• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman R.I.P.: an Official Thread for Speculation, Discussion, and "OMGWTF" Hysteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
omg rite said:
I'd honestly be disappointed if he finally made that hard decision and ended up only wounding him and dying because of it. Now THAT would feel cheap.

I have no problem with him actually using a gun. Morrison's reasoning in the Wizard interview made great sense.

He didn't kill him. It's clear that the Flashes will use Black Racer to deliver the finishing blow, but by that point Checkmate will have crossed The Bulk and that will be the least of their worries.

So Batman "got better" from the events of Batman R.I.P, right? And then before he could let any of his buddies know, he gets called off to JLA and gets kidnapped and put into that brain thingy, right?

So everyone in Gotham thought he was dead (from R.I.P.'s events), never knew he wasn't dead, and now he's really dead and they don't know the better?

Recon

Banned
straydog1980 said:
sooooooooooooooooooooooo is this comic going to be worth some change? I got two copies today (each cover).

Probably not. The Death of Captain America issue is not even going for much anymore, i dont see why this would.

So as per the end of Final Crisis #7, the official end to the Batman RIP arc, not the series looks to be...
Bruce is currently on Earth 51, in the stone age, but in general, he will die and be "re-born" on each Earth until he finally manages to get back to Earth 0, or until someone goes and gets him and brings him back.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
ToyMachine228 said:
So as per the end of Final Crisis #7, the official end to the Batman RIP arc, not the series looks to be...
Bruce is currently on Earth 51, in the stone age, but in general, he will die and be "re-born" on each Earth until he finally manages to get back to Earth 0, or until someone goes and gets him and brings him back.
From the sounds of the end of FC #7
parallel universes are no longer a secret, so it's only a matter of time.

aparisi2274

Sorry for the Bump on this thread, I know its over 9 mos old, but I was always interested in reading this story arc, but didnt feel like reading all the side stories and what not...

Anyway, I see that they came out with a hardcover trade

514Ysa2vmBL._SS500_.jpg

So, is it worth it?

aparisi2274 said:
So, is it worth it?

I think so. It's a freaking great arc, and a really solid book to have in your collection. The art is amazing, the story of the whole thing is great...I would absolutely recommend it. I bought the issues individually AND the trade, which I almost never do.

aparisi2274 said:
So, is it worth it?

Yes and no - yes, because it's awesome with a ton of mind-expanding creative ideas , but reading it you'll get the impression that the real ending was rewritten and moved into Final Crisis.

mosaic

go eat paint
I've been tempted to buy the RIP trade, but it apparently doesn't contain the conclusion to the story... what sorta cock block is that?

mosaic

go eat paint
Also, comic followers... should I pick up Batman: No Man's Land? It looks like I'd have to buy six volumes to get the whole story. I'm up for it, if it's good stuff.

ZeoVGM

Banned
aparisi2274 said:
Sorry for the Bump on this thread, I know its over 9 mos old, but I was always interested in reading this story arc, but didnt feel like reading all the side stories and what not...

Anyway, I see that they came out with a hardcover trade

514Ysa2vmBL._SS500_.jpg

So, is it worth it?

It's worth trying out for yourself, but I thought the whole arc was a mess. A somewhat enjoyable mess, I guess. But you're forced to read Final Crisis for the true ending, and that was just a mess without any sense of fun.

omg rite said:
It's worth trying out for yourself, but I thought the whole arc was a mess. A somewhat enjoyable mess, I guess. But you're forced to read Final Crisis for the true ending, and that was just a mess without any sense of fun.

Let me sum up my opinion. I ABSOLUTELY recommend Batman RIP. I think it's an freaking awesome arc. As some have mentioned in this thread, the literal "Batman RIP" doesn't come in until the end of Final Crisis, but that doesn't take away from the Batman RIP arc at all. It's all about Bruce being pushed to his limits in every way imaginable, and I think it's amazingly enjoyable.

DihcarEM

Prime crotch said:
Sups looked like he was gonna splinter the Earth in two before saving the multiverse

How did WonderWoman react? I thought the three of them were really close and like the pillars of DC.
Is Superman the only one of the heroes(not from the Batman-verse) that is anguished with
Batman's death?

