• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2 Thread(360)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Apharmd Battler said:
WHAT are you talking about, those options ar ein the XBox360 version. I verified it last night. Just hit start and there ya go?! You can turn down those annoying voice overs so they no loner crack your ear drums. You can adjust music, voice-over and sound effects.

Voice Over option is single player only, doesn't do a thing for the multiplayer issue.

Tiger

Banned
Schafer said:
Voice Over option is single player only, doesn't do a thing for the multiplayer issue.
Yeah, I turned it down and that dude still shouts like a mo fo when a team gets a flag.

Lying EA on Friday 14 April 2006 said:
The latest community update on the 360 version of Modern Combat

We are glad you are enjoying Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for the Xbox 360. We are aware that a small percentage of you are experiencing problems with the headset communicator. We are working on a solution for this, which will be released in a patch. In the meantime, a potential workaround is to log out of Xbox Live and then log back in. In addition, we have found that people with the full retail version and the marketplace demo may have issues with cross-game invites. To correct this, just delete the marketplace demo from your Xbox 360, since all of the demo content is contained in the full retail version.

Thanks and stay tuned for further updates.

C'mon and hurry up with it you idiots, that was almost 2 months ago

Good news: EA finally release a patch for this buggy mess
Bad news: The patch turns down the volume for the guy who screams "We've captured flag two" and that's pretty much it. The mic issues are still there, the collision bugs are still there, the disappearing friendly-troop-blue-circle bug is still there.

EA, I hate you

JB1981

marvelharvey said:
Good news: EA finally release a patch for this buggy mess
Bad news: The patch turns down the volume for the guy who screams "We've captured flag two" and that's pretty much it. The mic issues are still there, the collision bugs are still there, the disappearing friendly-troop-blue-circle bug is still there.

EA, I hate you

LOL. I know. Now the announcer guy is too low and you can't HEAR ANYONE in the game. Good job, EA.

Sho Nuff

Banned
This is such a fun game online, the whole vehicle thing just makes it so much more fun to me than GRAW. There's also really good balance with being able to take out vehicles too (Engineer class ftw).

Too bad about the ****ing bugs. Figures, I guess. EA = cocksmokers

coldvein

Banned
man, **** this shit.

i bought this pretty much on day one, i was all excited. i'd played the demo, thought it was really cool, except for the voice issues. Yet the voice issues made it into the retail version..FINALLY the game is patched, and they're still there? This is beyond frustrating to me. If this piece of shit worked properly it'd easily be my most played 360 game. Now I'm never buying an EA game again (i hope). : (

Nozi

Banned
Battlefield = best online 360 game right now. Almost perfect, just need a couple of patches, but the game puts every other online game on the console (yes GRAW, I'm looking at you) to shame.

TheDuce22

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
This is such a fun game online, the whole vehicle thing just makes it so much more fun to me than GRAW. There's also really good balance with being able to take out vehicles too (Engineer class ftw).

Too bad about the ****ing bugs. Figures, I guess. EA = cocksmokers

What are these bugs people are complaining about? Is it just the voice chat? (doesnt effect me since me and my friend always setup a private chat) This is my favorite xbox live game. Honestly, considering the scale, this is the most polished online 360 game ive played. I have yet to run into a singe bug. Also this is the perfect opportunity for me to ask, does going prone increase the damage of rocket launchers on tanks? Is there a certian point you should shoot at that does more damage?

Nozi

Banned
TheDuce22 said:
What are these bugs people are complaining about? Is it just the voice chat? (doesnt effect me since me and my friend always setup a private chat) This is my favorite xbox live game. Honestly, considering the scale, this is the most polished online 360 game ive played. I have yet to run into a singe bug. Also this is the perfect opportunity for me to ask, does going prone increase the damage of rocket launchers on tanks? Is there a certian point you should shoot at that does more damage?

There's some exploits some cheaters were using (to gain rank, which is pointless anyway). Amazingly, EA took action and starting banning the 'boosters'. Aside from that, I havent encountered many bugs.. the game runs seamlessly, even with full sides and I've had zero lag in hundreds of games.

TheDuce22

Banned
Nozi said:
There's some exploits some cheaters were using (to gain rank, which is pointless anyway). Amazingly, EA took action and starting banning the 'boosters'. Aside from that, I havent encountered many bugs.. the game runs seamlessly, even with full sides and I've had zero lag in hundreds of games.

Who gives a shit if people boost. Let them rank up and get their asses kicked over and over by the people who actually earned it. Sounds like alot of fun!

JB1981

I agree about the actual multiplayer aspect. The game online runs very smooth, although, I won't say that I haven't experienced any lag because I have. Tonight it was pretty evident, but overall, the online experience is much better than any other game on the system. I don't even attempt to play GRAW these days 'cause getting into a game, and then actually playing one without being dropped, is a total ****ing chore.

TheDuce22 said:
What are these bugs people are complaining about? I have yet to run into a singe bug.
Off the top of my head:

-50% chance of voicecomm not working (although private chat is OK since MS handles that)
-blue circles not appearing above friendlies, making team trigger happy teammates kill each other.
-tele-porting back across the map after you've driven somewhere
-millions of places where you can get stuck, meaning you have to wait to be killed or suicide.
-being shot through walls/around corners (this is due to lag and the way the hit detection works)

Those are the major ones I can think of, but there are tons more. This is one of the buggiest games I've played but even with all it's shortcomings, I still can't stop playing the damn thing.

TheDuce22 said:
Also this is the perfect opportunity for me to ask, does going prone increase the damage of rocket launchers on tanks? Is there a certian point you should shoot at that does more damage?

Going prone will make you more accurate, but won't deal any more damage. Aim for the rear of the vehicle or if you can't see the rear, aim for the rear of the side. However, if I'm driving a tank, shoot the front ;)

bengraven

Sorry to awaken this beast, but I tried the demo for the first time and I agree with you guys: this game is very under-rated. My only three problems are the same things you guys talk about (loud flag screaming, no voice chat, terrible helicopter controls, shitty EA servers), but I've played this demo straight for almost three days and have been having more fun than Halo, believe it or not. The controls are tight, the graphics are pretty goddamn good (with the exception of the shadows), and the maps are really well done.

I was going to buy the retail version, but two problems:

1) no money. :lol
2) some people have said that BRIDGETOOFAR is the most chosen (voted for) level in the game and since you'll spend most of your in-game time there, it's not really worth it to buy the retail game; just keep playing the demo.
I really, really want to try out the snowmobiles, though, and possibly some of the other vehicles not in BRIDGETOOFAR

Regardless, I'm eagerly awaiting this game and can fairly say I fell in love with it. It's keeping me unemployizoided... :lol

JB1981

bengraven said:
Sorry to awaken this beast, but I tried the demo for the first time and I agree with you guys: this game is very under-rated. My only three problems are the same things you guys talk about (loud flag screaming, no voice chat, terrible helicopter controls, shitty EA servers), but I've played this demo straight for almost three days and have been having more fun than Halo, believe it or not. The controls are tight, the graphics are pretty goddamn good (with the exception of the shadows), and the maps are really well done.

I was going to buy the retail version, but two problems:

1) no money. :lol
2) some people have said that BRIDGETOOFAR is the most chosen (voted for) level in the game and since you'll spend most of your in-game time there, it's not really worth it to buy the retail game; just keep playing the demo.
I really, really want to try out the snowmobiles, though, and possibly some of the other vehicles not in BRIDGETOOFAR

Regardless, I'm eagerly awaiting this game and can fairly say I fell in love with it. It's keeping me unemployizoided... :lol

EA's server isn't really shitty at all. BF2 is the best playing online game on the 360. And avoiding a round of BridgeTooFar is fairly easy - just do a search for a different map. Getting into a game takes mere seconds.

BuG

The helicopter controls are really fun once you figure out how to use them. I'm no master at flying the thing but I've seen others fly the thing as if it was nothing (aRCtiC vBi, a clanmate, being one of them).

The announcer has been turned way down, too much in fact. But it doesn't really bother me.

Like JB1981 said, the servers are pretty good. I'm in Australia and playing on the west coast servers is pretty good, the others are only bareable. **** you EA where are the Australasian servers?

RE: BridgeTooFar - There are often servers which rotate all maps rather than user voted, negating the DeadlyStabTooFar issue. If you can't find any of them you just need to get in a server with a handful of mates and all vote for the same, which should be enough to sway it in your favour.

TheDuce22

Banned
Ive seen people just dominate with those small helicopters. I think the difficult controls are one of the measures they took to keep it balanced.

-50% chance of voicecomm not working (although private chat is OK since MS handles that)
-blue circles not appearing above friendlies, making team trigger happy teammates kill each other.
-tele-porting back across the map after you've driven somewhere
-millions of places where you can get stuck, meaning you have to wait to be killed or suicide.
-being shot through walls/around corners (this is due to lag and the way the hit detection works)

Ok ive experienced most of that stuff and didnt really think of them as bugs. The only thing thats happened to me more than once is the vehicle thing. Thats more of a lag issue than anything. The key thing is none of those effect my experience at all because they happen so rarely and are eaisly corrected when they do.

JB1981

truffleshuffle83 said:
i cant seem to get into this game...GRRRRAAAAAAWWWWW for life

I'd agree if I didn't get dropped 75% of the time. Game is amazingly stable when it works, though.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Thanks to Tiger and others, I discovered BF2:MC this weekend and had an absolute blast. Best game yet on XBL. Tiger and I played GRAW after BF2 and the pacing just came to a screeching halt. I love GRAW. I think I love BF2 more. And, yes, I play the PC version and the PC version is better. BUT, it is good to play with your friends.

I'm with Truffle......I just can't seem to get into it. Not that its a bad game, but there is just too much I don't like about it. GRAW for life as well.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I've been playing the demo alot this past week and I've just ordered the full game, can't wait for it to arrive. :D

bengraven

My room mate and I just the game today, but have only played maybe two full games so far. It's hard to gain ranks when you're dropped just before the game is over. My points, my beautiful points, all gone.

Other than that, surprise sleeper hit of my year so far.

DenogginizerOS

I have formed a clan. If anyone wants to play with us, just send me a message in XBL (Denogginizer OS). We will need to practice and work together if we want to succeed. My impression is that there are several who know how to gain control of the maps very quickly and we need to devise ways to compete against these more skilled groups. Less rogue warriors and more team players, please.

Sleeper hit for me. Really surprised.

DenogginizerOS said:
I have formed a clan. If anyone wants to play with us, just send me a message in XBL (Denogginizer OS). We will need to practice and work together if we want to succeed. My impression is that there are several who know how to gain control of the maps very quickly and we need to devise ways to compete against these more skilled groups. Less rogue warriors and more team players, please.

I'll send you a message on XBL. I'm a 1st Sgt right now and pretty efficient at getting points and suppressing enemies into one spot. My top number of kills at once was 8 via airstrike.... follwed by a mortar strike.

I play as Support w/ hvy machine gun.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I refuse to buy this game.

But I am not above asking for a free copy now that Denogginizer is playing it.

Still, GRAW4LYFE.

MMaRsu

Banned
Damn i LOVE this game for real! It's really good online, don't have ANY problems with the headset at all :).

The voting system does kinda suck though.

TheDuce22

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Damn i LOVE this game for real! It's really good online, don't have ANY problems with the headset at all :).

The voting system does kinda suck though.

Some of the game rooms cycle through the maps.

SonnyBoy

My problem is that people who I respect on my gaming list are giving me different opinions. :lol I love GRAW to no extent and Im itching for something new to sink my teeth into.

I played the demo for BF2:MC and I hated it but I loved the Xbox demo when it dropped last year....Im soo confused.

Blockbuster is making it even harder by not renting out games for the 360.

truffleshuffle83 said:
i cant seem to get into this game...GRRRRAAAAAAWWWWW for life

DenogginizerOS

SonnyBoy said:
My problem is that people who I respect on my gaming list are giving me different opinions. :lol I love GRAW to no extent and Im itching for something new to sink my teeth into.

I played the demo for BF2:MC and I hated it but I loved the Xbox demo when it dropped last year....Im soo confused.

Blockbuster is making it even harder by not renting out games for the 360.

As someone who played the PC version of BF2 from the first day it was released, I was not too impressed with the demo either. However, the maps in the full retail version are quite different and tend to evolve into the same epic and exciting battles found in the pc version. The Renderware code is a little dark on my CRT, but the game runs solidly and is mostly free of lag. The voice chat seems to be proximity based and is a little wonky. All in all, it is still a very good online game for XBOX Live and fans of the Battlefield games that want to play with their XBL friends should definitely check it out. Those who know me know I rarely go this far to promote a single game, but this one has truly taken over my XBL life. Thanks to Tigerriot for the heads up.

SonnyBoy

DenogginizerOS said:
As someone who played the PC version of BF2 from the first day it was released, I was not too impressed with the demo either. However, the maps in the full retail version are quite different and tend to evolve into the same epic and exciting battles found in the pc version. The Renderware code is a little dark on my CRT, but the game runs solidly and is mostly free of lag. The voice chat seems to be proximity based and is a little wonky. All in all, it is still a very good online game for XBOX Live and fans of the Battlefield games that want to play with their XBL friends should definitely check it out. Those who know me know I rarely go this far to promote a single game, but this one has truly taken over my XBL life. Thanks to Tigerriot for the heads up.

You and others are making this hard for me. This would have been a day one purchase for me if I had liked the demo.

I purchased the PC version but I couldn't get into it because I didn't know anyone. I didn't have anyone to show me the ropes and I dont enjoy playing strategic games alone and with idiots. I guess thats why I fell in love with the Xbox demo.

If I can find this game at a good discount I think I might pick it up. I have both you and Tiger on my friends list. I have seen you two in GRAW lately so I guess I see why now.

DenogginizerOS said:

I play with the guys over at ZeroCommit.com so hit up the fourms and drop us challenge (or you can do so via XBL I believe). We have some heated battles and some excellent teamwork...too bad we keep playing against expoerts who stomp us into the ground, The game is fun as hell as I've stated earlier in this thread. Even as much as I loathe EA, I have to give them props on this team based game. It is one of the best games on XBL. I wish they'd release more content just to keep to keep giving the community love. Once you get used to the controls and the class roles, and you have a good crew to game with, this is a fantastic game. 24 players via XBL with no lag simply kicks @$$!!

The ONLY problem I have with the game is EA keeps having issues with the clan servers. There have been a few times where we couldn't set up a game against another clan because the servers kept going down. It makes many in the community angry because EA pissed and whined for M$ to open up XBL and let EA run servers, and yet their server support stinks to hell (almost every EA game has had prbloms on XBL on launch day). EA get off your @$$ and support the servers!

[/rant]

DenogginizerOS

EA needs to address the server issue of whether or not a server is rotating maps or if it is a vote based map system. That way, I can play more of the maps in ranked mode and not get stuck in Backstab, Deadly Pass, and Bridge Too Far. Plus, you should get medals whether you are in ranked maps or not. I got the Expert Marksmen medal (killed at least 10 with a sniper rifle before dying) in a match that I joined with a friend and did not find out until afterwards it was unranked. Bummer.

And go out and buy this game. It is that good.

BuG

What do you mean "address the server issue of whether or not a server is rotating maps or if it is a vote based map system"? If you go to custom game you can select what maps you'd like, and even if that doesn't work you can see in the server info window how the maps are rotated.

PS: Tell your friends to play ranked games only. I've never had that problem of not receiving a medal because my friends and I always play ranked.

One thing that does shit me though is that once you've gotten a medal you can't get it again. If I kick that much arse with a particular kit that I can get its medal again I should be rewarded for doing so. Just give me a number next to the medal indicating the number of times I've earnt it and I'll be happy. :(

DenogginizerOS

BuG said:
What do you mean "address the server issue of whether or not a server is rotating maps or if it is a vote based map system"? If you go to custom game you can select what maps you'd like, and even if that doesn't work you can see in the server info window how the maps are rotated.

PS: Tell your friends to play ranked games only. I've never had that problem of not receiving a medal because my friends and I always play ranked.

One thing that does shit me though is that once you've gotten a medal you can't get it again. If I kick that much arse with a particular kit that I can get its medal again I should be rewarded for doing so. Just give me a number next to the medal indicating the number of times I've earnt it and I'll be happy. :(

Cool. Was not aware you could filter this. I have been mostly just joining friend's matches so I assume they re playing ranked matches.

Agreed on the medal count. As in the PC version, it should have a multiplier attached. I guess this is an Achievement issue but it should be easily solved. EA (no surprise) is once again lagging behind in customer/product support.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just got the game, played a few really fun matches, especially this one below. :lol

177832076_1a3d319eb7_o.jpg

Such a damn shame it wasnt a ranked match though.

I'd really like to hook up with your clan(?) DenogginizerOS, if possible ofcourse. :)
I'm Euro though, so the time differece may affect it a bit but anyway. I'd prefer to play with some nice people and not just random odd strangers.

Tag's Tunesmith.

DenogginizerOS

Tunesmith,

Saw you on a lot this weekend. I finally got my Marksman and Expert marksman medals. Perhaps we can play some later tonight.

This game continues to surprise me.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
DenogginizerOS said:
Tunesmith,

Saw you on a lot this weekend. I finally got my Marksman and Expert marksman medals. Perhaps we can play some later tonight.

This game continues to surprise me.
Yeah, couldn't stop playing :lol , the marksman medal is the only one I've gotten so far, damn the others to hell, I had killed 9 people without dying during my last game as a spec ops and then a teammate decides to "switch sides" .. ugh. I want to be a Sergeant Major. :(

DenogginizerOS

chigiri said:
Yeah, couldn't stop playing :lol , the marksman medal is the only one I've gotten so far, damn the others to hell, I had killed 9 people without dying during my last game as a spec ops and then a teammate decides to "switch sides" .. ugh. I want to be a Sergeant Major. :(

What is weird is I have played 283 games, and I did not get the practiced or seasoned achievements. Have you gone to the BF2:MC site to check your stats.

BTW, I am now a Master Sergeant. What is your rank?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
DenogginizerOS said:
What is weird is I have played 283 games, and I did not get the practiced or seasoned achievements. Have you gone to the BF2:MC site to check your stats.

BTW, I am now a Master Sergeant. What is your rank?
Same as you, although only a medal stops me from advancing. 235 games played 205 wins, whee. Oddly enough it says I got the Medic medal, when it should say I got the Expert Sniper one, same on your profile.

You not getting your Practiced or Seasoned achievements is due to you not acually having participated in 50 sessions yet, the game doesnt count games played as sessions.

One session seems to be 1 or more games, and then an exit to the menu. The game also doesnt seem to coun't sessions or achievements unless you stay around in the game until the voting for the next map starts.

I'm currently on 69 or so I think, hence I got the Practiced one.

DenogginizerOS

chigiri said:
Same as you, although only a medal stops me from advancing. 235 games played 205 wins, whee. Oddly enough it says I got the Medic medal, when it should say I got the Expert Sniper one, same on your profile.

You not getting your Practiced or Seasoned achievements is due to you not acually having participated in 50 sessions yet, the game doesnt count games played as sessions.

One session seems to be 1 or more games, and then an exit to the menu. The game also doesnt seem to coun't sessions or achievements unless you stay around in the game until the voting for the next map starts.

I'm currently on 69 or so I think, hence I got the Practiced one.

I think the website is messed up. It says I have played 235 games with 205 wins as well but on the little stats screen, it says I have only played 48 games. It also shows me having the Medic medal as well. Surprise, surprise: EA's software is buggy.

Top Bottom