• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Forever or Batman & Robin: which one had worse villains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
The next person who says something negative about Jim Carrey is going to get a mouthful from my ass.

su1xwgzun05cuncx_o_jitmfhm.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
At the time, Jim Carey was fantastic. I remember most people really enjoying Batman Forever.

I'm sure it hasn't aged well and it was basically a product of its time but at the time it was great.

Everyone knew Batman and Robin was bad from day one.

bsb

Neo Member
As atrocious as B&R is, the villains are at least distinct. It feels pointless to have both Two Face and Riddler in Forever because their portrayals are so similar- Carey is imitating The Joker, and Jones is imitating Carey. In the very first scene with Two Face, Jones is actually pretty good (where he's menacing the security guard, he at least seems somewhat menacing instead of zany), but once he starts sharing scenes with Carey, it's like he can't help but try to upstage him. Which is pretty hard to do.

As an overall movie, however, Forever is better, as far as that goes.

What's really fucking weird in B&R is how there are a couple of really serious scenes that are not bad at all. Wayne comforting Alfred and some of the stuff with Freeze belonged in a much better movie.

Ripclawe

Banned
Every single frame of Batman & Robin is objectively bad. In a weird way it's a sort of achievement.

I still remember going to a midnight showing and the first 5 mins, the audience was into it and then it just got uncomfortably quiet for the rest of the movie...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom