• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I decided to lock the game at 30fps and turn on all gameworks options. I'm now running the game on my Kuro plasma which is handling the framerate much better than my 144hz monitor.

filly

I agree PC will look the best of course, im just expressing my disappointment for the game delivered at launch on PC. we all expect more over the consoles :)

I'm running a 970 gtx, everything maxed. Video's of PS4 on gamersyde look like they have higher resolution of texture to me. I really need to know defintively. We might be just assuming that its better just because its PC, but I think there is something strange going on here... I want some side by side proof. I'm really not happy with the texture quality on the PC as of now.

tuxfool

Banned
The PS4 and Bone have 8 GB RAM, this IS the "New Normal". Texture detail is really good in this game guys, we should get used to there not being a "High" and "Ultra" textures option anymore in the world of consoles that have 8 GB of RAM. Normal is what used to be High before consoles got a decent RAM pool to use.

I wish people would stop repeating this. They have 5GB available, for everything.

Rizzi

If locking the framerate at 30 caused it to stay at 30 I'd be okay with it.
Not ideal obviously, but keeping it locked to 30 causes the framerate to drop sub 30. That is really not okay.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If locking the framerate at 30 caused it to stay at 30 I'd be okay with it.
Not ideal obviously, but keeping it locked to 30 causes the framerate to drop sub 30. That is really not okay.

Oh it's one of those magical framelocks that increases your dips as well? So without lock it stays above 30 at all times, but with lock it frequently dips?

Ultranist

Banned
ok let me ask you this. assuming both the PS4 version and the pc version are playable @ 30 fps. which of these versions look and play better ?

It doesn't matter if the lead platform is on PS4. the PC version will always look and play better at the end. not to mention thie game will be patched soon enough
I not 100% sure but by the looks of it the PC version has a lot less aggressive LOD

This isn't going to be an issue for most people, but the retail version of the game comes with 5 dvds, which together only installs 7.7gb of the game on your hard drive. You still have to download the rest. What the hell. Five dvds for 7.7gb? What is going on in that organisation?

So get ready to weep, anyone with a slow internet connection.

d00d3n

I just finished Arkham City maxed out DX11 + PhysX stuff last week 60FPS no stutter. I get roughly 40FPS before the game crashes with AK.

Sorry to hear that. You should have used DX9 with a healthy dose of SGSSAA to get the best experience, while achieving the unflinching true 60fps!

UrbanRats

I'm running a 970 gtx, everything maxed. Video's of PS4 on gamersyde look like they have higher resolution of texture to me. I really need to know defintively. We might be just assuming that its better just because its PC, but I think there is something strange going on here... I want some side by side proof. I'm really not happy with the texture quality on the PC as of now.

That'd be hilarious.
Much better hardware, can't run worse texture as smoothly.

I'd like to say i'm past surprise, but i'm not, so surprise me WB!

KainXVIII

The PS4 and Bone have 8 GB RAM, this IS the "New Normal". Texture detail is really good in this game guys, we should get used to there not being a "High" and "Ultra" textures option anymore in the world of consoles that have 8 GB of RAM. Normal is what used to be High before consoles got a decent RAM pool to use.

Don't forger coding to the metal.

filly

Also, can anyone select above normal textures? Isn't it weird that their 3gb and under texture setting is called normal in the first place??!

i am affected by this too.

when i first launched the game ran some benchines RTSS was shwoing fps fine. then the game updated and installed some DLC and RTSS dont work no more. all other steam games display fine. no idea whats wrong, can only think the game needs an update to support the overlay again.

same here. shadowplay fps works. now that i tried it with unlocked fps its clear just how awful this port is. gpu usage fluctuates from 50 to 85% just walking around as the framerate jumps all around between high 40s and low 80s at 1440p on an overclocked titan x. only way to get high gpu usage is to stare at the sky from a tall building. havent got the batmobile yet but im sure filling the screen with nv enhanced smoke or debris is the only other scenario gpu usage will be high.

I wish people would stop repeating this. They have 5GB available, for everything.

They have 8 GB of RAM, of which right now up to 2.5 GB is reserved for the OS. That OS footprint may shrink in the future, as it did for the PS3 over the years. So my saying their total amount of memory is factually correct, since last I checked Windows and other apps on your PC also use up a portion of your PC's RAM but nobody talks about the "available" amount of memory on your PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ehMb8ItKs

Jim's uploaded a video showing the issues for anyone who's thinking of picking it up. Not that it needs to be said at this point but WAIT.

At least I'm not the only one getting lost in a flurry of blurriness.

I just realized that this thread has more posts than the OT. Was the information about subcontractor responsible for the PC port available before the release?

It was brought up multiple times in the review topic. Iron Galaxy also worked on Arkham Origins which I imagine is why they got the job for Arkham Knight.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
They have 8 GB of RAM, of which right now up to 2.5 GB is reserved for the OS. That OS footprint may shrink in the future, as it did for the PS3 over the years. So my saying their total amount of memory is factually correct, since last I checked Windows and other apps on your PC also use up a portion of your PC's RAM but nobody talks about the "available" amount of memory on your PC.

PC's have VRAM and DRAM...not a unified pool that a cpu and GPU need to share

while consoles don't have the dram to run the OS on it needs to bite into the Unified pool shrinking it's total allotment...do you even math?

do you even PC? you should know this simple stuff...

-edm

Neo Member
Playing this on an r9 290 oc with a 4690k at 4.4 and 16 gigs of ram and I'm getting a solid 60fps everywhere except the batmobile. Even then it only drops for a little bit, feel pretty lucky.

Vram is pretty high though, nearing 4 gigs but I haven't noticed any stuttering yet. Running the newest amd drivers.

The PS4 has 4.5GB available to developers with an additional 512 being "flexible". And again, this game is using more than 10GB in total memory and will use even more if it's available. What the PS4 and XBox One might have in total usable by developer RAM in the future is irrelevant.

aTTckr

Is it worth it to install AMD's newest beta driver or should I wait in case it causes problems somewhere other than Arkham Knight?

tuxfool

Banned

Oh absolutely. But as of right now stating 8GB without qualification implies that games have access to the whole 8GB pool, which isn't the case and certainly cannot explain the high memory usage. Generally on PC people will have sufficient RAM (a lot of which can also be swapped out) and often RAM in excess, VRAM is another issue, however.

Therefore one should be looking at the game using 1GB for data and 4~4.5 GB for graphics on a PS4 (sort of basing this on Infamous and KZ documentation).

Citation needed

I don't think so. At this point google should be just as quick.

Qassim

wut

batmanak_2015_06_23_162qt8.png

PC's have VRAM and DRAM...not a unified pool that a cpu and GPU need to share

while consoles don't have the dram to run the OS on it needs to bite into the Unified pool shrinking it's total allotment...do you even math?

I math just fine, but what you're saying is completely irrelevant. Because PC system RAM and VRAM are not shared, memory management is actually more complicated on PC than on the PS4 and Bone. Why else would this game eat up 6 GB of my system RAM and all 6 GB of my 980 Ti's VRAM, I wonder how many assets are pointlessly being duplicated in both memory pools just to prevent swapping back and forth over the excruciatingly slow PCI-e bus. The consoles having a unified memory pool offers a lot of efficiencies over what the PC has to deal with having a split memory pool.

Played about six hours so far, on a 670GTX/i5-3570k. I didn't mess with an .ini stuff because I was planning to lock it to 30 anyway, all I did was turn up all the regular graphical settings, leave the Gameworks stuff off, running it at 1080p. I feel I get a pretty rocksolid 30FPS between the stutters, but when it does stutter it stutters hard. It's not like a regular microstutter, it's full on freezing for three seconds at a time (often longer). Mostly happens out in the city, and especially in the Batmobile.

Hopefully we'll get a barrage of patches before long, but those can wait for second and third playthroughs because right now I need to be spending every waking hour playing this glorious (though technically broken) game.

Well I did :/. i7-2600K 8GB RAM and a Geforce Titan. Was great.

I actually believe you, but I think what they mean is an absolutely locked 60 fps, that was definitely not the case on my end. But there was also no stuttering all the time, it was mostly a smooth experience, it went noticably down when physx came into play and tessellation here and there.
All in all, I doubt that this dx11 problem of Arkham City is the exact same problem that is the topic of this thread with Arkham Knights, because if it is then I will have absolutely no problem with the game regarding that.

Why else would this game eat up 6 GB of my system RAM and all 6 GB of my 980 Ti's VRAM,

Most games will allocate more memory than it strictly needs for cacheing. It's very complicated to work out how much VRAM a game really uses in most cases. 3-4GB has been enough to exceed PS4/XBO level textures in games lately. Shadow of Mordor ultra textures were ludicrously large for what they actually looked like, but they used ~4.8gb. And the setting below that that ran fine on a 3GB card looked as good / better than consoles anyway. Call of Duty Advance Warfare could use 5-6gb of Vram if your card had it, but ran fine on 2-3gb cards.

Played about six hours so far, on a 670GTX/i5-3570k. I didn't mess with an .ini stuff because I was planning to lock it to 30 anyway, all I did was turn up all the regular graphical settings, leave the Gameworks stuff off, running it at 1080p. I feel I get a pretty rocksolid 30FPS between the stutters, but when it does stutter it stutters hard. It's not like a regular microstutter, it's full on freezing for three seconds at a time (often longer). Mostly happens out in the city, and especially in the Batmobile.

Hopefully we'll get a barrage of patches before long, but those can wait for second and third playthroughs because right now I need to be spending every waking hour playing this glorious (though technically broken) game.

Damn , you should have refunded the game while you had the chance.

Qassim

It seems like every single Next-gen open world game has some sort of really bad LOD popins, Witcher 3 is no exception , part of the reason I haven't finished the game despite thinking its pretty good is the LOD.

The thing here is that isn't even popping in.

dlauv

lol, This game runs like hot crap on my 660ti and 3770k. Witcher 3 never even ran or looked close to this badly.

The Nvidia Experience suggested I knock my res down to 720p.

BluWacky

This is all slightly distressing. I played for about five minutes this morning having thought my computer could cope with things on normal at 1080p (i7-4770k, 8gb RAM, GTX 770 2GB) but it's very stop-start. If the camera's not moving then it seems to cope fine, but otherwise it's a bit of a jerky mess and will freeze up for what feels like no good reason. I'm not worried about 60fps, just a consistent 30fps will do me.

My quandary is that it seems like upgrading the graphics card is what I should do, but it's not much less expensive than buying a PS4 with the game. Anyone got any particular advice? It's early days yet and maybe there's some further optimisation that can be done, though.

I suppose it only cost me £30 from Amazon which isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things, but I don't really want to turn the texture details down to "low" because I did that for the benchmark and the graphical downgrade made everything look worse than the other Batman games do on my 360! 720p might be a sensible compromise, I guess.

Impulsor

I'm really torn.. I'm really considering picking up the PS4 preorder and leave my nvidia free game there to rot till its patched.

Gbraga

At 30fps, the only drops I have seem all related to streaming, which unfortunately means that Batmobile is as close to unplayable as it gets.

Ok, so the bottom line is that PS4 framerate is pretty much the best you will get and even that requires tweaking to make it smooth.

My guide for that:

- Turn off Gameworks stuff, it is broken and will drop your fps significantly, especially in Batmobile sections.
- Unlock the fps as described in the OP
- Force adaptive V-Sync and set pre-rendered frames to 1 in Nvidia control panel.
- Lock fps to 30 via MSI Afterburner. (The game locked to 31 by default for me which caused judder)

Granted, I am playing this on a TV with a controller. I also turned AA off as this is one of the few games that can do without. The blur was just too much. My VRAM usage was around 3,6 max.

GTX970 OC, 3770K, 16GB RAM.

Of course this will not fix the hilarious texture res problems.

Raziel

This is all slightly distressing. I played for about five minutes this morning having thought my computer could cope with things on normal at 1080p (i7-4770k, 8gb RAM, GTX 770 2GB) but it's very stop-start. If the camera's not moving then it seems to cope fine, but otherwise it's a bit of a jerky mess and will freeze up for what feels like no good reason. I'm not worried about 60fps, just a consistent

My quandary is that it seems like upgrading the graphics card is what I should do, but it's not much less expensive than buying a PS4 with the game. Anyone got any particular advice? It's early days yet and maybe there's some further optimisation that can be done, though.

I suppose it only cost me £30 from Amazon which isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things, but I don't really want to turn the texture details down to "low" because I did that for the benchmark and the graphical downgrade made everything look worse than the other Batman games do on my 360! 720p might be a sensible compromise, I guess.

I would buy the console.

Sölf

So, I've installed the new AMD driver and started the game, but I didn't encounter any problems so far. I am not even sure if I have the 30 FPS issue because the performance test at the beginning showed ~60 FPS on average. At least for me the game works as good as it gets.

Top Bottom