• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Did Batman Kill The Joker At The End Of ‘The Killing Joke’?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanderer5

I don't see it at all. It just looks like Batman places his hand on Joker's chest/shoulder and that it lol, far from looking like he choking him or such.

When I read it the first time, I just thought typical cut to black, he's back in Arkham Asylum.

Nowadays, I still think that. Batman didn't kill the Joker. And I realise, I didn't understand the Joke back in the day and I still don't. Can someone explain ? lol.

EGM1966

I've always taken it to be 100% ambiguous. Seems impossible to state definitively either way and screw continuity Moore clearly wrote this as a self contained separate tale. just because DC wove it in themselves doesn't invalidate the ambiguity of the piece on it's own.

Batman places his hands on his shoulders, dangerously near his throat. They laugh together. Then the laughter seems to stop but we don't see why. Could Batman have shared a last laugh with Joker then decided to end him? Sure. Could he simply take Joker into custody and the laughter stops as Batman turns Joker and steers him towards incarceration? Sure.

It ends on a knife edge and leaves the reader there. I like it even though I know many always want to find a definitive definition.

Myself I still think they're stuck there, trapped in a quantum moment of shared madness at their condition and what it's led to up to that point together in the rain.

hal9001

Banned
When I first read it that was what I thought was well. Batman finally crossed the line. However it was always meant to be ambiguous and up to the viewer. Think inception spinning top. It could be either way depending on your inclination.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i've never read The Killing Joke, but looking at those panels, i would definitely interpret it as him killing The Joker

presumably at the very least it was intended to be ambiguous

JDMC13

Thats never been my interpretation. I always thought it was Batman nudging Joker on the shoulder like "thats a good one" Never once then or now does it look like Batman is breaking Joker's neck. The whole ending is after everything they went through and had been through, they had one moment of common ground, of understanding. For Batman to kill him then is beyond stupid.

I always took it as this. From my perspective, it's about de-escalation. Joker went this far in this book, because he felt that no one understood that he had a bad day and has never been able to recover for that. As terrible as everything he did was, this was all part of a cry for help, for understanding. This was Batman, for once in his long career, showing some amount of sympathy. In Batman's mind, it is giving the Joker the two things he wants so badly: to see a crack in the Dark Knight's shell and feel like someone, anyone understands him. Batman following Gordon's advice found another way. This wouldn't save the Joker or even spare future victims, but this small (or big, depending) act of compassion could at least bring the Joker some semblance of peace. This would ensure future crimes would be less heinous, as they would be acts of psychosis rather than desperation.

Alienous

When I read it the first time, I just thought typical cut to black, he's back in Arkham Asylum.

Nowadays, I still think that. Batman didn't kill the Joker. And I realise, I didn't understand the Joke back in the day and I still don't. Can someone explain ? lol.

The joke is about two insane guys (representing Batman and the Joker). They decide that they are going to escape the asylum they are being held in (joining normality). The only thing stopping them is a jump across a "narrow gap". The first guy, representing Batman, jumps across easily. The second guy, representing the Joker, is too afraid that he won't make the jump (he doesn't believe he will ever get to normality).

So the first guy offers to shine a beam of light across the gap for the second guy to walk on (something that can't be done; the offer Batman is making for help is impossible). But the final line, "You'd turn it off when I was half way across!", shows that the impossibility isn't what bothers the second guy (the Joker), but the fact that he believes the first guy (Batman) wouldn't actually help him all the way across, but instead purposefully send him plummeting (back to insanity).

So Batman laughs, realizing that there is no peaceful resolution to his conflict with the Joker.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I don't recall the Joker dying in TDKR, unless this is some sort of Heath Ledger joke.

NM: Forgot about the Frank Miller GN

What makes that moment work and what makes it disturbing and weird and poignant is them sharing that laugh after everything that's happened. It's an acknowledgement of a fundamental aspect of absurdity inherent in human existence. That the notion of good vs evil may be all bullshit - or seem like it at times.

It's not an unfamiliar theme in Moore's work - the symbolism of the smiley face in Watchmen is exploring a similar idea.

When I first read it as a kid I "got" that moment, even though I couldn't really explain it. I never thought he killed the Joker.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
What makes that moment work and what makes it disturbing and weird and poignant is them sharing that laugh after everything that's happened. It's an acknowledgement of a fundamental aspect of absurdity inherent in human existence. That the notion of good vs evil may be all bullshit - or seem like it at times.

It's not an unfamiliar theme in Moore's work - the symbolism of the smiley face in Watchmen is exploring a similar idea.

When I first read it as a kid I "got" that moment, even though I couldn't really explain it. I never thought he killed the Joker.

Right. The joke is the how the first inmate is completely oblivious to his own safety, let alone that defying gravity and physics is no concern, but trust another person? Lol, nope.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Those in the camp saying he killed Joker they seem to be forgetting the page right before the joke:
FmIFjMY.jpg

"See, there were these two guys in a lunatic asylum...and one night, one night they decide they don't like living in an asylum any more. They decide they're going to escape! So, like, they get up onto the roof and there, just across this narrow gap, they see the rooftops of the town, stretching away in the moonlight...stretching away to freedom. Now, the first guy, he jumps right across with no problem. But his friend, his friend daren't make the leap. Y'see...y'see, he's afraid of falling. So then, the first guy has an idea...He says 'Hey! I have my flashlight with me! I'll shine it across the gap between the buildings. You can walk along the beam and join me!' B-but the second guy just shakes his head. He suh-says... he says 'What do you think I am? Crazy? You'd turn it off when I was half way across!'"

Ophelion

Those in the camp saying he killed Joker they seem to be forgetting the page right before the joke:

I so rarely get to call this going this direction but: Alan Moore does know that Batman is American, right?

Batman saying "sort this blood mess out" and "needn't". SMH. C'mon, Moore. Americans do not talk like that. Not even an old money east coast socialite like Bruce Wayne. Certainly not in 1988. If it wasn't Alan Moore writing, Editorial would be all over that shit.

Why does Alan Moore hate comics even though he's written some of the best ones (that he also doesn't like)? Is it more of a criticism on the state of the comics industry or what?

The line he's stuck to over these years is basically his comics are as good as it ever got and everyone else has just been infinitely ripping him off ever since. More or less.

Toa TAK

Banned
Why does Alan Moore hate comics even though he's written some of the best ones (that he also doesn't like)? Is it more of a criticism on the state of the comics industry or what?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So basically the Joker doesn't want to trust Batman?

The Joker doesn't feel he can trust anyone, not even himself. Also remember that to the Joker, Batman is who Bruce Wayne really is, the secret identity means nothing, other than opportunities to cause Batman strife.

How does that go against the theory? Batman's telling Joker that this was his last chance to accept help and he responds by saying that's an impossibility. Given the story's meant to be outside of cannon it makes sense that it ends with Batman killing Joker after he just gave him that ultimatum.

By the way-this is in my opinion-the definitive version of The Joker.

I remember reading that Brian Bolland spent two years of his life drawing the Killing Joke, and it shows.

It's certainly some of the most iconic Batman art ever and probably the most definitive portrayal ever of the Joker.

Sephzilla

The impression I get is that he views himself as above the industry and that his stuff is untouchable

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Cameron is crazy. Ferris is a personality Cameron invented to cope with his shitty life.

Thats interesting. I've seen that movie so many times but it was only a couple of years ago that I realized Ferris Buehler wasn't a teenager, or at least his POV, his perspective is not one of a teenager.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

but does he? I don't remember reading anything like that. Detractors overblowing things as usual

MC Safety

He doesn't hate comics as he continues to write them.

There are aspects of the comic industry he dislikes. Most recently I believe he railed about comics being the snake eating its own tail.

oti

Banned
I've read this, Year One and The Long Halloween. Loved all of them. Anything else I should read? Doesn't have to be Batman.

Chariot

The Miyazaki gif fits far better for Moore. He really dislikes where comics went. He also dislikes adaptions of his work. And every work that sprngs from his work. He dislikes a lot of things actually.

He both did and didn't. Ask yourself what's more upsetting to you personally; the idea that The Joker is going to keep murdering people because Batman won't kill him, or that he could drive the world's most incorruptible symbol of justice to break his single biggest rule?

Answer that and that's the answer.

sangreal

I never read this book and don't know the history but from the images and script in the OP I don't see any way to interpret it as batman killing the joker

I did come into this thread assuming the opposite considering the title. The posts advocating the idea that batman killed him are very unconvincing though
For me it's the vanishing laughing sound. It stops, but the sirens is still there. In the second to last panel the car stops, thus the siren going out and the light gets out.

The light doesn't go out, the last panels are just zooming in until you don't see anything but the dark part of the puddle -- it's described this way in the script

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Super old news, but, no, he didn't.
Batman Didn't Kill the Joker

Unless he leaned on him to death.

Honestly, Joker's done FAR worse than just cripple Barbara and mess with Gordon. If Batman was ever going to kill the Joker, it would have been during a different story...
2715467772_fc851a03fe.jpg

I couldn't understand this manga until I realized its read from left-to-right instead of how one would normally read manga. But seriously, the art is awful and the story doesn't seem very good. You can't even see the bat men in any of the panels. One really does need a deep sense of honor to do art.

I do think its a testament to hunger we or foreign land has for art that such a nuanced and obvious detail is argued about. If anyone is interested in seeing my Manga reading list, just IM me. I would have posted my signature image with the info but I heard GAF frowns on quality topical images of that variety :(

oti

Banned
I couldn't understand this manga until I realized its read from left-to-right instead of how one would normally read manga. But seriously, the art is awful and the story doesn't seem very good. You can't even see the bat men in any of the panels. One really does need a deep sense of honor to do art.

I do think its a testament to hunger we or foreign land has for art that such a nuanced and obvious detail is argued about. If anyone is interested in seeing my Manga reading list, just IM me. I would have posted my signature image with the info but I heard GAF frowns on quality topical images of that variety :(

hipbabboom
Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

The Batman Chronicles #5, Oracle: Year One.

Considers the fallout of that night from Bab's point of view and sets her up as Oracle.

I always hate how these big character shifts end up outside of the main comic lines. They never end up collected. Where my DC all access at.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
How does that go against the theory? Batman's telling Joker that this was his last chance to accept help and he responds by saying that's an impossibility. Given the story's meant to be outside of cannon it makes sense that it ends with Batman killing Joker after he just gave him that ultimatum.
First he's speculating by saying "maybe this is our last chance" and when he says that they're locked onto a suicide course he's just affirming that he'll work to stop Joker until the day they both die. It doesn't make sense that just because Joker says it's an impossibility that Batman would now decide "fuck it, I'm gonna kill him." Killing Joke is partly about who these two characters are and it showcases that they will not err in their ways no matter the circumstance. For Batman it was Barbara being crippled and having nude photos taken of her, for Joker it was his very rival offering him an out.

First he's speculating by saying "maybe this is our last chance" and when he says that they're locked onto a suicide course he's just affirming that he'll work to stop Joker until the day they both die. It doesn't make sense that just because Joker says it's an impossibility that Batman would now decide "fuck it, I'm gonna kill him." Killing Joke is partly about who these two characters are and it showcases that they will not err in their ways no matter the circumstance. For Batman it was Barbara being crippled and having nude photos taken of her, for Joker it was his very rival offering him an out.

He kills him and then commits suicide, hence the empty last panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom