• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletoads - Gamescom gameplay

iconmaster

Banned
If it wasn't using the Battletoads IP, I'd probably say it looked like a decent little indie game.

The action and music both seem pretty repetitive, though. The NES tunes weren't Rare's best either, but that just means the new game ought to improve on them.

dilbag

man i just hope im wrong and these games are super fun, but what is MS doing?

a slow paced battle toads?

hero classes in gears? come on! i will try both of these games because of game pass but man. my excite level is not as high as it should be.

Enjay

Banned
I am awestruck that they made this look even worse than streets of rage 4. Millenial developers can't even make a basic beat 'em up game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At least itll be free on game pass. No way i would pay even 50 cents for it.

Looks terrible.

Devs trying to give it a cartoony look to it looks off. battletoads has always been bright and cartoony but the art style seems wrong.

giphy.gif

I have to watch the video at 1.5x speed for it to even look acceptable. Even then it's not Battletoads.

Fatalmephisto29

Neo Member
I personally love this hand drawn Art style. I get why lots out there dont and I can respect that. I do agree its a little on the slow side but Im excited for this reboot. The combo system is going to be crazy. I will say the people who are playing ether suck or never played a side scrolling beatem up before.

MiguelItUp

Yeaaaah, this still looks like a glorified Flash game. Even then, I don't even know if it's really glorified. I feel like Dad & Me on Newgrounds plays better than this. This looks WAY too slow, oof.

When I saw the initial gameplay reveal at E3 I thought of what I mentioned above, as well as it reminding me of The Tick on SNES. The Tick was/is awesome, but the game was SO repetitive and bland, which reminds me a lot of this.

Also, wtf is up with Pimple becoming a baboon and Rash becoming a shark? Lol. I mean, I know in some of the Battletoad games their limbs would become weapons and stuff, but I think this is going way too far. That's just random AF, lol.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Thanks to GamePass our games no longer need to be good, they just need to be cheap to produce.

This is unfortunately a valid concern for the near future. They need to stay busy to keep the subscribers, and I'm afraid it may be quantity over quality in some cases.

HotPocket69

Banned
This shit is disgraceful and downright embarrassing. Zero charm and what you'd expect from a Microsoft exclusive these days.

Phil wearing those BT t shirts and all this time he had no clue what made the series special in the first place. Shocker. All MS gives a crap about is scoring virtue signaling points and bullshit cred at this point.

Fucking Xbox man.

Vawn

Banned
Phil wearing those BT t shirts and all this time he had no clue what made the series special in the first place. Shocker. All MS gives a crap about is scoring virtue signaling points and bullshit cred at this point.

Phil Spencer has been horrible for Xbox, but Xbox fans are so wanting to believe he is the savior they needed, they refuse to acknowledge what's going on.

Xbox game quality has only gone down since he took over.

Iced Arcade

This is my biggest let down this gen. They had such a opportunity for another big AAA franchise in line... but nope! Shitty side scroller.

demigod

Damn, I shouldn't have watched it first at 1.5, going back to normal the game is really slooooooooooooow. Even at 1.5 speed I couldn't take it and just skipped parts. Game is trash.

Mikey Jr.

Oooof, looks bad.

They get rid of the way enemies stagger when you hit them. That was the best part of Battletoads.

Now the game just looks super generic.

Also, why do the enemies take their sweet ass time getting up?

Pejo

This is my biggest let down this gen. They had such a opportunity for another big AAA franchise in line... but nope! Shitty side scroller.
The frustrating thing is that Rash in Killer Instinct is awesome. He retains the feel from the classic games but is modernized in 3D. I'd rather have a 2.5D side scroller beat'em up with those designs than this.

Hypereides

Gold Member
I feel for you Battletoads fan-brothers. Seeing this must be horrible.

Phil Spencer has been horrible for Xbox, but Xbox fans are so wanting to believe he is the savior they needed, they refuse to acknowledge what's going on.

Xbox game quality has only gone down since he took over.

To be fair, Shawn Layden is not any better. He was wearing game Crash and Vib Ribbon t-shirts as a way to signal gamer credibility. Both are shrewd businessmen who are trying to manipulate their respective consumer base.

I vaguely recall one of the "The crazy buttocks on a train" leaks suggesting he, somehow, took the CEO position away from Tretton through questionable means.

Holy shit that actually looks like a strait up bad game. Even ignoring the graphics, the actual gameplay seems sluggish and the hit detection looks wonky.

Last edited:

Guiberu

This is the epitome of "Thanks, I hate it".

Battletoads is sacred for a lot of people.

And instead of pouring that classic RARE love and art style into it's resurrection, they've seemingly outsourced the art to Flash animators trapped in 2005.

LMJ

I am quite confused just what on Earth have to developers been doing all this...

If you make a new game in a genre, chances are you will look at other flagship titles in said genre to get some ideas...

if you're doing an established IP that's already famous in said genre then that should be even easier lol.

So explain to me how this looks slow, confusing, boring and toothless?

Have the devs ever seen a side scrolling beat Em up before? I would hope they at least GLANCED at past titles, because I can't think of anything more boring in this type of game then having repetitive battles in a Room getting ranked and then moving to yet another repetitive battle Room with virtually no variety and then being rewarded with a terrible boss...

This is freaking battle toads one of the hardest, grittiest, edgiest beat-em Ups there was...awesome level interaction and classic 90s EXTREME grit...

This game looks nothing like its predecessors, it just looks like a sad imitator at best like someone's kindergarten attempt at battle toads, and I'm not just referring to the G rated story and attacks...

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I cannot work out why on Earth a developer/publisher would ok a game designed to appeal to 35-45 year olds and then make it nothing like the original and make it look like it was aimed at the preteen market.

Like, have the people making decisions at these companies been lobotomised? Are they allergic to money?

This is the epitome of WHAT.THE.FUCK?

Otterz4Life

I cannot work out why on Earth a developer/publisher would ok a game designed to appeal to 35-45 year olds and then make it nothing like the original and make it look like it was aimed at the preteen market.

Like, have the people making decisions at these companies been lobotomised? Are they allergic to money?

This is the epitome of WHAT.THE.FUCK?
Are you sure this is aimed at 35-45 year olds? How did you come to that conclusion?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Battletoads and SOR 4 look bad to me. UGH. Love beat em ups back in the day and the only one im interested in now is The Takeover despite the fact that it's taking forever.

Wow. That looks terrible.

They should have kept the 8 bit graphics and just made a new one like that.

Last edited:
I remember watching the E3 trailer and thinking the art style was god awful, but the gameplay looked decent.

I take that back. This looks like a straight up mess - even the music is terrible, how did they screw up the first level track from Battletoads on SNES?

How sad is it that outside of Killer Instinct, MS has let Rare IPs wither away and become about as irrelevant as possible. Can we at least get a new Blast Corps?

Otterz4Life

Because the Battletoads franchise only has appeal/cache with gamers in that age bracket. If it’s aimed at any other demographic, that’s retarded business.
Was the first Battletoads marketed to 35+ year olds? No.

It’s always been a tmnt knock off after the same 8-12 age bracket.

Top Bottom