• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman > Superman: Dawn of Justice |OT| Enter the Knightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

That's not what I mean when I say justify. Justifying your opinion as in explaining it is cool, justifying by offering some sort of reason that subtly hints that the other side is biased in some sort of way, which is what I see plenty of in a ton of BvS threads, is not so cool. "I enjoyed BvS, because I like variety in movies!" kind of passive-aggressive comments is what I'm talking about.

I mean, sure, I was generalizing when I said each and every time, but holy hell does it happen frequently. You're in general agreement when the overall sentiment though, yes? That this sort of attitude is prevalent and shouldn't be?

You seem way too focused on talking down someone who seemed genuinely happy to have enjoyed a film and surprised that people were so negative on it. There has been plenty of stuff that's way more toxic with regards to BvS, like people who dislike it going out of their way to suggest that those who like it have mental illnesses, or that people who enjoy it simply don't understand the real characters of Batman and Superman, etc. You know what I don't like, I don't like bullies.

You seem way too focused on talking down someone who seemed genuinely happy to have enjoyed a film and surprised that people were so negative on it. There has been plenty of stuff that's way more toxic with regards to BvS, like people who dislike it going out of their way to suggest that those who like it have mental illnesses, or that people who enjoy it simply don't understand the real characters of Batman and Superman, etc. You know what I don't like, I don't like bullies.

Honestly, I've seen that 'mental illness' quote exactly once, and I'm pretty sure it's the same as the one you're talking about. It's not nearly as common as you believe.

Yeah, talking down people who enjoyed the movie and fans snidely insinuating people who didn't like it are a) biased with Marvel, b) hate Snyder, c) didn't understand it, d) like 'popcorn films' too much, e) didn't see the movie actually, etc., - those are both issues. And they're both bad. I'm just pointing out something that I think needs to be pointed out, that hasn't been too often until now.

duckroll

Honestly, I've seen that 'mental illness' quote exactly once, and I'm pretty sure it's the same as the one you're talking about. It's not nearly as common as you believe.

I've seen it several times phrased in various different ways by different people since before the movie was even released. I can assure you that people who think that anyone who likes the movie is "insane" is not uncommon at all. But thanks for continuing to be condescension, it sure helps your argument.

I've seen it several times phrased in various different ways by different people since before the movie was even released. I can assure you that people who think that anyone who likes the movie is "insane" is not uncommon at all. But thanks for continuing to be condescension, it sure helps your argument.

Where am I being condescending? I think you're misreading how I'm coming across, if the impression was condescending, I'm sorry.

Was that the guy who said something along the lines of liking BvS means you support Trump? That was a keeper.

Hahahaha that can't be real.

No doubt. I am very lukewarm on this movie. If even that, but I've noticed a contingent of dorks who seem to outright insult anybody who like it. And also the WOAT comment that boils down to "if you're a fan then you don't get the characters"

Nerds are too precious about these comic IPs

Of course you get the opposite with some people who like it feeling the need to shit on marvel to bolster their argument for some reason. And so this yeezus dude should perhaps acknowledge that it is clearly a 2 way street

gerudoman

Man this felt like the movie equivalent of Okami, right when you think it was over it would go on and on and on... It's like it refused to end. Exhausting.

bill0527

Finally saw this movie last night at a drive-in. 4 bucks why not.

I stayed away guys.. I was warned. I did not care for Snyder's depiction of Superman in Man of Steel so I was in no rush to see this movie, despite the fact comic book movies are my favorite genre and I see most of them on opening weekend.

I don't even know where to begin. This movie had brief flashes of brilliance. When Supes and Bats went at it I thought to myself...ok the back end of this movie is going to be great and I just had to slog through this swamp of shit to get to it..and I think I can be ok with that.

Until... kryptonite spear. Just this one scene alone ruins everything. The entire movie. Superman..can be damn near crippled with a dust version of kryptonite, but somehow he can fly a kryptonite spear made from a huge chunk of pure kryptonite right into the heart of his enemy. Wow...just fucking wow. I'm stunned that Warner Bros could somehow screw this movie up so badly.

That said, Affleck was a pretty damn good Batman. I actually buy his depiction of Batman and that version of the character much more so than I do Cavil as Supes. I don't get this version of Superman at all.. completely joyless and humorless. Why does he always look so angry and confused?

IconGrist

Finally saw this movie last night at a drive-in. 4 bucks why not.

I stayed away guys.. I was warned. I did not care for Snyder's depiction of Superman in Man of Steel so I was in no rush to see this movie, despite the fact comic book movies are my favorite genre and I see most of them on opening weekend.

I don't even know where to begin. This movie had brief flashes of brilliance. When Supes and Bats went at it I thought to myself...ok the back end of this movie is going to be great and I just had to slog through this swamp of shit to get to it..and I think I can be ok with that.

Until... kryptonite spear. Just this one scene alone ruins everything. The entire movie. Superman..can be damn near crippled with a dust version of kryptonite, but somehow he can fly a kryptonite spear made from a huge chunk of pure kryptonite right into the heart of his enemy. Wow...just fucking wow. I'm stunned that Warner Bros could somehow screw this movie up so badly.

That said, Affleck was a pretty damn good Batman. I actually buy his depiction of Batman and that version of the character much more so than I do Cavil as Supes. I don't get this version of Superman at all.. completely joyless and humorless. Why does he always look so angry and confused?

As far as kryptonite goes there's never been any sort of consistency as to how it effects him. Sometimes the smallest amount can be lethal, other times it's just a minor annoyance. However, there is some sense that kryptonite in the form of a gas he breathes in would be way more toxic him to him than just the radiation.

As for angry and confused I mean it's all explained in the movie. He hasn't quite figured out the hero thing yet but he does what he thinks is right and the world's authority figures are telling him to stop getting involved. Especially since he's making mistakes. If you do something good and you get called an asshole for it repeatedly by people that you would think should be appreciative of your efforts that's probably going to bother you. Then you got Lex in the background setting up these instances to make him look bad.

I can explain these things all day but in the end if you didn't like the movie then you didn't like the movie so it really doesn't matter.

13263862_1026373027444564_1179289843408097203_n.jpg

Korey

Just saw this.

Man...the characters in this movie are just so fucking shitty. Their motivations don't make any sense. Their actions don't make any sense.

Batman wants more than anything to murder Superman because.........??? Because he has a 1% chance to turn evil at some point? He spends the entire movie working towards killing him, actually manages to pull it off somehow, and then just before the killing blow does a complete 360 when he finds their moms have the same name......ROFL.

Superman. His mom is safe. The villain who threw your gf off a skyscraper and kidnapped, tortured, and attempted to execute your mom is standing right in front of you. Doesn't do anything about it. Instead, watches as Lex walks around talking and then activates Doomsday.

Wonder Woman. You couldn't decrypt the stolen data so you returned it to Bruce for some reason? Probably because they reshot some scenes to shoehorn you into the movie when the outcome is the same.

Lex Luthor...who the fuck are you again? Why do you want to kill Superman again? You're the only one smart enough to activate Zod's spaceship using his fingerprints? How the fuck did you know you could use Zod's corpse and your blood to create a megamonster in the spaceship? I thought the senator blocked your import of the kryptonite? So many questions.....jesus.

How many times did Superman "die" in this movie? Like three times...fighting Batman, getting nuked in space, then at the end. Got so fucking old. The ending with the cliche as fuck he's totally dead with a "WINK WINK MAYBE NOT!!" at the last frame is lame as hell when everyone in the audience knows he's not and this exact thing has been done in countless films before.

Also...Lex makes a big deal about Bruce Wayne never visiting Metropolis when A) he owns a building there, and B) Gotham is right next to it. wtf

How do they know superman is dead without a body?

Superman. His mom is safe. The villain who threw your gf off a skyscraper and kidnapped, tortured, and attempted to execute your mom is standing right in front of you. Doesn't do anything about it. Instead, watches as Lex walks around talking and then activates Doomsday.

Doing something about it, such as killing Luthor, would have meant his mom's death.

Wonder Woman. You couldn't decrypt the stolen data so you returned it to Bruce for some reason? Probably because they reshot some scenes to shoehorn you into the movie when the outcome is the same.

She returned the data because she knew Bruce could decrypt it.

Also, I don't think they reshot some scenes to include her.

Lex Luthor...who the fuck are you again? Why do you want to kill Superman again? You're the only one smart enough to activate Zod's spaceship using his fingerprints? How the fuck did you know you could use Zod's corpse and your blood to create a megamonster in the spaceship? I thought the senator blocked your import of the kryptonite? So many questions.....jesus.

Luthor was abused by his dad when he was young, so he started believing that either God exists and isn't all powerful or all good, or that God doesn't exist, because if God did exist and was all-powerful and all-good then he would have prevented his father from abusing him. Superman appears and is pretty much a god among men. Some men start believing that he is God. So Luthor wants to kill Superman to prove that he is not God, or have Superman fall from grace by killing his mom and prove that he is not all-good.

Luthor knew how to create a monster because the ship's AI taught him. The camera focuses on him intently as he says something like "Please teach me everything".

Luthor illegally imported the Kryptonite with the aid of his black-ops crew. The whole fight scene at the docks with Batman in his batmobile was about that.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Batman wants more than anything to murder Superman because.........??? Because he has a 1% chance to turn evil at some point? He spends the entire movie working towards killing him, actually manages to pull it off somehow, and then just before the killing blow does a complete 360 when he finds their moms have the same name......ROFL.

let me remind you that neogaf has banboy fanboyism up to eleven that they'd think this is a good character trait

looking back at the thread, I was the only person who thought supes was better than bats in the movie

How many times did Superman "die" in this movie? Like three times...fighting Batman, getting nuked in space, then at the end. Got so fucking old. The ending with the cliche as fuck he's totally dead with a "WINK WINK MAYBE NOT!!" at the last frame is lame as hell when everyone in the audience knows he's not and this exact thing has been done in countless films before.
He didn't die fighting Batman tho, so he only died twice in the film.

How do they know superman is dead without a body?
They know there's a body. It's Clark Kent. They decided to bury an empty casket instead and let Clark Kent be buried in his hometown. I think anyone can infer that.

you would think the world's greatest detective would have looked into the whole Africa incident, maybe found Lex's bullet, exposed the corruption, figured out Superman was being manipulated.

but no, Lois does all that. cos apparently a news reporter has more resources than the millionare world's greatest detective.

eh, why would Batman care about that whole incident? it's not like it was a huge deal they were going to make a federal case out of, it's not like he was obsessively looking into Superman at the time..... oh wait....

so instead of going to the scene of a very public Superman-related crime Batman mostly sit at home and gets mad at the TV.

Bleepey

you would think the world's greatest detective would have looked into the whole Africa incident, maybe found Lex's bullet, exposed the corruption, figured out Superman was being manipulated.

but no, Lois does all that. cos apparently a news reporter has more resources than the millionare world's greatest detective.

eh, why would Batman care about that whole incident? it's not like it was a huge deal they were going to make a federal case out of, it's not like he was obsessively looking into Superman at the time..... oh wait....

so instead of going to the scene of a very public Superman-related crime Batman mostly sit at home and gets mad at the TV.

I find it weird people are like, why didn't Batman know it was a stitch up. Let's see:

1) he doesn't like Superman after the collateral damage in MoS
2) the press shat on Superman because it was thought his actions lead to collateral damage villagers being attacked. The former is evidenced by the fact that was what the media was reporting it as as said by Swanwick as well as the "eye witness" African woman's confession. Why would he investigate further when he already doesn't like him and all evidence points to him either being either directly involved or his actions having unforeseen consequences?

3) the only other witness to the incident is a woman who has been shown to be quite biased in Superman's favour in the press. Again this is what Swanwick thought and said.

4) the conspicuous bullets were designed to have all roads lead to the govt and force them to participate in the frame up as well as test them. The US govt won't want to admit it was a frame up because why would they want it to leak that someone who has been commissioned to develop arms for them has been involved in the slaughter of innocent people. Again Swanwick said this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom