• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

GHG

Gold Member
I'm in disbelief that the PS4 version looks better.

And to think I rushed out to a shitty part of town this weekend to get a 980 ti in time for this game.

The big question is... Those e3 videos over the last couple of years... What were they running on? Because its not the ps4 version, nor the PC version as we have seen now.

To say this is bullshit would be an understatement.

This is all slightly distressing. I played for about five minutes this morning having thought my computer could cope with things on normal at 1080p (i7-4770k, 8gb RAM, GTX 770 2GB) but it's very stop-start. If the camera's not moving then it seems to cope fine, but otherwise it's a bit of a jerky mess and will freeze up for what feels like no good reason. I'm not worried about 60fps, just a consistent

My quandary is that it seems like upgrading the graphics card is what I should do, but it's not much less expensive than buying a PS4 with the game. Anyone got any particular advice? It's early days yet and maybe there's some further optimisation that can be done, though.

I suppose it only cost me £30 from Amazon which isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things, but I don't really want to turn the texture details down to "low" because I did that for the benchmark and the graphical downgrade made everything look worse than the other Batman games do on my 360! 720p might be a sensible compromise, I guess.

With any luck, a flurry of patches will be on their way, especially considering the game's Steam reviews...

Hagi

Ugh sounds like a complete shitshow by all accounts. Wish I had bought through my credit card instead of Steam Wallet so I could get a proper refund and buy the PS4 version, now I'm stuck my £35 in funds with nothing to buy.

tuxfool

Banned

And to think I rushed out to a shitty part of town this weekend to get a 980 ti in time for this game.

The big question is... Those e3 videos over the last couple of years... What were they running on? Because its not the ps4 version, nor the PC version as we have seen now.

Those e3 demos had "captured off a ps4".

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That is a good question.

I mean, the consoles are basically PCs so I'd imagine they were demoed on the PC but the actual PC version doesn't seem to have been made in-house.

I do recall that the ORIGINAL demos shown for the game were running very very poorly and crashing constantly. Beyond that, other demos shown were always just video.

Amazingly, the final product looks very very close to those original trailers and footage.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
Why else would this game eat up 6 GB of my system RAM and all 6 GB of my 980 Ti's VRAM.

well if you have to ask I don't think your qualified for this discussion, especially based on your analysis on RAM usage and development. 8-2.5=5.5 5.5-1=4.5 4.5 is around the total available useable ram resources to ps4 developer end of story's you can just pull RAM from 1GB here and there from a live OS and expect no consequences. that memory is being used. end of story your disqualified from my responses if you are going to start calling easy things complicated.

Most games will allocate more memory than it strictly needs for cacheing. It's very complicated to work out how much VRAM a game really uses in most cases. 3-4GB has been enough to exceed PS4/XBO level textures in games lately. Shadow of Mordor ultra textures were ludicrously large for what they actually looked like, but they used ~4.8gb. And the setting below that that ran fine on a 3GB card looked as good / better than consoles anyway. Call of Duty Advance Warfare could use 5-6gb of Vram if your card had it, but ran fine on 2-3gb cards.

Yeah. It seems hard to measure how much VRAM a game strictly needs these days, but certain games like GTAV and Dying Light already seem to be able to actually use, not just cache, more than 4 GB of assets and I'm curious if Arkham Knight is actually using all the stuff it's shoving into my 980 Ti's 6 GB of VRAM or not. People with Titan X are reporting this game uses up to 8 GB of the VRAM on their cards which is pretty crazy even if it's just caching, that's like almost 1/4 of the game's total size on the hard drive.

On a side note, today's the launch date of the AMD Radeon Fury X and that's a video card with 4 GB of HBM being marketed as a 4K resolution gaming card. It will be interesting to see how Fury X copes with games like GTAV, Dying Light, and Arkham Knight in 4K since those games might actually be able to really exceed 4 GB of VRAM being actively used, not just cached.

Ok, so the bottom line is that PS4 framerate is pretty much the best you will get and even that requires tweaking to make it smooth.

My guide for that:

- Turn off Gameworks stuff, it is broken and will drop your fps significantly, especially in Batmobile sections.
- Unlock the fps as described in the OP
- Force adaptive V-Sync and set pre-rendered frames to 1 in Nvidia control panel.
- Lock fps to 30 via MSI Afterburner. (The game locked to 31 by default for me which caused judder)

Granted, I am playing this on a TV with a controller. I also turned AA off as this is one of the few games that can do without. The blur was just too much. My VRAM usage was around 3,6 max.

GTX970 OC, 3770K, 16GB RAM.

