• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2042 | Open Beta | Early Access 6-7 Oct | General Availability 8-9 Oct

Arun1910

Vanguard is dog shit compared to this. Even on the PC. This runs buttery smooth and the textures are amazing.
Buttery? Pretty much everyone is getting weird stutters.

However considering this is a 3 month old build with no official drivers, performance is really good.

Anyone having issues connecting to the servers on PS5? i was able to play a few hours ago and now i'm trying to log in but i get an error servers are unable to connect.
Can’t get in either on PS5 w/ EA Play.

Edit: Seems like they deployed a fix 7 hours ago, but it’s still not working for me.

Last edited:
Played for like 30 minutes on PC. A few frame drops here and there but overall it's smooth.
I gave up trying to remap keys and just grabbed my Xbox controller. And it was better than I expected.

Romulus

The game looks and runs like shit. Serviceable on PS5, but it looks very similar to the Ps4 version outside of of more foilage and shadows. Just overall very unimpressed with this, looks worse than BF3 on PC. Granted it's the beta.

This vid has framerate, shadows, resolution comparisons.

Last edited:
been playing for an hour. Haven't had 1 second of fun yet.
This is the same feeling i felt playing the last game. Just waiting for the fun to start. And it never came with BFV

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
There is some performance issues but man, if they stablize them, this is going to be really run.

Digging the map. It's huge.

Minor things like was stated earlier, you can't map the revive to the weapon swap key. I had a team mate die on me in a match a I just left prior to this post.

HDR implementation is actually good on PC.

Sybrix

Played a few games on PC

Its fun, its Battlefield.

The map is meh, im sure on release the mixture of maps will be good.

Its nothing groundbreaking, the UI takes some getting used to, the menu music is very Half Life.

So far so good.

HOWEVER>>>>>>>>

For those of us wanting Bad Company 2 levels of destruction........ its not in this game, sadly :(

Last edited:
Really liking it so far, playing mostly on XSX but also downloaded it on my X1X to compare and wow, XSX feels soooooo much better (shocker).

Hoping I can get the couple of other people in my little group to upgrade because of this game.

Here's a rough overlay of Xbox One map in color, Xbox Series X map in gray

z63WpIV.jpg

Thedtrain

Movement feels weird
I hate driving vehicles in this
The TTK feels wrong

I'm enjoying it despite these issues. Hopefully feedback from the beta will fix these issues.

It appears the issue I'm having with the Beta not working for EA Play is a known issue which makes me feel better. Still I'd much rather play it on PS5 as I generally play shooters better on the Dualsense then the Xbox controller (not sure why honestly).

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
The game looks and runs like shit. Serviceable on PS5, but it looks very similar to the Ps4 version outside of of more foilage and shadows. Just overall very unimpressed with this, looks worse than BF3 on PC. Granted it's the beta.

This vid has framerate, shadows, resolution comparisons.

That’s a banned source, BTW

ZywyPL

Banned
Played about 20-30min. and uninstalled. It's the same dull experience as every year, I'm just surprised so many people needed twice the playercount and twice the size of the maps to finally realize that.The shooting isn't fun at all, killing isn't fun at all, and certainly walking across such huge maps isn't fun, because vehicles are nowhere to be seen. It's just a one giant random mess, where kills aren't fun because most of the time the enemies don't even know what hit them, it's like you have a frag served on a plate, and vice versa, you die without even knowing what the hell and where from hit you. Because of the map structure (or should I rather say lack of it) the game is seriously missing that competitive aspect, like yeah you killed someone, yeah you got killed, yeah you captured a point, yeah you messed with a tank or heli for a bit, but none of that seems to matter at all, you could as well just spawn at the base and wait for the match to end, that's how dull the experience is for me personally, who cares if you win the match or not, you're not having any fun anyway. The guns don't have any feeling to them, they're just there like in any low-budget/indie shooter. And The UI is as always a clusterfuck. Looking at the comments here I think the beta will do more harm than good for the game's launch. I personally sincerely hope the game bombs hard, so that EA/DICE could reconsider going back to Bad Company with its 24-32 players, tight, streamlined maps, like two dozen of vehicles at once, and full environmental destruction.

Landero

Neo Member
Loving the game, really looking forward to it. But the TTK feels too high/fast to me. High TTK is a COD thing. BF is supposed to be a bit lower, more reasonable. I don't want to run across a huge map for 5 min only to be gunned down in .01 sec with no chance to win.

well im not feeling any recoil or bullet drop.

i put like 100s of hours into BF 4, Bad Company 2...BF 2. This is not like those. Its not like BF V either. Its not good but its bad in a different way than V or One.

The HUD is a bit much. And i see no options to get all this useless junk off the screen. The controller hint pick-up weapon or enter vehicle things are made for ants. Half the time the blue dot above a friendly just blends into the background.

I run out of ammo constantly. Sitting there waiting for a revive thats never coming, who thinks this is a good mechanic? Whereas Halo Infinite feels like a throwback in a good way. This feels like an old BF game in a bad way. Like a regression.

the screen gets bright when I ADS. This also doesn't feel futuristic. It feels like a worse BF 3

Mr.ODST

That’s a banned source, BTW
Is it?

Also Ive noticed every PS5 player saying it looks like shit, Series X players saying it looks incredible.

Ive played on Series S and PC and PC looks incredible, not tried on Series X or PS5 (dont have code for PS5).

There shouldn't really be any differences.

VN1X

Banned
Played about 20-30min. and uninstalled. It's the same dull experience as every year, I'm just surprised so many people needed twice the playercount and twice the size of the maps to finally realize that.The shooting isn't fun at all, killing isn't fun at all, and certainly walking across such huge maps isn't fun, because vehicles are nowhere to be seen. It's just a one giant random mess, where kills aren't fun because most of the time the enemies don't even know what hit them, it's like you have a frag served on a plate, and vice versa, you die without even knowing what the hell and where from hit you. Because of the map structure (or should I rather say lack of it) the game is seriously missing that competitive aspect, like yeah you killed someone, yeah you got killed, yeah you captured a point, yeah you messed with a tank or heli for a bit, but none of that seems to matter at all, you could as well just spawn at the base and wait for the match to end, that's how dull the experience is for me personally, who cares if you win the match or not, you're not having any fun anyway. The guns don't have any feeling to them, they're just there like in any low-budget/indie shooter. And The UI is as always a clusterfuck. Looking at the comments here I think the beta will do more harm than good for the game's launch. I personally sincerely hope the game bombs hard, so that EA/DICE could reconsider going back to Bad Company with its 24-32 players, tight, streamlined maps, like two dozen of vehicles at once, and full environmental destruction.
i only played one and a half match so far but from what I've played and seen these are pretty much my thoughts exactly.

I really miss the intimate feel of BF3's Rush mode. That was so frenetic, focused and fun. No bullshit engagements either as there were always clear frontlines and stuff. Maybe if this game had a proper Rush mode I'd bite but so far I'm not sold.

Landero

Neo Member
The map is weird, everything’s shiny and new, it’s not lived in.
I agree when your around the buildings. It reminds me of the buildings in Ghost Recon Breakpoint. Everything is slabs of concrete, sterile and boring. But when your in the forest/jungle areas it feels alot better.

Last edited:
maybe theres a ton of futuristic stuff in the retail release. But atm....BF4 and Division feel more futuristic than this.

This feels like what they would call a futuristic shooter back in the 90s. This isn't even GRAW level

splattered

Just played around 30 mins on Series X ... been so long since i played battlefield now i guess i need to get used to the TTK. Seems incredibly fast and lots of times like just a single non headshot kills me? Game looks great but textures were constantly popping in and out. Didn't notice too much with frames or anything like that but the textures were distracting sometimes.

As i was worried about, the maps do feel a little TOO big... lots and lots of running sometimes in the beginning but once you start taking over nodes you can just spawn into/near a busy area and it's not so bad.

Don't regret preordering now, even if it does launch buggy. They will fix it and i have a ton of other stuff to play.

Excited to get into this and also some of the remade maps when they are available!

MiguelItUp

Do you honestly believe this is a three month old build? Lol
Yes. Multiple devs already confirmed it's an older build with bugs that are already fixed.

It's also a very common practice for the beta builds/demos to be dated compared to the retail build at the time.

In my experience of working with demos, betas, and alphas, the builds were developed separately from the "final" build. Those builds were then refined as best as they could be and then released when ready. Meanwhile the "final" build, continued to get worked on while all that is being done. Some bugs and issues that span all builds are fixed, some bugs only occur on specific builds, etc.

Javthusiast

Banned

It's so much this. This new game isn't even remotely as good as Bad Company 2 was on a fucking ps3.

in general i like items on Directional pads. But i feel like there could be better use of controller real estate here.

A dedicated ping button. A dedicated gun attachments button. Meanwhile grenade and grapple hook are relegated to the d-pad.
As someone that plays a ton of Apex Legends and played a ton of BF4....this ping button isn't good. Its light years away from Apex. And for some odd reason its not even as good as spotting ppl in BF4 8 years ago. RB/R1 would be best suited to grenades or a grapple gun.

and like any normal person im using bumper jumper. So why the gun attachments button would be there i don't get

RNG

Equipping an armor plate animation straight up ripped from Warzone lol.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
in general i like items on Directional pads. But i feel like there could be better use of controller real estate here.

A dedicated ping button. A dedicated gun attachments button. Meanwhile grenade and grapple hook are relegated to the d-pad.
As someone that plays a ton of Apex Legends and played a ton of BF4....this ping button isn't good. Its light years away from Apex. And for some odd reason its not even as good as spotting ppl in BF4 8 years ago. RB/R1 would be best suited to grenades or a grapple gun.

and like any normal person im using bumper jumper. So why the gun attachments button would be there i don't get
The full game will probably have custom button mapping.

I would prefer grenades on L1 instead of the Plus system.

MiguelItUp

As someone that has loved and played BF since 1942, the experiences certainly vary to a certain degree, but it's still Battlefield. Which is what BF fans typically want. I don't think they needed that to realize anything, BF and COD are both some of the most successful IPs and have been for over a decade. So much so that we see new iterations every year, etc. That means they're going to run stale in due time, at least for a lot of people.

But COD was always about close quarters combat, and BF was always about large open scale combat with vehicles. While COD has done things to "change up" its experience (adding larger maps, vehicles, etc.) BF just focused on improving on what they've always done.

The TTK feels fine to me for the most part, but could be improved as it's an easy fix. The map is HUGE, but that's why you have the option to spawn on squad members, on captured points, etc. Just like previous BFs. You don't want to run on foot a WHOLE lot, unless, well, you want to. Be it for flanking or otherwise. There's just a whole lot of terrain. Vehicles are definitely around, but everyone and their mom is taking one, which isn't too uncommon with the BF series, haha. One person taking a 4/5 seater vehicle is unfortunately standard.

With Conquest your kills never mattered, it's strictly capturing points. So you gotta do whatever you can to make sure points are captured and maintained. If you're expecting more for kills, your playing the wrong game, at least until there are other modes.

Eh, I think the weapons are fine, do they need some work on recoil? Some of them, yeah. But a lot of the audio is solid IMO. The revolver is but one example of this.

The UI is something I think DICE has always struggled with, especially with the games that have a modern/semi-modern setting. I do think it COULD certainly be better, but it also could be worse. If it improves, great, if not, it's fine.

There are actually a lot of people that are enjoying it quite a bit, and there's nothing wrong with it. It won't bomb, just like COD won't bomb. This game feels more like Battlefield than a lot of the recent iterations, IMO. Bad Company was a spin-off, a Battlefield light if you will, but it was never meant to take Battlefield's place. Some people liked BC1/2 more than any other game, and that's great. The sad thing is that will never come back around until they make a 3, or decide to utilize similar modes.

TL;DR to each their own. It's okay to not like what you played. Is it perfect? No, but I personally think there's a lot of promise. If you disagree, there's nothing wrong with that! I personally feel some of the negativity in this thread is a bit much. Especially regarding visuals, at least on PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom