• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman R.I.P.: an Official Thread for Speculation, Discussion, and "OMGWTF" Hysteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2cxc7j4.jpg
2aaactl.jpg
x3ee09.jpg
28cmsrc.jpg
acexcm.jpg
293wzk5.jpg

What is "Batman R.I.P." and why should I care?
Basically, "Batman R.I.P." will be the culmination of nearly two years of Grant Morrison as the writer of Batman. Every story told, every character introduced, every event that unfolded in his run thus far has supposedly been leading up to this storyline... a storyline that, when all is said and done, will have "changed things... forever" in the world of the Dark Knight.

How, exactly? Well, I'm not sure; there's been a lot of speculation (Batman dies/is reborn as a New God, lulz), random hints here and there from Didio and the gang, but nothing tangible. What we do know is that behind Morrison's run has been an exploration of Bruce Wayne's psychological state; how time spent being Batman, all these adventures and experiments to understand the minds of lunatics like the Joker may have adversely affected the Dark Knight's psyche. Presumably, "Batman R.I.P." will see these unresolved issues exploited, resulting in a "worst day" scenario for Batman that he may not emerge from unscathed... or at all.

And why should you care? Two reasons: 1) it's Batman! Apart from a few oddballs, the majority of GAF loves Batman, and this storyline promises to be the biggest Batman story in years. And 2) Grant Morrison doesn't mess around. The guy's a shaping force at DC Comics right now, notorious for groundbreaking sh*t and for not pulling his punches when it comes to making changes. Plus, the man's not going anywhere; Morrison will be writing Batman for the forseeable future according to himself and Didio. Which means all of this is just Morrison setting the stage for his take on at least the next few years of Batman.

Solicitations
Here are the official solicitations for issues of Batman that will make up the "Batman R.I.P." arc, updated as released in the months ahead. Also, given the world-shattering nature of this story, there will be tie-in issues throughout the entire lineup of Bat-related comics (Detective, Robin, Nightwing, etc.). These are tie-ins only, however; the main story will be featured exclusively in Batman.

Regarding Final Crisis, Morrison has said that a short story arc following "Batman R.I.P." will tie in to that series, but right now it's unclear whether one takes place before, during, or after the other. Heck, Bruce Wayne may not even be the Batman by the time Final Crisis rolls out.

EDIT: Here's the checklist for "Batman R.I.P.":

Batman #676-681
Detective Comics #846-850
Nightwing #147-150
Robin #175-176
Batman and the Outsiders #11-13

BATMAN #676

Written by Grant Morrison; Art and variant cover by Tony Daniel and Sandu Florea; Cover by Alex Ross

Are you ready for "Batman R.I.P."?

Beginning the epic story that will change the legend of the Dark Knight forever! Everything in Grant Morrison's groundbreaking run on Batman has been leading to this story, and nothing will ever be the same again. Who will live? Who will die? Who will be Batman? The answers are sure to shock you in "Batman R.I.P.," featuring artwork by Tony Daniel and Sandu Florea and covers by Alex Ross.

Batman | 32pg. | Color | $2.99 US

On Sale May 14, 2008
BATMAN #677

Written by Grant Morrison; Art by Tony Daniel and Sandu Florea; Cover by Alex Ross ; Variant Cover by Daniel

Continuing "Batman R.I.P," the epic story that will change the legend of the Dark Knight forever! As the life of Bruce Wayne takes an interesting turn with Jezebel Jet, the life of Batman falls into the ultimate downward spiral.

On Sale May 28, 2008
BATMAN #678

Written by Grant Morrison; Art by Tony Daniel and Sandu Florea; Cover by Alex Ross; Variant cover by Daniel

Part 3 of "Batman R.I.P."! Batman's mysterious adversary has won. All is lost for the Dark Knight. Bruce Wayne is now deranged and dissociated, wandering homeless in the alleys of Gotham City. Is there a chance that Bruce can rebuild his Batman identity from scratch, or is this truly the end for one of the world's finest heroes?

On Sale June 25, 2008
BATMAN #679

Written by Grant Morrison; Art by Tony Daniel and Sandu Florea; Cover by Alex Ross; Variant Cover by Daniel

"Batman R.I.P." — Part 4! Robin and Damian team up — yes, you read that right — to search for the missing Batman. Meanwhile, the Club of Villains — The Hunchback, Pierrot Lunaire, King Kraken, Charlie Caligula, Scorpiana and El Sombrero — rampage through Gotham City! This incredible fourth chapter of "Batman R.I.P." ends with the surprising return of a character you never thought

On Sale July 23, 2008
BATMAN #680

Written by Grant Morrison; Art by Tony Daniel and Sandu Florea; Cover by Alex Ross; Variant Cover by Tony Daniel

It's "Batman R.I.P." part 5 – and this issue features two events so monumental that one comic can barely contain them! First, Batman faces off against The Club of Villains. Then, The Joker makes his stand, challenging the Dark Knight to the ultimate battle of wits. Will Batman survive either of these threats – or could this be the end of Gotham City's greatest hero?