Of course this will not fix the hilarious texture res problems.

Can you post a screenshot of it?

BY2K

Membero Americo
i7 4770k
16GB RAM
7970 3GB

Everything on/high, gameworks all off, 1920x1200.

I was expecting so much worse. I'm hitting 31 FPS constant. Did the first fight and Batmobile segment.

If I turn on enhanced rain and lighting, it varies between 27 and 32 FPS.

I was expecting so much worse reading this thread.

pahamrick

Was a lie. If you save a frametime file with fraps you will see framerate goes to 55/56 fps here and there when you are flying fast across the city.

Going to have to agree with MalDo on this. I replayed AC a few weeks ago, and with DX11 the game would randomly crash every couple of hours and everytime I was flying and using the grapple boost for speed the FPS would constantly dip into the mid 50s.

Turning off DX11 fixed most of my issues.

How the hell does it look better?! Jesus I can't believe this lol.

I think we're reaching GAF levels of hyperbole when people are saying the PS4 version looks better than the PC version of this game.

I run this game in 4K resolution, settings maxed, Gameworks On, with my 980 Ti. I'll challenge anybody who claims the PS4 version looks better than what I'm seeing on my PC.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'm running a 970 gtx, everything maxed. Video's of PS4 on gamersyde look like they have higher resolution of texture to me. I really need to know defintively. We might be just assuming that its better just because its PC, but I think there is something strange going on here... I want some side by side proof. I'm really not happy with the texture quality on the PC as of now.

Actually right now we only have videos of the Xbox One version ;)
We will do some PC videos tonight, along with a live stream, so you'll get some direct comparisons one way or another.

Vuze

Why doesn't the game show up in activity feeds and such? Is it yet to be unlocked somewhere in this world? This all seems so fishy.

pahamrick

Ditto, exact same thing I'm getting. Anyone know why this would be occurring.

I wouldn't attempt to verify files. When I did the game said all files failed verification (without even checking them) and deleted the game forcing me to re-download the whole thing.

Why doesn't the game show up in activity feeds and such? Is it yet to be unlocked somewhere in this world? This all seems so fishy.
Happens with lots of big steam games that have midnight releases, will appear on steam walls and such within the next day.

I think we're reaching GAF levels of hyperbole when people are saying the PS4 version looks better than the PC version of this game.

I run this game in 4K resolution, settings maxed, Gameworks On, with my 980 Ti. I'll challenge anybody who claims the PS4 version looks better than what I'm seeing on my PC.

What FPS are you getting? No sudden Drops ?

ktroopa

wow i just solved the issue with RTSS not showing up in game. TURN OFF GAMEWORKS

lol... nice fix

so this game def needs a patch

Qassim

Just requested a refund. If they fix the issues, then I'll maybe buy it back again, but at the moment I'm not even that interested in playing the game on any platform - it has soured me on the game quite a bit.

gotoadgo

I wouldn't attempt to verify files. When I did the game said all files failed verification (without even checking them) and deleted the game forcing me to re-download the whole thing.
Too late haha. I did this a few hours ago. Not a big deal, I'd given up for the night anyway so I'll let it go and see what happens.

So its pretty bad even with the gameworks stuff off?

I remember their last Batman game in 2011 had major issues with stuttering and frame rate all over the place.

Shari

Let's see how they deal with this being the first AAA refundable that is worth to be refunded.

I expect alarms to be ringing right now @ WB hq.

Qassim

Did you actually buy the game on Steam? Retail keys are ineligible for refunds and gift copy refunds have to be initiated by the original purchaser.

I did - there's a weird issue on Steam at the moment where the game isn't even showing up in activity, for me or other people (the game doesn't show up on people's profile). I requested a refund by doing it through the 'A purchase' option as suggested by bes.gen above and selecting where I pre-ordered it.

ISee

lol, This game runs like hot crap on my 660ti and 3770k. Witcher 3 never even ran or looked close to this badly.

The Nvidia Experience suggested I knock my res down to 720p.

Hmm isn't the 660Ti even slightly faster then a 750Ti, which most of the time is able to run stuff slightly better then on consoles?

GHG

Gold Member
Are there any actual comparisons?

Not yet but I'm sure we'll have some soon enough.

I'm watching gameplay videos at 1080p back to back and the ps4 version looks better to me for some reason. The overall picture is a lot more coherent for some reason. This shouldn't be happening.

only having the pc version i cant say for sure, but even with the lod streaming problems its unlikely the ps4 version looks better than the pc version. well find out within the next week on the face off tho.

Top Bottom