• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 3 on Switch - DF Tech Review - A Great Game with Polish & Performance Issues

shiru

Banned
Nice clickbait thread title OP. Game looks nice enough considering the huge amount of action on screen.

N64 games are still perfectly playable and enjoyable. This elitist attitude of "I won't touch a game that runs under 120 FPS" is laughable.
They'd be far more playable and enjoyable at good framerates. I wouldn't call Perfect Dark and Banjo Tooie's sub-20fps on the N64 "perfectly playable".

Astral Dog

Curious, i been playing for hours and keep being marveled at the beautiful animation, and how responsive the controls feel, there is no way an original Xbox could run this game, and yet its still feels more polished than 90% of (bug filled) games out there.

so far i only played on handheld mode, maybe that has something to do with it 🤷🏻‍♂️ like guys i been waiting years for Bayonetta 3 and its simply far beyond anything seen in Bayonetta 1 and 2, even the details like the way the Gates of Hell are presented , all cutscenes being fully animated, the content, the setpieces,the combat, damn! 😍 it even looks gorgeous on the actual Switch screen, no sub native resolution bullshit

Let me get this straight, it runs in a higher resolution in docked mode than handheld? I thought the dock didn't actually add any power to the Switch, am I just dumb and missing something?

I definitely wish the resolution was better, I had a hard time staring at Bowser's Fury sometimes in handheld mode.

Game sounds like a bit of a disaster between the graphics and the controversy with the voice actress, I really don't understand why they felt looking worse than 2 was acceptable.

F31 Leopard

Just picked up my pre-order and the Trinity Masquerade Edition is pretty huge. Can't wait to fire this game up. Nobody made an OT thread yet?
e0KKNKo.jpg

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Sounds rough and very ambitious for the Switch.

I thought the dock didn't actually add any power to the Switch, am I just dumb and missing something?
iirc the Switch runs at higher clock speeds when attached to the dock (or rather a power outlet) and lower clock speed in handheld mode to conserve power/save battery.

Isa

This is a gaming enthusiast forum. We talk about games we like and dislike. We talk about the business of the industry, the tech, framerate, graphics, gameplay, combat, etc. There will be times when games get shit on.

Releasing a sub 480p game in 2022 is one of those times. Its nothing personal. A game can be good with trash tech. The technology in this game is trash. It looks like trash, and thats just how it is. And thats not hyperbolic in the slightest.

If you dont like that then we cant help you. But people have every right to point it out.
Never said people can't. I'm only noticing the usual jump to absurd rhetoric over a videogame. Looks like trash? Come on that's overboard. Granted one man's trash is another man's treasure, but a simple resolution isn't making this a piece of garbage. All I'm saying is that people would do well to tone down the hateful echo chamber.

PG is limited by time, tech, money and talent. Nintendo is limited by the hardware decisions that went into the Switch. To expect some magnificent current gen technical marvel is absurd, where any last-gen port is a borderline miracle that it even runs at all. The Witcher 3 is far blurrier but I don't recall the hate. Alan Wake is rough but totally playable. Bayonetta 3 is a perfectly serviceable character action game that looks better than many other games on the system. I merely think people are being unreasonable. Rude even. Hell given how so many games since 2020 have been filled with bugs and other issues I'd say a game that ships intact, relatively bug free and runs well while being a good time is win. I'm a glass is half full kind of person. I don't think there is really anything to point out since we know what we bought when we got a Switch. DF's video is low-hanging fruit that easily riles up people to complain about something.

Not trying to be a dick, sorry if I came off that way. I just wish people could look at the positive once in a while, especially in the hobby we love. Not saying that constructive criticism isn't warranted or allowed.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Let me get this straight, it runs in a higher resolution in docked mode than handheld? I thought the dock didn't actually add any power to the Switch, am I just dumb and missing something?

I definitely wish the resolution was better, I had a hard time staring at Bowser's Fury sometimes in handheld mode.

Game sounds like a bit of a disaster between the graphics and the controversy with the voice actress, I really don't understand why they felt looking worse than 2 was acceptable.
The dock doesn't "add performance", it's all the same hardware, but the switch clocks down a bit in handheld mode to conserve battery.

In theory this is justified because docked mode is meant to target 1080p and the Switch screen in handheld is 720p, but when you encounter games that can't really hit either target like this or Xenoblade 2 you can get some pretty blurry results.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I guess it's more important to bitch about the graphics instead of having fun
Thats how GAF is, graphics has more value over everything else. The most popular topics here is either about graphics or controversy, here you barely see people talk about actual game itself.

Aggelos

Yes the next gen version will be here soon though, Project Eve... Stellar Blade.

VW29Xg3.jpg

Let's wait until this game releases. We don't want to get excited over another 'Bayonetta/DMC killer' that might end up as another dud with only a good looking protagonist. We've seen that exact thing happen before:

header.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I'd say, the Koreans of Shift UP are at it! Koreans are crazy. They are a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
Game would look a lot better if it was a long horse sequence trough a narrow corridor with absolutely nothing happening like in other games.

Just picked up my pre-order and the Trinity Masquerade Edition is pretty huge. Can't wait to fire this game up. Nobody made an OT thread yet?
e0KKNKo.jpg
That does look pretty rad.

What's in it?

iirc the Switch runs at higher clock speeds when attached to the dock (or rather a power outlet) and lower clock speed in handheld mode to conserve power/save battery.
Ohhhhh, ok, that makes sense.

Last edited:

radewagon

Why are people making the argument that sub 480p is fine since gameplay is more important than graphics? It's not like we can't have both. We can have BOTH. It's not an either or scenario. Good gameplay with good graphics are common place on the Switch. Seriously, the game can't hit 480p in handheld? It's not a high water mark or anything. The PS2 could hit 480p (sometimes). Bayo 3 not hitting 480p is the most embarrassing thing I have heard in a long time. All involved with this release should be ashamed of that garbage tier performance.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why are people making the argument that sub 480p is fine since gameplay is more important than graphics? It's not like we can't have both. We can have BOTH. It's not an either or scenario. Good gameplay with good graphics are common place on the Switch. Seriously, the game can't hit 480p in handheld? It's not a high water mark or anything. The PS2 could hit 480p (sometimes). Bayo 3 not hitting 480p is the most embarrassing thing I have heard in a long time. All involved with this release should be ashamed of that garbage tier performance.
There are plenty of games that hit 480p and even 360p on the switch. DF calls them miracle ports. It's pretty much expected by now so people dont really care anymore. It only affects people who own Switch Lite since docked mode doubles the resolution in most cases. And since Switch lite is basically for kids, people here dont really see how bad it can actually look at 360p or 480p unless they play in handheld mode.

hussar16

Pixar on VHS.
Thts actually very objective because technicly Bayonetta 3 uses more advanced shaders and lighting engine but maybe Bayonetta 2 uses their old last gen tech a little better. Like Bayonetta 2 fits the 360 Era with its graphics while Bayonetta 3 looks more like a ps4 game.me I prefer Bayonetta 3 looks the 360 era bloom was to much

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Beat me to it. I love the Switch and it's concept, but it is way overdue for a successor. 480p resolution is just unacceptable. Some games are optimized really well for the Switch but it seems more and more games are struggling to get the most out of it.

Well if ms or Sony would get off moving and launch a hybrid, you'd have a new switch right away. But no completion allows Nintendo to milk it forever.

F31 Leopard

ok... this is highly annoying... does it have a reverse cover that matches the other 2?
Yes Bayonetta 3 has reversible cover that matches. Not sure why Bayo 1 and 2 are shrink-wraped when the cases are empty. It would've been nice they included all the games and made it a trilogy set instead.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Playing this right now and man if this was next Gen i would be losing my mind right now, but despite all the cool shit and crazy scale of the setpieces, it feels rather underwhelming. I think it just proves that graphics need to be a certain quality for the spectacle to have an impact. Right now it feels a bit dated despite the fact the game is doing things even the best Sony cinematic games weren’t doing. The scale is just massive.

I really wish platinum were given a chance to make metal gear rising 2 on last gen consoles. It would’ve looked amazing. Scalebound had incredible visuals. It sucks that this obviously very talented and ambitious dev can only get Nintendo to fund their games.

Who gives a fuck? I really wouldn't care if it was 240P and 20fps. As long as the gameplay is great that's all that should ever matter.
How could you even have “good gameplay” if you can’t see clearly due to resolution and you can’t play smoothly due to slideshow level frame rate.

Top Bottom