• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 3 on Switch - DF Tech Review - A Great Game with Polish & Performance Issues

TexMex

I’m not allowed to love Switch? This year alone I got bunch of games I highly enjoyed, but your logic is I shouldn’t enjoy them because of graphics?

It is perfectly reasonable to be able to love games on the Switch while also being able to acknowledge that is objectively a bad, woefully outdated piece of hardware.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It is perfectly reasonable to be able to love games on the Switch while also being able to acknowledge that is objectively a bad, woefully outdated piece of hardware.
Sorry unlike most people in GAF I’m not all that obsess with graphics so Switch not being powerful doesn’t really bother me. I own both PS5 and Switch but I’m playing more on my Switch than I’m with PS5, to me graphics is not all that important as long as it has games I care about.

Chukhopops

Nintendo published games continue not to have points docked from their reviews for poor performing games versus virtually every other publisher huh, feels like this has been happening for a while now.
I had a quick look at just the metacritic summary page and found six reviews mentioning technical issues in the drawbacks. Whether it impacted the score is impossible to prove but it looks like it did.

TexMex

Sorry unlike most people in GAF I’m not all that obsess with graphics so Switch not being powerful doesn’t really bother me. I own both PS5 and Switch but I’m playing more on my Switch than I’m with PS5, to me graphics is not all that important as long as it has games I care about.

It doesn’t have to “bother” you for you to be able to objectively acknowledge that it is also a painfully outdated piece of hardware. You’re very hung up on how much you like the games. That’s completely fine. I like some of the games! That has nothing to do with talking about the massive shortcomings of the hardware.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It doesn’t have to “bother” you for you to be able to objectively acknowledge that it is also a painfully outdated piece of hardware. You’re very hung up on how much you like the games. That’s completely fine. I like some of the games! That has nothing to do with talking about the massive shortcomings of the hardware.
Again I’m personally not bother by fact Switch is not as powerful as PS5, it might bothers you but not me.

Just play the fucking game. Ocarina of Time ran at 20 fps and no one gave a fuck. We just played the game and enjoyed it. Goldeneye ran at 20 fps and no one gave a fuck. We enjoyed the game. Just fucking play it and enjoy it. You won't give a fuck when you're playing it.

sinnergy

Just play the fucking game. Ocarina of Time ran at 20 fps and no one gave a fuck. We just played the game and enjoyed it. Goldeneye ran at 20 fps and no one gave a fuck. We enjoyed the game. Just fucking play it and enjoy it. You won't give a fuck when you're playing it.
In this day and age , we play framerates 🤣

When I played NES and GB, slow down was a feature ! And it was glorious.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
In this day and age , we play framerates 🤣
We literally do... always have. I don't know why N64 games are always brought up to minimize the importance of framerate when literally any game on that console would be vastly improved even at 30fps. Try playing Perfect Day today.

Keihart

game looks amazing for a switch game.
Aesthetically it looks really good for any platform.
The IQ is trash, if you are a fan of counting pixels, you'll be dissapointed.

Performance is more than good, most of the time at 60 on battles, when it dips it's not long and not when it matters.

The game could be better on a more powerfull platform, but no one funds games this crazy, so it is what it is.
this is the Bayonetta with best production values, the animations are something else, and the reuse of assets is not as strong as previous games. The game not only adds a bunch of new enemies and mechanics but retrofits what there was before so there is a shit ton of enemies and shit.

Keihart

Yes the next gen version will be here soon though, Project Eve... Stellar Blade.
VW29Xg3.jpg

cqOptoG.jpg

M0Yd6Ra.jpg
this game looks like hot trash compared to Bayo 3.
Al lthe IQ in the world can't make that look good, the assets and the art direction are not at the level.

PeteBull

this game looks like hot trash compared to Bayo 3.
Al lthe IQ in the world can't make that look good, the assets and the art direction are not at the level.
If only bayo 3 came out for ps5/xss/xsx instead, u would have bayo playstyle/artstyle + hardware actually strong enough to not gimp games performance/ artistic vision of the dev studio who made it =/

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
If only bayo 3 came out for ps5/xss/xsx instead, u would have bayo playstyle/artstyle + hardware actually strong enough to not gimp games performance/ artistic vision of the dev studio who made it =/
How long yet until you and some other people acknowledge that the makers of your “actually strong enough“ hardware don’t feel they need games like Bayonetta to diversify their offer, and if it were for them, Bayonetta wouldn’t even have made it to a second game?

Bayonetta 3 exists because the Switch exists. It is what it is. I see the “stealing our games” salt mine is still in activity, 8 years later.

PeteBull

How long yet until you and some other people acknowledge that the makers of your “actually strong enough“ hardware don’t feel they need games like Bayonetta to diversify their offer, and if it were for them, Bayonetta wouldn’t even have made it to a second game?

Bayonetta 3 exists because the Switch exists. It is what it is. I see the “stealing our games” salt mine is still in activity, 8 years later.
Nah man, for me it would be fine if ninny had actual stationary console or soon switch 2, or even pc, basically any device when devs dont need to feel so constrained, and dont tell me its impossible, even cheap casual orientend stationary console, like 2years old xss, would be plenty for bayo 3 to spread its wings, just want nintendo to give us gamers an option to play it on something stronger than switch, which is about 1/3rd of xbox one which was very weak and outdated even back at its launch in 2013, imagine now, by the end of 2022, i think its very rational request :)

Last edited:
they haven't even lowered the price on the base switch yet..or offered game bundles...there's no reason for them to release a new console
That doesnt mean anything. Switch 2 will be just more expensive ;) There are plenty of reasons to release new hardware. Maybe they could get 3rd party support if they dont release a calculator this time.p

Impotaku

It’s funny watching those babies get mad because it’s switch exclusive the amount of concern trolling is on full display, maybe they should have gotten mad at Microsoft & sony way back when platinum approached both for an opportunity to make a sequel and both said no to them hence no bayo 2/3 for non Nintendo platforms if it wasn’t for Nintendo offering cash bayonetta would have only been one game and faded into obscurity.

I'll play it when it drops to $15 or when it hits Steam as the Nvidia looks show that it will.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There are plenty of games that hit 480p and even 360p on the switch. DF calls them miracle ports. It's pretty much expected by now so people dont really care anymore. It only affects people who own Switch Lite since docked mode doubles the resolution in most cases. And since Switch lite is basically for kids, people here dont really see how bad it can actually look at 360p or 480p unless they play in handheld mode.

Those are ports of games from much more powerful consoles (basically they are ported back a full generation in terms of raw power). This is a game made specifically for the Switch, but it doesn't look or run like it.

Majukun

That doesnt mean anything. Switch 2 will be just more expensive ;) There are plenty of reasons to release new hardware. Maybe they could get 3rd party support if they dont release a calculator this time.p
since it's still gonna work as portable machine, they can't possibly release something that wouldn't need ad hoc, expensive conversions that will third parties think twice before releasing multiplatform there.
in terms of making it more expensive, the higher the price is, the closer it gets to xbox and ps and becomes a progressively harder sell,even with portability

PaintTinJr

Textures are often low resolution and muddy in appearance almost resembling an original xbox game in some ways and by that I mean it resembles the earliest days of using normal maps in a memory constrained environment

Context.
This is where I have issues with DF. Normal maps on Switch - PS3/360 - occasionally is the situation, but Normal maps on OG Xbox, when everything from their texture formats to hardware acceleration was setup for integer formats like using lower quality bump mapping. OG Xbox was almost certainly bump mapping, not normal maps. The only real question is probably whether the Switch in this situation is also using cheaper bump mapping too.

scydrex

Yeah but that was how many years ago? I loved my N64 back then. I was a kid and now today standards are higher. I played a lot of Ocarina, Goldeneye and etc. Loved all of those games and enjoyed them. Back then as a kid with the N64 did i care about FPS drops? No. Did a noticed? No. Now i stopped playing Elden Ring because of the FPS drops. I did affect the gameplay and the smoothest of the gameplay. I decided to wait for the PS5 VRR update and it was worthy 100%.

Last edited:

sinnergy

We literally do... always have. I don't know why N64 games are always brought up to minimize the importance of framerate when literally any game on that console would be vastly improved even at 30fps. Try playing Perfect Day today.
We play it, and enjoy it , for what it is .. nowadays almost no one can enjoy stuff without complaining..

Last edited:

KingT731

Nahh it's because we ere playing on CRT tvs with better response times. Those game did run like ass and we all knew they did lol.

Fbh

My copy got delivered during the day so I got to play yesterday when I got home.
The game itself is really fun so far, played for about 2 hours and they flew by. And honestly the performance didn't bother me too much, yeah you can tell it's nowhere close 60fps but it still plays fine.

But holy fuck is it ugly, haven't been this distracted by blurry and muddy visuals in a while, I'm actually considering finishing it in handheld mode because even though it's like 480p it looks much sharper on the small screen than on my 55" TV. Early on you reach this island with a slightly open environment and with the blurry visuals, muddy textures and pop in it really did feel like an original Xbox game.
Also I redownloaded Bayonetta 2 to compare and even though I know DF says it runs at a lower resolution I swear it looks sharper, I think because the environments are smaller and the camera is more zoomed in, so you see more details on the characters.

So yeah fun game but IMO the horrible IQ is 10 times worse than the uneven framerate.

Does it at least have an unlocked framerate option for future hardware? Or is it stuck in hell?

It targets 60fps so theoretically it should at least reached locked 60fps on a hypothetical Switch 2 with backwards compatibility.
I think the MUCH bigger issue is the resolution though, because if it's locked to those 810p or whatever it is it will always have horribe IQ

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Damn, and I thought people forgot about being salty about this game... Go all you fave publisher to fund it then, good luck btw

Chukhopops

There would be no Bayo 2 without Nintendo, Bayonetta would be as dead as Vanquish.

Generally speaking the character action genre has been replaced by Souls-style, slower, jumpless, behind the character camera action games (see old GoW vs new GoW for example). Nintendo is the last one funding games like Astral Chain or Bayo today.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
I mean, sure the Switch is objectively outdated. So is the PS5. Even a 4090 rig will be objectively outdated some time next year when the Ti or Super arrives.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
My copy got delivered during the day so I got to play yesterday when I got home.
The game itself is really fun so far, played for about 2 hours and they flew by. And honestly the performance didn't bother me too much, yeah you can tell it's nowhere close 60fps but it still plays fine.

But holy fuck is it ugly, haven't been this distracted by blurry and muddy visuals in a while, I'm actually considering finishing it in handheld mode because even though it's like 480p it looks much sharper on the small screen than on my 55" TV. Early on you reach this island with a slightly open environment and with the blurry visuals, muddy textures and pop in it really did feel like an original Xbox game.
Also I redownloaded Bayonetta 2 to compare and even though I know DF says it runs at a lower resolution I swear it looks sharper, I think because the environments are smaller and the camera is more zoomed in, so you see more details on the characters.

So yeah fun game but IMO the horrible IQ is 10 times worse than the uneven framerate.

It targets 60fps so theoretically it should at least reached locked 60fps on a hypothetical Switch 2 with backwards compatibility.
I think the MUCH bigger issue is the resolution though, because if it's locked to those 810p or whatever it is it will always have horribe IQ
Yeah, i think its the lack of details. i dont think even PS3 era games were lacking this much detail. its not the resolution or the IQ, it's just a very muddy looking game. Clearly because the scale is so massive that they simply couldnt make everything with a high level of detail.

I mean the first setpiece is huge. they literally have a giant yacht crashing through nyc. Someone throws the empire state building at a boss. water swallows the entire city in realtime cutscenes. it is clearly supposed to be epic, but none of it landed for me because the visual quality of it is so poor.

I am not saying its a bad game. I posted this thread but tbh, the setpieces in the DF review sold me. I had no intention of buying the game before this. However, I take issue with people like Danjin who trash posters for saying fidelity matters as if we were born yesterday and havent been playing games since the atari days. I love that PG is being ambitious with this title and isnt letting the specs come between them and their vision, but I can also see that their ambitious game is clearly being held back by the outdated visuals because despite the incredible effort put into these elaborate setpieces, they dont quite inspire awe like a naughty dog or SSM setpiece would with better visual fidelity.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
All I will say is thank god I can enjoy games without obsessing over technicals.
Sometimes it is unavoidable, but I'd rather play Bayo 2 at it's fluctuating framerate or Xenoblade 2 on Switch than A Plague Tales are constant 35-42fps my PC, somehow it feels worse on there then on consoles, idk about Bayo 3 though, hopefully by the time I decide to play it I will have a Switch Super out whatever it's called, Zelda coming early next year sets me optimistic for first time, maybe because it would be a normal Nintendo console cycle following up

I only play Switch in handheld and this is so bad in handheld. What a shame. What are the chances that with enough pressure the devs put out a patch to improve the resolution? Probably nil, right? There's no way any of us couldbe predicted this low ofa res considering Bayo 2 looks sharp and fantastic in handheld mode.

I feel bamboozled a little bit by Nintendo. Why wouldn't Nintendo work closely with Platinum on such an important exclusive? 470p is awful!

I'm not exactly in love with the changes to gameplay either. The Demon summoning is stupid there's no skill involved with that. I shpuld try playing on hard.

Sometimes it is unavoidable, but I'd rather play Bayo 2 at it's fluctuating framerate or Xenoblade 2 on Switch than A Plague Tales are constant 35-42fps my PC, somehow it feels worse on there then on consoles, idk about Bayo 3 though, hopefully by the time I decide to play it I will have a Switch Super out whatever it's called, Zelda coming early next year sets me optimistic for first time, maybe because it would be a normal Nintendo console cycle following up
470p though makes what would otherwise be a nice looking game just plain bad. Also, it's literally hard to see Bayonetta at times so it does affect gameplay too.

There would be no Bayo 2 without Nintendo, Bayonetta would be as dead as Vanquish.

Generally speaking the character action genre has been replaced by Souls-style, slower, jumpless, behind the character camera action games (see old GoW vs new GoW for example). Nintendo is the last one funding games like Astral Chain or Bayo today.
Have you played Soulstice?

Top Bottom