• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 at PAX Prime a.k.a. WTF DICE

TheCloser

Banned
This. There are so much positive feedback on the Xbone controller. A few people saying slightly negative things about hardly makes it a bad controller.

Wait till you try it, then pick up your 360 controller and I guarantee you that you will prefer the 360 controller.

FourMyle

I don't understand why DICE is so afraid to show this game off in its entirety. Running on devkit units, 64 players, etc. GG has been showing off Killzone: SF for 6 months now.

SMZC

Wow, just because they spent that ridiculous amount of money on the research for the new controller doesn't mean it guarantees every person that touches it will think its better than the previous version...

I don't understand your logic at all.....

I gotta say, I'm dying to know how much Sony spent on improving their controller.

Too bad we'll probably never know.

Justin

It was at the Xbox booth, with fake Xbox Ones sitting atop the boxes containing the Win 7 PCs playing Battlefield 4. I saw the desktop on multiple demo stations, and pausing the game showed the mouse cursor. The HUD displayed keyboard keys. There were zero unlocks. Player count was tiny. There were 20 demo stations total and a bunch of them weren't operational.

I also saw Knack crash and the guy working the booth had to restart the devkit. Got a tiny close-up peek at the PS4 login UI.

Tearaway actually crashed on me also. Such is the nature of unfinished games.

Totalbiscuit just upladed a video with impressions. They told him it was running the PC build and it sounds like the frame rate was a little spotty. He played it but didnt mention anything about limited players. It could have been because of the non-operational demo stations.

He also says he preferred the triggers on the Xbox controller but liked the PS4 controller a bit more.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So, this demo was "on Xbox One." Except it was the PC version of the game. It crashed to the Win 7 desktop and the UI had mice and keyboard keys. And when you died it showed the BF4 @ E3 ad. So it's the E3 PC demo with an Xbone controller hooked up. And it's 8v8 on a full-sized Siege of Shanghai conquest map. With nothing unlocked. No scope on the sniper, no medkits, no rocket launchers, nothing. And I was thrown in halfway through a match. I encountered like 4 enemies the whole time. Biggest waste of an hour in line ever.

I had to rant because why is a demo for a mega-blockbuster game so damn embarrassing?
Does it actually specify that the demo is running on XBOX One or is it simply a case where they are using XB1 controllers? EA did this at Gamescom quite a bit but they never denied that we were looking at PC versions.

I questioned them on this at the NFS Rivals demo and they told me that it was easiest to show the game on PC but they wanted people to get a feel for the new controllers. Outside of those controllers, it was never specified which version we were playing so they weren't exactly lying.

I had thought that BF4 was running on a PS4 devkit at Gamescom, though.

I also saw Knack crash and the guy working the booth had to restart the devkit. Got a tiny close-up peek at the PS4 login UI.
Yup. I saw this with the Second Son demo as well. They were still finishing the setup when we entered the room.

Samyy

I don't understand why DICE is so afraid to show this game off in its entirety. Running on devkit units, 64 players, etc. GG has been showing off Killzone: SF for 6 months now.

Im assuming a lot of devs are rushing to get the next-gen versions up to snuff, I feel like the current-gen ones are really the focus.

This was the screen shown upon death:

I am not a liar.

No one's saying you are. You are not the only one at PAX. We're just pointing out that something is not right here, and that if both Major Nelson and the guys on the official BF twitter said a beta build was going to be shown and it turned out it wasn't, then someone screwed up big time.

I was thinking the same thing.

So much bickering during new console launches. You would assume this community was mature enough to just be happy about both systems and admit to themselves they'll get both eventually.

Hey I just was excited for the impressions of a 64p online BF4 demo that major nelson advertised and it isn't being shown, yet.

I don't care about the controllers, I just need to hold them myself. I just had to correct the guy who basically thought the controller had to be better because of the money spent on it....its all opinions, no matter the money spent on developments...

Damn, that is pretty disappointing. Hopefully that isn't the build they use for the beta lol...
Totalbiscuit just upladed a video with impressions. They told him it was running the PC build and it sounds like the frame rate was a little spotty. He played it but didnt mention anything about limited players. It could have been because of the non-operational demo stations.

He also says he preferred the triggers on the Xbox controller but liked the PS4 controller a bit more.
He liked the PS4 thumbsticks* a bit more :p

I was thinking the same thing.

So much bickering during new console launches. You would assume this community was mature enough to just be happy about both systems and admit to themselves they'll get both eventually.

Does it actually specify that the demo is running on XBOX One or is it simply a case where they are using XB1 controllers? EA did this at Gamescom quite a bit but they never denied that we were looking at PC versions.

I questioned them on this at the NFS Rivals demo and they told me that it was easiest to show the game on PC but they wanted people to get a feel for the new controllers. Outside of those controllers, it was never specified which version we were playing so they weren't exactly lying.

I had thought that BF4 was running on a PS4 devkit at Gamescom, though.

Yup. I saw this with the Second Son demo as well. They were still finishing the setup when we entered the room.

Major Nelson implied on his blog it was for Xbox One cause he was advertising it...

Seanspeed

Banned
Its his opinion, when you try it go ahead and post your opinion?
Wouldnt you think he has some idea having tried it?

Why should he stop hes posting his impression?
It goes beyond being just somebody's opinion when he's saying he *guarantees* that everybody will prefer the 360 controller over the new one.

Surely you're not really defending this guy? :/

Samyy

It goes beyond being just somebody's opinion when he's saying he *guarantees* that everybody will prefer the 360 controller over the new one.

Surely you're not really defending this guy? :/

Don't really see the issue, the X360 controller was considered to be one of the best ever made, you don't think messing with that could have affected some peoples perception of it?

And why are you so bothered by it? As other people have said tons of other people have posted/talked about their impressions, a lot of them were positive.

Have you ever recommended someone something, a restaurant or a movie and "guarenteed" they would like it? Its a fairly common phrase, I've used it myself. How dare people do that.

Hey I just was excited for the impressions of a 64p online BF4 demo that major nelson advertised and it isn't being shown, yet.

I don't care about the controllers, I just need to hold them myself. I just had to correct the guy who basically thought the controller had to be better because of the money spent on it....its all opinions, no matter the money spent on developments...

I didn't mean to refer to your post. I was agreeing that GAF loves hyperbole as a word. Then commenting on how silly the console hate is for a mature in tune community like GAF.

I am sorry it came off wrong. I didn't intend to offend you.

GrizzNKev

Banned
No one's saying you are. You are not the only one at PAX. We're just pointing out that something is not right here, and that if both Major Nelson and the guys on the official BF twitter said a beta build was going to be shown and it turned out it wasn't, then someone screwed up big time.

Yeah then. They either accidentally got the wrong demo (how does that even happen?) or they're all lying out their asses.

Samyy

So what if somebody does buy an XboxOne and likes the newer controller better? Will you admit being wrong? Or are you going to call them a liar?

You mean they'll have an opinion, like this guy? Damn man. I didn't know they could be different!

ToyBroker

Banned
So what if somebody does buy an XboxOne and likes the newer controller better? Will you admit being wrong? Or are you going to call them a liar?

Can you shh please.

I'm trying to read PAX Prime impressions and youre muddying this thread up complaining about another member. A member who is posting his impressions btw.

TheCloser

Banned
Oh I have no problem with admitting that I was wrong if someone prefers the X1 controller. That being said, it's highly unlikely. As far as I'm concerned, the 360 controller is the best so far but I haven't tried the ps4's controller so we'll see.

Djin1979

The Xbone controller is perfect... except the LB/RB bumpers, they are awfull, if you press them too close to the pivot, the button won't click and the input wont be registered.

IN&OUT

Banned

GrizzNKev

Banned
Oh I have no problem with admitting that I was wrong if someone prefers the X1 controller. That being said, it's highly unlikely. As far as I'm concerned, the 360 controller is the best so far but I haven't tried the ps4's controller so we'll see.

It's not like I was being an ass or fanboyish in what I said, right? I'm saying the DS4 finally reaches 360 controller levels of greatness, but the Xbone controller doesn't really match my preferences and hand size.

Let's stop being so absolute in these terms.

ToyBroker

Banned
It's not like I was being an ass or fanboyish in what I said, right? I'm saying the DS4 finally reaches 360 controller levels of greatness, but the Xbone controller doesn't really match my preferences and hand size.

You were perfectly fine.

The 1 dude complaining is just a little sensitive I guess.

Seanspeed

Banned

Its highly unlikely that ONE person will prefer the newer Xbox controller over the old one?

Holy crap.

And wow at people defending this nonsense. I don't see the problem with pointing out when people are using hyberbole on this board. I'm sure if somebody was saying something as laughably negative about the PS4, I'd be jumped on immediately.

Its one thing to post your impression and say YOU prefer the old one. To try and state the new one is objectively worse kind of ruins my ability to take the 'impression' seriously.

B.O.O.M

Did you get to use the track pad at all?

and really glad to hear about Tearaway too

GrizzNKev

Banned
Did you get to use the track pad at all?

and really glad to hear about Tearaway too

I instinctively reached to press select to check the scoreboard in Killzone and was totally confused when it wasn't there. It's going to feel weird for a while. Clicking down the touchpad in different places for different functions is really cool though.

TheCloser

Banned
Its highly unlikely that ONE person will prefer the newer Xbox controller over the old one?

Holy crap.

And wow at people defending this nonsense. I don't see the problem with pointing out when people are using hyberbole on this board. I'm sure if somebody was saying something as laughably negative about the PS4, I'd be jumped on immediately.

Its one thing to post your impression and say YOU prefer the old one. To try and state the new one is objectively worse kind of ruins my ability to take the 'impression' seriously.

Bro I'm done. Find someone else to troll. Time for me to leave this thread.

Djin1979

that's a big problem if you ask me.

It really depends on how you hold the controller, as for me it is a huge deal because I have big hands and I always press the triggers (DS3 or x360 controller) on their top edges, anything else cramped.

ramb0211

Banned
Safe to say people getting a few minutes with the successor to the 360 controller aren't all going to come away satisfied. It's different from the thing that was extremely good for 8 years. Give your hands a week to adjust when they come out, and if you still hate it then that's that.

ToyBroker

Banned
I instinctively reached to press select to check the scoreboard in Killzone and was totally confused when it wasn't there. It's going to feel weird for a while. Clicking down the touchpad in different places for different functions is really cool though.

Ya that's one thing that's gonna take a little bit to get used to. Forgetting there's no select and such.

Do you have a response to the other guy about the trackpad bending over the top of the controller? Could you feel it on your fingers in the back like he did? He said he kept wanting to peck at it with his fingers while holding it. Seems kinda weird to me since it's so high up but was wondering.

As for the Xbone impact triggers--they have to be specifically implemented in a game for them to be utilized...or else you just get normal rumble.

Trolling? Wow.

Say some ridiculous nonsense, get called out for it, call the other person a troll. Haha.

Like 3 different people have told you to shh or that it's his opinion so far. Take a hint.

Top Bottom