• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
When I went to bed I had downloaded 33GB and had 10GB of free space left. When I woke up and booted my PC I was at 21 GB. Did I time travel?
And yet I still have only 10GB of free space left, what happened?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The one benefit of the 30fps limit I think is the fact that it should be easier to push image quality and effects up. Gameworks is usually something I'd disable immediately but if you're capped at 30 then it suddenly becomes quite feasible to use them while also pushing for higher resolutions. The motion blur and visual effects stuff is so good in this game that it still looks very nice in motion even at 30fps.

Hopefully, in the future, it will be possible to play at 60fps. That's a benefit of PC games (revisiting older games with better performance).

FFS, the Batman games have always been fine on PC, if a little demanding. What's this shit all of a sudden.
Outsourced port

Won't be doing the Face-Off but I'd imagine it will be mentioned in there. I'll have to try it myself in the future when I can get access to it. Now I'm super curious to see how it performs on my PC.

How long does it usually take for DF to publish their face off articles? Can we expect one before the weekend?

boskee

Lé Blade Runner;169485581 said:
I can't underline this enough. Never pre-order - always wait for reviews and user-impressions. PC has so much to offer beside that one brand new game that there is never a hurry to buy anything in advance.

Well, I am not interested in this game, but reviews were released few days ago and they were all solid. AusGamers, which gave this game 10/10 even went so far as to say that:

It’s the best-looking game across all three platforms (yes, even over The Witcher 3), but more importantly it just delivers in every aspect you could hope for.

Which raises a question whether or not they actually played it on PC?

My point is that you cannot really trust reviews. At least there are now Steam refunds.

Wait a fucking munite.
Textures just go up to normal and its says you need fucking 3gb ram to move that shit?

Did they just named it normal but they are high resolution textures or this is piece of shit levels of port (apart from all the broken things the game seems to have on PC) and uses even worse tectures thatn the PS4 version or something.

From what im reading my new 970 and i7 was going to get me 30fps on 1080, and that is already bad, but the textures thing is making me scrath my head even more.

sgs2008

Some 4k Gameworks smoke for yalls

19052708196_650928385d_o.png

That was from a cutscene right cause ingame my batmobile doesnt look anywhere near as detailed

x3sphere

So those with a 980ti, how is 60fps performance at 1080p?

I am running a 980gtx and while driving it is a clusterfuck of stuttering performance, often down to 30fps.

Ive been tempted by the ti while my 980 still has decent value. This might be the excuse I need?

There are spikes of stutter that bring the FPS down to like 40, but otherwise it remains at 60 on a 980 Ti. GPU usage is never maxed out, I've only seen it hit 70% tops, there's something else causing the stutter...

I mentioned earlier it might be CPU, only seeing 10% usage on my 5930K. I know games aren't optimized for a hex core but that's really low, most games I see at least 30-40% usage.

Sendou

Well, I am not interested in this game, but reviews were released few days ago and they were all solid. AusGamers, which gave this game 10/10 even went so far as to say that:

Which raises a question whether or not they actually played it on PC?

My point is that you cannot really trust reviews. At least there are now Steam refunds.

Well AusGamers do state this:

On our review platform: PS4 [...]

No PC review copies were available before release as far as I know.

//DEVIL//

We can disable DX11 and have a perfectly ok game minus eyecandy.

BAK is unplayable over 30 fps no matter the settings and config.

Please stop.

how the game unplayable over 30 fps yet its playable @ 30 fps ?

you might not get a stable fps @ 60. but its still better than 30 fps.

unless you are talking about the fps dipping making the game unplayable for you ?

also. i got the game for 20$ unrefundable. so i am stuck with it and can't return it. not that i am complaining i got it for cheap lol

Wait a fucking munite.
Textures just go up to normal and its says you need fucking 3gb ram to move that shit?

Did they just named it normal but they are high resolution textures or this is piece of shit levels of port (apart from all the broken things the game seems to have on PC) and uses even worse tectures thatn the PS4 version or something.

From what im reading my new 970 and i7 was going to get me 30fps on 1080, and that is already bad, but the textures thing is making me scrath my head even more.

The PS4 and Bone have 8 GB RAM, this IS the "New Normal". Texture detail is really good in this game guys, we should get used to there not being a "High" and "Ultra" textures option anymore in the world of consoles that have 8 GB of RAM. Normal is what used to be High before consoles got a decent RAM pool to use.

Please stop.

The hell? Arkham City ran absolutely fine in DX11 last year on a GTX 780 OC.
Anyway, if there ever comes a patch I hope we get more options to disable some post processing effects so we can inject our own, if not this shit compromises that (especially grain)

ktroopa

since noone has said it, i will. Batman Arkham Knight lead platform is PS4 people.

sux it and weep. including me :(

to memory i saw no media, previews or indeed video apart from a trailer on the PC version leading upto launch i mean ZERO. it was all PS4, so now we know.

filly

So the game is running well, however I'm a bit confused, this definately does not look as impresive as I'm expecting. I'm running a 970gtx and the texture resolution maxium setting is normal (it says next to it this setting is for up to 3gb cards).

But could it be that the PS4 version would actually look better?! Also the reviews of the PS4 version give graphics praise, even in some cases regarding it above the witcher. Which seems crazy as the witcher looks lush on my PC.

What I need to know: is the PS4 version capable of higher textures than a PC with a 970gtx? I hate myself for being such a batman fan, but i'm going to have to double dip if thats the case (can't get a refund, didnt get my key on steam).

scitek

Please stop.

I think the point is it seems like Rocksteady has no idea what they're doing when it comes to using DX11.

At least they didn't delay the launch by a month and pretend it was for QA purposes while the whole studio was really on vacation this time.

BNGames

Posted my impressions and poor results

Link: https://youtu.be/hVgNRpSRj30

PC Specs:
COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) - Overclocked to 4.3Ghz
(SLI) EVGA 04G-2983-KR GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 ACX 2.0 PCI Express 3.0
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS
(Shadowplay Dump Drive) SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
(OS Drive) SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

So the game is running well, however I'm a bit confused, this definately does not look as impresive as I'm expecting. I'm running a 970gtx and the texture resolution maxium setting is normal (it says next to it this setting is for up to 3gb cards).

But could it be that the PS4 version would actually look better?! Also the reviews of the PS4 version give graphics praise, even in some cases regarding it above the witcher. Which seems crazy as the witcher looks lush on my PC.

What I need to know: is the PS4 version capable of higher textures than a PC with a 970gtx? I hate myself for being such a batman fan, but i'm going to have to double dip if thats the case (can't get a refund, didnt get my key on steam).

This is my sentiment exactly. The game runs decent for me but in no way does it look as impressive as I was expecting...and at 30 FPS it makes no sense. Especially with how well the previous Arkham games run. I got boned so fucking hard getting convinced to get the discounted preorder earlier today...the fuck was I thinking. I wasn't even planning on getting it at launch, but that 40% off fucked me over.

And now I can't even refund.

Shari

how the game unplayable over 30 fps yet its playable @ 30 fps ?

you might not get a stable fps @ 60. but its still better than 30 fps.

unless you are talking about the fps dipping making the game unplayable for you ?

also. i got the game for 20$ unrefundable. so i am stuck with it and can't return it. not that i am complaining i got it for cheap lol

60fps with drops to 35 and stuttering is unacceptable for the IQ shown for someone with a 970 (that's me).

Even more so considering we're coming The Witcher 3 which looks absolutelly gorgeous and runs so smooth.

Time to go back down to earth, accept this is a SHIT PORT (outsourcing, hi ubisoft) and ANYONE who can refund, DO IT.

I'm stuck with an unrefundable game with piss poor perfomance and no way to address my complains to WB/RS.

dark10x

Tell me this - what is it about The Witcher that you find impressive? They are visually striking in very different ways.

Batman pushes a lot of visual effects that come together in a very tight package. The animation and transitions between animations and cutscenes is really incredible. The motion blur, lit particles, model detail, material quality and overall fluidity is just impressive to behold.

The Witcher 3 features a massive world with fully dynamic time of day and a lot of lovely design elements BUT it animates very poorly and generally feels a bit clunky in motion. They built some beautiful locales but nothing really moves all that well and the post-process effects are pretty tame. It looks like a GAME where as Batman is very clearly trying to resemble pre-rendered film.

I think a lot of the elements I love in Batman are things that many PC gamers do not. Lots of heavy blur and depth of field effects, camera distortion, etc. I think it looks insanely good here but I know a lot of PC gamers would want to disable ALL of those things just to get something that looks super clean.

If you want a super pristine looking game without any of those effects then Batman probably isn't going to appeal to you. I'm more a fan of high quality animation and effects work which is why I find Batman so damn incredible in motion.

It's all just opinion.

Unison

It's a shame lots of people are having problems... I've had it run beautifully for 4 hours on my 760 GTX (4GB) and i5 system.

Just used the default Nvidia selected settings and the latest drivers.

TheMoon

Man everyone in here is a bunch of babies... Look, every game released now is going to have problems the day of launch. If you can't troubleshoot or can't deal with having a few issues here or there, you should probably just wait until about a week from now and a few patches will be out and all these little problems will be fixed.

Heh, yea ...no. If you give a shit and have good QA with enough time to get things done right, there are no issues.

//DEVIL//

since noone has said it, i will. Batman Arkham Knight lead platform is PS4 people.

sux it and weep. including me :(

to memory i saw no media, previews or indeed video apart from a trailer on the PC version leading upto launch i mean ZERO. it was all PS4, so now we know.

ok let me ask you this. assuming both the PS4 version and the pc version are playable @ 30 fps. which of these versions look and play better ?

It doesn't matter if the lead platform is on PS4. the PC version will always look and play better at the end. not to mention thie game will be patched soon enough

Qassim

wut? : /

Did the Nvidia driver last night not include the profile for it? Or is the game just broken and not using SLI properly?

I get negative scaling, so there's something wrong with it. That's with the latest drivers and the SLI profile (have manually confirmed it is there).

pahamrick

Something is either really screwy with the game, or the Windows 10 Batman drivers.

i7 920 @ 4.1ghz HT Disabled
GTX 970 1500 Core / 4000 Mem (Going by Precision X)

I disabled the 30 FPS limit in the games files, but then I limited it to 30fps using nvidia inspector. I'm downsampling from 1440p (I'm playing on a 1080p TV) with all settings maxed and all gameworks settings on. Ingame vsync disabled, forcing vsync via nvidia control panel. Ingame AA disabled since I'm doing a slight down sample.

I got a locked 30fps during the benchmark, and then a locked 30FPS in game all the way up until you first get into the Batmobile, even during the chase but as soon as I follow the prompt to eject from the Batmobile after disabling the car, my 970 suddenly downclocks the core to 405mhz which causes FPS to drop into the low teens.

I have to restart the computer to fix it. I tried without the overclock, just in case and the same thing happens. The overclock is stable, I don't have troubles in any other game or benchmark.

I mentioned the benchmark scores just because, as you pointed out I knew full well that the game would be locked at 30FPS.

I just want a mostly flawless gameplay experience, and seeing as I have that I am happy.

Bruh, you have a 980. 30 fps is unacceptable unless you are downsampling from 4K or something.

ktroopa

ok let me ask you this. assuming both the PS4 version and the pc version are playable @ 30 fps. which of these versions look and play better ?

It doesn't matter if the lead platform is on PS4. the PC version will always look and play better at the end. not to mention thie game will be patched soon enough

I agree PC will look the best of course, im just expressing my disappointment for the game delivered at launch on PC. we all expect more over the consoles :)

MaLDo

Every Arkham game had streaming problems exactly as every other UE3 game. Every previous Arkham game can be "fixed" messing with config files and options. Arkham City can't be played without stuttering in DX11. Arkham Origins has a near perfect DX11 implementation btw with minimal frametime problems because the streaming.

IS A FUCKING INTRINSICAL PROBLEM IN UE3.

