• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletoads - Gamescom gameplay

Hopefully they realized how bad it looked after fan outcry and have restarted the project from scratch.
Yeah, I agree. The art and the whole sanitized vibe completely turns me off.

Watching Streets of Rage 4 footage is a stark contrast. I know some people wanted them to stick with pixel art, but sof4 nails the vibe of the old school games while updating the look - basically the opposite of this BT game

I almost forgot this existed.

How did Battletoads go from looking like this:
b3IC8lN.jpg

And these fine examples of fan art:
5G5fXru.jpg

To looking like this?
ZWVB24Z.jpg

Seriously, if Xbox Studios hasn't taken this one back behind the wood shed, put one between it's eyes and started over they're setting themselves up to be a laughing stock when it releases. Think Crackdown 3 levels of mockery, but with boostTM. At least Crackdown plays well, this looks like a beat-em-up where the floor is molasses and inertia doesn't exist. Who thought slowing their movement speed to a crawl was a good idea or in-line with anything in the franchise?

You can't swing a 12TF dick around for a year, then release a game that looks like it could have been animated by an infant. Nobody expects every game to push the envelope, but people expect games to not look offensively awful. Cuphead was made by a smaller studio than this who took their time and it paid off with a universally adored look.

Nintendo had the balls to do the right thing and not pull another Starfox Zero with the Metroid series and scrapping Prime 4 over concerns it wasn't going to be very good, follow that lead and save yourselves some embarrassment.

Jesb

Wtf have they done. Been asking forever for a new one and this is what we get. How the f does a game like this get green lit. 🤢

Theyre not targeting the older gen who where fans when they were kids/teens when BT first released.

Well that's a really great plan! It sure worked well for the new Thundercats and She-Ra cartoons. One got shit-canned after one season and with the other Netflix "Weekend at Bernies"ed the corpse for 5 seasons to appease the woke crowd. Kids hate this shit as much as everyone else because kids aren't stupid. If they release this, they most certainly won't release sale numbers for it after the fact.

Well that's a really great plan! It sure worked well for the new Thundercats and She-Ra cartoons. One got shit-canned after one season and with the other Netflix "Weekend at Bernies"ed the corpse for 5 seasons to appease the woke crowd. Kids hate this shit as much as everyone else because kids aren't stupid. If they release this, they most certainly won't release sale numbers for it after the fact.

You're not wrong.

Last edited:

Redefine07

Damn , this looks awful , what have they done to it.....this was my favorite game as a child. Hope they cancel it and make another try or give up.

martino

a shame thundercats reboot was cool imo.

Last edited:
Theyre not targeting the older gen who where fans when they were kids/teens when BT first released.
100%

I feel the same way about that silly ass Commander Keen reboot that was shown at e3 last year.

There's some rumors going around that The Initiative is working on a new Perfect Dark. I really hope to god MS doesn't let them fuck it up like they did with Battletoads. It's sad how all the Rare IPs have gone completely to waste

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
This shit looks absolutely terrible. I hope the time away means they reskinned the terrible art style.

I'll give it a shot on gamepass regardless but i really ain't liking the look of it.

It's sad how all the Rare IPs have gone completely to waste

They did release Rare replay, which is beyond fantastic. It might be the most well-executed collection I've played. 60fps HD Blast Corps is great. Too bad nobody played it.

As far as new games though, although I liked Nuts & Bolts I understand why it was panned and other than that, Kameo and Viva Pinata which are pretty old games now, Rare is just a turd factory. So much wasted IP, maybe one of the new studios can carry the torch and we'll see another Banjo someday.

I think they totally missed the mark with this one. The camera is too zoomed in making the action too close to the viewer which gets really messy. When fighting co-op generally in battletoads the camera would be more zoomed out and you could make use of that space to actually divide the battle up into different sections of the screen.

The zoomed out camera would also allow them to be a bit more creative when it comes to the environment and not just have it be a completely flat horizontal plane. Everything basically wrong with the gameplay that is released is shown when compared directly to the first level of the NES release.

Completely missed the mark and somehow the NES version has better weight and physics behind it. I really hope they can turn it around otherwise it just ends up in the "below average looking beat-em-ups"

Hopefully this game has changed a lot in a year.
Did anyone actually like the way it looked? Microsoft must have heard that feedback, right?
I hope they listened and changed the art style. It's been a long time since the last E3 without news it could be an indication of a change

SleepDoctor

Banned
Streets of rage 4 had the same criticism and in the end is a masterpiece^^ I still got hope

True. Tbh i think it looked way worse than SoR4. Could turn out fun but I'm not hopeful of it.

Of course more fanboys jumping out the woodwork with the concern trolling lol. Post history is embarrassing tbh.

Justin9mm

True. Tbh i think it looked way worse than SoR4. Could turn out fun but I'm not hopeful of it.

Of course more fanboys jumping out the woodwork with the concern trolling lol. Post history is embarrassing tbh.
SOR4 played like the originals and pretty much looked like the originals but with a massive graphics overhaul. This on the other hand is something else. nothing like the original Battletoads.. I really do think if it is the same as what we saw then this game will be shite!

DavJay

Looks like a cartoon tv show like cup head. Not bad but it doesn’t feel like battletoad. They should have made a brand new up instead with this look.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Omg tht wasn't too long ago ppl were bigging up battle toads and turned out what we saw was a catastrophe, ain't no making this a contender. Maybe it'll turn out decent though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom