• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 3 on Switch - DF Tech Review - A Great Game with Polish & Performance Issues

KXVXII9X

I am not saying a Switch is just an underpowered old handheld / tablet, but...
It is.
Time for successor
Beat me to it. I love the Switch and it's concept, but it is way overdue for a successor. 480p resolution is just unacceptable. Some games are optimized really well for the Switch but it seems more and more games are struggling to get the most out of it.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Go Away Reaction GIF

For once i might actually not disagree with DF. less than 480p is unacceptable even for Switch.

resolution aside it's not terrible. gotta get them clicks/views and a kick in at a non-ps platform though!

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Would normally talk about the Switch's power but at the same time they clearly need to get off that got damn engine. Supposedly they rebuilt the PlatinumEngine for their games going forward and this game was suppose to use it. LET IT DIE. Learn UE5 or something but let this engine go....please.

Last edited:
Would normally talk about the Switch's power, they clearly need to get off that got damn engine. Supposedly they rebuilt the PlatinumEngine for their games going forward and this game was suppose to use it. LET IT DIE. Learn UE5 or something but let this engine go....please.
yeah cause UE5 is gonna help on Switch :messenger_grinning_smiling:

i mean sure yeah it'll be better but if that's the best you can do...

Last edited:

Fbh

Not surprising but still disappointing, I've been saying this looks worse than Bayo 2 from the beginning.
But I'll still get it, though I'll resell it when I'm done with it like all Switch games, and wait for a better release in the future.

emulation to the rescue!!!

how does it run on Ryujinx?

Apparently pretty well aside of cut scenes.
It actually doesn't look that bad when it's not running at sub 900p

Last edited:
After playing an hour yesterday I can definitely see how this is a more demanding game than Bayo 2 but 480p? I bet it's the stupid demon summoning mechanic, which is not great at all imo- it dumbs things down.

Also- how the fuck did NO games "journalists" pick up on the abysmal resolution in ANY of their previews?

This is why games people on the internet suck donkey balls. They don't think about how important performance is and they're a bunch of shills.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Don’t care for the resolution but I’m sad about framerate for an action game, hope they can improve that. Graphics are the least important thing in any video game.

Looking at some YouTube gameplay it still looks way better than Bayo 2, it’s not just about pixel counts.
Overall it visually looks better and more advanced than Bayo 2, if you want to pick at things maybe the Switch version of Bayo 2 performs better under a microscope.

The series has never been a graphical tour de force, but it's serviceable, plays well and is still nice to look at artistically.

Most importantly, it's a hell of a game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I mean, when he says "it can look great but more often than not it looks like this" or whatever, I wasn't even sure what he meant? It just looked the same as in any video, just instead of actually playing the game as you tend to do, stopping to scrutinize each piece that makes the formerly seen whole.

Especially having seen that same part in the recent video showcasing the summon controls and seeing how destructible all the buildings there are and how the vehicles are knocked around and explode as the massive monsters or whatever those are called merely walk around without even fighting.

Naturally frame drops aren't great and the thing I find most jarring in games is the pop in evident here too. When you actually are within an area as above the draw distance of even small objects seem fine but when you're on your way to such an area it seems to get populated very closely/abruptly.

I also share his dislike for dithering, but somehow it seems quite popular even on other platforms nowadays, I didn't see much hate for that in Nioh 1/2 or Resident Evil/games with Capcom's new REngine or before when MT Framework (MHW) employed that technique pretty much everywhere too.

Edit: oh, wrong thread, got confused because we already have one here and it was made first to this should be locked/merged tbh:
www.neogaf.com/threads/bayonetta-3-on-switch-df-tech-review-a-great-game-with-polish-performance-issues.1644151
As for emulating this, I mean, running it at 4K on a monitor in your face will only make the pop in and muddy textures even more apparent, though proper full framerate and input lag (which more often than not is not the case with Switch emulation on the average gaming PC) would be very nice...

Last edited:

Neff

It looks better than 1 and 2, it also has a lot more visual variety than either game. There are bland areas just like Bayo 1/2, and there are spectacular areas. The framerate is genuinely PS3 tier at times though.

I feel like they were making a Switch 2 game and forgot they were supposed to release it on Switch 1.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Not surprising but still disappointing, I've been saying this looks worse than Bayo 2 from the beginning.
But I'll still get it, though I'll resell it when I'm done with it like all Switch games, and wait for a better release in the future.

Apparently pretty well aside of cut scenes.
It actually doesn't look that bad when it's not running at sub 900p

Is it already completely playable? Not sure i want to play at 480p.....

00_Zer0

Nope. If you look at the state of Switch emulation, sure you can get 4K 60fps, but at a terrible cost on most games. The frame time graph looks like a bad liar taking a polygraph test on rigs with the latest gpus and cpus. What good is 60 fps when you have stutters/hitches or bad input lag than the original Switch.

I for one know Switch is on it's last legs, but the art direction and the fun gameplay save this game for me. I am not against emulation but if the game plays worse despite the framerate and 4K resolution boost then count me out.

By the way, I am no shill, but I just bought a 4K Gamer Pro upscaler and while not a miracle worker I am enjoying using it on Switch even with minimal gains.

I will wait to emulate my Switch games when the state of emulation has improved so much that frametime and input lag are drastically improved.

Last edited:

GHG

Nope. If you look at the state of Switch emulation, sure you can get 4K 60fps, but at a terrible cost on most games. The frame time graph looks like a bad liar taking a polygraph test on rigs with the latest gpus and cpus. What good is 60 fps when you have stutters/hitches or bad input lag than the original Switch. I for one know Switch is on it's last legs, but the art direction and the fun gameplay save this game for me. I am not against emulation but if the game plays worse despite the framerate and 4K resolution boost then count me out.

By the way, I am no shill, but I just bought a 4K Gamer Pro upscaler and while not a miracle worker I am enjoying using it on Switch even with minimal gains.

I will wait to emulate my Switch games when the state of emulation has improved so much that frametime and input lag are drastically improved.

Two points:
  • That's running on a 2070 super, it will run better on better hardware.
  • You don't have to run it at 4k. 1440p or 1080p will still yield better results than what the switch is producing here.

Top Bottom