• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Batman v Superman' Fallout: Warner Bros. Shakes Up Executive Roles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eisenberg is the worst Lex Luthor on screen so far and I defended the casting choice when it was announced. I don't like Hackman's Lex, but it's better than Eisenberg's portrayal.

It's a shame things didn't work out with Cranston.

Cranston was never approached....

Slayven

Johns wants to bring "Hope and Optimism"

hmm, did he even Flash Blitz?

Wouldn't call Johns stories totally light hearted. Maybe JSA and Stargirl. I doubt he'd go with Snyder's direction though, he wouldn't have Batman kill and his Superman would probably be more in line with Donner's.
That is so sad to read, the DC universe needing hope and optimism. LOL that use to be their bread and butter
It's been hilarious seeing them finally realize they've been sitting on goldmines with Wonder Woman and The Flash. Things like the The Flash TV show and DC Super Hero Girls should have happened years ago.

(Yeah the Flash had the 90's show, but it was that then radio silence for 20 years)

Deathstroke tops the list of DC characters I find less interesting than Bruce Wayne.

Why hasn't there been Teen Titans movie? No one has really done a young superhero movie yet.

Sanjuro

I rather have a Superman movie with Titano than All Star Superman.

I said teenage superhero not Millar's disease diarrhea given form on the silver screen

I just rather have a good Green Lantern movie, but that's just me.

Fuck you! I didn't see your quote until I clicked. Monster.

Slayven

I just rather have a good Green Lantern movie, but that's just me.

Fuck you! I didn't see your quote until I clicked. Monster.

A good Green Lantern movie and a good Fantastic Four movie would be game changers. But they would need someone to really care and put effort into them.

Sanjuro

A good Green Lantern movie and a good Fantastic Four movie would be game changers. But they would need someone to really care and put effort into them.

FF needs to back it up. Doom can be used very sparingly. A show may work, really need to get down the team's adventures in an established universe.

GL, you just need to explain to an audience why he can clown Superman.

Deathstroke tops the list of DC characters I find less interesting than Bruce Wayne.

I loved him as Slade on Teen Titans. A lot of good mystery, and Perlman's voice acting adds a shit-ton to every role he voices. Honestly, if they announced a Teen Titans movie similar to the show, with Perlman doing a James Earl Jones thing for Slade (don't call him Deathstroke), then I'd be on board from the get-go.

Bleepey

Whoadere. Greatest in cinema is going way to far. And I fucking LOVE that opening. But its not the greatest in cinema. It sure as hell shits on everything in the superhero genre from on high though.

No superhero film has had an outro or intro as incredible as Watchman. It was damn near worth the price of admission alone. Its really well done.

I never said it was the greatest. Just one of the greatest. I'll stand by what I said.

MisterHero

Didn't Geoff have a lot of input on the last one? And it bombed and he got sent to comic industry timeout
The rainbow lantern corps and making Parallax a space bug so abstract that his movie counterpart became a poo cloud

Dunno about his input on the actual movie, but it (sort of) came from his comics writing.

Shame about everything else, I wish his Action Comics stories never ended.

Yes. How are people forgetting this? How are the WB executives forgetting this?

They have no one else. He's probably the closet Feige equivalent that they got.

Its the same reason Snyder got the job in the first place: every other director they wanted passed,

Tobor

Dat marvel money

If they want that kind of money consistently, they should hire someone who can deliver it. Johns ain't that person.

They have no one else. He's probably the closet Feige equivalent that they got.

Its the same reason Snyder got the job in the first place: every other director they wanted passed,

Maybe it's time for an outside hire? Recycling the same old garbage expecting a new result isn't healthy.

a916

Glad they have the all-time GOAT Green Lantern heading DC Films now... Hal Jordan everywhere

Yes. How are people forgetting this? How are the WB executives forgetting this?

Blaming Johns for GL is like blaming Fiege for Fantastic Four 2005 (which he was a executive producer of). Nevermind that Berlanti the guy seeing all their TV stuff is on that GL film as well and knocking it out of the park with the CW stuff.

Question # 1 on the DC Feige application:

"Who is the best Flash?"

Anyone who doesn't answer Wally West during the Mark Waid run should be ejected from the building immediately.

Lol... left swipe on that idea. Barry Allen >, Hall Jordan >

Tobor

"Who is the best Flash?"

Anyone who doesn't answer Wally West during the Mark Waid run should be ejected from the building immediately.

Slayven

If they want that kind of money consistently, they should hire someone who can deliver it. Johns ain't that person.

Maybe it's time for an outside hire? Recycling the same old garbage expecting a new result isn't healthy.
Maybe they should hire JMS, he got movie and comic experience. Downside being you won't see shit for 30 years
Glad they have the all-time GOAT Green Lantern heading DC Films now... Hal Jordan everywhere

Blaming Johns for GL is like blaming Fiege for Fantastic Four 2005 (which he was a executive producer of). Nevermind that Berlanti the guy seeing all their TV stuff is on that GL film as well and knocking it out of the park with the CW stuff.

Lol... left swipe on that idea. Barry Allen >, Hall Jordan >
Hal is garbage

"Who is the best Flash?"

No lies detected

Slayven said:
That is so sad to read, the DC universe needing hope and optimism. LOL that use to be their bread and butter

Agreed. However, I would add that this is also ridiculous.

Before they even work on the tone of the movie, they should make sure that they actually have a good movie to begin with(did anybody look at the script?). I feel like this gets missed all the time whenever BvS is brought up for needing "hope" and "optimism".

Good movies are good movies.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
$850 million is not a flop. Less than what DC wants/expects, sure, but IDK how people can still keep using that word..

Because $850 mill is awful for what it should have made.

If the budget of the film was $300 million, marketing would, at the very least be $150 million, because generally, the marketing budget is half of what the film's budget was.

So to break even on a $450 million investment, you'd have to make $900 million dollars. Where is your profit from that?

Look at Deadpool.

The budget was $50 mill. Another $25 mill for marketing. That's $75 mill, $150 million to break even. It made over $750 million worldwide. FOX saw an insane and unexpected return on investment with Deadpool.

And speaking of worldwide, you have o remember that the 2,000-3,000 theaters you choose to open in get a cut of that box office take as well. And taxes and fees for that are probably different per theater chain. Not to mention international theaters and countries have their own licenses, fees, and taxes that get taken from the international gross as well.

For the WB execs to even crack a smile, they'd have to hit $1 billion. To breathe a sigh of relief that this investment was worth it, that'd have to hit $1.2-1.5 billion. Which shouldn't have been that difficult considering it was a movie staring Batman and fucking Superman. And Wonder Woman!!

Studios don't make movies to break even. They make movies to make as large a profit as possible.

The Lucasfilm, and FOX execs no doubt got a delicious bonus or two after Star Wars and Deadpool did what they did at the Box Office.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Just like Man of Steel has left a lasting impression on its viewers (its thousands of threads on NeoGAF over the years are proof of that), so too will Batman v Superman. Snyder makes films people want to discuss. Virulent detractors and passionate fans, with Snyder's films there is rarely a middle ground.

Batman v Superman underperformed WB's expectations, but I would put it alongside X2, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Iron Man 1, Watchmen, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Deadpool as films that have elevated and transformed the genre.

Snyder humanizing the characters (and giving them fallacies, obsessions, desires, passions, and faults) makes them more interesting and more fragile to me, which raises the stakes when they fight, struggle, or die.

Superman is universally known as a boring character because, according to the general populace, he is imperceptible to almost every threat, is always perfect in judgment, and has a superpower for every situation. Making Superman actually be an imperfect, impassionate spectator who learns to take on the role of protector of Earth as he grows immediately makes the character more interesting and leads to a story that is far less obvious than your typical CBM.

I realize that the film received very mixed reception, which puts me on the outside, but I love what BvS brought to the table and it is a shame that public reaction will push further DCEU movies into more popcorn fare.

Just like Man of Steel has left a lasting impression on its viewers (its thousands of threads on NeoGAF over the years are proof of that), so too will Batman v Superman. Snyder makes films people want to discuss. Virulent detractors and passionate fans, with Snyder's films there is rarely a middle ground.

Batman v Superman underperformed WB's expectations, but I would put it alongside X2, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Iron Man 1, Watchmen, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Deadpool as films that have elevated and transformed the genre.

Snyder humanizing the characters (and giving them fallacies, obsessions, desires, passions, and faults) makes them more interesting and more fragile to me, which raises the stakes when they fight, struggle, or die.

Superman is universally known as a boring character because, according to the general populace, he is imperceptible to almost every threat, is always perfect in judgment, and has a superpower for every situation. Making Superman actually be an imperfect, impassionate spectator who learns to take on the role of protector of Earth as he grows immediately makes the character more interesting and leads to a story that is far less obvious than your typical CBM.

I realize that the film received very mixed reception, which puts me on the outside, but I love what BvS brought to the table and it is a shame that public reaction will push further DCEU movies into more popcorn fare.

image.php

Slayven

That is a narrative that gets pushed on the internet, and have little barring on mainstream perception of the character

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
That is a narrative that gets pushed on the internet, and have little barring on mainstream perception of the character

There is no mainstream perception of the character because normal people don't discuss comic book superheroes like we nerds do.

Everybody talks like this movie was a failure because Superman and Wonder Woman were in it, but it was really only a failure because Batman was in it and it didn't hit 1 billion dollars. Superman movies haven't been huge in 25 years and Wonder Woman is an unproven asset. I understand this was her first movie, but how big is the world's largest female superhero, does she even qualify as that now that black widow is as big as she is?

Does an extended cameo even count?

Slayven

I know I know, anecdotal evidence and all, but most of the people I know hold the same viewpoint.

Superman i bet more than any other character have stories that humanize him.

There is no mainstream perception of the character because normal people don't discuss comic book superheroes like we nerds do.

Everybody talks like this movie was a failure because Superman and Wonder Woman were in it, but it was really only a failure because Batman was in it and it didn't hit 1 billion dollars. Superman movies haven't been huge in 25 years and Wonder Woman is an unproven asset. I understand this was her first movie, but how big is the world's largest female superhero, does she even qualify as that now that black widow is as big as she is?

And nerds thought Captain America was "Fuck Yeah America, Hot Dogs, and Apple Pie!!!"

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
We just had several threads on it

Really? That strikes me as odd for anyone who has seen the movies. There is barely anything in them that makes them uniquely American movies. Even the first one which centers around "fighting for America" more than the other two.

Superman i bet more than any other character have stories that humanize him.

And the point I replied to was the general public thinking he's boring because he's overpowered. I don't see how that changes anything. Doesn't really change the fact that power creep has backed the character into a corner for a lot of the general public.

BadAss2961

Wonder Woman's an icon. A lot of younger people probably couldn't tell you her background or what she's about, but mostly everyone knows of her, recognizes the attire and the statement that it makes.

Black Widow's just someone who happens to be in some very profitable movies.

Slayven

And the point I replied to was the general public thinking he's boring because he's overpowered. I don't see how that changes anything. Doesn't really change the fact that power creep has backed the character into a corner for a lot of the general public.

Powercreep is meaningless, a good story is a good story whether the character is as mighty as an ant or has the power of a million exploding suns.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Wonder Woman's an icon. A lot of younger people probably couldn't tell you her background or what she's about, but mostly everyone knows of her, recognizes the attire and the statement that it makes.

Black Widow's just someone who happens to be in some very profitable movies.

Young people drive viewership to these movies. At this point, Black Widow is the more popular character. All rottentomatoes ratings being equal, I would be willing to bet a Black Widow movie outperforms a Wonder Woman movie at the box office.

TI82

Banned
I'm not sure a black widow movie would do well. I know I probably wouldn't see it tbh but i also dont watch the agents of shield or agent carter show.

Cipherr

Just like Man of Steel has left a lasting impression on its viewers (its thousands of threads on NeoGAF over the years are proof of that), so too will Batman v Superman.

Man thats some serious confusion. Don't confuse MoS being brought up a lot as the film being worth discussion. By that metric Thor 2 is the best fucking comicbook movie in the world, and F4ntastic is just about behind it.

People bring it up because it fails to meet a lot of peoples expectations, and folks tend to remember negative experiences more than positive ones.

It IS possible to be remembered, and have that be a good thing. MoS and BvS have not achieved that, not even remotely.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Man thats some serious confusion. Don't confuse MoS being brought up a lot as the film being worth discussion. By that metric Thor 2 is the best fucking comicbook movie in the world, and F4ntastic is just about behind it.

People bring it up because it fails to meet a lot of peoples expectations, and folks tend to remember negative experiences more than positive ones.

It IS possible to be remembered, and have that be a good thing. MoS and BvS have not achieved that, not even remotely.

Those are your opinions, but the opinions of others who do find them great will be here to constantly make threads about them.

You are wrong about Thor 2 and F4ntastic, btw. No one will make threads about how great they are, or even how misunderstood they are, because by and large, no one feels that way about these. They are instead, only brought up as examples of failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom