• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Premium includes 4 themed expansion packs with 16 maps and more

Theorry

So 3 of those games has done it.. And it's the rule now? Ummm no?

Im not defending EA for doing this but if that's all there is, this isn't a standard practice. Overwatch is a new game, TF2 isn't going to get 16 maps in its lifetime the same way the TF1 didn't, the Seige is barely a blimp and what part of Halo was a huge map expansion when they were mostly new added features? I may be wrong but how many maps has been released since it been out?

I'm just saying, this has been done since BF3 and it gives far more content than at least three of those except Overwatch right now.... I'm just not seeing the standard process in this or these large amount of games that's not doing paid map expansions. I only give BF the benefit of the doubt because it's not a yearly release,so the incentive for longevity makes sense. Splitting up the user base however is the only problem I see with this.

I dont know. You asked wich games do it.

killroy87

So 3 of those games has done it.. And it's the rule now? Ummm no?

Im not defending EA for doing this but if that's all there is, this isn't a standard practice. Overwatch is a new game, TF2 isn't going to get 16 maps in its lifetime the same way the TF1 didn't, the Seige is barely a blimp and what part of Halo was a huge map expansion when they were mostly new added features? I may be wrong but how many maps has been released since it been out?

I'm just saying, this has been done since BF3 and it gives far more content than at least three of those except Overwatch right now.... I'm just not seeing the standard process in this or these large amount of games that's not doing paid map expansions. I only give BF the benefit of the doubt because it's not a yearly release,so the incentive for longevity makes sense. Splitting up the user base however is the only problem I see with this.

The more telling aspect is that the games he mentioned are all the latest big FPS' to release. COD and Battlefield are kind of the only ones that do charge for maps anymore. I think Doom does, but who gives a shit about Doom MP.

What is the total cost of buying the packs individually?

Usually like $10 more.

Since I normally hate their themed packs that separate the maps from the vanilla rotation, I will say No DICE.

Add maps to the vanilla rotation instead of severely splintering everything. None of my friend play your DLC because its a 4 map playlist instead of a the 14 map playlist it should be.

The problem with the premium maps is that they get isolated into their own separate servers which eventually die off within the first couple of weeks and then it's a miracle to actually find a server that has all maps and map packs combined.

BokehKing

Banned
No they are not battlefront sucks ass... the only reason I'm in doubt. Probably will wait for sale. Even though it does look amazing.
Battlefront is also under the tight control of what Disney wants allowed in the game. Depth of the game is nothing compared to bf4.

Bf4 dlc and all dlc afterwards was amazing.

Not sure what all the commotion is about. Did nobody see this coming? This is how DICE/BF games work. The good news is that if you're worried about a population split, or don't see the value in spending $50 for 16 new maps + new modes + new weapons +new classes, you can still enjoy the base game. The base maps will always, always, always be very populated. You can still get on BF4 right now, going on three years since release, and play the base maps ad infinitum and have a great time.

Battlefield 3/4 premium was definitely worth it.

Easy for me to get this the question is if it's worth getting at release or just waiting until they give out more details about the DLC.

Bookoo

I suspect battlepacks won't be as frequently given out.

Are those the gun things? Those were never really an issue in BF4.

I have always found the season passes a fine since BF3 & 4 were the main FPS and game that I played.

Until Overwatch I still played BF4 and they have been supporting that game like crazy. Although I believe that was DICE LA ...who is rumored to be making the next battlefield (5?) for next year.

Not sure what all the commotion is about. Did nobody see this coming? This is how DICE/BF games work. The good news is that if you're worried about a population split, or don't see the value in spending $50 for 16 new maps + new modes + new weapons +new classes, you can still enjoy the base game. The base maps will always, always, always be very populated. You can still get on BF4 right now, going on three years since release, and play the base maps ad infinitum and have a great time.

You can still play BF3 easy, its very crowded...Still like it way better than bF4 anyway.

Theorry

Are those the gun things? Those were never really an issue in BF4.

I have always found the season passes a fine since BF3 & 4 were the main FPS and game that I played.

Until Overwatch I still played BF4 and they have been supporting that game like crazy. Although I believe that was DICE LA ...who is rumored to be making the next battlefield (5?) for next year.

Next year is Battlefront again.

looks like I'm not getting this game then. their business model pisses me off.

I have dropping $60 for a game to find that everyone playing on different servers and maps within a short period of time.

I dont know. You asked wich games do it.

I wasn't exactly answering to you so I apologize.. I was just kind of going on the list of games you added. Sorry if that came off weird lol

The more telling aspect is that the games he mentioned are all the latest big FPS' to release. COD and Battlefield are kind of the only ones that do charge for maps anymore. I think Doom does, but who gives a shit about Doom MP.

Usually like $10 more.

I just don't see that as the rule but the exception. And I think that the support for those games will drop off at a point that BF won't. Considering BF4 was released pretty much launch of current gen and has had longer support than all the game currently out including 2 CODs, 2 Halos, 2 Rainbow Six etc... The cost in some ways make sense. And it's not just a map that they give you with these premium packs either. They give your different modes with weather and day cycle.. New guns and trinkets that aren't overpowering the base guns etc etc... So it's not a traditional shooter that even plays by the same traditional rules. Maybe I'm doing to much, Idk, but it's weird to see people say that many games are giving free map packs when they aren't even on the level that EA has done with the franchise since BF3.

I know it's like an "investment" or sorts, but there's no way in hell I'll be able to justify spending over £100 upfront on a game.

I'll just get the basic version and then maybe pick up the Premium Pass when it's on sale.

HariKari

I just don't see that as the rule but the exception. And I think that the support for those games will drop off at a point that BF won't. Considering BF4 was released pretty much launch of current gen and has had longer support than all the game currently out including 2 CODs, 2 Halos, 2 Rainbow Six etc... The cost in some ways make sense. And it's not just a map that they give you with these premium packs either. They give your different modes with weather and day cycle.. New guns and trinkets that aren't overpowering the base guns etc etc... S

BF4 was improved by the CTE effort, which was a response to how badly EA fucked up BF4 at the start. They were saving their own brand. There's zero guarantee BF1 will get anything approaching that amount of 'support'

DICE also has a habit of making DLC guns OP before they get a balance pass. Pretty obvious as to why.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Surprised Premium seems to be the same as it was before. I expected some changes given how it seems that there's more cosmetic items this time around.

More like this is a bad and outdated model and people think it's dumb that they are still hanging onto it.
DICE hasn't done me wrong with season passes for battlefield so I don't see an issue. $100 for the game + season pass is nothing when I will play it for 500+ hours.

killroy87

I wasn't exactly answering to you so I apologize.. I was just kind of going on the list of games you added. Sorry if that came off weird lol

I just don't see that as the rule but the exception. And I think that the support for those games will drop off at a point that BF won't. Considering BF4 was released pretty much launch of current gen and has had longer support than all the game currently out including 2 CODs, 2 Halos, 2 Rainbow Six etc... The cost in some ways make sense. And it's not just a map that they give you with these premium packs either. They give your different modes with weather and day cycle.. New guns and trinkets that aren't overpowering the base guns etc etc... So it's not a traditional shooter that even plays by the same traditional rules. Maybe I'm doing to much, Idk, but it's weird to see people say that many games are giving free map packs when they aren't even on the level that EA has done with the franchise since BF3.

Listen, I'm sure the higher ups at EA and Dice have done the paperwork, and I'm sure they wouldn't continue to do paid map packs if the revenue wasn't worth it.

I'm just saying that other games have been doing it a new way for awhile now, and the player base is pretty much unanimously positive on that new approach. Charge for modes, cosmetics, and other stuff, but keep maps open to everyone so your game can thrive. I don't think BF1 will die, but it's certainly an exception in that it's one of very few franchises (the others basically being COD and Battlefront) that have the muscle to do it this way.

ebevan91

Only 4 expansions? They're pulling the same shit Hardline did. In BF3/4 we got 5 expansions for premium now we're only getting 4?????

BF4 was improved by the CTE effort, which was a response to how badly EA fucked up BF4 at the start. They were saving their own brand. There's zero guarantee BF1 will get anything approaching that amount of 'support'

DICE also has a habit of making DLC guns OP before they get a balance pass. Pretty obvious as to why.

Yeah but it was the same amount of content as BF3 even with the issues. So I have no reason to believe that 16 map expansion and extra with the same thing that was added to both BF3 and 4 won't be there. And some of those things that were added was 2 years after the server issues.... so like I said, I don't see where I need to worry if this is routinely the same as it has been for years before that. Unless you have any evidence from a previous BF game that did not offer what was stated in the premium terms, then I could believe you. The guns situation, since I've played, I still didn't run into people who used the DLC guns but I could at least say that that is the only thing besides the user base split that can be a problem. For the most part though, people do eventually buy it.

It is pathetic that EA can't come up with a better solution for their season pass. Those maps are basically worthless, because people won't play them, they will stick to the vanilla maps. So why the hell should I spend 50€ on them? This crap was painfully obvious after the first time they did this. But they are *still* doing it. They learned absolutely nothing from that. All they seem to care about is $$$.

Right now the multiplayer part of BF1 seems completely uninteresting to me. They didn't change splitting the player base through the season pass. I assume they will soon announce custom servers you can rent, because $$$. Which means it will again be a pain in the ass to find normal games through the server browser, which are not controlled by a kid who makes up stupid rules. Yeah no thanks.

The only remotely interesting thing for me is the singleplayer, but it doesn't seem like this is a focus of the development, from what I have read. Just a few chapters with seemingly no real story connection. And after what they did with Star Wars Battlefront, I am even more sceptical. Pretty sure I won't buy this game at day 1 for full price. And I did buy BF4+Premium, BF:H and SW:BF around day 1 for full price. Won't make that mistake again.

Paid maps is a deal breaker. Unfortunately, despite Titanfall having free maps, the game is so far removed from what made the original what it was that I have no real alternative.

shanafan

Xbox versions about to be preordered. Bunch of people in this thread acting like they haven't seen a battlefield season pass before.

Agreed. This isn't a new thing for a Battlefield game, or a Call of Duty game. Just because another game does free DLC, it doesn't mean all DLC should be free. The amount of DLC for these games is pretty high and well-done, and the developers deserve to be rewarded.

killroy87

I'm not sure if COD has announced their season pass yet (they may have, and I just missed it), but this would be a great opportunity for them to wipe away some of the negative sentiment around Infinite Warfare and announce that DLC maps will be free for that game.

Yep, at what point did it become OK to charge 50 quid for the standard edition of a digital PC game?

Probably around the same time they started deciding to create more than double the amount of multiplayer content.

It's always seemed pretty fair to me, add's a whole bunch to the MP suite and Battlefield never disappoints in the expansion department.

Just get it when it comes out, no need in buying it this year. If you're still playing the game come march then it probably seems like a pretty sweet deal to get another full games worth of content for...the price of a game.

I'm not sure if COD has announced their season pass yet (they may have, and I just missed it), but this would be a great opportunity for them to wipe away some of the negative sentiment around Infinite Warfare and announce that DLC maps will be free for that game.

lol

them shits gon be $40-50 bucks and they know everybody gon buy that shit anyway

The price tag for consoles in € makes no sense.
140 for DDE and 90 for early edition makes no discount, if you buy premium seperately. Or did i miss something ?

It's a bit expensive but damn was the season pass worth it on bf4. Spent so many hours on the dlc. So many new moments from being on those maps and using those guns. Worth it.

It's about the only dlc I'll ever buy because it actually backs up the price. This along with Witcher and Bloodborne dlc are the only good ones I've bought

Rizific

I only purchased premium for bf4 earlier this year, and paid $40. I thought It was money well spent. If bf1 captures me like bf4 did, premium will be an absolute buy.

I'm a big BF fan but I'm going to hold off buying until all can be had for $60 or less. Even then I'm not sure- by that point the premium maps will be so sparsely populated there will be no point in premium. $110 is a lot for essentially a complete game now a days.

Top Bottom