Guys, I'm sorry to bump this but I have a question. I'm late to the morrison run's party... I've read "Batman and son", "The Black Glove", and now I'm starting "Batman R.I.P". My question is simple : what should I read next ? Paperbacks I mean. Should I start Batman & Robin ("Reborn") right after ? Gaiman's story-arc ? Battle for the cowl ? Of course I just want to read the good stuff (skipped the ressurection of Ra's'Al'Ghul because of that). Thanks guys.

LordPhoque said:
Guys, I'm sorry to bump this but I have a question. I'm late to the morrison run's party... I've read "Batman and son", "The Black Glove", and now I'm starting "Batman R.I.P". My question is simple : what should I read next ? Paperbacks I mean. Should I start Batman & Robin ("Reborn") right after ? Gaiman's story-arc ? Battle for the cowl ? Of course I just want to read the good stuff (skipped the ressurection of Ra's'Al'Ghul because of that). Thanks guys.

Gaiman's story is kind of a side-thing, it's not really part of the continuity. After RIP the next part of the story is Final Crisis, it's good though it's not strictly a Batman story and the sequence of events made little sense until Morrison wrote an issue explaining it two years later. Battle for the Cowl sucks, just skip it. All you need to know is
Dick Grayson takes over as Batman.
Or you could just go straight to Batman & Robin after RIP, it's amazing.

So the actual reading order is:

RIP
Final Crisis
Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?
Battle for the Cowl
Batman & Robin

Thanks :) I heard Final Crisis was kind of a mess, is it true ? Is it hard to understand if you haven't read all the "countdown" ?

LordPhoque said:
Thanks :) I heard Final Crisis was kind of a mess, is it true ? Is it hard to understand if you haven't read all the "countdown" ?

I thought Final Crisis was awesome. One of the better universe wide events I've read.

Oh and spoilers for those who are way late on this...
Bruce Wayne is coming back now. I haven't read any comics since around the first arc of Batman & Robin, but I do know the return of Bruce Wayne is happening right now.

ultron87

LiveFromKyoto said:
After RIP the next part of the story is Final Crisis, it's good though it's not strictly a Batman story and the sequence of events made little sense until Morrison wrote an issue explaining it two years later.

What's this now? Was it explaining Final Crisis or just the stuff that happened to Bruce?

LordPhoque said:

Haha. From how he writes FC you'd think that Grant Morrision didn't even read all of Countdown before he started Final Crisis, so you'll probably be fine. And Countdown is abysmal anyway, so you're better off staying away.

I personally really liked FC though it is certainly a bit off the wall.

LordPhoque said:

Final Crisis is very divisive and has quite a few haters; much of the negativity it gets is founded on legitimate criticisms (some plot points aren't explained clearly enough; Morrison's hyper-dense, plot-driven storytelling leaves no real room for most of the storylines to breathe), but much of it is also simply because it doesn't conform to the standard superhero-crossover "CHANGE THE UNIVERSE FOREVER" style that many DCU readers expected from a book with Crisis in the title.

I found it to be flawed but brilliant. Love it.

But whatever you do, do not read Countdown. Not only is it a terrible comic on its own merits, but it was so poorly coordinated with Final Crisis that FC actually makes less sense if you read it first.

LordPhoque said:
Okay, I'll start Final Crisis when I finish R.I.P then. Thanks guys !

Skip the last two issues in the RIP collection for now, and read them in between Final Crisis #4 and #5. They'll be less confusing that way, trust me.

LordPhoque said:

Final Crisis is definitely a challenging read as event comics go, but it's a pretty cool story. Countdown turned out to be the mess - it was written after FC had already gone into production (FC was drawn by a guy who's usually a cover artist and had to start like a year in advance because his stuff is really detailed) but they didn't have access to the full script so it contradicted a bunch of stuff in FC, so they just kind of threw it out (which is okay, it's pretty much universally agreed that Countdown sucked balls anyway).

ultron87 said:
What's this now? Was it explaining Final Crisis or just the stuff that happened to Bruce?

Batman #701, the most recent issue. It details what happens in the gap between the climax of RIP and issue #6 of Final Crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom