• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Did Batman Kill The Joker At The End Of ‘The Killing Joke’?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

Maybe Batman just pinched a nerve and put Joker to sleep? :p

I lean toward Batman not killing Joker, but there's room for both interpretations.

I don't think so, iirc Gordon asked him specifically not to.

It's possible considering it wasn't originally meant for canon. Can't remember if Moore said anything about it.

I definitely read it as Batman killing The Joker.
The bridge of the light between the two, the light the symbolizes their stark difference, goes away as Batman finally gets his hands dirty.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
When I read this years ago, I always thought that Batman chokes the Joker at the end and that's why the laughter stops.

I had no idea that it was taken any other way.

I mean, I thought that Batman laughing along shows that he finally cracked. That he has indeed had enough of Joker's shit. And that's why it all goes quiet so fast.

I like to think that after Batman does the one thing he says he would never do, he either turns himself in to Gotham police or retire forever.

I'd like to think he went "Huh. Guess I don't have to worry about him anymore. Welp, back to work."

And what was the joke that make Batman laugh?.....

"See, there were these two guys in a lunatic asylum...and one night, one night they decide they don't like living in an asylum any more. They decide they're going to escape! So, like, they get up onto the roof and there, just across this narrow gap, they see the rooftops of the town, stretching away in the moonlight...stretching away to freedom. Now, the first guy, he jumps right across with no problem. But his friend, his friend daren't make the leap. Y'see...y'see, he's afraid of falling. So then, the first guy has an idea...He says 'Hey! I have my flashlight with me! I'll shine it across the gap between the buildings. You can walk along the beam and join me!' B-but the second guy just shakes his head. He suh-says... he says 'What do you think I am? Crazy? You'd turn it off when I was half way across!'"

When I read it the first time I figured he killed him within the comic's storyline but was alive in the Batman Universe.

When I listened to the audio reading of it I heard it as his being arrested and driven away because the laughter sort of faded away.

When I played Arkham knight
the Joker makes several comments relating back to his actions during the killing joke so I assume Rocksteady believes he is left alive.

I guess it just depends on how the reader interprets it, but that's why it's one of the best batman stroylines. Ambiguity is perfect after everything that happened to Gordon and Barbara

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Thats never been my interpretation. I always thought it was Batman nudging Joker on the shoulder like "thats a good one" Never once then or now does it look like Batman is breaking Joker's neck. The whole ending is after everything they went through and had been through, they had one moment of common ground, of understanding. For Batman to kill him then is beyond stupid.

Lunar15

I honestly think Moore's intention was to make it look as ambiguous as possible without actually knowing what happened. It makes the reader think about the events of the book and consider everything in order to determine for themselves what they think happened. Was Joker's actions enough to push him over the edge? Would it be enough to push you over the edge? What kind of killing is acceptible? What drives people mad?

He didn't necessarily have to know himself what happened.

Also: Fuck canon.

Dalek

No. This is just something people made up, like that theory about Cameron in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

miscellaneous-worms-can-tin-opening_a_can_of_worms-opening-jfa2492_low.jpg

No. Jim Gordon made it very clear to batman to not go over the edge and to bring him in by the book. The whole point was to show that one bad day can turn you insane, but Jim didn't go insane, he proved the joker wrong.

Pretty much how I viewed it. Batman killing Joker would only prove his point.

Also TKJ is so overrated. I don't even think it's the best Joker story.

I never thought that Batman killed the Joker, and I certainly didn't see a body. This strikes me as revisionist history.

I feel like at least half the people who say they always thought he killed him are full of shit. I had literally never seen that suggested before the Morrison interview. I'm sure some people really did think that, but not nearly as many as claim to.

I wished Alan Moore has chimed in on this.

I don't know what else there is to say since the script is out there and shows he doesn't kill him. It says they are leaning on each other laughing. The end.

I honestly think Moore's intention was to make it look as ambiguous as possible

I don't think this was his intention at all. Like Delta pointed out - this is like arguing John Hughes meant to make Cameron's existence ambiguous as possible throughout Ferris Bueller. The theory fits somewhat, and is a fun, interesting reading of the text, but to suggest it's actually the story being told can only be done if you're discarding huge chunks of the story as it's presented.

Again - it's only ambiguous if you a) remove the point of the story and b) have a very famous comics writer tell a very famous movie writer his entertaining theory on a very popular podcast.

Alienous

Nope

Joker's hand in the sixth panel, which would be when the Joker is beginning to get choked in the 'Batman kills Joker' fiction shows the Joker's hand relaxed. Not clenched, not reaching up to his own neck, just conversationally extended.

The seventh panel shows the Joker and Batman's feet planted on the ground. The Joker's feet aren't lifted, the aren't apart. They are relaxed, on the ground.

The idea that Batman strangles or snaps the Joker's neck has no basis in what you are actually shown in the panels. Batman places a hand on the Joker mid-laughter, but there's no evidence he does more than that.

hunnies28

If Batman killed the Joker then the Joker wins, that was the point of the whole book. That is why Gordon tells him to do it by the book.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i have not read the comic or any other batman comic for that matter but based on that single page in the op i'm going to say he killed him.

The joke is meant to draw parallels between Batmans and The Joker. They're both crazy people who dress up in wacky costumes to do commit some night time capers. Batman is on one side of the law while Joker is on the other. Batman wants to help the Joker,rehabilitate him, wants him to "see the light". In the joke the criminal who doesn't make the jump is untrustworthy, saying that he'll just plummet to his death by the hands of the man who is offering to help him. In the final scene of the comic there is a pillar of light between Joker and Batman that slowly gets thinner until it disappears, symbolizing Batman/the criminal on the other side of the jump cutting the light bridge off and killing the other criminal who was too afraid to make the jump.

Edit: There is also the sudden cut in laughter.

Log4Girlz

When I read it the first time I figured he killed him within the comic's storyline but was alive in the Batman Universe.

When I listened to the audio reading of it I heard it as his being arrested and driven away because the laughter sort of faded away.

When I played Arkham knight
the Joker makes several comments relating back to his actions during the killing joke so I assume Rocksteady believes he is left alive.

I guess it just depends on how the reader interprets it, but that's why it's one of the best batman stroylines. Ambiguity is perfect after everything that happened to Gordon and Barbara

Yeah the laughter trailing off at the end was meant to indicate he was arrested. How could anyone interpret it any differently.

Nope

Joker's hand in the sixth panel, which would be when the Joker is beginning to get choked in the 'Batman kills Joker' fiction shows the Joker's hand relaxed. Not clenched, not reaching up to his own neck, just conversationally extended.

The seventh panel shows the Joker and Batman's feet planted on the ground. The Joker's feet aren't lifted, the aren't apart. They are relaxed, on the ground.

The idea that Batman strangles or snaps the Joker's neck has no basis in what you are actually shown in the panels. Batman places a hand on the Joker mid-laughter, but there's no evidence he does more than that.

6th panel, the choking begins. His hand shoots out as he is startled. Next panel, his hand is falling, he's dying.

See, it works both ways.

Hagi

I always just took it as an old fashioned fade to black. They're laughing, police come, he gets arrested and the end.

6th panel, the choking begins. His hand shoots out as he is startled. Next panel, his hand is falling, he's dying.

See, it works both ways.

His hands stay in the same position from when Bruce grabs his shoulders though.

Alienous

See, it works both ways.

Batman's hand isn't on the Joker's neck in the fifth panel. It is placed against his shoulder or chest. His hand doesn't shoot out in the sixth panel.

Taken on its own, sure

But the part where it's canon within the greater DC universe kind of fucks that up.

Well I was always under the impression that a lot of Alan Moores work was kinda stand alone stuff and others would pick from it. But Im not the most avid comic book reader....

Batman's hand isn't on the Joker's neck in the fifth panel. It is placed against his shoulder or chest.

He's startled from the contact. Then he gets choked.

It's plain as day that he kills him. the fading into the darkness is the biggest giveaway. It's a metaphor for batman's descent into darkness himself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom