimes this year or 2016, and as Ratsky said it better be worth it.

Foggy

Bums me out, but it was inevitable and it would've been real difficult for them to keep the creative juices fresh for 5-7 seasons. I just hope they stick the landing.

Also, the Quarry books are amazing. Y'all should be very excited for it.

Arment

Has at least 2 good seasons left in it. Glad we're getting at least one more but damn, a show going down before its time for sure.

hokahey

Fuck.
I love this show. Going out on top in important, but i would love to see a couple more seasons of Banshee. I was just thinking about season 5 and ending the other day.

Rock 'n' Roll drama from Terrence Winter and Martin Scorsese is coming next year to HBO. Maybe even this year if we are lucky. So that should replace Boardwalk.
As for Banshee, Quarry from Greg Yaitanes is coming sometimes this year or 2016, and as Ratsky said it better be worth it.

Good looking out. I don't know anything about Quarry. I'll check it out.

Probably for the best that they end it tbh. You could feel them stretching the concept last season to the point that any other series would come back retooled as a soft reboot. Go out with a crazy final season.

Frog-fu

Banned
I'm relatively new to the show but I had an inkling as I caught up that the show wasn't going to do more than four seasons, which I am okay with.

Disappointing to hear, but I'm ok with it if they felt like it was time. Hope they give us one hell of a final season.

Sepinwall with a few quotes:
Though some early reports on the decision have used the term "canceled," a source close to "Banshee" production insists that everyone went into making season 4 knowing that the story of fake sheriff Lucas Hood would be coming to a close with it.

According to this source, "We have not been canceled, but on the creative side, we have decided to end the show, basically because we were done telling the story. As Cinemax's highest-rated show, no one was looking to cancel us. It was a creative decision. The premise was never meant to survive a long stretch. We all made the decision at the end of season 3 that we were going to make season 4 our grand finale."

Wiktor

Fuck. I was hoping for 5 seasons. 3rd one is some of the most fun I've ever had with tv show :(

Oh..well...at least there's Quarry. And with them ending both Strike Back and Banshee, Cinemax better greenlit that damn John Rain series. I need my tv action fix and Cinemax is pretty much the only places that does this right.

Fuck. I was hoping for 5 seasons. 3rd one is some of the most fun I've ever had with tv show :(

Oh..well...at least there's Quarry. And with them ending both Strike Back and Banshee, Cinemax better greenlit that damn John Rain series. I need my tv action fix and Cinemax is pretty much the only places that does this right.

Well I'm sure there will be several more season of Daredevil which is a pretty good brawler action

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I wish Tropper and Starr had never mentioned the 5 season plan. Even though the decision to end the show earlier was a creative one, I still can't help but feel like we're being shortchanged.

Wiktor

Well I'm sure there will be several more season of Daredevil which is a pretty good brawler action

Daredevil is nice, but it doesn't hold a handle to Banshee and Strike Back. It has very little creativity or variety in it's action. Plus in S1 they pretyt much ran out of action steam by the end of episode 3.
It's a fine show, but great action series it is not.

Wiktor

Mine was already there, bro.

On a more serious note, I'll miss Banshee but how many years can you really get out of the premise of the show? Four seasons sounds about right.

I was hoping for S4 to be about Hood vs Dalton and then S5 be epic and final Hood vs Proctor battle.

At the very least I hope we'll get the Hood vs Burton fight we've all been waiting for since S1. It needs to happen and it needs to be the best fight the show ever pulled off.

Decado

At the very least I hope we'll get the Hood vs Burton fight we've all been waiting for since S1. It needs to happen and it needs to be the best fight the show ever pulled off.
Disagree. Everything they've shown us points to that fight lasting seconds and seeing Hood get wrecked. They wont be able to make a believable close fight. Hood vs. Proctor seems to be the matchup.

Wiktor

Disagree. Everything they've shown us points to that fight lasting seconds and seeing Hood get wrecked. They wont be able to make a believable close fight.
Not even close. Hood can take Burton. He will look like utter mess after it, but if Nola got close then Hood can definitely take Burton down.

Not even close. Hood can take Burton. He will look like utter mess after it, but if Nola got close then Hood can definitely take Burton down.

Yeah, the Nola/Burton really highlighted that Burton wasn't as unbeatable as he initially appeared. She had him on the ropes multiple times and if it wasn't for the hood ornament, dude would have been dead.

Although I've seen some argue that he planned the fight to end that way, that seems a little out there for me. He didn't expect to take a goddamn axe to the shoulder, that's for damn sure. Dude has crazy stamina though and can take a helluva more damage than anyone else.

Wiktor

Yeah, the Nola/Burton really highlighted that Burton wasn't as unbeatable as he initially appeared. She had him on the ropes multiple times and if it wasn't for the hood ornament, dude would have been dead.

Although I've seen some argue that he planned the fight to end that way, that seems a little out there for me. He didn't expect to take a goddamn axe to the shoulder, that's for damn sure. Dude has crazy stamina though and can take a helluva more damage than anyone else.

Yes. And Banshee has been pretty realistic in it's fights. I mean..not entirely realistic of course, but there are no ridiculous strict power-levels there, where if somebody is weaker there's no way he can ever win without some upgrade. Luck and will still play a big part in the outcome. There's randomness to it that feels pretty real.

Plus Hood is extremely adaptable. He got completely destroyed when he fought Chayton the first time. The second time (in New Orlean's ring) he fought much smarter and the gap was a lot smaller. It still wasn;t enough, so for third bout he brought a knife and the gap was gone.

Hood isn't the strongest fighter on paper in Banshee world, but his relentness and adaptability means he has potential to take down anyone. Sometimes the chance is bigger, sometimes it's smaller, but he's never without any chance.

Wiktor

I would have liked 5 seasons but hey, if the can wrap it up nicely then it's fine by me.

I'm worried though..will they? I mean, it's only 8 episodes and they have three bosses to beat: Dalton, Nazi leader and Proctor. They better hit pedal to the metal from the first second and never look back.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm worried though..will they? I mean, it's only 8 episodes and they have three bosses to beat: Dalton, Nazi leader and Proctor. They better hit pedal to the metal from the first second and never look back.

Or they can go full bananas and off half of the cast in just a couple of episodes.

This is Banshee. It can happen.

Alternatively, they all join an Amish comune and live happy ever after.

Yes. And Banshee has been pretty realistic in it's fights. I mean..not entirely realistic of course, but there are no ridiculous strict power-levels there, where if somebody is weaker there's no way he can ever win without some upgrade. Luck and will still play a big part in the outcome. There's randomness to it that feels pretty real.

Plus Hood is extremely adaptable. He got completely destroyed when he fought Chayton the first time. The second time (in New Orlean's ring) he fought much smarter and the gap was a lot smaller. It still wasn;t enough, so for third bout he brought a knife and the gap was gone.

Hood isn't the strongest fighter on paper in Banshee world, but his relentness and adaptability means he has potential to take down anyone. Sometimes the chance is bigger, sometimes it's smaller, but he's never without any chance.

Agreed on all counts. I loved Hood's progression/development against Chayton. Really highlighted how relentless he is.

I still don't think we've seen everything he's capable though, but we saw a glimpse in New Orleans as he chased down Chayton. Man, that was such a great episode, might watch it again tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom