• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 3 on Switch - DF Tech Review - A Great Game with Polish & Performance Issues

Fbh

Is it already completely playable? Not sure i want to play at 480p.....

Don't know. Just searched on youtube and found that video.
The description seems to indicate it's all playable and gives some tips to avoid issues. Though they say all cutscenes have dalayed audio.

I'll personally play on Switch as I don't have a PC that can emulate it.

Let's wait until this game releases. We don't want to get excited over another 'Bayonetta/DMC killer' that might end up as another dud with only a good looking protagonist. We've seen that exact thing happen before:

header.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Yup.

Remember when bright memory infite was going to be the most mind blowing next gen FPS that was going to put AAA studios to shame?
Yeah...

Spyxos

Gold Member
Don't know. Just searched on youtube and found that video.
The description seems to indicate it's all playable and gives some tips to avoid issues. Though they say all cutscenes have dalayed audio.

I'll personally play on Switch as I don't have a PC that can emulate it.

Yup.

Remember when bright memory infite was going to be the most mind blowing next gen FPS that was going to put AAA studios to shame?
Yeah...
Ha, I still have the Xblade Tshirt.

-Zelda-

Banned
Let's wait until this game releases. We don't want to get excited over another 'Bayonetta/DMC killer' that might end up as another dud with only a good looking protagonist. We've seen that exact thing happen before:

header.jpg
Not gonna lie, I kind of miss X blades. Wish I still had it. Voice acting was rough, and Ayumi was """overly objectified""" but it was still an oddly satisfying playthrough for what it was.

Arent these Digital Foundry people those idiots that bashed Project Eve for it's sexy protag while also praising that chick from Forspoken?

Chukhopops

Overall it visually looks better and more advanced than Bayo 2, if you want to pick at things maybe the Switch version of Bayo 2 performs better under a microscope.

The series has never been a graphical tour de force, but it's serviceable, plays well and is still nice to look at artistically.

Most importantly, it's a hell of a game.
Can’t wait to play it, both 1 and 2 were top of the line in the action genre.

If it bothers people they’re free to buy something else, don’t care honestly.

Hot5pur

Who gives a fuck? I really wouldn't care if it was 240P and 20fps. As long as the gameplay is great that's all that should ever matter.
This exactly. The human eye can barely see faster than 15 fps. If Nvidia DLSS3 can infer the frames between frames, imagine what the human mind can do.

Honestly games should just be wireframe and have the devs focus solely on the gameplay. The human brain didn't evolve for millions of years not to be able to fill in the gaps while focusing on what's important.

All joking aside, Platinum is just asking people to emulate this travesty of a game. Which is exactly what anyone who takes the character action genre will do.

PhoenixTank

Bit of a cherry picked clickbait OP. Don't remember hearing the word "Xbox" in that entire video.
Didn't he say 810p in docked? Higher than Bayonetta 2's 720p. Framerate is the only thing to be gloomy about really.

I still may buy and emulate when I actually have time to play.

Crayon

Okay I'm done trying to be excited for this. I saw some stellar blade last week, fealt and inkling of being more interested than bayo 3.... bottled up those feelings and screwed the lid on tight lol.

Malcolm9

For a Switch exclusive how the hell is it performing so poorly, surely they know not to exceed what the system is capable of??

LordOfChaos

Harsh but they're right (probably closer to 360 but that would be 720p...), I was hesitant to be too hard on it because fanboys but for some reason it doesn't even look as good as Bayo 2 on Wii U to me? It just seems like a duller aesthetic overall, but not closer to realism in losing its vibrance either.

Last edited:
Their engine evolved since Bayonetta 2, it's probably harder to do leaner games after spending a generation doing PS4 games.

This said, the game doesn't look worse than Bayonetta 2 to me. In fact, I'll argue that I felt that Bayonetta 2 didn't look that much if at all better than Bayonetta 1. It had worse texture and cutscene character models had less polygons.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's amazing how the Bayonetta series spams three generations and yet each game ends up on comparably powered hardware.

I picked this game up, it's great with some very nice art but the image quality and performance are awful. It just feels like they overshot what Switch is capable of. I hope it gets a Switch Pro upgrade down the line.

Last edited:
Wow that is piss poor. Even if it hits 480p that could be forgiven if the framerate was decent, but alas. Really should have waited for the next Nintendo system.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Bit of a cherry picked clickbait OP. Don't remember hearing the word "Xbox" in that entire video.
Didn't he say 810p in docked? Higher than Bayonetta 2's 720p. Framerate is the only thing to be gloomy about really.

I still may buy and emulate when I actually have time to play.
I timestamped it. You didnt have to watch the whole movie.

And yes, 810p docked, sub-480p handheld. sub 50 fps framerate in both modes.

And more fools will complain about 30fps than 480p.

Actually, setpieces in this game are locked at 30 fps. Along with cutscenes. So its clear that even a "60" fps game like this needs to make compromises during storytelling and big epic setpieces.

Last edited:

Isa

Its funny how so many people rush to poopoo a game they'd probably never play anyway. So many graphics snobs nowadays. Its a free market man, don't buy it. Like seriously, since 2017 and the earlier rumors we all knew the Switch was a lower spec system. Its part of Nintendo's DNA. I fully expect the next system to be just as low frankly, an improvement to be sure, but people will complain about that too. DF and anybody else doing videos like this is just low-hanging fruit for people that'd just rag on a game rather than play one, seriously. People hating on a game they weren't going to play anyway, in such hyperbole(shit, trash, garbage etc) is far more insufferable than dealing with frame rates and resolutions. Incessant whiney bishes. Like damn, life is full of wonder and greatness, how can someone be so desperate to mope and complain about the smallest most insignificant things? Its a commercial product on an old low-spec system. Big whoop.

Thanks. Definitely not what OP is implying with the title though.

Context.
I suppose. I think in order to understand the implication of the OP's title, you'd have to understand what type of poster SlimySnake SlimySnake is. He only wants the best for all games. Best graphics, best presentation, best art. He wants video games to reach their ultimate potential. To him(and to some others here including myself at times) there is a ball and chain tied to the ankles of multiple game franchises on the switch because of the switch's very outdated graphical capabilities, and Bayonetta is one of those franchises(ever since it went exclusive). Some of the things DF is pointing out is very worrying, especially the fact that it can't hold a steady 60fps being a character action game.

A lot of people were waiting on a NEW Nintendo Switch/Switch Pro or even a Switch 2, but those rumors went silent a year or so ago. They're wanting that new system because of games like this and because more and more newer 3rd party titles are becoming streaming-only switch games. 2023 is starting to shift into high gear with PS5 and XSX releases. What will Nintendo's response be?

I suppose. I think in order to understand the implication of the OP's title, you'd have to understand what type of poster SlimySnake SlimySnake is. He only wants the best for all games. Best graphics, best presentation, best art. He wants video games to reach their ultimate potential. To him(and to some others here including myself at times) there is a ball and chain tied to the ankles of multiple game franchises on the switch because of the switch's very outdated graphical capabilities, and Bayonetta is one of those franchises(ever since it went exclusive). Some of the things DF is pointing out is very worrying, especially the fact that it can't hold a steady 60fps being a character action game.

A lot of people were waiting on a NEW Nintendo Switch/Switch Pro or even a Switch 2, but those rumors went silent a year or so ago. They're wanting that new system because of games like this and because more and more newer 3rd party titles are becoming streaming-only switch games. 2023 is starting to shift into high gear with PS5 and XSX releases. What will Nintendo's response be?

Nintendo will eventually come out with a Nintendo Switch 2/Successor and it will be moderately more powerful, but still nowhere near the power of modern systems. Nintendo learned long ago that chasing graphical trends kills studios. Just look at how many went under during the boom of HD gaming.

This is how Nintendo has always worked, with maybe one or two exceptions (such as the GameCube). Expecting differently is just living in denial at this point.

And let's be honest - it isn't the hardware that is holding these games back. It is the developers. You have graphically stunning games like Luigi's Mansion 3 and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 that can run nearly flawlessly, but then you have games like Arceus or Bayonetta 3 that run rather poorly - that isn't due to the hardware. That is due to the devs.

jaysius

Banned
They should have scrapped it and slightly changed the assets and made a whole new IP not chained to ancient hardware.

The lack of optimization in a game where speed it key is unacceptable.

Nintendo will eventually come out with a Nintendo Switch 2/Successor and it will be moderately more powerful, but still nowhere near the power of modern systems. Nintendo learned long ago that chasing graphical trends kills studios. Just look at how many went under during the boom of HD gaming.
And once again I'll repeat a past take to say that if Nintendo will continue with this philosophy, they must ensure that their exclusives are running properly when it comes to framerate. Instead we keep receiving exclusives with a variable amount of quality amongst all of them, even with premiere titles like Breath of the Wild, where some of these developers keep aiming for much higher than what the system can handle and us consumers end up with a product we just have to deal with because they made that decision. This isn't the N64 era anymore. sub-30 fps games and games with framerates all over the place shouldn't still be a thing. But we accept it because it's Nintendo.

This is how Nintendo has always worked, with maybe one or two exceptions (such as the GameCube). Expecting differently is just living in denial at this point.
Again, to the above point, I don't need them to make a 4k machine. I just want all of their games to run well.
And let's be honest - it isn't the hardware that is holding these games back. It is the developers.
Agreed. So they need to stop.

You have graphically stunning games like Luigi's Mansion 3 and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 that can run nearly flawlessly, but then you have games like Arceus or Bayonetta 3 that run rather poorly - that isn't due to the hardware. That is due to the devs.
Same as above.

Fbh

Harsh but they're right (probably closer to 360 but that would be 720p...), I was hesitant to be too hard on it because fanboys but for some reason it doesn't even look as good as Bayo 2 on Wii U to me? It just seems like a duller aesthetic overall, but not closer to realism in losing its vibrance either.

It's the environments and art direction
They get into it the video. Basically to accommodate a wider variety of big enemies and the new ability to summon big monsters they made a lot of the environments much bigger than in the previous games and the camera is more zoomed out, but it comes at the cost of them being less detailed. Then you have the city portion which a lot of the marketing and previews have focused on, even if you ignore the graphics it's just an ugly grey urban environment while Bayo 2 opened in a much nicer looking location.

Top Bottom