• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 3 on Switch - DF Tech Review - A Great Game with Polish & Performance Issues

And once again I'll repeat a past take to say that if Nintendo will continue with this philosophy, they must ensure that their exclusives are running properly when it comes to framerate. Instead we keep receiving exclusives with a variable amount of quality amongst all of them, even with premiere titles like Breath of the Wild, where some of these developers keep aiming for much higher than what the system can handle and us consumers end up with a product we just have to deal with because they made that decision. This isn't the N64 era anymore. sub-30 fps games and games with framerates all over the place shouldn't still be a thing. But we accept it because it's Nintendo.

I don't think Nintendo can order anyone to release a game that runs flawlessly at 30/60 FPS. Though I personally would also love to see it.

Again, to the above point, I don't need them to make a 4k machine. I just want all of their games to run well.
I am hoping with the advent of tech like DLSS we can finally get that level of quality with weaker hardware. Given all the leaks/rumors, I would be VERY surprised if the next system Nintendo creates doesn't have some powerful version of DLSS running at all times.

Agreed. So they need to stop.
No, they just need to do better.

j95OSVP.jpeg

That trailer build is either running on a pc or a switch 2.

I don't think Nintendo can order anyone to release a game that runs flawlessly at 30/60 FPS. Though I personally would also love to see it.
They can. They easily can. They have the resources to do so. Again, we are just settling because it's Nintendo. They've had teams come in to help other teams clean things up before. They just have to keep that level of consistency and quality.
I am hoping with the advent of tech like DLSS we can finally get that level of quality with weaker hardware. Given all the leaks/rumors, I would be VERY surprised if the next system Nintendo creates doesn't have some powerful version of DLSS running at all times.
Agreed.
No, they just need to do better.
Same message different words. By 'they need to stop' you know what I mean.

How much money does Nintendo want, to make:

-Remastered version of Bayonetta 1, Bayonetta 2, Bayonetta 3 for PS5, Xbox Series S|X, PC, and the new Nintendo switch? This is a serious question. Not a joke

Last edited:
They can. They easily can. They have the resources to do so. Again, we are just settling because it's Nintendo. They've had teams come in to help other teams clean things up before. They just have to keep that level of consistency and quality.
Again, I don't think they have the ability to demand that out of everyone. Maybe for exclusive titles and first party groups, but not third party companies. Bayo 3 though? Yea, they probably could have easily demanded it.

Same message different words. By 'they need to stop' you know what I mean.
I honestly didn't. Thought you were honestly saying they shouldn't make games on the system.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Its funny how so many people rush to poopoo a game they'd probably never play anyway. So many graphics snobs nowadays. Its a free market man, don't buy it. Like seriously, since 2017 and the earlier rumors we all knew the Switch was a lower spec system. Its part of Nintendo's DNA. I fully expect the next system to be just as low frankly, an improvement to be sure, but people will complain about that too. DF and anybody else doing videos like this is just low-hanging fruit for people that'd just rag on a game rather than play one, seriously. People hating on a game they weren't going to play anyway, in such hyperbole(shit, trash, garbage etc) is far more insufferable than dealing with frame rates and resolutions. Incessant whiney bishes. Like damn, life is full of wonder and greatness, how can someone be so desperate to mope and complain about the smallest most insignificant things? Its a commercial product on an old low-spec system. Big whoop.
I never poopoo'd the game my man. I wasnt even in the review thread.

Thats why I created a separate DF tech review thread so as to not poopoo a great game, just its visuals which are poopoo.

You say Life is full of wonder and greatness, and that I shouldnt get triggered about a game I will never play. Well, this is literally a thread you dont have to be a part of. Enjoy life man. Bang some hot babes. Or dudes if thats what you like. It's just a thread on a video game message board. Insignificant, probably more so than the game itself.

Reactions: Isa

anthony2690

Banned
It's stuff like this that made me realise I can't play games on the switch anymore.

Well actually it was monster Hunter Stories 2, oh boy.

Exede

I played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in handheld mode. Bayo 3 looks godlike in comparison. I.... do not care. The game is super fun!

Yes I noticed and commented about it before when looking at the trailers for the new voice over, easily the worst looking and least interesting Bayo game. Character models look off, grey, flat samey looking areas. Overall I think I prefer Bayo2 out the three design wise and how they storyboarded it.

But at least a third game got made, they play well and fans get another. Just a bit of a shame they can't put more budget into the game. This is why it's so wild about the original voice over demands, she and the fans are lucky a third game even appeared in this low budget and poor fashion so long after previous release, it's not a big seller and struggles to get sequels.

Imagine a Bayo game on DMCV levels though.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Blah, blah, blah the game is not high tech enough for some people, I’m having fucking blast with this game.

I’m not gonna miss out on the game this good over such a petty reason.

Again, I don't think they have the ability to demand that out of everyone. Maybe for exclusive titles and first party groups, but not third party companies. Bayo 3 though? Yea, they probably could have easily demanded it.

I honestly didn't. Thought you were honestly saying they shouldn't make games on the system.
My apologies. Yes, I just meant in reference to first party Nintendo games and no I didn't mean stop making games entirely.

I don't want a world where Nintendo fails, I just want better for them like many here. I've just grown tired of everyone giving them so many, many excuses for their inconsistent quality of exclusive content on the Switch. It can be frustrating because people like myself can't even give honest criticisms because we are instantly grouped in with the console warriors and haters.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why? It’s still regularly outselling the competition on a massive profit margin.

So was the Wii, until it stopped getting quality games and people left it to gather dust. And then Nintendo had their biggest flop ever after that, because nobody wanted another Wii. Are they gonna milk the Switch the same way until people are so put off by the awful experiences they are getting on it (in terms of technical quality) that they won't even consider buying a Switch 2? Or are they gonna get ahead of that and release the successor while the general opinion is still positive?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

scydrex

N64 games are still perfectly playable and enjoyable. This elitist attitude of "I won't touch a game that runs under 120 FPS" is laughable.

Well i tried them. As a kid and enjoyed the N64 a lot but now? no. I stopped playing Elden Ring on PS5 to wait for the VRR update because of the FPS drops. It didn't let me to fully enjoy the game. I love From games all of them. FPS drops do affect gameplay. I agree with gameplay>graphics but saying the FPS drops don't affect gameplay is not true.

Also i don't care about 120 FPS. Don't even have a PC. My last gaming PC was like 12yr ago. After that it was console only PS3, PS4 and now PS5. So it's 30, 60fps or now with this gen 40fps. So your comment about the 120 fsp dosen't apply to me. Even if someone is a Nintendo fan saying graphic is not important is fine. I agree with that but FPS drops from 60 fps or 30fps...

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It's amazing how the Bayonetta series spams three generations and yet each game ends up on comparably powered hardware.

I picked this game up, it's great with some very nice art but the image quality and performance are awful. It just feels like they overshot what Switch is capable of. I hope it gets a Switch Pro upgrade down the line.

Need a copy of the gif where the guy opens his arms, but instead of NeoGAF it says Nintendo. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

I timestamped it. You didnt have to watch the whole movie.

And yes, 810p docked, sub-480p handheld. sub 50 fps framerate in both modes.
Appreciate it but had already watched or was watching before I had seen either thread. Annoyingly timestamps never appear upon title hover when embedded here. I still think focusing on just the negatives paints a very unfair picture. The city is fugly. Other areas look quite nice, as John said. Overambitious is fair from what I saw.

I suppose. I think in order to understand the implication of the OP's title, you'd have to understand what type of poster SlimySnake SlimySnake is. He only wants the best for all games. Best graphics, best presentation, best art. He wants video games to reach their ultimate potential. To him(and to some others here including myself at times) there is a ball and chain tied to the ankles of multiple game franchises on the switch because of the switch's very outdated graphical capabilities, and Bayonetta is one of those franchises(ever since it went exclusive). Some of the things DF is pointing out is very worrying, especially the fact that it can't hold a steady 60fps being a character action game.

A lot of people were waiting on a NEW Nintendo Switch/Switch Pro or even a Switch 2, but those rumors went silent a year or so ago. They're wanting that new system because of games like this and because more and more newer 3rd party titles are becoming streaming-only switch games. 2023 is starting to shift into high gear with PS5 and XSX releases. What will Nintendo's response be?
Aside from art design, you kinda have to put those desires to rest with Nintendo don't you? Nearly 16 years since the Wii. I totally get that the performance and visuals could be better. Nintendo really needs to roll out Xenoblade 3's upscaling/taa as standard for their published/developed games to keep the IQ above acceptable.
They weren't going to pump out a Switch successor or Pro model any time in the past 2 years. Nice to dream about sure... and even if they were on the case with it, it just wouldn't happen given the market realities that we've had and how Nintendo act.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So this is the first time a shitty YouTube video actually does represent what the game look's like on native hardware 😂

Last edited:
Whilst I've never been a fan of these games, I do feel like Bayonetta deserves better.

Imagine, what the developers could do if they weren't constrained by the Nintendo hardware, and could really exploit the new consoles and pc?

I suspect they'd produce some spectacular.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Im still more excited for this than God of War. Playing both back to back and I'll let you all know which is better.

The framerate is disappointing though.

Last edited:

Pejo

I'm buying the game to show support, but as soon as emulator support is there, I'm immediately jumping into it on PC. Nintendo needs to release a successor or something already.

Worse than Bayo 2 is the real head scratcher here. Platinum should be upset with these results too.

Power Pro

I am not saying a Switch is just an underpowered old handheld / tablet, but...
It is.
Time for successor
I don't think that's the reason though. Like they say, Bayonetta 2 looks better on Switch.

I remember thinking the game looked rough from the earliest trailer, and kept hoping it would look better by release.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't think that's the reason though. Like they say, Bayonetta 2 looks better on Switch.

I remember thinking the game looked rough from the earliest trailer, and kept hoping it would look better by release.

This game is clearly more ambitious than the earlier games. The Switch just can't handle it, and Platinum not exactly being tech wizards (they've never made a game that's actually technically impressive that I'm aware of) doesn't help.

sachos

Clickbait title OP, he said that some textures resemble OG Xbox games, not the game itself.
Either way, this is why i hope the next Switch has a home console only "pro" version from start. Games would still be designed for the handheld as a base and the home console only version would act as a way to smooth out performance and resolution for those who care. I know im dreaming, most Nintendo fans seem to rejoice at the image of a "quirky" underpowered console.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I mean, it's a Switch game in 2022 trying to push some boundaries for that platform. I love my Switch, but I just assume all games outside of the most polished (typically first party) are going to look and run exactly as they should be expected given the hardware.

mcjmetroid

1: It's a switch game
2: it's far more open, bigger environments than bayo 2
3: 480p is for handheld but the resolution on docked is mostly HIGHER than the switch ports of 1 and 2 which were locked at 720p.

I too would prefer this on more powerful hardware but it is what it is. It's not a blur fest like other switch games.

It's a great game. Don't miss out on it because numbers.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Its funny how so many people rush to poopoo a game they'd probably never play anyway. So many graphics snobs nowadays. Its a free market man, don't buy it. Like seriously, since 2017 and the earlier rumors we all knew the Switch was a lower spec system. Its part of Nintendo's DNA. I fully expect the next system to be just as low frankly, an improvement to be sure, but people will complain about that too. DF and anybody else doing videos like this is just low-hanging fruit for people that'd just rag on a game rather than play one, seriously. People hating on a game they weren't going to play anyway, in such hyperbole(shit, trash, garbage etc) is far more insufferable than dealing with frame rates and resolutions. Incessant whiney bishes. Like damn, life is full of wonder and greatness, how can someone be so desperate to mope and complain about the smallest most insignificant things? Its a commercial product on an old low-spec system. Big whoop.
This is a gaming enthusiast forum. We talk about games we like and dislike. We talk about the business of the industry, the tech, framerate, graphics, gameplay, combat, etc. There will be times when games get shit on.

Releasing a sub 480p game in 2022 is one of those times. Its nothing personal. A game can be good with trash tech. The technology in this game is trash. It looks like trash, and thats just how it is. And thats not hyperbolic in the slightest.

If you dont like that then we cant help you. But people have every right to point it out.

Killer8

Surprised they didn't just lock it down at 720p docked and use FSR or something in handheld mode.

I imagine it's a CPU limitation of some sort that just dropping the resolution couldn't solve. The game is doing a lot more than the previous games with the kaiju bits and environment destruction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom