• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banshee - The 4th and final season - Fridays on Cinemax

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Which is better, this or strike back? I havent watched any of them and know nothing about them other than occasional GAF posts saying action is good.

KonradLaw

Which is better, this or strike back? I havent watched any of them and know nothing about them other than occasional GAF posts saying action is good.

This. Denser, heavier and with more complex characters and plots. That said, Strike Back is also pure awesomeness. Those two are unbeatable when it comes to action shows on TV.

Last season hit Hood really fucking HARD. Dude looks like dog shit. Burton's "you don't want me to come back here" line was cold. Hold the fucking phone is Proctor the
Mayor of Banshee
?

Banshee in my opinion is extremely uneven character/drama wise(season 2 is terrible) though it can be really good. But it has amazing personal hand to hand action scenes, among other good set pieces. Strike Back is consistently fantastic with gun combat and vehicular action. Very shallow character wise, but every episode is a mini action movie. Both are worth watching, both excel in different ways, though both have weaknesses.

Shame on you. Multitasking for the first watch of a good tv show is bad form.
I am a very very busy person. I was sitting there trying to edit pictures and punch in metadata for an event I photographed on top of gathering news for work cause the idiot that's supposed to be doing it went to Japan for almost three weeks for vacations. I want to crazed neo Nazi stab that dude.

DBT85

I am a very very busy person. I was sitting there trying to edit pictures and punch in metadata for an event I photographed on top of gathering news for work cause the idiot that's supposed to be doing it went to Japan for almost three weeks for vacations. I want to crazed neo Nazi stab that dude.

Ha, I feel your pain. Fortunately most of the things I have to do prevent me from watching at the same time, so I have no choice but to focus entirely on my shows, which I like!

B3N1

I can't believe how much I waited for this when Season 3 ended and it was such a letdown for me.

Both killing off a series regular and skipping time felt very cheap to me. It could pay off in the long run, but I'm so afraid it won't. I don't even know if we were shown before how the half-handed guy got his hand cut off. Is there something online where one could catch up on what happened to the few who survived the last season(s)?

I still love their unique style of editing. These parallel audio-video splits are so good, when the speech and music are already on the next scene but they still show the cuts leading up to it.

I wanted him to keep his grizzly man look. Would be hilarious showing him getting all these hot women while looking like that.

He looked weird , reminded me of the Bastard Executioner guy. It was still better than the Jason Bateman hair though.

This episode also felt different to me. Like Hood won't be banging chicks all around in the following 7 episodes kind of different.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Random thoughts:

Oh wow, a 2 year time jump!? That's a bold move...

Really not liking the Rebecca development. I mean, I always expected either A: her to kill Proctor or B: Proctor to kill her, but she wasn't just some random who could be killed off like that. Her arc was one of the most interesting ones the show and it won't be satisfying - at all - if it turns out that she was killed by any old serial killer. It's obvious that there's more to the story, and I'm sure we'll see the lead up to all of this via flashbacks, but if her fall doesn't happen by the hands of either Proctor or Burton I'll be super disappointed.

Billy Raven written onto the show so he could have a brief but ultimately unimportant interaction with Chayton and then was immediately written off as soon as they didn't "need" him anymore. C'mon. :p

Odds on Deva being targeted by the serial killer?

I can't believe they killed Dalton already! Last year some people were speculating that he would be the big bad of season 4 and yet they killed him off in a 3 minute scene in a flashback! On the one hand that's kind of awesome, subverting out expectations like that, and it was a great sequence, but on the other, it really did seem like there was more to his story than that, what with his history with Hood and all. But again, like with Rebecca, maybe we'll see more of him in the flashbacks (I can't imagine we won't get a Job flashback at some point with Dalton in it).

All in all, a pretty solid set up for the season. I'm not sure about some of the developments (the serial killer storyline, Rebecca being dead, Job missing for 2 years.) but a lot of that will depend on how it all plays out. I have faith that everything will come together nicely~

I hereby declare a moratorium on shots of Rebecca's dead body however.

They went a little overboard on that, yeah.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Loved it, and I'm so sad that this is the final season. I was hoping Rebecca would get naked at some point this season but...

2975732-not+like+this+gif.gif

TripOpt55

Hmmmm... don't like the way they killed Rebecca here. I know we'll see more of her with flashbacks, but this seems an odd choice. Not sure about the time jump either. I often enjoy non-linear storytelling like this, but I guess I'm just not sure on this one yet. I will just wait and see how things go though before judging. I still enjoyed watching and it is good to have the show back on, but it certainly left me pondering some of the directions they took here.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Hmmmm... don't like the way they killed Rebecca here. I know we'll see more of her with flashbacks, but this seems an odd choice. Not sure about the time jump either. I often enjoy non-linear storytelling like this, but I guess I'm just not sure on this one yet. I will just wait and see how things go though before judging. I still enjoyed watching and it is good to have the show back on, but it certainly left me pondering some of the directions they took here.

Some of the things about this season are actually reminding me of Boardwalk Empire's final season, and not necessarily in a good way - only 8 episodes, one of the main people behind the show itching to move on to another project, a time jump, flashbacks, off screen character deaths, etc.

Let's hope this final season doesn't end up feeling as rushed as Boardwalk Empire's did...

and that Quarry turns out better than Vinyl~

DBT85

I must be the only one not second guessing a team that have entertained me thoroughly for 3 seasons after 1/8 th of the last season has aired.

UrbanRats

The amount of times they cut to her mangled body was borderline ridiculous.

Flashbacks in general, were ridiculous in this ep.

Scene of Bunker banging a woman (with shot of her face) --> they later show the same woman... and feel the need to cut away to a flashback of the sex scene, reminding you of the obvious.

I don't mind flashbacks to past seasons, since years have passed for most viewers (not everybody will do a recap marathon) but flashbacks to the same episode are silly.

Odds on Deva being targeted by the serial killer?

Deva is the killer.

Saty

Season's structure is definitely shaped by it being the last. You could easily have seen S4 end with that Danton showdown and Hood retiring.
Not sure it's for the worst, though. Danton being a dead-end would be a pretty anti-climactic ending for the season and Hood and others having to deal with side-plots or regular Sheriff stuff or another big bad shoe-horned in when you have the pressing matter of finding Job would be lame.

1. Job is totally alive, right? Too much insistence he's dead. Lets see if they can surprise me and keep him dead.
2. Proctor wrecking Rebecca's room signals that he had reasons to kill her. She was probably hanging something over him, which she hid someplace.

holygeesus

Banned
I could possibly have bought Proctor killing her, but if she's the third victim killed in a familiar way, I can't really see it being him...or indeed any other established character. It's going to be someone new surely?

Quidam

Is it just me who suspects the 'serial killer' angle is a red herring entirely?

Perhaps whoever killed Rebecca planned and carried out the first two murders specifically to set up this idea of a serial killer on the loose, so that when they took out their one and only real target (Rebecca) it would distract attention?

Theorry

Totally forgot. Watching now. But i think i need to watch the final episode from last season again i think. Forgot alot.

Siegcram

Attacker looked fairly slim in that brief shot. Of course it's unreliable speculating from that with stunt doubles and whatnot, but it could even be a woman.

All the cross incisions have me thinking either an Amish or someone trying to frame the Amish/Proctor. It would be their last chance to have a proper Amish antagonist.

[Fugo]

I think Burton killed Rebecca, as a "punishment" for finding Hood. Her reaction points up to that. And Burton never liked the influence she had on Proctor

holygeesus

Banned
[Fugo];200032012 said:
I think Burton killed Rebecca, as a "punishment" for finding Hood. Her reaction points up to that. And Burton never liked the influence she had on Proctor

Why did he kill the other two?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
When the glasses come off you know shit's about to get bloody, love Burton.

I'm both sad and pissed that the writers did not have Rebecca and Proctor fuck. They were slowly making their relationship more incest-y as time went on, but did not fully commit to it.

They should have.

DBT85

I'm both sad and pissed that the writers did not have Rebecca and Proctor fuck. They were slowly making their relationship more incest-y as time went on, but did not fully commit to it.

They should have.

We didn't see them fuck, but we did see her wake up naked next to him and I'm sure them taking his kit off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom