• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barrett and Jessie are the worst 2 characters in the whole of FF franchise

ManaByte

Gold Member
I like how after 25 years many have memory-holed Barret's US translation in 1997. No way this would've passed in the remake:

ff7getinfools15sk9.jpg

ff7fuckinheadmusaa.jpg

ff7rhythmo1s6l.jpg

ff7sidownqzsz0.jpg

ff7skinnyassaast0.jpg

ff7spikeyassgusjr.jpg

ff7swearing09s03.jpg

ff7vermincgsmt.jpg

ff7-haeeyzssqk.jpg

ff7retardevx5e.jpg

Uc3bg3F.jpg

burcJBI.jpg

begotten

I like how after 25 years many have memory-holed Barret's US translation in 1997. No way this would've passed in the remake

We can rule out Cid and the original dialogue between he and his partner being honored.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Fbh

Nah. Besides they are side characters.
Meanwhile you have characters like Vann which actively ruin their games

I guess I'm in the minority because I always felt that Tidus was a great protagonist. I enjoyed the character's growth over the course of the game, I enjoyed him narrating his adventures across a land he was unfamiliar with like listening to a story over a bonfire, and I enjoyed him eventually owning up to and accepting his fate at the end. Yes, he had a few dumb anime protagonist moments and a fake laugh(meant to cheer up a romantic interest) that became a meme, but he was still grounded enough in his own way(including father issues/absent father) to somewhat remind you of the older FF protagonists, yet at the same time he dared to stay positive throughout most of his situation whereas most of the other FF protagonists couldn't and/or sulked through it.

maxresdefault.jpg

How many other FF protagonists would keep strong and stay positive after being told they were just a manifested dream and that they're destined to die extremely soon? Definitely not Cloud. Tidus reasonably became angry and sad at first, but then decided to look on the bright side and stay as that positive anchor to his team during his time left.

There still aren't that many protagonists quite like Tidus. Usually when people create a game with a positive protagonist, they make them too cocky like Dante or Bayonetta or give them too much of a clean backstory to make them really heroic. Tidus just seemed like a good guy just doing his best to keep his head up no matter what came his way.

I think Tidus is a good example of how bad design can affect the perception of a character.
I honestly think he'd be better liked (or at least not actively disliked) if he didn't look like Meg Ryan in a stupid costume

Fuz

Banned
Barret was very charismatic character. I enjoyed his performance and role in the story. No issues here.
Jessie is also so alive and ... energetic. She is on my of fav characters in the game! I love that she has a crush on Cloud... Shem you can't bang ! :lollipop_grimacing:
Maybe if I was a teenager I would find her too "girly" and annoying but now I find her energy and crush on Cloud really endearing

Jessie 😍

11VsXGn.jpg

x1e7wBe.jpg

mUHnuZp.jpg
Cloudio.jpg

Isa

I love Jessie in FFVII Remake. Hell most of the characters. Tidus I hated and now with more reason and maturity I just dislike him. I have no daddy issues(my family is stable and my dad is a great father and role model) so that was an immediate turn-off for me and my sister back then. Then his whiney ass attitude was just so fuckin' annoying. I don't make friends or hang out with people like that in my free time and certainly wouldn't in some fantasy world. I guess he grows later on but I never go stomach him enough to find out. I always drop the game every time over the years when I'd convince myself to finally give the game another chance. I like most of the main party though, at least design wise.

For me it just cements how far FF has fallen in relevance for me personally, I used to think it was the pinnacle of Jrpgs, but now my attention is focused elsewhere. But that's due to a culmination of factors, not just iffy character design. If anything I'm happy that other franchises and developers have managed to bring some serious quality and heat, I just wish Final Fantasy didn't have to suffer as well. All my own personal opinion of course. And Jesus, just the though of Vaan or whatever that insufferable prick's name was...

OOGABOOGA

Banned
So? It's also a video game, and its story doesn't revolve around you.
And how did you come up with this conclusion exactly!! This sounds completely baseless. It's obvious Cloud was uncomfortable the whole time and he even told her to stop being desperate and pathetic. If a guy did the same thing to a girl kissed and touched her body without her consent he would be disowned, jailed and his life would be fxxked. I bet Cloud threw a party after the game ended just to celebrate getting rid of the rapist.

Last edited:

begotten

It's obvious Cloud was uncomfortable the whole time and he even told her to stop being desperate and pathetic. If a guy did the same thing to a girl kissed and touched her body without her consent he would be disowned, jailed and his life would be fxxked. I bet Cloud threw a party after the game ended just to celebrate getting rid of the rapist.

Holy shit when was the last time you went outside?

Knightime_X

And how did you come up with this conclusion exactly!! This sounds completely baseless. It's obvious Cloud was uncomfortable the whole time and he even told her to stop being desperate and pathetic. If a guy did the same thing to a girl kissed and touched her body without her consent he would be disowned, jailed and his life would be fxxked. I bet Cloud threw a party after the game ended just to celebrate getting rid of the rapist.
You're implying these kind of people don't exist.
Rapist? really?
Stay away from that other reeeeeetarded site as well as sjw twitter.
It's ruining and corrupting you.

Thabass

I guess I'm in the minority because I always felt that Tidus was a great protagonist. I enjoyed the character's growth over the course of the game, I enjoyed him narrating his adventures across a land he was unfamiliar with like listening to a story over a bonfire, and I enjoyed him eventually owning up to and accepting his fate at the end. Yes, he had a few dumb anime protagonist moments and a fake laugh(meant to cheer up a romantic interest) that became a meme, but he was still grounded enough in his own way(including father issues/absent father) to somewhat remind you of the older FF protagonists, yet at the same time he dared to stay positive throughout most of his situation whereas most of the other FF protagonists couldn't and/or sulked through it.

maxresdefault.jpg

How many other FF protagonists would keep strong and stay positive after being told they were just a manifested dream and that they're destined to die extremely soon? Definitely not Cloud. Tidus reasonably became angry and sad at first, but then decided to look on the bright side and stay as that positive anchor to his team during his time left.

There still aren't that many protagonists quite like Tidus. Usually when people create a game with a positive protagonist, they make them too cocky like Dante or Bayonetta or give them too much of a clean backstory to make them really heroic. Tidus just seemed like a good guy just doing his best to keep his head up no matter what came his way.
That's because he is a good protagonist. He's just whiney, but then sees the resolve of his compatriots and then finds the strength to save the world all the while sacrificing himself.

Dude gets shit on for having daddy issues (and that's fair), but his growth throughout the game is great and he at least has a reason to hate his father.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Nah. Besides they are side characters.
Meanwhile you have characters like Vann which actively ruin their games

I think Tidus is a good example of how bad design can affect the perception of a character.
I honestly think he'd be better liked (or at least not actively disliked) if he didn't look like Meg Ryan in a stupid costume
His voice actor didn't help.

Reactions: Fbh

Lethal01

Imagine thinking a girl who wants to have consensual sex with you is a rapist. Surely you jest?

Jessie does actually kiss Cloud after being verbally asked to back off.
She's not some rapist but she be likely to get punched in the face if she were a dude an absolute creep.

I love her though. She and Barret and great, doing bad things does not make you a bad character.

Last edited:

OOGABOOGA

Banned
OP might just find a girl showing romantic affection toward a guy to be triggering as fuck.
Flew right over your head. He has rejected her multiple times already and yet she kept doing the same old shit over and over again. just until what point It's still showing affection? This is basically stalking and harassment at this point 👉. If a guy did this he would be called a "creep" but apparently just cus it's a pretty girl, then it's okey??

Last edited:

OOGABOOGA

Banned
You're implying these kind of people don't exist.
Rapist? really?
Stay away from that other reeeeeetarded site as well as sjw twitter.
It's ruining and corrupting you.
I don't use twitter... you don't need to be sjw or use twitter to have common sense.

Last edited:
That did have a big factor. I think they showed that they could have given him a different design and slightly different hairstyle with Shuyin in FFX-2.

d51di6v-5e5f39b7-5a66-4811-904f-2b784e03350f.jpg
tid-shuyin.jpg

However the big difference with using Shuyin's design, which I think they probably noticed, was that it shows no signs of him being a carefree sporty blitzball player who loves to swim and instead it draws more inspiration from Auron's dark samurai style. Not saying his original outfit is great, but in-universe it presents itself as lighthearted, sportier, and more similar to Wakka's style which makes sense.

I actually think Rikku's first suit(her diving suit but in a men's style with different colors) would have fit Tidus better.
tumblr_m51dcr6D6O1qk5drio1_1280.jpg

Or maybe something close to this NPC suit but without the mask:
Nedus-Blitzball-Forward.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

MiguelItUp

I can't say I'm the biggest FF fan and that I've played a great deal of them, but I did play FFVII and FFVIIR. I loved both for different reasons, but enjoyed them. I honestly never had a problem with Barrett or Jessie, and I dug how they were flushed out even more so in the remake.

I don't really have anything else to add to the OP aside from I never really got the impression that Barrett was an "airhead." He never came off to me like a complete ditz. If anything, a bit stubborn and stern, sure, but that's really it. Jessie being called a "rapist" is... a bit much. I didn't even think she was creepy, I mean, she was nowhere near Pepé Le Pew levels IMO, lmao. She's obviously interested in Cloud, so she keeps advancing, and she's persistent about it. Even if Cloud "dismisses it" he never outright tells her, "Hey, I'm not interested" or something similar. Even if he makes comments that graze that line, she could be thinking he's playing hard to get. So, her goal is to press on until he says otherwise, which he never really does, lol. So she goes on thinking that he may be THAT dense and won't get it, so she tries to be as obvious as possible, lol. That is, uh, not a "rapist" or even "rapist" tendencies IMO. That kind of persistence in a character has existed in other kinds of entertainment (as a trope of sorts), AND even in IRL. But with IRL situations, if a person is told to stop, they need to stop. If they don't, it becomes a problem.

I'm not going to argue against your opinion on Jessie because going down that road with you seems insane.

But Barrett? Seriously? The WORST in the franchise because he's an "airhead"? Please expand on this.

OOGABOOGA

Banned
I'm not going to argue against your opinion on Jessie because going down that road with you seems insane.

But Barrett? Seriously? The WORST in the franchise because he's an "airhead"? Please expand on this.
He is always yelling and rude for no reason. He seems slow too.
He threatened to kill cloud for no reason.
He treated Cloud like a pedophile for trying to speak with Marlene.
What do you call that? I call it a manchild who his brain didn't fully devlop. I don't think he is cool at all, he is just irritating. I guess if you have a Stockholm Syndrome and you hate yourself then you might be into him 🤷

Last edited:
He treated Cloud like a pedophile for trying to speak with Malrin.
What do you call that? I call it a manchild who his brain didn't fully devlop. I don't think he is cool at all, he is just irritating.
Cloud was SOLDIER, it's made very clear why Barrett feels the way he does and treats him. If you only know Barrett from the Remake, then you don't know his backstory and why he acts the way he does. Most people see through his act though and know he's a big softie, but it seems you're just taking him at face value.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: K2D

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
OH NO, NOT MALRIN! Malrin is Bootlet's son, of course he wouldn't want Crowd to talk to his daughter this way. Midregard is a scummy placed oogie Boogie, tafa and big and wedgie r the only support malrin hasded in secretion 7 (lolol support haha rino and douchebag referee)

Madflavor

Flew right over your head. He has rejected her multiple times already and yet she kept doing the same old shit over and over again. just until what point It's still showing affection? This is basically stalking and harassment at this point 👉. If a guy did this he would be called a "creep" but apparently just cus it's a pretty girl, then it's okey??

She's "chasing" after him. It's supposed to be funny and adorable. In case you didn't notice, the writers succeeded and most of the playerbase enjoyed those scenes and love Jesse. The culture is different over in Japan in how they handle romantic comedy. But you're calling Jesse a "rapist". If Jesse is anything by American standards, she's a bit of a creep.

He treated Cloud like a pedophile for trying to speak with Marlene.
What do you call that? I call it a manchild who his brain didn't fully devlop. I don't think he is cool at all, he is just irritating. I guess if you have a Stockholm Syndrome and you hate yourself then you might be into him 🤷

You seem overly sensitive if I'm being honest.

Top Bottom