• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banshee - The 4th and final season - Fridays on Cinemax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saty

bflipoutrofhr.gif

They did it. They managed to eek out a worse finale than expected.
Wow. Talk about not delivering the goods with the two main showdowns. Pathetic. No action scene in this season is going to come close to rate in Banshee's top lists. Amazing how they royally screwed this.

I like how all this time the police actually had a piece of information that raises doubts if Rebeca was killed by the same serial killer but it was never shared with the viewers and it was never discussed between the agents and officers. Laughable. and it's not like this was needed to spot Lillith lying about Rebeca being Bode's kill.
Didn't get a fleshed out motivation by Burton.
That scene at the start of the season where Proctor is turning Rebeca's room upside down in search of something amounted to nothing but senseless red herring.
Hey, Brock, how about bringing cop alive and make the biggest drug bust ever and propel your career?
'Good bye, Ana' - ..Go on, Carrie. The perfect setup. Go on. 'Good bye, *Hood's real name*'. God DAMNIT.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Speaking of Quarry, it will be out in Fall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_8lRZCrO4s
Shame. Hoped they will squeeze it in summer. Altough I guess now CInemax is all about one show per quarter.

Outcast is their summer show. With The Knick in limbo, Quarry is all they have left for the fall. (and unless they jump on board another international show as co-producers like they did with Strike Back and Hunted, they won't have anything for next winter/spring either.)

The season should have had the Neo-Nazis front and center as antagonists. They didn't even get a cool fight scene really, it just boiled down to a fight between two brothers. Even the Proctor stuff was diffused because of random member who has risen high in government and just tells them to stop. Kinda lame.

Yeah, they spent all season building up the neo nazis as a huge threat only to have the senator guy come in and clip their wings just when shit is about to get real. Really lame way for them to go out.

'Good bye, Ana' - ..Go on, Carrie. The perfect setup. Go on. 'Good bye, *Hood's real name*'. God DAMNIT.

That wouldn't have made any sense.

styl3s

bflipoutrofhr.gif

Wow. Talk about not delivering the goods with the two main showdowns. Pathetic. No action scene in this season is going to come close to rate in Banshee's top lists. Amazing how they royally screwed this.

I like how all this time the police actually had a piece of information that raises doubts if Rebeca was killed by the same serial killer but it was never shared with the viewers and it was never discussed between the agents and officers. Laughable. and it's not like this was needed to spot Lillith lying about Rebeca being Bode's kill.
That scene at the start of the season where Proctor is turning Rebeca's room upside down in search of something amounted to nothing but senseless red herring.
Hey, Brock, how about bringing cop alive and make the biggest drug bust ever and propel your career?
Personally i thought the Nazi brother fight was pretty damn good but the bowtieterminator vs hood was the biggest letdown since
Locke/Jack
in Lost. Yeah, Lost is old but i still respect spoilers.

rtcn63

It was... okay. The not mentioning the lunar cycle thing was probably because they couldn't really trust anyone, even most of the other police. Especially not Hood since he was a suspect. But yeah, it does sort of come out of nowhere.

Brock's motivations for not taking Proctor/Cartel guy in was set up at the beginning of the season (series). He'd become disenfranchised with the judicial system, and probably thought even with all the evidence, Proctor and the Cartel guy would lawyer their way out.

Burton's disliked Rebecca for awhile, unless I'm misremembering last season. He knows Proctor has a weak spot for her and well there's the side businesses. He knows she'd fuck Proctor over and take his place if she could.

The montage at the end was cliched but still nice. Everyone got their moment to say goodbye. That's pretty much the only good thing I can say about this episode.

The Hood vs Burton fight was pathetic. Way to let down the fans who have been anticipating it for four full years now :|. And you don't even properly explain why Burton killed Rebecca? "He doesn't see you but I see you" What the fuck is that?! How do you rush by that crucial bit of story that solves the entire mystery of your season? The satanist killer being a red herring is infuriating in retrospect. What a poor choice to write that story into the limited number of episodes they had to close the story.

If budget was such a big problem, they should have cut it down to maybe 6 episodes (to give each episode more of a budget) and then skipped the useless serial killer story, Dushku's wasted role, the cartel business and even the neo nazi stuff. Just make it about Hood and co. versus Procter in an all out war for Banshee. Kill off characters along the way to make the story meaningful... and save your budget.

I don't want to be disappointed but I can't help it. This used to be one of the most fun shows on TV and they couldn't stick the landing. Heck they ended up miles away from the runway :(

bitbydeath

Gold Member

It was a bit too 'happy' ending for my tastes but otherwise wasn't 'How I met your mother' bad.
Budget cuts looks to be a huge reason the season went the way it had.

I like how all this time the police actually had a piece of information that raises doubts if Rebeca was killed by the same serial killer but it was never shared with the viewers and it was never discussed between the agents and officers.

What information was this?

Burton said to Proctor Rebecca was ruining the business and he was too close to her to see it.

He was looking for a clue as to who killed her, this is how I had always taken this scene.

Would never work, Proctor is too powerful and they have tried this a million times before.

chadskin

Starr has taken plenty of knocks over three seasons of Banshee, one of television's most brutal shows, which thinks nothing of ending a grisly fight with a head being removed from a body, spinal cord still twitching.

He's needed stitches and surgery after the more extreme stuff that's given the cult show a rabid fan base in America, where it airs on Cinemax, and here at home on SoHo.

But no more. For the show's fourth and final series, Starr is taking a step back from the brawling to enjoy a season he says is much "tamer".

"I didn't have to do much action, which I asked for," Starr tells TimeOut ahead of its debut this weekend.

"I have a tendency to go, 'She'll be right', with that Kiwi attitude, but at the end of season three I was like, 'Ooh, she's not right'. It's just the attrition rate of being ground out, year-in, year-out."
Banshee's demanding physicality, plus its schedule, has taken its toll on Starr. His face has been cut open, his wrist has been operated on and he has a list of minor niggles from the show's fight sequences.

Starr wakes up around 4am on Monday, his working week on the Pittsburgh set finishing sometime on Saturday morning. He does that for six months. "It's just insane. Your circadian rhythm gets out of adjustment. You're so burnt out and working on autopilot.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11613973

Guess that explains a few things about S4, perhaps more so than the cited lack of budget.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11613973

Guess that explains a few things about S4, perhaps more so than the cited lack of budget.

That's a bummer, but I can understand why he would want to take things easy this year if the physicality of the role was taking a toll on his body. Still, they could have found a way to maintain the level of action that fans were used to (more focus on Carrie and Job, give Burton and Bunker expanded roles, etc).

Foggy

Just finished it, bittersweet since this was a monumentally flawed season. I'll still be rewatching this show and giving out high recommendations. The highs were just about as high as anything out there and they were truly singular. Season 3 will always be special. Adios Banshee.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really sad to see the show end even if this was the weakest season, the finale was good and really emotional and I'm glad they got to end the story properly unlike many good shows.

Yeah, they spent all season building up the neo nazis as a huge threat only to have the senator guy come in and clip their wings just when shit is about to get real. Really lame way for them to go out.

Let's be honest. It wasn't going to be that much of a fight. It was Burton and Proctor. The neo-Nazis were clearly outmatched.

holygeesus

Banned
Burton said to Proctor Rebecca was ruining the business and he was too close to her to see it.

This is such a cop-out plot contrivance though - Proctor's business was flourishing. All Burton had to do was concentrate his efforts on the real problem i.e. Carrie. That would have made for a more interesting confrontation than what we got at least, which felt completely out of character.

BSherrod

The last fight was pretty disappointing, but the whole of the series made up for the so-so finale. Incredible series. One of my all time favorites and the one I'll be begging people to watch for years to come.

Theorry

How did Proctor get home? lol.
Overall not a very good season compared to the other ones. Felt rushed to give everything closure in 8 episodes with all the characters.

Sane_Man

Other than clash of the Nazi brothers, the episode felt underwhelming.

I was hoping they'd mirror last season and have Hood 180 as he was heading out of town for a final showdown with Kai. But they'd basically fizzled out that entire conflict over this shitty season, so no surprises that went nowhere.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Sad finale for a great series. You could probably cut this season into a 2 hour movie and it would end up pretty damn good.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I thought the finale was one of the better episodes of the season but not really great. I'm glad we got a happy ending because it seems like so many shows now end on a sad note.

I'm also glad they didn't reveal Hood's real name.

I wouldn't mind them bringing the show back in a few years, honestly. I know that rarely happens but it would be nice.

I thought the finale was one of the better episodes of the season but not really great. I'm glad we got a happy ending because it seems like so many shows now end on a sad note.

I'm also glad they didn't reveal Hood's real name.

I wouldn't mind them bringing the show back in a few years, honestly. I know that rarely happens but it would be nice.

They did reveal Hood's real name. It was in the folder at the end and Carrie called him by his name when she was saying goodbye.

Quidam

They did reveal Hood's real name. It was in the folder at the end and Carrie called him by his name when she was saying goodbye.

Pretty sure when he was arrested (and they showed flashbacks to this in season 3), they never determined his real name?

So chances are whatever was in that folder was just an alias, unless I've missed something?

Pretty sure when he was arrested (and they showed flashbacks to this in season 3), they never determined his real name?

So chances are whatever was in that folder was just an alias, unless I've missed something?

Carrie called him Gary when she said goodbye at the end and that was also the name in the folder.

Quidam

Carrie called him Gary when she said goodbye at the end and that was also the name in the folder.

Here's the clearest version I could find. If you zoom in, it definitely says John Smith (at a few different parts of the report).

Plus, I'm pretty sure Carrie said "Carrie" not "Gary" at the end, as a way of correcting Hood when he called her Ana.

Once again though, not 100% sure on any of this, so I'm sure someone else will let me know if I'm way off here.

Here's the clearest version I could find. If you zoom in, it definitely says John Smith (at a few different parts of the report).

Plus, I'm pretty sure Carrie said "Carrie" not "Gary" at the end, as a way of correcting Hood when he called her Ana.

Once again though, not 100% sure on any of this, so I'm sure someone else will let me know if I'm way off here.

I think you are right. I just rewatched that part and Carrie does say "it's Carrie". Sounded like Gary when I watched it on tv.

Saty

That wouldn't have made any sense.

How would that not make sense? They are saying their goodbyes. Hood bids Carrie 'goodbye Ana' so the thing that makes most sense is her saying something along the lines of 'Take care, *Joseph*' or whatever parting that included Hood's real name. You even have posters above me mishearing Carrie's correction and thinking she said his name.

He was looking for a clue as to who killed her, this is how I had always taken this scene.
That's a tougher interpretation than of looking for something. Even if i accept it we're sill left with a rushed 'final reveal' they made little effort to explain. It was a 'shocking twist' for the sake of having it more than anything else - and they still fluffed the fight that what the purpose of it all.

Would never work, Proctor is too powerful and they have tried this a million times before.
They have Proctor meeting a known Carter criminal with a truckload of drugs next to them. No, Proctor can't get away with it this time.

Brock's motivations for not taking Proctor/Cartel guy in was set up at the beginning of the season (series). He'd become disenfranchised with the judicial system, and probably thought even with all the evidence, Proctor and the Cartel guy would lawyer their way out.
Because the person that's controlling said system is the mayor Proctor himself...Brock had the chance to rid Banshee this menace. No way out this time. I don't even want to get into the absurdity of Proctor being Mayor and continuing doing his stuff but no it goes unnoticed by reporters. Any fool with a camera can overlook Proctor's (the mayor's) house and see what's going on. Carrie could have taken pictures of the meet with the cartel and posted it and you can bet Proctor wouldn't have stayed in charge. Or like i said Brock could have raided the meet.

I don't want to get into it because i understood it's not something i should expect from Banshee. I didn't stick with it for it's great writing, tight plotting, deep characters or dialogs. I expected and wanted my dose of enjoyable action and fight scenes, which S4 didn't deliver.
It's this change of tone and focus in the final season that is disappointing and perplexing. For some reason they thought they can hang as a show that's more than those action scenes. That wasn't what brought them to the dance.

Alpende

Also, Burton and Rebecca seemed to be buddies in past seasons, I didn't buy Burton's turn on her that much.

After it was revealed he was the killer it made me think of that he did kind of always showed signs of distrust / resentment toward Rebecca.

Anyway, it was a happy season finale and I'm fine with that. Good ending to the series. Even though season 4 was a bit disappointing I still liked the 8 episodes. Plus, Brock using a rocketlauncher was great!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
How would that not make sense? They are saying their goodbyes. Hood bids Carrie 'goodbye Ana' so the thing that makes most sense is her saying something along the lines of 'Take care, *Joseph*' or whatever parting that included Hood's real name. You even have posters above me mishearing Carrie's correction and thinking she said his name.

Hood is always living in the past - always thinking about Rabbit and the heist; the Albino and his time in prison; Siobahn's death; I mean, he's barely even been present this season, so it made total sense for him to call Carrie 'Ana'.

But Carrie isn't Ana anymore. She's Carrie. Ana already said goodbye to the real Hood a long time ago.

Audioboxer

Safe, but fairly good send off. Banshee shall be remembered for the sum of it's parts and boy was it fucking amazing.

Shame about the budget. I think it could have done a 5th season easily. 4 felt rushed and muddled, but it was still a good watch.

All the sads now it's gone. RIP Job (as in not seeing the character on my TV anymore).

mekes

I didn't know it was going to be the last one. I thought there was going to be 10 episodes for some reason. When Bunker had his fight it dawned on me that everything was being wrapped up. I'll really miss the show, it was a fun ride. Rapidly running out of either fun or interesting shows to watch, another one has gone without anything new coming up to take its place.

Pretty much just GOT and Fargo for me now.

Audioboxer

I didn't know it was going to be the last one. I thought there was going to be 10 episodes for some reason. When Bunker had his fight it dawned on me that everything was being wrapped up. I'll really miss the show, it was a fun ride. Rapidly running out of either fun or interesting shows to watch, another one has gone without anything new coming up to take its place.

Pretty much just GOT and Fargo for me now.

I've yet to start Fargo, it's up next. Quite excited as heard good things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom