• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Chasers Nightwar |OT| Party Like its 1998!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"oh shit this mini boss
constantly on fire in the Deadwatch
might be a problem guys I dunno about this"

"oh wait nvm I have Garrison thats right, Relentless Assault + 2 X Berzerk and hes dead... hes dead guys, hes dead"

tenor.gif

Jetman

Gully's ultimate weapon requires that you release the Lich from that tomb and fight him again in another place for a drop. That tomb popping is like super, unreasonably rare, although they're apparently addressing it in the patch. So, if you're lucky enough to see it, letting it out is definitely the way to go.

When you upgrade shops in town, they gain crafting status. They're lowering the cost of upgrading in next patch, too.

Oh wow - I'm surprised an ultimate weapon was hidden behind such an obtuse and rare event like that. I mean it's cool that I got the event but with my luck, I'd probably miss the follow-on fight lol.

And -whew- that's good. Seems like gold isn't coming too quickly for me this early in the game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
heroic Deadwatch down, best dungeon so far. Still not hard, although those doom casting fuckers were annoying.

Boss was ROFLED by Garrison which was hilarious.

Relentless Assault + Honed Blade + Bloody Crits + Berserk makes me laugh.

I can only imagine that the supposed difficulty spikes were from people rushing (or main-pathing if you will) through the game, because besides doing the Legendary versions of the dungeons, usually to level up some character that was behind, the game hasnt been hard at all, and im not even super overleveled, Heroid Deadwatch mobs and boss were 18-19, which only my Gully was when entering (19 that is), Alu and Garry were 18.

Speaking of Alu, hes growing on me, the heal that leaves a shield if you overheal is fantastic.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I have like 42% increased AP per 10 overcharge used on an ability... can someone explain to me what this means :)? Is it simply that if I use, let's say, Rupture. Rupture takes 10 mana; so if I use Rupture once, that same ability will become 42% stronger the next time I use it?

Rhaknar

yes but you are obviously using Berserk which is 20 mana and thus double that... on every strike, one assumes.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
yes but you are obviously using Berserk which is 20 mana and thus double that... on every strike, one assumes.

That is insane.

Lanrutcon

I have like 42% increased AP per 10 overcharge used on an ability... can someone explain to me what this means :)? Is it simply that if I use, let's say, Rupture. Rupture takes 10 mana; so if I use Rupture once, that same ability will become 42% stronger the next time I use it?

Basically, whenever you spend Overcharge, you get 42% increased damage on whatever you did. Overcharge, not mana.

So if you Berserk for 20 mana, you get nothing. If you Berserk for 20 Overcharge, you get the bonus from all the Overcharge perks you have. Not the next Berserk, the current Berserk.

Now, get all 4 Overcharge perks and cast an 80 Overcharge Warblade 2. The damage is beyond stupid. You literally do like 5 or 6 times the endboss's hp in damage.

Edit: You don't get the bonus increased per strike, guys. Otherwise the Berserk hit damage for the last hit would be dramatically higher than the first hit. If you check the damage number (barring Overpower) it's the same per hit.

Edit 2: Obviously, spending 20 Overcharge on Berserk gets you the bonus twice as it is per 10 Overcharge.

Yoshichan

Anyone know where to get a higher level lure for fishing? I have lvl 19 right now and it's not budging in one of the later dungeons <,<

Lanrutcon

Anyone know where to get a higher level lure for fishing? I have lvl 19 right now and it's not budging in one of the later dungeons <,<

You will unlock legendary fishing gear soon. Keep checking the strange merchant. I believe you have to finish a snowy dungeon first...

Yoshichan

You will unlock legendary fishing gear soon. Keep checking the strange merchant. I believe you have to finish a snowy dungeon first...

Thanks man &#9829;

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I played for an hour over the weekend and loved it. Beautiful art style and the gameplay seems very enjoyable.

Battle Chasers brings back to so many fond memories of my post high school life. I was 18 when it first released, and I got to meet Jo Mad, J Scott Campbell, and Humberto Ramos at a Comicon in Chicago back in ‘98. I had the three of them autograph a Cliffhangers jam piece I drew the night before. It’s still one of my favorite possessions ever. I’ll hahe to take a photo and share it!

I was gutted when Joe ended the series. Especially on that cliffhanger! Once I clear some backlog out, I’ll dive into this one full throttle.

Rhaknar

is there a level cap (25?) and a perk cap (100?)?

Burt

is there a level cap (25?) and a perk cap (100?)?

Level cap is 30, not sure about the perk cap. Keep meaning to go back and buy up as many perk books as I can before New Game+, but haven't gotten around to it because I've been waiting for that patch to polish off the rest of my file then mess around with starting again.

Yoshichan

Cloud Strife weapon... is ridiculous. GOD DAMN.

melkier33

The collector eventually gets a new set to buy. If your impatient like I was the fish nps sells better gear also, even though it's green the stat points on I think it was 2 fishing sets will be higher.

My team is starting to really shine. Glad I stuck with Bretto/Knolan/Alumon. Prolly still doesn't compare to having Garrison/X/X, but I love it.

Arcane Storm and one of the 25ish weapons for Knolan helps a lot. Staff gives +10% AP in combat (which he has about 3200 for me right now). Arcane Storm hits consistently hard and sets up chill, ignite, AND arcane sickness. That leaves you open for so many options if you have characters that synergize with debuffs (of which Alumon does). It sets up Knolan's Arcane Explosion. Leaving any mob, including bosses (unless they can't be) stunned.

I also got crit ignite ticks which makes dealing with packs a lot easier as he can just spam Fire Storm and they just die to burn.

Knolan also has the best ressurection of the 3 in my group. 65% revive with no quirks, perfect.

Alumon is basically there to keep Knolan from getting hit. Devastation II (taunt perk) coupled with the decreased damage while casting perk works well. He gets targeted, gets hit, but survives anything (my Alumon has like 6k HP?). Then one shots most things with the final burst if he gets hit with anything significant. He's also a superb backup healer. Extremely strong single target and AOE heals.

Last good ole Calibretto. Most people here are using so not much to say, he keeps everyone alive, but also is my main Battle Burst user. Level 1 and 3 are great. 2 is great for working with Knolan's fire.

I also LOVE Time Warp, it's a great oh shit button and a great RAISE HELL button.

EDIT: I forgot about all buffs as well. Knolan has a 25%(?) attack, haste, and crit buff (or something like that) that lasts two turns. Alumon has 30% haste for 3 turns, and an attack buff if he cures a debuff.

TLDR: Calibretto, Knolan, and Alumon take a while to get going, but once they do, they do.

I just had to double post and say this is one of the best RPGs I've played in a long, long, long, long time. I think it's reached my top 5. The only downer is the story, but everything else is spot on.

Anyone on the fence needs to get the game.

Yoshichan

This treasure map tells me to go to "favorite watering hole"... anyone :eek:?

adversarial

He's the greatest "yeah maybe I'll swap someone out" out of all the other party members though. Try his mega-damage attack that hits himself for 5-10% dmg. He may not sunder, but he can do anything, - DPS, healing while applying damage reduction to himself, etc. I've benched Bretto for Alu.

Who are you using? Is a "tank" necessary? Bretto is a beast, wizard doesn't do much damage so far, but his heals are nice.

Begaria

The OP Berserk on Garrison makes me wish I stuck with him instead of jumping on the Monika bandwagon. She's pretty good, and has some utility, but Garrison's one trick pony IS A PRETTY GOOD TRICK.

I beat Deadwatch earlier on Heroic. Pretty fun dungeon, but the boss blindsided me with the
split damage/immortal adds. I split the damage between the two thinking I was going to take them both down at the same time before the boss pulled that stunt, which kind of fucked me over a bit. It was a tanky fight after that.

Edit: Did Legendary Deadwatch with a now level 17 Garrison. Super lucked out right at the end where both a forge and an enchanting station popped as he hit level 17. Got him geared up for the boss, and the the boss went down like a chump this time.

Orca

I meant to come back and post some thoughts about the game, but never did. I was going over some notes I took and the one part that kept coming back was the diversity of things in the dungeons. Straight forward fights, some light 'avoid being hit' stuff, and even a part where I had to
listen to a guy telling a story and answer spot quiz questions to see if I was paying attention.

Really, really liked the game. Gorgeous, great combat mechanics, and a good story to boot.

Rhaknar

this
Caldeus tomb
exploration one, I assume has to do with a legendary weapon and I should leave it for now?

I did the
red grave
place in the zone, and heroic
Deadwatch
so I think for now im done and can move on for now. Well unless I get legendary
Deadwatch
out of the way I guess.

Oh yeah and I also wanted to go do another tier of the arena, game has too much shit (no it doesnt, its awesome)

cevion

Who are you using?

Using Gully, Garrison and (final companion name spoiler) A
lumon
(I used Bretto until I got the latter)

Is a "tank" necessary? Bretto is a beast, wizard doesn't do much damage so far, but his heals are nice.

Good question. I feel Gully makes hunts, bosses and some higher damage enemies easier to control with her taunt, Heroism and stacked DR. A party consisting of 2 healers + 1 dps or 2 dps and 1 healer might work as well, but I'm thinking it would struggle against bosses (unless you DPS them down fast enough, or outheal the damage). Interesting nonetheless, I'll have to try it out.

The wizard (Knolan) doesn't get much overcharge per hit but he supposedly gets stronger when you level him quite a bit, around end-game. I've left him at 12 though, while the rest of my guys are around 21, so don't take my word for it. I agree his heals are nice and also his ability to replenish mana. When you get your final companion you'll find he has great heals and also plenty of DPS - so that's something you might enjoy :)

edit: Spiritreaver posted an excellent example of a tank-less setup below. Bretto, Knolan and Alu. 3 healers who all can DPS, buff and debuff. 45% haste on your team coupled with 60% slow on the enemy. (20% x 3 'perked up' from Knolan) along with shields, mana restore and other excellent utility. Couple that with the necklace for 14 Shadow Coins that gives you 10% chance to apply 50% sunder and equip it on Bretto to sunder the enemy for 20% base + 50% necklace procc through Wildfire. (?, unsure on the name maybe "Wild Shot" - referring to the one that hits an enemy 8 times) Finally: Free crit if Knolan ignites the target and Alu then uses that skill which gives you a guaranteed crit if the enemy is on fire.

I really want to try said setup out - gotta grind to get Knolan up in the twenties, though.

Lanrutcon

this
Caldeus tomb
exploration one, I assume has to do with a legendary weapon and I should leave it for now?

I did the
red grave
place in the zone, and heroic
Deadwatch
so I think for now im done and can move on for now. Well unless I get legendary
Deadwatch
out of the way I guess.

Oh yeah and I also wanted to go do another tier of the arena, game has too much shit (no it doesnt, its awesome)

Nah, that tomb is for a super optional weapon for Monika. Not a legendary, more a mid game thing. It's for a level 20 crew.

Rhaknar

meh, do the arena before you grossly outlvl it people. Well, if you cre about xp anyway, or lack thereof. Just did the second tier (lvl 13) and got no xp ;_;

Lanrutcon

meh, do the arena before you grossly outlvl it people. Well, if you cre about xp anyway, or lack thereof. Just did the second tier (lvl 13) and got no xp ;_;

Some of the arena rewards are neat. When you hit 17 or so you can go get a bunch of stuff there.

I went back at 28 and obliterated the place for the max score.

Exentryk

this
Caldeus tomb

That's not a legendary, but still a VERY good lv 20 weapon. The boss is also lv 20, so go for it. You need to find an item called
Caldeus' Skull in Deadwatch
before though.

Rhaknar

Some of the arena rewards are neat. When you hit 17 or so you can go get a bunch of stuff there.

I went back at 28 and obliterated the place for the max score.

you also need to do the 17 one for Garrison's lvl 3 burst anyway (which I just did)

Where is Red Waifu?!

shes part of the story you cant miss her. She joins after...err the third dungeon? I know I did the 4th with her so.

Rhaknar

Friendship with Calibretto ended, Alumon is my best friend now... sorry Bretto :/

Legendary Deadwatch down, easy as usual.
Caldeus
also because why not (its actually how you unlock
Alumon's lvl 3 burst btw, its not just for that sick Waifu gun
)

When can we stop spoiler tagging stuff like this... I mean, its just useful info no? I just hate spoiler culture lol. Ill keep spoiler tagging out of respect tho.

edit: LOL at Garrison's lvl 3 burst

Rhaknar

Alumon crits for only around 7k with Devastator II. :(

dmg Alumon? what is this madness?

So how do you fix those
twin robots
anyway, its the only hunt im missing but I still cant make the
thingie needed to fix them
?

Rhaknar

the fact that the system is flexible enough that you can have different parties is a testament to its design really, even if im too old fasjioned and stick to the "normal" trinity.

Exentryk

6th dungeon down. Fairly easy again. I didn't get any good gear though, and played this level 21-22 dungeon with mostly level 17 gear. Looking forward to some new stuff!

Also, I will give other characters a chance once I unlock their good perks.

Jolkien

Didn't see it mentioned but they acknowledged the issue and have made a pretty candid post about it. I wonder why the crash never occured in their test environement, I guess maybe the dev kit wasn't on 5.0 like we are now ? No clue if that's even possible.

For those interested regarding the PS4 problems:

What's Happening Next
We'll try to be as transparent as we can about what's going on. Here's the scoop:

With the problem found, we're implementing a fix (already in progress)
The patch goes through a real QA pass (fast and intense to make sure the fix is verified, but quickly)
The patch is sent to Sony for official approval (we can't put it live until Sony approves it)
With approval, the patch is released ASAP
So it's a tricky balancing act between getting the thing fixed and live as soon as humanly possible while ensuring the changes don't introduce new bugs.

We'll let you guys know as soon as things start moving through the process, whenever we can. We know this isn't an acceptable situation and are working like mad to fix it.

Thank you for hanging with us,
-Ryan & the team

Full post is here

Rhaknar

this curse of balghus is fucking annoying fam

Flaboere

Man, second time i get an annoying bug where I can't progress from the victory screen after a battle, have to shut down the game (PC). Especially sucks in a dungeon. Does anyone know when the patch will be out?

Top Bottom