• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Chasers Nightwar |OT| Party Like its 1998!

Burt

The thing about Garrison is that he basically requires Gully to work in a party. If you're stacking damage on him, he needs her taunt. And if you're not, you're not Garrisoning as hard as Garrison can Garrison - although, as people are seeing, damage optimization becomes just a teensy bit irrelevant lategame, especially once you start getting ultimate weapons.

Still, Red Monika's stealth - once you get the perk that lets her start combat stealthed - means she's much less tethered to the game's sole true tank, and does more than enough damage to get you by without Warblades or Burst 2 -> Berserk -> Berserk. Her high evade is actually great too, particularly against enemies that do those really damaging multi-hit attacks. Plus, she has one of the easiest ultimate weapons to get, so if nothing else, she's useful for powering you through the Arena for Garrison's game-breaker.

Begaria

The game is pretty good, just heading into Dungeon 4, but there's a few nit picks and just flat out mechanic flub ups that I can't wrap my head around.

The nitpick: I would've liked to see what party member enemies are targeting. This is such a great mechanic introduced by very few RPGs, and makes battles even more strategic. In such a RPG like Battle Chasers where nearly every battle is strategic, especially bosses/hunts, it'd make the already excellent battle system that much better.

Gotta say, inactive party members not gaining XP really, really sucks. There's very little reason to switch out to lower level party members, and the grind (which is getting fixed) is way too tedious.

It's probably like the other NPCs, you need to clear a dungeon for it to restock.
Hmm, I read that you have to trigger it appearing by giving him ore, but nothing I do seems to trigger him asking for ore.

Maybe I missed something in the Dig, I'll run through it again later.

cevion

Can't stop thinking about the game.

After having some fun with the final companion you get (if you have access to him - give him a try - he's a beast!), I was theorycrafting a bit about stacking sunder damage:

There's a Necklace you can buy for ~14 Shadow Coins that gives you a 10% chance to apply 50% sunder on hit. Put this on Bretto and then go nuts with Wildshot (8 hits, almost guaranteeing a procc), after applying your basic 20% sunder (with perk that increases basic sunder from 10->20%). You should hit 70% sunder pretty easily.

Should go well together with a high dps such as Garrison/Monika or that spell from the final companion you unlock that does crazy damage but also does a small amount of damage to himself. (Said final member can also increase his own damage by 20% (?) or the party's DPS by 30%. Garrison could on top of that boost the party's crit chance by 60% through burst 2 after applying zeh sunder)

For even more fun, add in Ambush, Exploit Weakness and Execute. (Haven't tried the last three options yet, but they could lead to some nice damage)

I'm such a nerd. Have fun!

edit:
The thing about Garrison is that he basically requires Gully to work in a party. If you're stacking damage on him, he needs her taunt. And if you're not, you're not Garrisoning as hard as Garrison can Garrison - although, as people are seeing, damage optimization becomes just a teensy bit irrelevant lategame, especially once you start getting ultimate weapons.

Agreed. Furthermore, Garrison takes a while to get going/set up. His sting isn't that great IMO, and most of his powerful attacks are "Slow", while Monika and the final dude starting with an "A" have lots of "Fast" options when it comes to mana-abilties. Garrison is no doubt a great boss killer though. (Seeing Berserk crit and getting all those hits in is also fun) But yeah, he depends on Gully a lot, while you can put final dude (the super-versatile guy that is like a kinderegg (DR/DPS/heals) - can't remember his name atm :p) and Monika in almost any line-up.

...The nitpick: I would've liked to see what party member enemies are targeting. This is such a great mechanic introduced by very few RPGs, and makes battles even more strategic. In such a RPG like Battle Chasers where nearly every battle is strategic, especially bosses/hunts, it'd make the already excellent battle system that much better.

Yeah, I feel you on those negatives. I hope I'm not annoying people by repeatedly stating that I use Cheat Engine to speed the game up for combat/tedious tasks like going back to switch out party members and gear, and also recently using it to gain enough instant XP to catch up members not in the current lineup without grinding. No tar and feathers please! Unless it's like a mildly erotic consensual group thing. If that's the case, give me the specifics and we'll go from there.

Jetman

Enjoying the game so far! Looks and plays great!

Have had one crash on PS4/Pro so far :/. - Do these crashes normally corrupt save files, as mine wasn't? (this time) - Maybe instead of Auto saving, manually saving and going back to the menu would be a bit safer somehow?

To anyone else who Kickstarted this and got it on PS4, have you had any troubles with the download codes for all of the free stuff like Chaos Eater or Explorers Pack? On the Extras screen after inputting the codes and submitting, the on screen keyboard just goes away,the screen gets a little dark, and no confirmation is given if it was accepted (and the items aren't in the inventory in-game after checking)

melkier33

Enjoying the game so far! Looks and plays great!

Have had one crash on PS4/Pro so far :/. - Do these crashes normally corrupt save files, as mine wasn't? (this time) - Maybe instead of Auto saving, manually saving and going back to the menu would be a bit safer somehow?

To anyone else who Kickstarted this and got it on PS4, have you had any troubles with the download codes for all of the free stuff like Chaos Eater or Explorers Pack? On the Extras screen after inputting the codes and submitting, the on screen keyboard just goes away,the screen gets a little dark, and no confirmation is given if it was accepted (and the items aren't in the inventory in-game after checking)

If it crashes while saving it will corrupt it, I have over 50 hours with only one corruption. It's best to back up saves cuz crashes will happen a lot.
For the back extra codes I had to close the game out relaunch and put them in. I heard some people to four tries to get it to work but was just one try for me

Jetman

If it crashes while saving it will corrupt it, I have over 50 hours with only one corruption. It's best to back up saves cuz crashes will happen a lot.
For the back extra codes I had to close the game out relaunch and put them in. I heard some people to four tries to get it to work but was just one try for me

Oh wow - right on, thanks for the reply! Will back up everything before I start another round.

Virdix

What should I be spending my Coins on? I'm lvl 10 and just killed the
Fire lord
. Are the loot boxes worth it? I wouldnt mind an epic Chieftan's Might

Love the game, but it's been crashing more and more. Just crashed while a character died just as the XP screen rolled up.

Sigh.

Burt

What should I be spending my Coins on? I'm lvl 10 and just killed the
Fire lord
. Are the loot boxes worth it? I wouldnt mind an epic Chieftan's Might

The best rod and lure available will quickly pay dividends. Afterwards, if there's any equipment that you particularly want that lines up with your level, that's fine (and the loot boxes can be okay), but the discounted/character-specific perk books are probably the best investment.

Jetman

Haha, did anyone get the encounter in the Iron Outpost with the Sarcophagus/coffin?
I knew it was obviously and ultimately a bad idea to let whatever was in there out and totally expected a mini boss fight against whatever was in there and was surprised that I didn't get it. Laughed at some of the commentary as I bargained with it though. I expect I'll be fighting some pop-up vampire mini boss later on for my actions here?

Burt

Haha, did anyone get the encounter in the Iron Outpost with the Sarcophagus/coffin?
I knew it was obviously and ultimately a bad idea to let whatever was in there out and totally expected a mini boss fight against whatever was in there and was surprised that I didn't get it. Laughed at some of the commentary as I bargained with it though. I expect I'll be fighting some pop-up vampire mini boss later on for my actions here?

I never got it, but let me tell you, letting it out is definitely a good idea for late game.

Jetman

I never got it, but let me tell you, letting it out is definitely a good idea for late game.

Haha, oh, really? Well, go ahead and spoil me if you know something :p

And are the only places to craft weapons/armor and enchantments in the dungeons? There's no way to be able to craft in Harms Way, not even by upgrading the shops or anything?

Burt

Haha, oh, really? Well, go ahead and spoil me if you know something :p

And are the only places to craft weapons/armor and enchantments in the dungeons? There's no way to be able to craft in Harms Way, not even by upgrading the shops or anything?

Gully's ultimate weapon requires that you release the Lich from that tomb and fight him again in another place for a drop. That tomb popping is like super, unreasonably rare, although they're apparently addressing it in the patch. So, if you're lucky enough to see it, letting it out is definitely the way to go.

When you upgrade shops in town, they gain crafting status. They're lowering the cost of upgrading in next patch, too.

cevion

Just did the third hunt. Gained 3 levels in one battle!

You can definitely farm some XP there since the (encounter spoiler):
Boss keeps summoning adds. I went from lvl 17 to 20 in one fight. https://imgur.com/Rm26Ihv ~6.4k XP

edit: This works at lvl 17. At lvl 21 and above you'll gain next to nothing. Don't do it above lvl 17 guys! I already disappointing one of my Gaf-heroes. In fact, maybe look at my posts and then go "I should do the opposite"

(just wanted to put out a warning)

Ragnaroz

Finished the first 3 dungeons(and their Legendary versions) and the current party is Monika, Garrison and Knolan. I'm planning to replace Garrison with Alumon once I get him. Monika is proving to be a very good tank for me, I just hope Alumon can be as good of a damage dealer as Garrison is, because that's what my party needs atm. Also, can anyone tell me when the fishmonger appears ?

