• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Batman v Superman' Fallout: Warner Bros. Shakes Up Executive Roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienous

A movie combining 3 of the most recognizable IPs from the last 60 years can't make a billion dollars?

Snyder put Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman on the movie screen together for the first time and made a dud film.

That is a feat I don't think he gets enough credit for.

Bleepey

I actually LIKE Watchmen, but I'm not going to say it did any of this.

I read Zack Snyder's interviews and I'm pretty sure I know why he liked Watchmen and his approach to the material in the film is sincere... but he missed the point.

And that's the main problem with Zack Snyder; he can reference a comic like nobody's business and translate a page to screen like nobody else can, but it's always a superficial imitation. All the style, none of the substance. He puts what he thinks "looks cool" in the film without understanding there was more going on in those stories and panels than simply "looking cool".

He confuses "referencing" for merit, just like how a film like Meet the Spartans confuses "referencing" material for "humor".

Well, for starters...

His intro to Watchmen is probably not only one of the greatest intros in cinema, but it also set the pace and gave great backstory for the film without saying a word. What ways did he miss the point?

Garlador

Snyder put Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman on the movie screen together for the first time and made a dud film.

That is a feat I don't think he gets enough credit for.
You have to work HARD to screw it up. Like, actively plot for months like you're Lex Luthor himself planning to take down Superman, and do everything in your power to somehow make a film with the three most beloved DC heroes of all time that span nearly a century of great lore with proven successes that resonated with millions of people across generations in an era that's more accepting and hungry for good comic book movies than ever before and somehow screw it all up.

And yet here we are. With an R-rated Deadpool film beating it at the domestic box office.

But somehow not a flop

Can we put an end to this?

Oxford Dictionary time.

"Flop" (n) - informal. A total disaster.

"Total disaster" is relative, of course. To budget? Perhaps not a flop. To expectations? Oh, totally. To public mindshare? Even more so. It wasn't a financial flop, but as a film it was a flop - a total and complete failure of putting the three most popular DC heroes in the world and making a worthwhile movie out of them, possibly outright damaging the brand (at least regarding Superman) and hurting interest and acceptance of future movies.

His intro to Watchmen is probably not only one of the greatest intros in cinema, but it also set the pace and gave great backstory for the film without saying a word. What ways did he miss the point?
The Watchmen intro is good. Never did I say Watchmen was ENTIRELY irredeemable. I said I even liked the film.

But that's just ONE SCENE. The best scene in the film, I would say, and it plays to his strengths as a visual director. But that doesn't make the rest of the film work just because he pulled one thing off well.

BvS has great scenes too. They're just offset by more bad ones. Heck, even Sucker Punch has moments that, visually, really are impressive and well done. It doesn't make the REST of the film any better, though. It has to come together as a cohesive whole, and Snyder routinely fails to make that happen.

Can we put an end to this?

Oxford Dictionary time.

"Flop" (n) - informal. A total disaster.

"Total disaster" is relative, of course. To budget? Perhaps not a flop. To expectations? Oh, totally. To public mindshare? Even more so. It wasn't a financial flop, but as a film it was a flop - a total and complete failure of putting the three most popular DC heroes in the world and making a worthwhile movie out of them, possibly outright damaging the brand (at least regarding Superman) and hurting interest and acceptance of future movies.
And I'm sure WB's just thrilled that they manage to break even on what supposed to be DC's avengers

Bleepey

Exactly this sort of thing. Maybe even classic TV stuff, like the Twilight Zone. I get why maybe for a film with a huge budget, references to like, Doc Savage might not work so great (though Lovecraft would probably work). But they could've at least tried to translate that aspect of Watchmen to film somehow. The point of that story wasn't "superheroes -- but for adults!"

That was the best part of the film, and I can't say I didn't enjoy seeing him recreate panels throughout the movie, even if the whole experience was kind of this rigid recreation without any of the substance. But uh, one of the greatest intros in cinema? A bit much, don't you think?

I am being sincere everything about that intro is fantastic.

ReiGun

Let's be honest the Superman stuff is a weak area. Man of Steel was not all that.

He's a shit character. Focus on Batman and its world. Make that your Cinematic Universe.

Yeah no. Some of us like DC characters who aren't the Bat and would like to see their lore explored.

I still think Snyder is a capable director in the right situation, but having him be a story/character architect of the DCCU was probably not the best idea. Still, I'm rooting for him to make a good JL movie.

I don't think he's a capable director because he's a bad storyteller.

Dude should be a cinematographer or production designer.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
The current (unsustainable) craze of 'breaking a billion' has completely ruined people's expectations of what constitutes a flop, hasn't it.

Nobody should have just expected BvS to break a billion. That's nuts. No Batman film ever made that kind of money at the box office, until the perfect mix of Nolan hitting top form while directing Heath Ledger as he created one of the greatest movie villains of all time caused a cultural phenomenon. No Superman film has ever made near that kind of money at the box office, full stop

850 million worldwide is not a flop.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I was looking forward to SS but after BvS... I rather wait for the movie to hit cable... same for the rest of the coming movies.

I need to ask because I'm yet to see it. What is actually legitimately wrong with BvS?

I just saw Civil War which I really liked and what I know of BvS, Civil War just seems like it's Avengers mixed with BvS. Right down to the motivation/impetus for the fighting.

I need to ask because I'm yet to see it. What is actually legitimately wrong with BvS?

I just saw Civil War which I really liked and what I know of BvS, Civil War just seems like it's Avengers mixed with BvS. Right down to the motivation/impetus for the fighting.

Unfocused story.
Terrible writing and even worse execution in directing. Especially when you see the potential , like the desert scene could have been iconic, but it was a jumbled mess.

Forced character introduction.
The worst Lex Luthor I have seen to date.
Bloated

I really could go on and on, but I don't want to spoil it for you. It is the most unfocused I have ever seen Snyder.

WillyFive

Whether or not one agrees with it's interpretation of the characters, BvS is a rather poor movie in many areas. It's not an unfinished movie like Fantastic Four, but it's a collection of ideas put together in the worst way possible. However, the interpretation of the characters really makes it a spectacular cultural hate-machine above and beyond just because of it being a bad movie. Terrible writing, nonsensical story, bad acting, bloated, and disrespect for the audience's time.

Betty

Banned
The current (unsustainable) craze of 'breaking a billion' has completely ruined people's expectations of what constitutes a flop, hasn't it.

Nobody should have just expected BvS to break a billion. That's nuts. No Batman film ever made that kind of money at the box office, until the perfect mix of Nolan hitting top form while directing Heath Ledger as he created one of the greatest movie villains of all time caused a cultural phenomenon. No Superman film has ever made near that kind of money at the box office, full stop

Rises also hit a billion without Ledger.

If BvS was good, just decent, it would've hit a billion.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Unfocused story.
Terrible writing and even worse execution in directing. Especially when you see the potential , like the desert scene could have been iconic, but it was a jumbled mess.

Forced character introduction.
The worst Lex Luthor I have seen to date.
Bloated

I really could go on and on, but I don't want to spoil it for you. It is the most unfocused I have ever seen Snyder.

I already knew Luthor would terrible without seeing it. Poor casting there. Very poor casting.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Rises also hit a billion without Ledger.

If BvS was good, just decent, it would've hit a billion.

TDKR made a billion because of the momentum of the trilogy. The previous film, as I said, was a cultural phenomenon. Same reason why The first Hobbit made a billion, coming after the wonderful LOTR trilogy.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I already knew Luthor would terrible without seeing it. Poor casting there. Very poor casting.

Probably a good idea to watch the film before you decide if an actor is poor casting for a part. Eisenberg might surprise you as Lex Luthor.

Thing is cavill can act they just didn't give him anything to work with

Batfleck did a great job despite the movie and gadot left me quite optimistic for wonder woman

So outside of Lex the rest of the cast wasn't bad

#seriouslythatwasjimmyolesn

B33

Banned
Probably a good idea to watch the film before you decide if an actor is poor casting for a part. Eisenberg might surprise you as Lex Luthor.
Eisenberg is the worst Lex Luthor on screen so far and I defended the casting choice when it was announced. I don't like Hackman's Lex, but it's better than Eisenberg's portrayal.

It's a shame things didn't work out with Cranston.

Johns wants to bring "Hope and Optimism"

In series like Justice Society of America and The Flash, he cranked out stories that managed to be sun-dappled without being sappy.

hmm, did he even Flash Blitz?

Wouldn't call Johns stories totally light hearted. Maybe JSA and Stargirl. I doubt he'd go with Snyder's direction though, he wouldn't have Batman kill and his Superman would probably be more in line with Donner's.

ReiGun

Shame DC is scared of them
It's been hilarious seeing them finally realize they've been sitting on goldmines with Wonder Woman and The Flash. Things like the The Flash TV show and DC Super Hero Girls should have happened years ago.

(Yeah the Flash had the 90's show, but it was that then radio silence for 20 years)

Next thing you are gonna say is that you like Deathstroke.

Ewwww.

Deathstroke tops the list of DC characters I find less interesting than Bruce Wayne.

Disgraced

DC’s nascent cinematic universe has so far depicted Superman as an angry god; a violent, alien entity that needs to be kept in check. This morning, Johns offered a vastly different take on the character's archetype. “I think people make a mistake when they say, ‘Superman’s not relatable because he’s so powerful,’” he said. “I’m like, ‘Are you kidding me? He’s a farmboy from Kansas who moves to the city and just wants to do the best he can with what he’s got.’ That’s the most relatable character in the world."
Damn straight.

KonradLaw

If you look at it from a shareholder perspective, your company (WB) is making back, what, $100-200 million from a $400 million investment, when they could be putting all that money into other projects and yielding higher returns. WB might still be profitable even if the DC movies flop, but their financial backers will not be happy, and that is bound to change the course of things to come.

There are no projects with higher returns though. Not consitently so at least and not ones you can pump out 2-3 each year.

Ithil

Let's be honest the Superman stuff is a weak area. Man of Steel was not all that.

He's a shit character. Focus on Batman and its world. Make that your Cinematic Universe.

Superman is not a shit character. The depiction of him is shit.
Focus on Batman & Robin, see how great that makes Batman's character.

Eisenberg is the worst Lex Luthor on screen so far and I defended the casting choice when it was announced. I don't like Hackman's Lex, but it's better than Eisenberg's portrayal.

He would have been perfect. I just feel like Jesse would have fit in with the Tiny Toons version of this movie, or a TV show Lex Luthor for teens with angst

Thing is cavill can act they just didn't give him anything to work with

Batfleck did a great job despite the movie and gadot left me quite optimistic for wonder woman

So outside of Lex the rest of the cast wasn't bad

#seriouslythatwasjimmyolesn

I'd say Eisenberg could act like the Lex people envisioned. Heck, everybody thought he'd channel Zuckerberg and that'd be okay. He played Lex as told and written. Bryan Cranston, Joaquin Phoenix, Adam Driver, whomever else. It'd be along the same lines.

Ithil

Sorry, now, in a world where every Transformers film cracks a billion, the first ever on-screen meeting of Batman and Superman should be waltzing over that.
This isn't 2002. There's nearly 25 films that have hit a billion now, many of the recent ones being superhero films, and almost all of them being released in the last six years.
Hell, four of them came out last year.

Disgraced

Thankfully Snyder realizes how outdated this is and is giving us the sad, uncertain Superman we all really wanted.
giphy.gif

Damn straight.

ehh that route is pretty hard to go but i hope they pull it off.

captain america for example is kind of boring as fuck in the greater marvel universe. very likable guy but i'll take 20 minutes of stark in the iron man movies over hours of evans' rogers. he just feels more multifaceted and interesting.

you have to do more than just give us a nice guy with strong ideals. donner's movies are really hard to emulate. only raimi managed to pull it off well with the spidermans imo.

also snyder killed clark kent so this tone change will be even harder than ever haha. conceptually i think snyder was doing fine but they really needed to make superman more of a public figure. being a recluse didn't help matters at all.

EGM1966

Adjusted for inflation Tim Burtons Batman probably topped $500 million just in US. Superman the Movie adjusted prbably around $450 million domestic. In short batman and superman films that are well made tend to capture the zeitgeist and make huge sums.

You're just looking at current value of money and assuming modern films are making more: they're not. Adjusted for inflation A New Hope made much more than Force Awakens in US.

BvS should have easily passed $1 billion. Easily. Look at its first weekend. That's the first weekend of a film that can pass $1 billion. It cratered though because word of mouth was toxic. They simply failed to make the film the market wanted but the initial demand shows the audience is there.

With inflation more and more big hit films will pass $1 billion so it's not unsustainable, it's merely where certain films should land. There was a time when making over $100 million was unprecedented: then it became the norm that most popular films could attain. Now it's less than most big budget films cost.

And don't think WB don't know this. They sank approx $450 million or more into BvS expecting to easily pass $1 billion.

I'd say Eisenberg could act like the Lex people envisioned. Heck, everybody thought he'd channel Zuckerberg and that'd be okay. He played Lex as told and written. Bryan Cranston, Joaquin Phoenix, Adam Driver, whomever else. It'd be along the same lines.
That's what I was thinking when he was cast

And then the trailers came

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member

I disagree with you about Eisenberg's performance but holy shit, Bryan Cranston was in talks for the role?!

Aww man... How good would that have been...

TI82

Banned
Watchmen looked nice but like someone else said it's superficial references at best. Take for example the silk specter and night owls fight in the alleyway. They fight with clearly super strength whereas in the comics they fight with middle aged athlete strength. Because that's what they are, heroes not super heroes.

So it seems Snyder really missed the point.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Adjusted for inflation Tim Burtons Batman probably topped $500 million just in US. Superman the Movie adjusted prbably around $450 million domestic. In short batman and superman films that are well made tend to capture the zeitgeist and make huge sums.

You're just looking at current value of money and assuming modern films are making more: they're not. Adjusted for inflation A New Hope made much more than Force Awakens in US.

BvS should have easily passed $1 billion. Easily. Look at its first weekend. That's the first weekend of a film that can pass $1 billion. It cratered though because word of mouth was toxic. They simply failed to make the film the market wanted but the initial demand shows the audience is there.

With inflation more and more big hit films will pass $1 billion so it's not unsustainable, it's merely where certain films should land. There was a time when making over $100 million was unprecedented: then it became the norm that most popular films could attain. Now it's less than most big budget films cost.

And don't think WB don't know this. They sank approx $450 million or more into BvS expecting to easily pass $1 billion.

Yeah, I know how adjusting for inflation works. The point is that even when you do that, the huge Superman and Batman films from back in the day still don't hit these numbers.

It's absolutely a new craze and I think it is (or will prove to be) unsustainable, because everyone pushes for it now and we're starting to see talk of films flopping simply because they don't hit it (as BvS proves) which will lead to a situation where studios, instead of setting more realistic targets, could conceivably burn through a fucking ton of money chasing it, and end up going out of business.

If it's not the BATGOD or Sucide Squad hard PASS on anything from DC/Warner Bros.

13 Movies in and i'm still thirsty of some good marvel flicks while i'm already worn out on 2 films from DC.

Cipherr

His intro to Watchmen is probably not only one of the greatest intros in cinema

Whoadere. Greatest in cinema is going way to far. And I fucking LOVE that opening. But its not the greatest in cinema. It sure as hell shits on everything in the superhero genre from on high though.

No superhero film has had an outro or intro as incredible as Watchman. It was damn near worth the price of admission alone. Its really well done.

Whoadere. Greatest in cinema is going way to far. And I fucking LOVE that opening. But its not the greatest in cinema. It sure as hell shits on everything in the superhero genre from on high though.

No superhero film has had an outro or intro as incredible as Watchman. It was damn near worth the price of admission alone. Its really well done.

Putting the Koyaanisqatsi music to the Doctor Manhattan origin story was also a stroke of damned genius.

Yeah, I know how adjusting for inflation works. The point is that even when you do that, the huge Superman and Batman films from back in the day still don't hit these numbers.

It's absolutely a new craze and I think it is (or will prove to be) unsustainable, because everyone pushes for it now and we're starting to see talk of films flopping simply because they don't hit it (as BvS proves) which will lead to a situation where studios, instead of setting more realistic targets, could conceivably burn through a fucking ton of money chasing it, and end up going out of business.

The huge expansion of the world wide market is new, yes. But both Superman and Batman were huge successes at their time of release. Superman made $134 million domestic in 1978. Before 1975 no film had ever even broken $100 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom