• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Reveal Trailer, PC/PS4/XB1, Oct 21st [Up2: Screens, Info, Open Beta]

Oh, I should clarify, I'm not saying this is CGI. I'm just recounting this reminds me of those really cinematic gameplay stuff that was passed as real at the time but now Frostbite is so good that this is reality.

And yes, Killzone 1/2 had a great aesthetic.

Oh, I read that all wrong - my mistake. I'm with you now :)

It will probably be 60, these are just fancy cinematic shots with heavy DOF.

Battlefront trailer also looked amazing and the game looked pretty close to the trailer in the end.

Yeah, now that you mention it, wasn't DOF the most differentiating feature between console and PC? Man, If we'll get these kind of graphics but with lesser DOF on consoles I'll be a happy camper.

Turbo91GT

The people that get offended by stuff like this are amusing. I've been to Afghanistan twice. I don't get offended by things made about what has happened over there. Games and movies could never accurately capture what the experience is like to be there. They are made with entertainment in mind.

Honestly not sure if I'd go PS4 or PC on this one. I've always gone with PC just by default, but the trend in the number of active players on PC has been nosediving compared to PS4 across BF4 / BFH / Battlefront.

Honestly, and I promise I'm not just saying this to be a jerk, I think people love being offended these days just because they feel empowered when they take an unpopular stance, even if that stance is totally unreasonable and contradictory to their previous stances/beliefs.

Perhaps I'm wrong--it is just a theory after all-- but I guarantee you the vast majority of these people have no problem with the scores of WW2 games out there, for example, even despite that war also being so costly and cruel.
Jesus Christ are you serious? Where was all this when World War II games are being made or games based on Desert Storm? Fact is, it is a f****** video game, not a history lesson
Well 1) I wasn't really that into games back then and I view games differently now than when I was younger. I feel the same about WW2 and modern conflict games

2) It's an entertainment medium. If movies, tv, and books can show war on both ends of the spectrum, the over-the-top action movie and the realistic respectful portrayal, there's no reason videos games can't either. So far, for the most part, it's been the former.

To dismiss the possibility and discussion of such with "it's a game!" is just nonsense

What a lackluster reveal :/ The trailer was very average (IMO).

Some of the information looks good, but I don't know if it is enough to bring me back to the franchise. Still; there is an open BETA so I look forward to giving the game a gander. DICE always have top notch presentation, so that should be good to see at least.

Thanks for posting!

Ivan

I never thought WW1 could look so refreshing...

This looks awesome, Dice surely know how to do these trailers.

It looks fantastic.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
To dismiss the possibility and discussion of such with "it's a game!" is just nonense
To be fair, I don't think this these comments are about games specifically. If we were talking about a film, "it's a film!" would've been a common response to such a reaction as well. It's less about invalidating one particular medium than it is about such an overreaction to any kind of fiction -- no matter the format.

We go right back to timing there, I think. Fallujah was fresh. Recent. Was still a deep cut. Hell, even 9/11 was still an open wound.

We're not being dismissive to the idea of war and it's portrayal (Especially in a glorification sense). The dismissiveness comes from it being an ok subject matter to address in any manner of media. Time should make a difference.

I'm a history buff too. (Moreso for WW2). And that wasn't much later after WW1. Look at a game like COD: World at War. That game's portrayal, while trying to lean accurately, came off as really visceral, and edgy.

If anything, making games and movies about our previous wars is a GREAT thing, and it brings attention to the material.

Example: I never learned about the Chernobyl incident. Had no idea what happened, other than it happened. Guess how I learned. Modern Warfare 1. I was so excited to find out that the game was based on a real event, that I spent WEEKS researching it.

So I'm dismissive, because (without trivializing war, and all those lost) it's just not a valid argument IMO.

World at War did come in for its fair share of criticism, though. Its depiction of Japanese soldiers as practically inhuman and throwing in weapons like the flamethrower without much commentary are two things I recall people criticizing about that game.

That said, I also learned a lot about World War II from games, specifically Aces of the Pacific and Aces Over Europe (aka I AM OLD). But those came with really thick manuals that were practically introductory textbooks on the battles of the war and the weapons used to wage it. The games themselves had plenty of historical details and campaigns that roughly mirrored major events in both wars (though Aces Over Europe limited itself to 1944 and beyond). Even with all of that, neither game was intended to be an educational experience, and in hindsight there are definitely aspects of those games and their supplementary material that would give people pause. For example, the manual for Aces of the Pacific sort of glosses over the decision to use the atomic bomb with a quick explanation of how military leaders thought a full-scale invasion would cost more lives. To its credit, it doesn't sugarcoat the firebombing campaign of various Japanese cities in 1944 under General Curtis LeMay, but it doesn't spend a ton of time on that either.

All that is to say that while I don't think Battlefield 1 has any obligation to teach people about World War I, let's not fool ourselves into thinking any historical re-enactment in a video game is necessarily good. If people come away from Battlefield 1 thinking everything was horse chases in the desert, biplanes twisting through canyons at breakneck speeds, and beating guys with spiked maces while tanks explode in the background, that's probably a disservice unless the game is intentionally being cartoonish and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Maybe Lawrence of Arabia counts, though (caveat: I haven't watched it myself).
You definitely should. It well conveys the senseless shitshow of war; the ambitions and differences and presumed nobility that causes it, the experiences that get us attached to tribalistic progression of conflicts, the desperation that keeps us from escaping it when we grow weary, the terrors left secret, the slaughter that drives us mad, the messes it ends up in, the ways we gloss over the realities in memory, the disconnect of places investing into it but not actually in it. It's really long with an old style of presentation, but everything in it will stick with you. Then thinking of that epic journey as just the experience of one man on one front out of so many... whew.

RoKKeR

Found one other frame of *gameplay* in the trailer, not sure if posted yet. Looks like a bolt action rifle of some sort.

B0Pb.png

Honestly not sure if I'd go PS4 or PC on this one. I've always gone with PC just by default, but the trend in the number of active players on PC has been nosediving compared to PS4 across BF4 / BFH / Battlefront.

Depends on the game really, BF4 for example is still going extremely strong. PC players just tend to be more... selective since there's a lot more choice. As long as BF1 is a solid game with a classic server browser/hosting it'll continue into the foreseeable future.

Charcoal

The people that get offended by stuff like this are amusing. I've been to Afghanistan twice. I don't get offended by things made about what has happened over there. Games and movies could never accurately capture what the experience is like to be there. They are made with entertainment in mind.
You've got one on me mate, but I couldn't agree more.

Wish they would've gone with the classic 1492/BF2 theme instead of what they used here. PS4 performance wasn't locked so I'm curious how this one will be with all the new destruction.

I dont expect the ps4 version to hold 60 fps. Bf4 doesnt even run 60 all the time. I guess the NEO version will be the one to get...

Portugeezer

I dont expect the ps4 version to hold 60 fps. Bf4 doesnt even run 60 all the time. I guess the NEO version will be the one to get...

BF4 drops below 60 a lot, but it's also going on 3 years old. Battlefront was almost always 60fps and looked great but it doesn't have as much destruction as BF1 supposedly will have.

Bolivar687

Banned
Man, no one else in AAA right now has the balls to make a WWI game, or put a black protagonist on a cover. And DICE just did both.

Can only speak for me, but it's not offense. It's a desire for diversity. Videos games are such a powerful and still growing medium, so it would be nice to see war games that explore stories and perspectives untold and expand beyond the way-too-common mold of set piece-heavy action game. Much like how This War of Mine and Valiant Hearts attempted to portray war in games in different ways.

As I was saying in another thread, I'd love to see a first person war game where you're in the shoes of a medic rather than a soldier, trying to save the wounded on the battlefield

Unless the campaign is differently-paced and structured (maybe? hopefully?), Battlefield isn't going to be a game that does that, but ideally one big budget game exploring this era will inspire more games to

legacyzero

Banned
Man, no one else in AAA right now has the balls to make a WWI game, or put a black protagonist on a cover. And DICE just did both.

So good. I was apprehensive about a WWI game, but this looks fantastic. And I always love it when games and movies do stuff like that to move things forward, bringing angry people along kicking and screaming.

Now watch this game is going to be so hugely popular and the next call of duty 2018 will be World War I or possibly Civil War. Ha ha ha, calling it now

RoKKeR

Now watch this game is going to be so hugely popular and the next call of duty 2018 will be World War I or possibly Civil War. Ha ha ha, calling it now

I wouldn't be surprised if it started a wave of other games going back to the past if it is indeed successful. Early response across the board seems fairly positive for the most part... we'll see how it sells.

Such a nice change of pace from more futuristic shooters we've been seeing lately and the lack of diverse characters in them.

Once I get that Red Baron Pack, I'll be ready for the dogfights in the air.

giphy.gif

packy34

I thought videogames were art. Or are we back to seeing videogames as toys that shouldn't be taken seriously? C'mon.

That's a pretty reductive argument. We all say the same things when people get upset with sensitive subjects in movies or TV shows. The fact is that media isn't reality, and it shouldn't be held to that standard. Some things are distasteful, sure, but I'm not seeing anything suggesting that here.

This turns my stomach. Just flat out the most offensive game I've ever seen.

I can name family members that died in this conflict, wept at the pictures and accounts of the dead and maimed that experienced this hell, was taught all the horrors of it from primary school, through my whole life, it's only ever been a symbol of the folly of war, the worst, most black and shameful era of British and European history. I've been to the actual battlefields and mass graves across Europe, held the minutes silence without fail every rememberence day my entire life, for as long as I could understand the meaning of it.

There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes and villains, this was mass murder, a scar on the history of our species, and every single person involved in it was a victim.

This trailer, the entire concept of this game, makes me feel physically sick, and just so fucking angry.

How fucking dare anyone make a game like this about the First World War.

I don't know what's worse, the sick fucking emotionless, greedy cunts that would seriously exploit this horror of an industrialised massacre, or the ignorant, soulless bastards that will give them money and enjoy it.

Anyone involved in this, or seriously think of buying this, should be ashamed of themselves.

Disagree heavily. We can get WWI films but not WWI games? World War 2 is okay because you aren't directly related to it? There were massive atrocities committed during that war too (any war really). I get the reaction but I disagree. Now if you dislike the tone I can understand that but it's not a legitimate complaint to say this about just this particular war.

Can only speak for me, but it's not offense. It's a desire for diversity. Videos games are such a powerful and still growing medium, so it would be nice to see war games that explore stories and perspectives untold and expand beyond the way-too-common mold of set piece-heavy action game. Much like how This War of Mine and Valiant Hearts attempted to portray war in games in different ways.

As I was saying in another thread, I'd love to see a first person war game where you're in the shoes of a medic rather than a soldier, trying to save the wounded on the battlefield

Unless the campaign is differently-paced and structured (maybe? hopefully?), Battlefield isn't going to be a game that does that, but ideally one big budget games exploring this era will inspire more games to

I don't necessarily need for this game to be as extreme as making you play a medic in the campaign to shove the horrors of war in your face but I essentially agree. I'm still interesting in Battlefield 1 because of the near untapped WW1 setting and potential Harlem Hellfighters stuff in the campaign, but the tone of this trailer is so, so, so boring and typical of the industry. Like in terms of soundtrack choice and editing I already thought it was a poor trailer, but the tone of this considering it's pretty much the first AAA WW1 game.... man. To make matters worse there are mustard gas and "mentally broken soldier" shots sprinkled in between all the scripted badassery. My eyes rolled out of my skull.

I think there's a way they could've made this trailer to focus on the intensity and ugliness of war while still getting across how good it can be as a game without tipping over into action-blockbuster territory. Something that's more war thriller than schlocky glorification.

Veritas_

Found one other frame of *gameplay* in the trailer, not sure if posted yet. Looks like a bolt action rifle of some sort.

B0Pb.png

That's a Gewehr 98. Not sure about the scope though, I've never seen a WW1 G98 with that the sight offset so much - it looks more like a Lee Enfield set up.

Edit - Actually I think that's a Lee Enfield, which makes more sense with the scope.

I wonder if they'd actually do something like the Civil War. So much of the combat was bayonets. The plots could be epic and the story amazing (there are so many fascinating stories in and around the Civil War from spy-gathered intel to slave revolts to battle strategy superiorit to grapeshot) but I'm not sure how the combat would play out in between slow musket reloads. If they can do it, by all means.

For the helicopters fans like me,what this game have to me?

We don't really have a lot of details yet, but there probably won't be anything in terms of helicopter mechanics if they're sticking to the gritty period accurate WW1 theme. Zeppelins I'd assume will be similar to the gunships from BF4 where it's AI piloted and people can spawn in the gunner positions. (I'm basing this on the sheer size of zeppelins that have been shown in the trailers so far.)

Bishop89

I was hesitant about it being ww1.. but this is just reminding myself how i love the pre-modern wars, and how i miss playing those games set in those times.

I really cant wait. It's going to be so much fun

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DICE commented on including the Harlem Hellfighter and the Bedouin woman and noted they were both playable (which was probably obvious): http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/06/ea-dices-lead-designer-answers-our-questions-about-battlefield-1/

VentureBeat said:
GamesBeat: The character you have on the front of the promotional stuff you were showing, the guy in the cape with the club and stuff, why that particular character?

Berlin: We thought it was a cool image for the cover. When we set out on this game, we wanted to depict not just the common view of what the war was like. We wanted to challenge some preconceptions. We want to delve into some of the unknowns of World War One. Maybe people don’t know that this person fought or that person fought, that this army was involved. We’re stretching out and bringing all those stories into the game. But I can’t go into any specific details as far as which armies or characters we’re depicting at this point.

GamesBeat: You’re talking about revealing sides of the war that people don’t necessarily know about. A lot of people have made note of the fact that your cover character is black, even though obviously black people fought in World War One. For you guys, was that a conscious decision, an opportunity to show that there was more breadth to this war than people know about?

Berlin: That’s the thing. People don’t know that this was the case. We want to show diversity in the game. That’s been a key goal. You can see in the trailer that there’s a Bedouin woman warrior on a horse. She’s a playable character in the single-player campaign.

Top Bottom