• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barrett and Jessie are the worst 2 characters in the whole of FF franchise

OOGABOOGA

Banned
One is an airhead, even Khimari an animal is smarter than him.

The other is a desperate rapist
EVY53YtUMAUFKlV.jpg
Square did us a favour by offing her, Karma for Cloud.

FF7 fans have the audacity to complain about lightning and Tidus when they have been playing a rapist and a manchild all along...
I guess I'm in the minority because I always felt that Tidus was a great protagonist. I enjoyed the character's growth over the course of the game, I enjoyed him narrating his adventures across a land he was unfamiliar with like listening to a story over a bonfire, and I enjoyed him eventually owning up to and accepting his fate at the end. Yes, he had a few dumb anime protagonist moments and a fake laugh(meant to cheer up a romantic interest) that became a meme, but he was still grounded enough in his own way(including father issues/absent father) to somewhat remind you of the older FF protagonists, yet at the same time he dared to stay positive throughout most of his situation whereas most of the other FF protagonists couldn't and/or sulked through it.

maxresdefault.jpg

How many other FF protagonists would keep strong and stay positive after being told they were just a manifested dream and that they're destined to die extremely soon? Definitely not Cloud. Tidus reasonably became angry and sad at first, but then decided to look on the bright side and stay as that positive anchor to his team during his time left.

There still aren't that many protagonists quite like Tidus. Usually when people create a game with a positive protagonist, they make them too cocky like Dante or Bayonetta or give them too much of a clean backstory to make them really heroic. Tidus just seemed like a good guy just doing his best to keep his head up no matter what came his way.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Your mistake is thinking that jesse is the one you meet in that shit remake and not the inoffensive one in the vanilla game.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I guess I'm in the minority because I always felt that Tidus was a great protagonist. I enjoyed the character's growth over the course of the game, I enjoyed him narrating his adventures across a land he was unfamiliar with like listening to a story over a bonfire, and I enjoyed him eventually owning up to and accepting his fate at the end. Yes, he had a few dumb anime protagonist moments and a fake laugh(meant to cheer up a romantic interest) that became a meme, but he was still grounded enough in his own way(including father issues/absent father) to somewhat remind you of the older FF protagonists, yet at the same time he dared to stay positive throughout most of his situation whereas most of the other FF protagonists couldn't and/or sulked through it.

maxresdefault.jpg

How many other FF protagonists would keep strong and stay positive after being told they were just a manifested dream and that they're destined to die extremely soon? Definitely not Cloud. Tidus reasonably became angry and sad at first, but then decided to look on the bright side and stay as that positive anchor to his team during his time left.

There still aren't that many protagonists quite like Tidus. Usually when people create a game with a positive protagonist, they make them too cocky like Dante or Bayonetta or give them too much of a clean backstory to make them really heroic. Tidus just seemed like a good guy just doing his best to keep his head up no matter what came his way.
Season 5 Hug GIF by The Office

When playing first time as a teen, I loved the game and the whole cast. Especially Tidus.
Then growing up, I heard that a lot of people dislike him.
I replayed it last year and damn ! This game is still amazing and the cast incredible. Best party of the FF (from those I have played) for me. Tidus is amazing.
I really enjoyed his role in story : an outsider that knows nothing about Spira leading him questioning every aspects the people of Spira never did because they grew up with them.

Rac3r

One is an airhead, even Khimari an animal is smarter than him.

The other is a desperate rapist
EVY53YtUMAUFKlV.jpg
Square did us a favour by offing her, Karma for Cloud.

I thought Jessie felt more complex in FF7R. Jessie blames Shinra for her father's death and joins Avalanche for revenge. She's motivated by what happened to her dad, but clearly feels guilty about the destruction Avalanche has caused (she blames herself for what happened at the first reactor even though it wasn't her fault). I think her flirty behavior is just a way to cover up or distract from her own internal conflicts (coping mechanism?) . Obviously it's a little exaggerated in the game but I've met people with similar personalities.

Barrett is a just a caricature, I'll give you that. But I don't mind him.

Also that pic is visual ASMR.

Pallas

I actually like how they did Jesse, Biggs and Wedge in the remake. Jesse wasn’t desperate either, she came off as naturally flirtatious and had a lot of development compare in the original game.

Barrett is a natural badass, I love his interactions with his daughter Marlene in the remake, she was freaking adorable. Lol

Roxkis_ii

I remember beating the FF7 remake, but I must have missed the part where Jessie raped someone.

Is being flirtatious really the equivalent to rape? Is Twitter bleeding into neogaf now?

Reactions: Isa
Season 5 Hug GIF by The Office

When playing first time as a teen, I loved the game and the whole cast. Especially Tidus.
Then growing up, I heard that a lot of people dislike him.
I replayed it last year and damn ! This game is still amazing and the cast incredible. Best party of the FF (from those I have played) for me. Tidus is amazing.
I really enjoyed his role in story : an outsider that knows nothing about Spira leading him questioning every aspects the people of Spira never did because they grew up with them.
Very true. I think one of the big issues people had was that we never get to see Tidus become that mature seasoned guy that people wanted to see until near the very end of the game, and by then it was too late. The guy was only 17/18 years old and was suddenly put into a world he knew nothing about, going through a dire situation. He's being told that some huge thing just exists and has to exist as this force of nature that randomly kills thousands of people. He's being told that a summoner has to send those same dead people to the afterlife and then die herself at the end of her journey so that a loop can repeat. He's being told about this grand religion around it that doesn't add up at all. It all looks like madness from the outside in.

kunonabi

They weren't even the worst characters in FFVII. Only played a bit of the "remake' and they were ok if a little blah.

rofif

Banned
Barret was very charismatic character. I enjoyed his performance and role in the story. No issues here.
Jessie is also so alive and ... energetic. She is on my of fav characters in the game! I love that she has a crush on Cloud... Shem you can't bang ! :lollipop_grimacing:
Maybe if I was a teenager I would find her too "girly" and annoying but now I find her energy and crush on Cloud really endearing

Jessie 😍

11VsXGn.jpg

x1e7wBe.jpg

mUHnuZp.jpg

Top Bottom