It's not a problem with loading textures, but other assets like geometry and scripts (texture streaming is asynchronous). The more different assets a UE3 game has, the bigger problem you will have. You can't avoid stutters in "Vanishing of Ethan Carter" and so is great devs are porting the game to UE4.

Streaming holds the main thread for a while and the renderer is stopped this time. In a big frametime, 33 ms for example, those probems could be invisible. But the engine can't handle loading a lot of assets without problems in 16 ms frametime. That's why they have a 30 fps lock as default option.

I hope Rockstady can help those fucked porters to "fix" this shit.

I've paid 22€ for a not refundable game and I have not downloaded the game yet.

Encouragement to those affected.

My game has judder when locked to 30. But it actually locks to 31 which is probably the reason. That was my TV test. Will try G-Sync now. If there is still stutter, it is the game's problem.

Impulsor

Tell me this - what is it about The Witcher that you find impressive? They are visually striking in very different ways.

Batman pushes a lot of visual effects that come together in a very tight package. The animation and transitions between animations and cutscenes is really incredible. The motion blur, lit particles, model detail, material quality and overall fluidity is just impressive to behold.

The Witcher 3 features a massive world with fully dynamic time of day and a lot of lovely design elements BUT it animates very poorly and generally feels a bit clunky in motion. They built some beautiful locales but nothing really moves all that well and the post-process effects are pretty tame. It looks like a GAME where as Batman is very clearly trying to resemble pre-rendered film.

I think a lot of the elements I love in Batman are things that many PC gamers do not. Lots of heavy blur and depth of field effects, camera distortion, etc. I think it looks insanely good here but I know a lot of PC gamers would want to disable ALL of those things just to get something that looks super clean.

If you want a super pristine looking game without any of those effects then Batman probably isn't going to appeal to you. I'm more a fan of high quality animation and effects work which is why I find Batman so damn incredible in motion.

It's all just opinion.

I've been noticing pop in while fliding around and descending to the ground. Ps4 version has no pop in?

boskee

I just realized that this thread has more posts than the OT. Was the information about subcontractor responsible for the PC port available before the release?

dark10x

Every Arkham game had streaming problems exactly as every other UE3 game. Every previous Arkham game can be "fixed" messing with config files and options. Arkham City can't be played without stuttering in DX11. Arkham Origins has a near perfect DX11 implementation btw with minimal frametime problems because the streaming.

Yup, that's what I was saying. It's an issue with the engine.

I think the problem is exacerbated here as a result of the increased speed of traversal thanks to the batmobile. You could never move through the city at such a speed previously.

What I'm curious about is how they were able to prevent stuttering from occurring on consoles.

I've been noticing pop in while fliding around and descending to the ground. Ps4 version has no pop in?
There is some LOD pop-in, of course, but I feel it's nicely concealed and not particularly noticeable. No texture pop-in, though.

ktroopa

my RSS osd just stopped working, fraps wont work either. is there a known solution for this?

i am affected by this too.

when i first launched the game ran some benchines RTSS was shwoing fps fine. then the game updated and installed some DLC and RTSS dont work no more. all other steam games display fine. no idea whats wrong, can only think the game needs an update to support the overlay again.

CryptiK

It's not a problem with loading textures, but other assets like geometry and scripts (texture streaming is asynchronous). The more different assets a UE3 game has, the bigger problem you will have. You can't avoid stutters in "Vanishing of Ethan Carter" and so is great devs are porting the game to UE4.

Streaming holds the main thread for a while and the renderer is stopped this time. In a big frametime, 33 ms for example, those probems could be invisible. But the engine can't handle loading a lot of assets without problems in 16 ms frametime. That's why they have a 30 fps lock as default option.

I hope Rockstady can help those fucked porters to "fix" this shit.

I've paid 22€ for a not refundable game and I have not downloaded the game yet.

Encouragement to those affected.
I just finished Arkham City maxed out DX11 + PhysX stuff last week 60FPS no stutter. I get roughly 40FPS before the game crashes with AK.

Top Bottom