On Sale August 27, 2008
BATMAN #681

Written by Grant Morrison ; Art by Tony Daniel and Sandu Florea; Cover by Alex Ross; Variant cover by Tony Daniel

This is it – "Batman R.I.P." concludes here! The final, heartrending confrontation between Bruce Wayne and Jezebel Jet. The final fate of The Dark Knight. And the horrifying and shocking truth behind the Black Glove. With The Joker, the Club of Villains, Robin, Damian, plus an ending you'll never see coming – this one has it all!

Batman | 40pg. | Color | $3.99 US

On Sale October 29, 2008

Story Thus Far...
As mentioned before, everything that's happened in Morrison's run thus far relates to "Batman R.I.P." somehow. In fact, Morrison's exact words were as follows:

Everything…the “Zur-En-Arrh” graffiti, the Joker prose story, the Club of Heroes…every detail that’s been in the book for the last couple of years is significant, everything is a clue to the grand design that’s unfolding.
So the question is, what's come before now? And while I can't provide a complete issue-by-issue, panel-by-panel breakdown of Morrison's run, I can give a general overview starting with #655 and hope that that helps.

Batman #655 "Batman & Son" - Grant Morrison's run on Batman starts with Gordon getting gassed by the Joker, who then gets shot in the face by a dying Batman imposter. And that's in the first five or six pages. Wow. It only gets more wild from there; the introduction of Jezebel Jet, ninja Man-Bats on the attack, Talia al Ghul returns and little Damian Wayne almost killing Robin for his father's love. Some crazy sh*t, but how will it tie into RIP?

Batman #659 "Grotesk" - written by John Ostrander, I'm fairly certain this storyline has squat to do with RIP. At least, I hope it doesn't; a forgettable revenge story starring the Russian mob, Japanese yakuza, and a disfigured villain/vigilante who burns his victims. Yawn.

Batman #663 "The Clown At Midnight" - and now for something completely different. Morrison returns with an unusual approach, telling this month's standalone story almost entirely in prose, with only a handful of illustrations. Someone is killing off members of Joker's old gang, and when Batman goes looking for answers he finds them at Arkham, where the Joker is being reborn...

Batman #664 "Three Ghosts of Batman" - remember Jezebel Jet? Well, she's back in this issue, and it looks like she's trying to get closer to Bruce Wayne. And not in the usual, bimbo-of-the-week "get into his pants, then his trust fund" way; she's actually taken an interest in him. That can't end well. Oh, and remember the fake Batman from Morrison's first issue? Yeah, well... it turns out he wasn't the only one; there's another imposter out there, and this one's killing prostitutes.

Batman #665 "The Black Casebook" - Batman's near-fatal encounter with the second imposter dredges up old memories of a long-forgotten case, of three visions of the Bat passed off as a hallucination but now undeniably real. As Batman races to meet Robin in a rematch against second imposter, he wonders about the connections between the fake Batmen, his strange visions... and the Gotham PD. All this, plus romance blooms between Bruce Wayne and Jezebel Jet, much to Talia's dismay.

Batman #666 "Batman in Bethlehem" - in the not too distant future, Damian Wayne is the Batman, following in his father's footsteps in a world that grows worse with each passing day. Feared by the public and at odds with Commissioner (Barbara) Gordon, Damian carries on the legacy of the Batman... and in this issue, he takes on a pretender to his throne -- the third Batman imposter, the so-called "Devil Batman."

Batman #667 "The Island of Mister Mayhew" - attending a meeting of the International Club of Heroes, Batman and Robin find themselves caught up in a murder mystery that ultimately could claim their own lives as well. After trapping them on a billionaire's private island, someone is killing off members of the Club, men inspired by Batman to don costumes and fight crime. Is the killer one of their own? How will they escape the island? And who is the mastermind behind this attack, the mysterious Black Glove?

Batman #670 "Lazarus Rising" - this issue serves as a prelude to the whole 'Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul' storyline, one of those crossover events spanning different Bat-related titles for several months. And since I didn't buy those other titles, I have no idea what went on outside of this series. All I know is it involved some new villain called the Sensei, Nanda Parbat, Talia and Damian, a mystical suit of Bat-armor, and (of course) the return of the Demon's Head. Someone else fill in the blanks.

Batman #672 "Space Medicine" - Bruce Wayne's night of basejumping for charity with Jezebel Jet is interrupted by the arrival of the third and most dangerous Batman imposter. The "Devil Batman" has come home to the Gotham PD, and taken Commissioner Gordan hostage to lure out the Dark Knight. Defeated, injured, and at the Devil's mercy, Batman goes on the ultimate mind trip as old memories come flooding back -- memories of Joe Chill, Bat-Mite, rituals in Nanda Parbat, isolation experiments, and origins of the three Batman imposters. Zur En Arrh.

Batman #675 "The Fiend with Nine Eyes" - where is the relationship between Bruce Wayne and Jezebel Jet headed next? On a dinner date with her would-be beau, Jezebel asks that very same question, and the answer received from her date is not to her liking. But before their romance can end in typical "Wayne Girl" fashion, something unexpected happens... something that changes Jezebel's view of Bruce entirely, and could ultimately change both their lives forever.

And now you're caught up. :D

News and Updates
Here's a sampling of news stories and links from Newsarama concerning Batman, Grant Morrison, DC and "Batman R.I.P." Scour them for clues at your liesure.

Talking Batman with Grant Morrison

Dan Didio on "Batman R.I.P."

NYCC '08: Dan Didio talks Batman R.I.P. with Mike Martz

NYCC '08: Dan Didio talks Batman R.I.P. and Trinity

NYCC '08: The Grant Morrison Panel

NYCC '08: DC Countdown to Final Crisis Panel

NYCC '08: DC Nation Panel

NYCC '08: DC's (final) Final Crisis Panel

ADDED 05/06/08 CBR All Star Grant Morrison II: Batman

ADDED 05/07/08 Newsarama's 5-page preview of Batman #676

ADDED 05/12/08 Newsarama talks Batman R.I.P. with Tony Daniel

ADDED 05/19/08 DC Comics August '08 Solicitations, Batman #680

ADDED 05/24/08 Comics Continuum preview of Batman #677

5z1x6x.jpg

My guess?
Barry Allen becomes the new Batman.
:O

Part 1 hits stands on May 14th!

MisterHero

Man all those years with Catwoman and Talia (and to some extant Wonder Woman :eek:) and his life is destroyed over this new woman.

Oh well I look forward to reading it.

Also I think Jason should be Batman. Dick is set as Nightwing and Tim is still a little young (plus if Tim isn't Batman, the dick Future Titans won't happen!).

They need to do something cool with Jason.

@ The buttons

Who's the guy in the upper left? Is that Hush?

Not a spoiler, but my thoughts.
I've always liked Nightwing. Not sure if I'd like to see him become Batman, or like to see him stay Nightwing because I like the character.

Tamanon

Banned
TToB = Hater

I actually like that Red Batman RIP button. And I honestly have no clue where Morrison is going with this. My guess would be that Batman and Bruce Wayne are actually separated somehow into the two distinct personalities, thus making Bruce Wayne listless and with no purpose and Batman a psycho.

teiresias

After the whole Heath Ledger thing I read the first part of the topic title and thought with horror that Christian Bale had died.

teiresias said:
After the whole Heath Ledger thing I read the first part of the topic title and thought with horror that Christian Bale had died.

christianbaleez2.jpg

If Christian bale is dead, that means that the universe ended weeks ago.

(S.T. to The Office)

Tamanon said:
TToB = Hater

Well duh! :p

If only all Batman crap were as good as Timm/Dini's animated series.

I really can't get into the new movies as they're far beyond the scope of Batman as a character. I prefer him very street level and toe-to-toe with his foes.

I should go back and watch the Tim Burton version again and see if it's as fucking annoying as Batman Begins. :X

FoneBone

Captain N said:
So what's really expected to happen? I can't see DC killing off Bruce Wayne for good.
Nobody's said that they will. But Morrison's said flat-out that he won't be batman as of the end.

edit: by what's been figured out, I mean who the villain is, not everything that happens. it's just speculation but it fits very well. it's a really, really iffy idea to me, though.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Not really.

Like most comics there are some highlights; but the bulk of it is shit. :\

Yeah, it's good to almost never listen to TTOB if you want a real opinion on comics.

Morrison's run has, for the most part, been fantastic.

But I am cautious about R.I.P. considering how much of a piece of shit The Ressurection of Ra's Al Ghul was last fall.

This is silly. Modern comic books do this crap all the time. Batman has already had so many different takes and versions. There will always be one universally recognized Batman and that's Bruce Wayne. I don't know what the big fuss is all about, comic books are dead. Today, superheroes are primarily in the movies.

miketrav87 said:
This is silly. Modern comic books do this crap all the time. Batman has already had so many different takes and versions. There will always be one universally recognized Batman and that's Bruce Wayne. I don't know what the big fuss is all about, comic books are dead. Today, superheroes are primarily in the movies.

Well problem is, in the DCU heroes are often mantles that are passed down from generation to generation. Sort of how there have been several Flashes, several Specters, etc.

It's about time for someone else to take up the Batmantle.

However I don't know if there's any other NAMBLA members in the DCU to handle the task. :\

Banned
miketrav87 said:
So how long have books been dead? 30 years?

I think it is funny that people are taking it literally thinking that Bruce is going to die.
I would say the oddest and least cliche way to do it is have Bruce just find peace for the first time in his life and leave with one of a couple of different possible females.
We have seen death time and time again and everyone knows that everyone comes back, we have seen the crippled thing, to have Bruce go nuts and get locked in Arkham would leave an unresolved thread which would have to be returned to later, same with Bruce wandering around the streets with amnesia.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Thanks for proving me right. :D

Actually, that proved you wrong.

You said "some highlights", implying only a few, not many.

I said it has been fantastic for the "most part", which is opposite of what you said.

GG SIR.

omg wrong said:
Actually, that proved you wrong.

You said "some highlights", implying only a few, not many.

I said it has been fantastic for the "most part", which is opposite of what you said.

GG SIR.

Out of 667 issues?

Yeah, averages are real off there.

Remains as I said. :D

JimiNutz

Banned
I know nothing about weekly comic books and have only ever read collections/graphic novels. How does it work? Will they collect the entire Morrison run into a couple of books or will they only collect the actual RIP issues into a single book?

Also does anybody have a list of all the available Batman collections? I want to start reading Batman but am a little overwhelmed. I know I should start at Year One, but what is the second book to read after this one? (I want to do it chronologically.)

I sure am hyped, finally all those three Batman ghosts will make sense and about damn time to.
Hope Zattana makes an appearance as well.

AniHawk

NutJobJim said:
I know nothing about weekly comic books and have only ever read collections/graphic novels. How does it work? Will they collect the entire Morrison run into a couple of books or will they only collect the actual RIP issues into a single book?

Also does anybody have a list of all the available Batman collections? I want to start reading Batman but am a little overwhelmed. I know I should start at Year One, but what is the second book to read after this one? (I want to do it chronologically.)

This is what I did:

Batman: Year One (actually, I read Dark Knight Returns first but you don't need to read that in order)
Batman: The Long Halloween (it's not canon. More of a retelling of the older stories)
Batman: Dark Victory (sequel to Long Halloween + a retold story of Dick Grayson becoming Robin)
The Killing Joke (not REALLY necessary, but it's the Joker's origin story, and it somewhat explains why Batman kinda went crazy during the last 20 years)
Batman: Hush (a bit of a guilty pleasure. Fans of the canon Batman stories dislike it because it retcons in some long lost childhood friend of Bruce's. I thought it was kinda fun though, and it should help you catch up with some of the characters, especially the different Robins)
Batman: Detective and Batman: Death and the City (Together they form an entire arc, with a couple single stories thrown in. Paul Dini is involved in this, and he was partly responsible for the animated series during the 90s)

I think those are the most entertaining stories. Again, Dark Knight Returns can be read in whichever order you want. That's pretty much where the modern Batman gets his personality from. There are some long arcs like Knightfall, No Man's Land, and War Games, but I don't think any of them were any good.

IF you're looking to collect all of the actual single issues as trades, I think the arcs went:

Knightfall -> No Man's Land -> Bruce Wayne: Fugitive -> Hush -> War Games -> Under the Hood -> Hush Returns -> Batman: R.I.P. -> Hush Forever -> Hush & Robin

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Sigh. At least we still have the whole animated Batman to fall back on... stupid DC writers wrecking more characters yet again...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I could care less about the the threat to change Batman forever, simply put I've enjoyed the Morrison Batman stories and so I look forward to this one.

I thought I read somewhere that
Hush
returns?

So while I think we may see some strong character changes in Bruce, the fact that the
Trinity
book is coming makes it seem unlikely that Wayne would give up Batman permanently.

I look at this as another Knightfall, except this break might seems to be a mental one as opposed to the physical break that occurred during that storyline.

pete914

Pardon my ignorance, as I haven't been into comic books in over a decade, but isn't this Nightfall all over again? What was that, 15 years ago when DC decided to "Kill" then "revive" their two main franchises- Superman and Batman- pretty much because Image and Marvel were starting to kick their asses sales wise and they needed a gimmick to boost things back up?

Not that it matters to me, but this reeks of Nightfall/Death of Superman- here comes lots of drama to get you to buy lots of comics...and everything will be restored to normal in two years.

YYZ

Not really.

Like most comics there are some highlights; but the bulk of it is shit. :\
I really like Batman and I bought a whole bunch of TPBs and started reading the best one (as recommended) called TDK Returns and I thought "Huh? What am I reading here?". I'll probably try to get back into it sometime this summer, but it was a bit of a letdown. I'll wait for the inevitably awesome anime and TDK. Maybe I'm not a comics person, the writing seemed very dumb to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom