• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletoads - Gamescom gameplay

Gamernyc78

Banned
Because the Battletoads franchise only has appeal/cache with gamers in that age bracket. If it’s aimed at any other demographic, that’s retarded business.

Funny thing is I think the overall stats suggest the average gamer is between 28-40. So even with tht it makes sense.

RavageX

It was her time damn it.
9VUOY4G.png

This franchise should have stayed with Nintendo or dead honestly.

While I'm thinking about it, did they fix the way she looks in this new junk or is she still looking generic like they had her early in development? Last I saw they completely ruined her.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Was the first Battletoads marketed to 35+ year olds? No.

It’s always been a tmnt knock off after the same 8-12 age bracket.
Yeah, you’re onto something.

I can see the pitch meeting now:

Just look at these statistics! The 12-15 year old demographic is just SCREAMING for another anthropomorphic toon! Look at these figures! What? The fanbase are grown adults now? Pfffft! Screw that! Make it look like a free flash animation and kids will be buying this in DROVES! I guarantee it!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
While I'm thinking about it, did they fix the way she looks in this new junk or is she still looking generic like they had her early in development? Last I saw they completely ruined her.
She still looks like a Kim Possible chibi reject yes.
What does Nintendo have to do with this franchise?
Rare had a partnership with Nintendo a while back. They made great games...when Miyamoto didn't ask them to make shit anyway. Literally every single Rare title that has been done for a MS system has been terrible outside KI and uh I liked Banjo's vehicle building game! Yes, I know they made Battletoads on other systems just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

molasar

Banned
Rare had a partnership with Nintendo a while back. They made great games...when Miyamoto didn't ask them to make shit anyway. Literally every single Rare title that has been done for a MS system has been terrible outside KI and uh I liked Banjo's vehicle building game! Yes, I know they made Battletoads on other systems just saying.
I know, I was a huge fan of Rareware but the franchise was not touched by them since Nintendo started the partnership by purchasing Rare's shares.

chinoXL

and people have the nerve to hate on the streets of rage joint coming out lol this is trash. i loved the OG version but this is nonsense

baphomet

Anyone who was expecting this to ever be some sort of AAA flagship game was always going to be let down.

It was obviously going to be a cheaper, more indie style game.

That being said it's still just soooo damn ugly : /

//DEVIL//

I'm surprised that people are surprised.
It's a MS game...
That is a bit excessive. Halo, Forza and gears are all great games. same goes for KI as well.

it's just MS really has other bad developers in their team. or they outsource their games to a non known or bad developers. Not dissing anyone who is trying hard over there but they need more experience or at least supervision to the right bath. this is something I honestly my 24 years old brother can make in couple of months using Flash. it's just bad wtf.

If this didn't have the name battletoads all over it, not a single person would even bother post a video or even talk about it.

You can't just stick a big IP name from the past to a shit game and have the nerve to show it to people. what a burn of an IP ...

I have said it before and I will say it again. Spencer or MS in general have been talking for 3 years about how they KNOW they lack in the development team and how they need to establish IPs and good games.

After 3 years this is what you came up with ? just go ahead and close the division please. what a waste.

Last edited:

baphomet

Thats not exactly good excuse, games like CupHead and GIRIS also are indie games and yet they looked gorgeous.

giphy.gif

feb-28-2017-23-05-22.gif

Those aren't even remotely similar to Battletoads.

Cuphead took nearly a decade to develop and assuredly cost multiple times what Battletoads cost to develop.

//DEVIL//

Those aren't even remotely similar to Battletoads.

Cuphead took nearly a decade to develop and assuredly cost multiple times what Battletoads cost to develop.

Cuphead sold millions and it was a huge success. Battletoads has been annouced 2 or 3 years ago and it still look like shit and plays like shit too. with probably a very horrible success rate if any. what is exactly your point ?

Good games takes time. and success percentage increases as well. after 2 to 3 years we get a 2D side scrolling game that looks horrible, plays horrible. and has a horrible music as well. all from a single video too.

baphomet

Cuphead sold millions and it was a huge success. Battletoads has been annouced 2 or 3 years ago and it still look like shit and plays like shit too. with probably a very horrible success rate if any. what is exactly your point ?

Good games takes time. and success percentage increases as well. after 2 to 3 years we get a 2D side scrolling game that looks horrible, plays horrible. and has a horrible music as well. all from a single video too.

I'm not even sure what the fuck you're talking about. I said Battletoads was always going to be a cheaply made game. They gave it to a no name developer and went from an announcement so early they couldn't show anything other than a logo in the middle of 2018 to launching the following year.

//DEVIL//

I'm not even sure what the fuck you're talking about. I said Battletoads was always going to be a cheaply made game. They gave it to a no name developer and went from an announcement so early they couldn't show anything other than a logo in the middle of 2018 to launching the following year.
Why cussing ? you have a problem ?

Anyway you were comparing other Indie games to Battletoads. and how other games took longer time to develop. i was replying that is not an excuse because it has been announced sometime ago as well and still look and plays like shit till this day. what is your problem ?

baphomet

Why cussing ? you have a problem ?

Anyway you were comparing other Indie games to Battletoads. and how other games took longer time to develop. i was replying that is not an excuse because it has been announced sometime ago as well and still look and plays like shit till this day. what is your problem ?

I didn't compare Battletoads to anything. I said it was always going to be a cheaply made indie game.

That's why your response is literal gibberish in response.

//DEVIL//

I didn't compare Battletoads to anything. I said it was always going to be a cheaply made indie game.

That's why your response is literal gibberish in response.

""Those aren't even remotely similar to Battletoads.

Cuphead took nearly a decade to develop and assuredly cost multiple times what Battletoads cost to develop. ""

Wasn't that you ? lol

and gibberish ? your attitude speaks volume about your self. we done here.

Last edited:

baphomet

""Those aren't even remotely similar to Battletoads.

Cuphead took nearly a decade to develop and assuredly cost multiple times what Battletoads cost to develop. ""

Wasn't that you ? lol

and gibberish ? your attitude speaks volume about your self. we done here.

You DO realize I wasn't the one comparing them right? It's very clearly right above in the replies. Feel free to scroll up.

Saying a game is going to be a cheap indie game and someone responds saying well these other indie games that cost millions and millions of dollars and almost a decade to develop look better so this one should to.

That's fucking stupid.

bitbydeath

You DO realize I wasn't the one comparing them right? It's very clearly right above in the replies. Feel free to scroll up.

Saying a game is going to be a cheap indie game and someone responds saying well these other indie games that cost millions and millions of dollars and almost a decade to develop look better so this one should to.

That's fucking stupid.

Nah, that’s not true. The majority of the time it was just two brothers making it in their spare time.

Edit: Found the article.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
That is a bit excessive. Halo, Forza and gears are all great games. same goes for KI as well.

it's just MS really has other bad developers in their team. or they outsource their games to a non known or bad developers. Not dissing anyone who is trying hard over there but they need more experience or at least supervision to the right bath. this is something I honestly my 24 years old brother can make in couple of months using Flash. it's just bad wtf.

If this didn't have the name battletoads all over it, not a single person would even bother post a video or even talk about it.

You can't just stick a big IP name from the past to a shit game and have the nerve to show it to people. what a burn of an IP ...

I have said it before and I will say it again. Spencer or MS in general have been talking for 3 years about how they KNOW they lack in the development team and how they need to establish IPs and good games.

After 3 years this is what you came up with ? just go ahead and close the division please. what a waste.
Afaik, all those franchises went downhill except for Forza. So that isn't saying much.
I'll give them KI, but that's 1 game in how many years?

Just sayin..

Looks wank. Nay cunt asked for Battletoads Microsoft.

They could have put the money wasted on this towards a Banjo game or something. Ya know, a game that people actually want.

Psykodad

Banned
Ori and the Blind Forest is a MS game. Cuphead as well.

s2-c853624c307a83c411b063e22a3aa749.jpg

Maybe you should try to play the games rather than simply "probably knowing stuff". Just sayin...

oh, sorry, 4-5 wortwhile non-Forza games in 2 gens.

MS needs to step their game up years ago.
Being "objective" isn't always a good thing, you know.

Anyway, my initial point was this (Battletoads) is to be expected.

Last edited:

Labolas

Holy shit this looks bad. They even managed to ruin the Dark Queen. This is getting a hard pass from me. At least SOR got Blaze right.

Last edited:
This is a flash game. A bad looking flash game from the dark age of Newgrounds.

Alien Hominid looks better than this.

ED: also, why is everything so fucking slow?

Last edited:
Was the first Battletoads marketed to 35+ year olds? No.

It’s always been a tmnt knock off after the same 8-12 age bracket.

Yeah, but come on, they are reusing the franchise only for nostalgia, so it seems pretty stupid not to cash into that old fanbase.
They could have bridged old and new better or made a completely different ip, aimed at kids.

PaNaMa

Banned
Why are we derailing this thread to talk about Cup Head development, or decreeing MS should get out of gaming? Ridiculous...
Stay on point: Battletoads looks like a shitty shiny flash game right now. It's sterile, sluggish, and completely lacks even the tiniest ounce of personality. From what I have witnessed through this game play slice, there is absolutely no reason anyone would want to play this game. Nostalgia was probably a huge part of this title being green lit, yet it fails to pull on a single nostalgic heart string. Phil, or whoever is calling this shots, needs to pull the plug on this one and either send it back to the drawing board or just scrub it.

Psykodad

Banned
I did not know that it was authorized to shitpost like that on neogaf.
Shitpost?
It's common knowledge that MS output has been severely lacking for the past 1.5 gen.

Besides, again, all I was saying was that this situation with Battletoads isn't surprising.
Then you got all defensive.

Last edited:

Crew 511A

Old Battletoads - meh.

New Battletoads - MEH.

Yeah, pretty much. I'll never understand the love affair everyone had with the NES game. The first level is promising, but it quickly goes downhill into a collection of unfair bonus levels.

Still, after seeing how good Rash looks in Killer Instinct, there was a template for how Battletoads could look in the current gen. I guess someone had other ideas.

Paradicia

Ready and waiting for the prank calls to Gamestop posted to YouTube over this game when it comes out.

Last edited:

The Snake

Guys, I think you're being too harsh.

The game will be available for only $1 via gamepass.

This presents another problem, though. With this mentality, you may start to see developers rush out quick, piss-poor games for a quantity-over-quality effect for Gamepass.

Top Bottom