Lanrutcon

Finished the first 3 dungeons(and their Legendary versions) and the current party is Monika, Garrison and Knolan. I'm planning to replace Garrison with Alumon once I get him. Monika is proving to be a very good tank for me, I just hope Alumon can be as good of a damage dealer as Garrison is, because that's what my party needs atm. Also, can anyone tell me when the fishmonger appears ?

You already have access to the fishmonger if you have Monika. He's got a shack to the north west, near the town of thieves.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You already have access to the fishmonger if you have Monika. He's got a shack to the north west, near the town of thieves.

was gonna say... damn people, explore the maps >_<

Wereroku

Is the trophy to get 200 shadow coin cumulative or you need to hoard these until you reach 200 ?

I assume hoard since the gold coin one says cumulative but the shadow coin does not. I am luck and have avoid any crashes so far at 12hrs in. However I only play about an hour at a time. I really think the PS4 problems have to do with memory because as soon as I hit the hour and a half mark I start to see some stuttering and other problems.

adversarial

I'm trying to keep all the characters I've got so far leveled (all except last dude apparently) - this doesn't seem to be an effective strategy as it's taking me forever to do anything. I feel bad "leaving" any of them behind though. Are any of the characters just not worth keeping in your party? Do you immediately do a legendary clear after clearing a dungeon? I'm seeing a lot of people saying they're doing legendary on their first attempt, but I just got to the
mine right after junktown
and was getting destroyed on heroic. (Lvl 12, 13, 13)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm trying to keep all the characters I've got so far leveled (all except last dude apparently) - this doesn't seem to be an effective strategy as it's taking me forever to do anything. I feel bad "leaving" any of them behind though. Are any of the characters just not worth keeping in your party? Do you immediately do a legendary clear after clearing a dungeon? I'm seeing a lot of people saying they're doing legendary on their first attempt, but I just got to the
mine right after junktown
and was getting destroyed on heroic. (Lvl 12, 13, 13)

its not because
there is never a point in the game apparently where you need to use any other member, like there is no "oh shit they kidnapped Garrison so now youre forced to use Monika" moment.

jrcbandit

Just leave the wizard guy unleveled. He's supposed to be great end game and especially new game+, but doesn't seem worth using in the meantime.

cevion

You can get under-level characters up to speed by doing fast legendary runs, or bringing 'em on to hunts such as the one I discussed/screenshot in my last post (Third hunt, got 6.4k XP in one fight, didn't 'mean to' - I was just taking care of the adds when they spawned and surprised when I saw the battle results screen. You can probably get much further in terms of farming if you take 10 mins to focus down the re-spawning adds and get 12k+ XP) Don't worry about 'leaving your companions behind' though if you're satisfied with your setup!

I agree that Knolan isn't that exciting to begin with. Final companion you get is really frickin' good though and worth swapping in for Bretto or Garri (final member is basically good at everything, except for tanking, which is Gully's special forté). He joined my party at lvl 17 when the rest was 15-16. Didn't slow me down and was a huge help with cleanse/heals, auto-magic DR and DPS. :3

Skulldead

Good news they found the problem for the Ps4 version, said it's already fixed but they are play-testing and next they will submit to Sony.

Lanrutcon

Just leave the wizard guy unleveled. He's supposed to be great end game and especially new game+, but doesn't seem worth using in the meantime.

Like, everyone is good end game barring Gully (since she's a tank). Even Bretto, the best healer in the game, becomes a god of war. Garrison, Monika, etc are just silly.

Rhaknar

You can get under-level characters up to speed by doing fast legendary runs, or bringing 'em on to hunts such as the one I discussed/screenshot in my last post (Third hunt, got 6.4k XP in one fight, didn't 'mean to' - I was just taking care of the adds when they spawned and surprised when I saw the battle results screen. You can probably get much further in terms of farming if you take 10 mins to focus down the re-spawning adds and get 12k+ XP) Don't worry about 'leaving your companions behind' though if you're satisfied with your setup!

I agree that Knolan isn't that exciting to begin with. Final companion you get is really frickin' good though and worth swapping in for Bretto or Garri (final member is basically good at everything, except for tanking, which is Gully's special forté). He joined my party at lvl 17 when the rest was 15-16. Didn't slow me down and was a huge help with cleanse/heals, auto-magic DR and DPS. :3

I assume the hunt to lvl with is the
slime king down in the well
? I just did him, I didnt get much xp tho, but I killed him fast.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Where do I find hunt #3 boss?

"hidden down a well", I did throw money and food into a well but now it craves "Scummy Grog"... is that the hunt? In that case, where do I find some Scummy Grog?

Burt

Where do I find hunt #3 boss?

"hidden down a well", I did throw money and food into a well but now it craves "Scummy Grog"... is that the hunt? In that case, where do I find some Scummy Grog?

Point Break Cantina, that pirate's hideout/bar place in the Siege Coast. After that, you'll need the
ladder
that you can pick up in Junktown, I think? Then you'll be good to go down and get the fight.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Point Break Cantina, that pirate's hideout/bar place in the Siege Coast. After that, you'll need the
ladder
that you can pick up in Junktown, I think? Then you'll be good to go down and get the fight.

Awesome! Got it, plus the ladder :D

Also, the top hat dude in Point Break Cantina... what happens if I buy the tophat from the main town and speak to him?

Burt

Awesome! Got it, plus the ladder :D

Also, the top hat dude in Point Break Cantina... what happens if I buy the tophat from the main town and speak to him?

You trade hats. The hat he gives you is for a special quest at the tail end of the game, Knolan-related.

Yoshichan

One last question (thanks btw!), can you somehow repeat hunts?

Burt

One last question (thanks btw!), can you somehow repeat hunts?

No problem - digging around for answers like these in the first few days of release was a total pain in the ass that I'm more than happy to save other people from - but no, I don't think you can repeat hunts.

Rhaknar

you need 2 things from the cantina btw, I posted it a few pages back, just to avoid going there, buying one, then handing it in only to have to go back there again.

edit: wait, Aluman is a healer? Just got him, and looking at his skills, he's more of a healer than Knolan is (as in, besides Bretto). Mistakes were made by removing Gully from the party it seems lol. He even has a healing perk tree.

So there's only one pure Tank in Gully then, weird.

Szadek

I'm skipping this game for now, but I will probably buy once it's on sale.

Still, I want to know how difficult the game gets on higher difficulties?
I love challenging RPG's, so this could be a big selling point.

I quite enjoyed playing with Knolan. I went with full crit gear making him an AOE monster, particularly when you stack his perks to benefit from them. My favorite midgame party was 'Bretto, Garrison, and Knolan. Sure, it's a lot less safer than the Gully+ 'Bretto duo, but combat was faster and more entertaining to me by stacking DoTs all over the place.

Yoshichan

So... I just spent an hour or so on the slime king hunt, killing the ads because of someone in here saying that you could farm them and gain tons of XP...

beat the boss, after tons of slime killing and didn't even get a single XP.

So thanks for that, I truly appreciate it.

Rhaknar

So... I just spent an hour or so on the slime king hunt, killing the ads because of someone in here saying that you could farm them and gain tons of XP...

if you didnt get any xp its because you were too high level, just like the mobs on the map that void you fter a certain point.

Also, good lord at the boss in
the red grave o_O Beat him first try but both Gully and Garrison were down, had to finish him off with Aluman
;_;

cevion

I got 6k xp @ lvl 17 just from the adds and a 5 min fight (lot's of "one hit kills" and such though, got me to lvl 20)

I'm sorry, if you check my screenshot below you'll see I gained tons of XP from that.

:(

I assume the hunt to lvl with is the
slime king down in the well
? I just did him, I didnt get much xp tho, but I killed him fast.

Aye, that one. I never got 3 levels from one battle before this. I focused down the adds as soon as they spawned. Maybe I got a bug or just lucky with all the XP bonuses from one-hit-wonder/overkill? I'm not sure, sorry Yoshi :(

edit: Enemies defeated, 1.4k. Check where the rest of the XP is coming from; https://imgur.com/Rm26Ihv

Kaibutsu

really enjoying the straight forward jrpg ass jrpgness of this game so far. I wonder how much some of these choices I'm making will effect the game though

Rhaknar

I think Aluman mkes 3 for 3 in "yeah ill just stick with the original 3 guys thanks" new members >_>

ll do
Deadwatch
with him instead of Bretto see how he feels but initial impressions arent that hot.

cevion

I think Aluman mkes 3 for 3 in "yeah ill just stick with the original 3 guys thanks" new members >_>

ll do
Deadwatch
with him instead of Bretto see how he feels but initial impressions arent that hot.

He's the greatest "yeah maybe I'll swap someone out" out of all the other party members though. Try his mega-damage attack that hits himself for 5-10% dmg. He may not sunder, but he can do anything, - DPS, healing while applying damage reduction to himself, etc. I've benched Bretto for Alu.

KiraXD

No problem - digging around for answers like these in the first few days of release was a total pain in the ass that I'm more than happy to save other people from - but no, I don't think you can repeat hunts.

Ill update op with various tips and info im accruing...

Top Bottom