• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

sflufan

Banned
I'm pleased that PS4 players now have the opportunity to finally engage in 64 player Conquest...

...only to discover that NOT ONE SINGLE Conquest map in BF4 was designed with 64 players in mind.

Insaniac

did they seriously remove the ability to form a squad prior to joining a server? Why on earth would they think that was a good idea?
coupled with broken queues its impossible to get my friends into a game with me without joining a nearly empty server

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Jackfrags' assessment of Second Assault:

Metro and Caspian are good updates, good changes to make them feel different
Firestorm is basically the same map, a bit "lazy"
Oman was already a good map, also "lazy"

Meh. Looking forward to China Rising.

I'm fine with "lazy" Oman. It already was the best map in BF3 by a good green country mile.

And honestly, I'd rather have Firestorm over Kharg (with helicopter droppers onto an inaccessible from the ground roof campers) and Norshal (that cheese mobile). But I'd rather have Sharqi over all of them.

Oman->Sharqi->anything else is gravy from BF3.

>>64 player maps<<

Shanhai
Rouge
Paracel

That's about it. And it depends on the mode. All the others seem to be built for 32 players in mind, and expect that with Second Assault. China Rising is the one that'll be the first true test of 64-players in mind. Which, I'm leaning toward a "no."

antigoon

Booted the game up on my PC last night after giving up on it for over a week due to crashing and other issues.

Tried to join a game on Battlelog, when it notified me that I needed to update my browser plug in. Whatever, fine. I download and install the thing, then click continue like it tells me to, only to have the notification pop up again telling me I need go update my plug in. I end up downloading and installing the damn thing like 5 times in Chrome to no avail. I open up Firefox and it just works. The fuck.

Get into a game, play for about 20 minutes and crash.

Glad to see nothing has changed. God damn game should be called Hasslefield. I honestly just wish I could get my money back.

did they seriously remove the ability to form a squad prior to joining a server? Why on earth would they think that was a good idea?
coupled with broken queues its impossible to get my friends into a game with me without joining a nearly empty server

I've had a lot of success just joining onto a friend and getting the "balancing so you can join your friend" thing.

Smo21

I bought the ps4 and am upgrafing with the $10 upgrade and its taking forever to install the multiplayer. Been an hour and its only at 43%. Is this normal?

Beaner

I bought the ps4 and am upgrafing with the $10 upgrade and its taking forever to install the multiplayer. Been an hour and its only at 43%. Is this normal?

It's 33gigs, took me quite a fair bit of time to download to the extent of being able to play multiplayer.

MegaBusta

Man, I don't remember the last game that had this amount of crashing. I was only able to finish maybe 5 rounds from 3 pm to Midnight. This is getting beyond frustrating, especially since BF4 fixed a lot of what I didn't like in 3 and I actually want to play!

The Planetside 2 Alpha crashed less than this.

Can someone please show a list of which gameplay modes have what vehicles? I really want to fly the attack helicopter but I don't know what map or mode it is in. Same goes with Scout Copters and Planes.

Paches

My updated web plugin for Battle Log just doesn't install at all or Battle Log doesn't recognize that I have installed it. Anyone have a solution? Tried googling tons of answers, but nothing is working.

Finally fixed it, but it only works in IE for some reason, not Chrome. I had to make several registry edits to get the plugins to be allowed. Absolutely ridiculous.

Spl1nter

Not really, at best Golmud Railway could be decent as a 64 player map ( oh and Shangai I guess ). Thought it really lack cover for infantry ( thought less than Transmission ).

I find rogue transmission works great in 64 players one of my favourite maps. Hainan resort is great as well. Although I think it would be even better with two more additional points placed on the map.

The only maps that dont work well are Lancing Dam, Zavod, Dawnbreaker and Locker. Locker obviously wasnt designed for that many players and the other three have design flaws. Zavod is too linear, flat and close. Dawnbreaker is too small and all points are easily accessible and Dam has poor flag layout and vehicle selection.

Also dont understand the lack of cover for infantry on Shanghai. Infantry dominate vehicles on the map with so many angles of attack possible.

The whole thing screams lazy to me, but I think that was the point. They wanted to get content out quickly, and recycling maps from the same engine is the best way.

Extremely lazy. I really expect Sharqi, Wake, and Karkand to be available at some point for free with Premium.

Grief.exe

Man, I don't remember the last game that had this amount of crashing. I was only able to finish maybe 5 rounds from 3 pm to Midnight. This is getting beyond frustrating, especially since BF4 fixed a lot of what I didn't like in 3 and I actually want to play!

The Planetside 2 Alpha crashed less than this.

I'm in three closed alphas/betas right now and they are far more stable than this.

elyetis

Also dont understand the lack of cover for infantry on Shanghai. Infantry dominate vehicles on the map with so many angles of attack possible.
I meant for Galmud, I find Galmud and transmission to mostly be grinder because you always have to move without cover ( heck I can't even like Transmission at 48player because you are only meat for tank and sniper in that map ).

As for which map work at 64 player I guess it depend what level of action people want, for me 64 player server isn't about having even more action, it's should be about having bigger map while still having decent action. I already consider most map far busy enough at 48 players ( as in you almost never can ninja capture a flag ). With 64 players on most bf4 maps I feel like I'm playing soccer match on a tennis court.
To give a good comparison point, I found tha Alborz Mountains and maybe Bandar desert where the only actually good 64 player map in bf3 ( with Oman from bf2 ).

Smo21

It's 33gigs, took me quite a fair bit of time to download to the extent of being able to play multiplayer.

2 hours total now and its only at 53%. 2k installed in about 30 minutes and its >40gb. Is it a battlefield issue or is it my ps4? This is just the install, I had it download last night.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I saw that vid tweeted by a DICE dev so im sure they're gonna fix it.

That is just fucking insanely stupid...
How? It doesnt look like an easy to spot bug.

Could be hitboxes, server sync, weapon config. A bunch of stuff.

Pop

I can't play...period

I played 4 matches earlier and two of those crashed me back to the home screen for error reporting on Ps4. Now I just tried again and when I went to open Battlelog it crashed again. This is ridiculous.

And in those two matches that worked by some miracle, all I was doing was rubberbanding everywhere. Sound would only work half the time if I was lucky. Wtf is this shit

I'm in three closed alphas/betas right now and they are far more stable than this.

Just the fact that it shipped with that atrocious sound bug that cuts out during certain maps at a near 100% chance is something that should absolutely have failed submission. The crashes (and more frustrating, the low fps dips and macro-stuttering that almost result in a crash) are just terrible on top of awful.

F-- would fail 1st party submission under normal conditions. Really unprofessional work.

Tak3n

Banned
Numbers have dramatically dwindled on PS4, I wonder if Dice has lost them

PC numbers continue to be very impressive

Currently online players:

PC

PS3

XBOX360

PS4

Bombless

There is now a Control Center section on the Battlelog forums with subsections for each version of the game : PC, PS3/360 and PS4/Xbone. Each contains updates on what the devs are doing/working on.

From the PC section :
The next PC update is in the works, and we are tracking to fix a few items you have given us feedback on.

Specifically, we are looking at the Commander EMP blur effect that you have noticed, as well as the intermittent sound bug that happens most frequently on the Golmud Railway map.

While we don&#8217;t have a solid date for this patch just yet, we just wanted to let you know some of the things we&#8217;re looking at right now (besides increasing stability overall.)

Finally, Youtuber jackfrags sent us a great video where he demonstrates the so-called &#8221;1 shot kill bug&#8221; [youtube.com], where it looks like weapons sometimes deal too much damage (although the real issue might be more complex.) We are reproducing this bug and working to fix it as soon as possible.

Stay tuned to the Battlefield 4 Control Room for more updates as they happen.

So PC update went from "next week" to "when it's ready". They probably cancelled it once Jackfrag's video came up.

Edit : And on the topic of stability, apart from the sound bug on conquest versions of Railway and Dam, there's no more problems to report on my side.

K1ng P3n

Haven't been able to check all morning but how are Xbox One users experiences?

Is there a Party system?

Does Conquest work?

How does it run?

Haven't checked the party system yet, conquest runs fine just played a match and haven't had it on long enough to know how it really runs. It is quite though.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
There is now a Control Center section on the Battlelog forums with subsections for each version of the game : PC, PS3/360 and PS4/Xbone. Each contains updates on what the devs are doing/working on.

From the PC section :
At least they acknowledge the 1-hit kill problem and don't go all "its a feature!" on us.

Alright Gaf I know a lot of you are having issues and whatever but my limited time spent with BF4 on my X1 last night was glorious. I'm seriously considering Premium...is it worth it?

Beaner

2 hours total now and its only at 53%. 2k installed in about 30 minutes and its >40gb. Is it a battlefield issue or is it my ps4? This is just the install, I had it download last night.

When I did it, single player was downloaded and installed fairly quickly, however the multiplayer download took many hours. Are you sure you have the full file downloaded? You can check in settings -> storage management, it'll say the current download progress in there (even though notifications can show downloaded and installed, the multiplayer download didn't show up in there for me).

If it is fully downloaded and is just an install issue, then I'm afraid I've got no idea.

Smo21

You are correct, it says 26gb/34gb. Guess it installs the rest while downloading. Good thing I have unlimited internet. I hope other downloadable games don't take this long in the future.

Thank you very much.

Grief.exe

Just the fact that it shipped with that atrocious sound bug that cuts out during certain maps at a near 100% chance is something that should absolutely have failed submission. The crashes (and more frustrating, the low fps dips and macro-stuttering that almost result in a crash) are just terrible on top of awful.

F-- would fail 1st party submission under normal conditions. Really unprofessional work.

I highly doubt they did a QA pass at all on the current build.

Numbers have dramatically dwindled on PS4, I wonder if Dice has lost them

PC numbers continue to be very impressive

Currently online players:

PC

PS3

XBOX360

PS4

The PC numbers are very impressive. When BF3 was launched it was tough to actually prove that the PC version had more sales.
We essentially had to take off-hand comments from the quarterly-calls and extrapolate from that.

The PS3 version is also very impressive as well, I heard that the controller wasn't perfect for FPS games due to the triggers I believe. Generally multiplatform games seem to sell better on 360.

You are correct, it says 26gb/34gb. Guess it installs the rest while downloading. Good thing I have unlimited internet. I hope other downloadable games don't take this long in the future.

Thank you very much.

As for the length of time, it may get better as Sony implements more infrastructure.

But the size of the downloads will only increase as next-gen goes on, and thankfully so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom