• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

erawsd

So, how long till we here anything from WB or Rocksteady on this?

Well, WB's Executive Director of Marketing has already made a statement:

Man everyone in here is a bunch of babies... Look, every game released now is going to have problems the day of launch. If you can't troubleshoot or can't deal with having a few issues here or there, you should probably just wait until about a week from now and a few patches will be out and all these little problems will be fixed.

So the real problem is the VRAM usage. My TitanX was using almost 7GB on 1080p! That's why people with 980ti and below are having so many problems with stuttering.

ryushe

Just waking up and after reading a few post here and there, I assume it's safe to assume that my fx8350/R9 290 isn't up to the task?

If not, thank heavens for STEAM refunds.

Romir

pTxLqMt.png

hRor8eA.png

UNREAL. This game is hogging everything.

It runs great for me with a Titan X at 1440p. I'm perched in the city seeing 72 fps with water and gameworks fog on the screen. That's about the same as TW3 on ultra without hairworks. Batmobile fps dipped to 60 when tearing around the city in non-combat.

I'm really glad Newegg took back my 970s because not a single game I bought last year had a SLI profile at launch. Many of them needed it too. It was the worst SLI support I'd seen in six years of using it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The worst is that I expected something decent because it was using the tried and true good ol' UE3.

I guess enough incompetence will ruin anything.
It's a weird situation, though. Did Rocksteady themselves handle this port? I went ahead and bought the PS4 version on disc since it seems like the PC version isn't great (at least for my old 780). I'm stunned at how polished and impressive the game looks on PS4. The frame-rate is very very consistent and the level of detail and effects work is just remarkable. The game seems ready to jump in and out of anything without a single stutter or hiccup. You never see texture pop-in, LOD issues or stuttering of any sort. It just feels totally solid in a way that I didn't think would be possible especially when pushing UE3 in this way. When you first do the antenna scanning thing the game zooms out to show the entire city in a single shot with such a smooth pan that looks so natural. This is all WITHOUT the day 1 patch installed. Straight off the disc this is an insanely polished experience. I hope other developers take note.

The point is, this is the most polished console release we've seen in the last year, I'd say (outside of Nintendo's games), so it's absolutely fucking shocking to me that the PC version is running into so many issues. I'll test it when I get a chance since I have access to the PC version as well. I wonder if some of the issues are related to the way the game streams assets? It seems very aggressive in how quickly it moves between scenes and the pace of the game is very fast. Knowing how UE3 has, in the past, had stuttering and streaming issues on the PC it makes it seem like it's related to those old legacy issues. I suspect it would perform much nicer had they built the game in UE4.

It's definitely an ugly game, the DX11 effects look nice but they're slapped on a base of low-res textures and blurry filters. It looks like a mess, no definition.
I could not possibly disagree more. It still has some UE3 related issues but, overall, the quality of the visuals here is a massive step up from most other games on the market today. The animation, effects, and ability to transition so smoothly between everything is just incredible. I know some people just want ultra sharp visuals without any post-processing (which I find insane since that's basically moving in the opposite direction of CG) but surely you can appreciate what's going on in this game.

The detail is a generation beyond previous Batman Arkham titles.

pTxLqMt.png

hRor8eA.png

It runs great for me with a Titan X at 1440p. I'm perched in the city seeing 72 fps with water and gameworks fog on the screen. That's about the same as TW3 on ultra without hairworks. Batmobile fps dipped to 60 when tearing around the city in non-combat.

I'm really glad Newegg took back my 970s because not a single game I bought last year had a SLI profile at launch. Many of them needed it too. It was the worst SLI support I'd seen in six years of using it.

I feel like this game was specifically designed to kill the Fury X (releasing today) and it's 4 GB of HBM or something. I've never seen a game chew up my 980 Ti's entire 6 GB until now, I didn't even know games could USE that much VRAM or even how. Well, at 4K and 30 fps I don't notice much hitching so I guess 6 GB is enough for most of the game's textures and assets.

Spookie

I can't even get a refund for this pile of dog shit as I bought it from a 3rd party. Whelp I learned my lesson. My fibre is fast enough now I'll just buy games on the day of release instead.

cBj1LTf.png

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
No outsourced to Iron Galaxy. I was under the impression Rocksteady was doing all versions, consoles and pc.
Ah, well, that answers the question then.

Clearly that was the wrong move here considering how insanely polished the console experience is this time. Considering how close these systems are to PC hardware it does seem a bit odd that Rocksteady didn't handle things themselves. I know it would have been extra work but even if it meant a delay it may have been the better option.

It's a weird situation, though. Did Rocksteady themselves handle this port? I went ahead and bought the PS4 version on disc since it seems like the PC version isn't great (at least for my old 780). I'm stunned at how polished and impressive the game looks on PS4. The frame-rate is very very consistent and the level of detail and effects work is just remarkable. The game seems ready to jump in and out of anything without a single stutter or hiccup. You never see texture pop-in, LOD issues or stuttering of any sort. It just feels totally solid in a way that I didn't think would be possible especially when pushing UE3 in this way. When you first do the antenna scanning thing the game zooms out to show the entire city in a single shot with such a smooth pan that looks so natural. This is all WITHOUT the day 1 patch installed. Straight off the disc this is an insanely polished experience. I hope other developers take note.

The point is, this is the most polished console release we've seen in the last year, I'd say (outside of Nintendo's games), so it's absolutely fucking shocking to me that the PC version is running into so many issues. I'll test it when I get a chance since I have access to the PC version as well. I wonder if some of the issues are related to the way the game streams assets? It seems very aggressive in how quickly it moves between scenes and the pace of the game is very fast. Knowing how UE3 has, in the past, had stuttering and streaming issues on the PC it makes it seem like it's related to those old legacy issues. I suspect it would perform much nicer had they built the game in UE4.

I could not possibly disagree more. It still has some UE3 related issues but, overall, the quality of the visuals here is a massive step up from most other games on the market today. The animation, effects, and ability to transition so smoothly between everything is just incredible. I know some people just want ultra sharp visuals without any post-processing (which I find insane since that's basically moving in the opposite direction of CG) but surely you can appreciate what's going on in this game.

The detail is a generation beyond previous Batman Arkham titles.

Does the PS4 ver feature per-object motion and/or general motion blur?

The bat-scanner thing was also extremely impressive to me on PC, and actually ran flawlessly. Completely smooth, during the whole zooming and panning motions. Meanwhile sometimes just driving from one street to another results in stuttering.

erawsd

No outsourced to Iron Galaxy. I was under the impression Rocksteady was doing all versions, consoles and pc.

Im not convinced Iron Galaxy handled this solo. Development of this game started before either console was more than numbers on a peice of paper and up until few months ago every video and demo was done on the PC version. So until we know more Im not gonna put the blame on them alone.

Static Jak

Safe to say don't touch this for a few days, hell, maybe a few weeks if we're unlucky. Not worth the trouble of fighting to maintain a decent framerate that you have little control over.

Just, read a comic or something for your Batman fix for now.

sgs2008

pTxLqMt.png

hRor8eA.png

Can I ask what dirvers you are using cause with my titan x at 1440p i Get about 60-50 fps runnign but fps in the 30s when driving using the new drivers.

Huh? MSI afterburner OSD was running fine, then I restarted the game with new graphical settings, does not work anymore.

Ah, well, that answers the question then.

Clearly that was the wrong move here considering how insanely polished the console experience is this time. Considering how close these systems are to PC hardware it does seem a bit odd that Rocksteady didn't handle things themselves. I know it would have been extra work but even if it meant a delay it may have been the better option.

Taking a wild guess, they are probably the cheapest solution if you wanna "order" a PC port of your game.

//DEVIL//

Question.

is there a program that can display the fps of the game while i am playing ? " like something on the left or right side of the screen corners. ?

i want to know what is the fps i am hitting all the time.

preferably some small sized program that doesn't take much resources. i have ATI card here.

pTxLqMt.png

hRor8eA.png

Damn almost 6.5GB of VRAM used.
But then thats at 1440p....
Id probably play at 1080p

But 6GB original Titan should be able to handle the VRAM usage.

KHlover

Banned
Question.

is there a program that can display the fps of the game while i am playing ? " like something on the left or right side of the screen corners. ?

preferably some small sized program that doesn't take much resources. i have ATI card here.

Steam :p
Just need to enable it in Settings->Overlay, I think

Evo X

Guys, I really urge you to be patient and give them a chance to fix things.

Because the actual game underneath the performance issues is a ton of fun.

For what it's worth, the game is running very nicely maxed on my 1420mhz Titan X at 3412x1920 down sampled to my monitors native res of 2560x1440.

Now I realized not everyone here has a $1,000 GPU with 12GBs of VRAM, so my experience might be very rare. I believe there is an issue with the texture streaming and the game using up tons of VRAM, which would explain the stuttering on the majority of setups. Can any other Titan X owners concur with my statements?

Hopefully they can fix it soon so PC gamers with more modest hardware can have a smoother experience.

Question.

Use FRAPS

Huh? MSI afterburner OSD was running fine, then I restarted the game with new graphical settings, does not work anymore.

Taking a wild guess, they are probably the cheapest solution if you wanna "order" a PC port of your game.

Confirmed, Nvidia stuff breaks Afterburner OSD. Wow. Also getting "game has stopped working" every time I close it.

Romir

I feel like this game was specifically designed to kill the Fury X (releasing today) and it's 4 GB of HBM or something. I've never seen a game chew up my 980 Ti's entire 6 GB until now, I didn't even know games could USE that much VRAM or even how. Well, at 4K and 30 fps I don't notice much hitching so I guess 6 GB is enough for most of the game's textures and assets.

It's ironic that the first game to come out after the 970 release was Shadow of Mordor and now this after the 980 Ti. However, the cruelest thing would be if the game is causing 970 stutters in the last .5gb.

Can I ask what dirvers you are using cause with my titan x at 1440p i Get about 60-50 fps runnign but fps in the 30s when driving using the new drivers.

Yeah, those "game ready" batman ones that just came out. I'm on a one day old Windows 10 install. My wc'd Titan X is running the hydro copper bios (1354mhz boost) with no memory overclock at the moment. I had to reinstall my OS after DDU hosed it when trying to see if older drivers fixed the chrome driver crashing.

Hi Guys,

A quick one as i've not had time to work through the 40 pages of this thread so far.

I downloaded last night (yes all night, my broadband reaches speeds similar to a cup and string system) and booted quickly this morning.

I only ran the benchmark tool in the options menu but i was surprised it was as low as it is.

Question then: Is the scores from that tool indicative of actually gamplay?

I run 1440p (G-Sync) with 2x780Ti (16gb Ram, 4770k @4.3m SSD etc..). I get late 50s on Witcher 3 (with dips here and there) but on that benchmark the low point was.... 21.

21 ?

Twenty One!

So either tat tool is not indicative of gameplay (like Mordor) the game is very unoptimised or my 1 year old PC is ready for the bin now.

x3sphere

So the real problem is the VRAM usage. My TitanX was using almost 7GB on 1080p! That's why people with 980ti and below are having so many problems with stuttering.

VRAM definitely isn't the only culprit for stuttering. 3440x1440 I see 6GB usage on my 980 Ti, but at 1080p I saw it hit 4.8GB max and the amount of stuttering was the same.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Question.

FRAPS.

Top Bottom